Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
When you start looking at foot speed, Pujols is actually the most successful negative WAR player of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Intruder posted:

We kept OJ's rushing record without adjusting it in any way even though he set it when there were 14 games in a season

We kept Jim Brown's career rushing record as well, and Marino's passing record. All of them played when the game was vastly different than it is today

Football gets the axe too

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Ty Cobb's stats don't matter because we don't know how many times he grounded into double plays.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Pre-Statcast players will be denoted by the StatcasteriskTM

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Professor Funk posted:

I'm really curious what Didi would get in this market. 5 years, $90 million?

A Spring training invite

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
"Your player's home/away splits are too big"

signed unironically,

Red Sox Fan

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Johnny Bravo posted:

Trout is gonna make 40mil a year and the Angels better pay it

The Millville Meteoric Contract

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

JoeCL posted:

I would just like to point out that every person in this Arenado debate has used a stat that adjusts for park factor except for the guy claiming that his offense is overrated because of the park he plays in.

Actually I think if you look hard enough at this Away Split, you'll see he's actually Dante Bichette. I rest my case.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
The more amusing thought is that the ownership wanted to badmouth Zaidi to the press and the best they could do is contact Smash Mouth.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
The biggest waste of time in modern MLB is the time between the pitches, and that's what's slowing the game down. Does anyone enjoy those 3 minute interludes where no pitches are thrown? The times when nothing is happening because the batter wants to call time, or the pitcher wants call time, or the pitcher is intentionally stalling to force the batter to call time?

I endorse lifetime bans for players caught doing it, personally.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I personally don't care if if brings in new viewership or not, I just think it's dumb when games are getting longer because of nothing happening as opposed to things happening. There's some pitchers and batters that make their own broadcasters beg for death they're so slow.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
If they cared about viewership they'd end blackout restrictions and put games on literally every video service.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Ban the shift and put a dot where players have to stand --> create more web gems --> turn Albert Pujols into a machine again.

I don't think I agree with any of these things, but some people *do* think banning the shift would create more defensive plays and more balls in play which does maybe have merit? I really, really like the defensive statcast stuff where they show how far a guy runs to make a play and the star rating for how difficult it was.

Better idea: You can still shift, but the infielders have to be standing at their normal positions until the pitcher starts to throw. Shifting now becomes a matter of actually beating the ball to the gap on the right side of the infield.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

I think it's a clear proposal. It'll get more infielders moving!

(It's not a real suggestion)

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Phillies should have looked at his Away Splits before agreeing to this

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
The radar strike zone will probably result in even more strikeouts so all those other changes probably won't end up mattering.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

The Pussy Boss posted:

Pretty cool stat, where they tweak the formula and a player's career value goes up or down by 50% overnight.

"Please think of the Doumits"

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Speaking of strikeouts and bad hitters, Andrelton Simmons has played 7 seasons and been worth 34.8 B-R WAR, with about 70% of his value coming from his defense, as demonstrated by his 86 OPS+ from '12-'16. However, his offense has improved to league-average for the last two seasons(103, 109 OPS+ in '17 & '18 respectively), while still being an extremely good defender. Add it all up, and he's actually been a really valuable player over the last two seasons. He's also one of the few players who has kept his strikeouts down which is neat. Obviously he's not as exciting as Mike Trout, but I'm interested in seeing how his 2019 goes and if he can stay on that same track.

So all together, there's three players on the Angels I'm excited to check in on over the course of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Angels dudes: who is this guy and why is this happening at midnight?

https://twitter.com/JohnSheaHey/status/1110435532662726656

Well now there's... Still only three Angels I'm excited about!