Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't think there's much of any argument that Trout is the better player by WAR. He does everything well. There's like...half a dozen guys ever who did everything as well as he does. Maybe less?

Pujols was still a better hitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

bawfuls posted:

park and context adjusted stats disagree with you on this

Struck out less, on base more, more dingers, more XBHs agree though. I'm comfortable where I sit.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Intruder posted:

Pujols also had more good bats around him, like Larry Walker and Jim Edmonds, unlike Trout who has nothing but worthless bats, like Albert Pujols

jesus christ we're through the looking glass here people

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

technically bewbies wasn't directly comparing counting stats since he added an extra year to Pujols :v:

i dont think that was me, man

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

tadashi posted:

There's an extra year of WAR in there for Pujols.... Even if you go by WAR7 (best no 7 season by WAR regardless of they're consecutive):

Trout WAR7: 63.8

Pujols WAR7: 61.7

Mike Trout has the fourth best WAR7of all center fielders who ever played.

Pujols is 2nd all-time among 1st basemen in WAR7

Mays, Mantle...Dimaggio? Or speaker maybe?

Gehrig? or Foxxxxx?

the crazy thing is trout probably has 2 or 3 more of those "top 7" seasons left to play yet

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
man, someone could have won a lot of money off of me by getting me to bet that cobb wasn't a RF.

sort of like how i was absolutely certain at one point that steve martin had been an SNL cast member

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
ESPN would like to remind you that one time Bo Jackson hit a baseball 515 feet

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

alpha_destroy posted:

Saint Louis, in the regard of not having a unified identity, is kind of emblematic of the state as a whole I think. I mean, both Missouri's cities are split between two states, KC more so. That isn't the same mechanism as racial segregation, but I think it does mean that Missouri itself lacks a kind state pride that other states might have. Southern MO might as well be Arkansas.

I could actually go into a really long rambling series of thoughts about this that center mostly around the Civil War but I'm sure everyone would rather see me sock a few dingers

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
this is from a while ago but re. women sports etc, in the NHL all star skills comp this year they had a lady skate a hot lap and she beat a few NHL all stars' times. it was incredible

then the NHL hosed it up and an announcer got all creepy

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Carlosologist posted:

https://twitter.com/barrysvrluga/status/1101219673373360133?s=21

drat the Nats really had the lowball to end all lowballs

this is like publishers clearing house poo poo lol

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Mike Trout is the Mickey Mantle of baseball

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
salvy :(

By all rights he should be the most popular baseball player on the planet

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Remember when everyone was ready to go to the guillotine because of collusion and then three of the largest contracts in the history of professional sports were handed out in the space of the week

I love the drama

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

has anybody lost their enthusiasm for guillotining ownership? I haven't

hard but fair

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

lmao literally the next post was some rich gently caress beating his wife in public, the world makes the case for guillotines naturally, one does not need to go looking

an interesting argument, guilt by association. do you also apply it across race and religion or is it only socioeconomic class?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mike_V posted:

God how bad are the Royals gonna be this year without Perez?

they're actually going to be really good, because they're going to set the all time record for stolen bases

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

of note: Jack white just gave $10k to this which I find quite cool

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
when you go down the WAJM (what about jack morris) rabbit hole pretty much everyone should be in the hall of fame, myself included. it is best to chalk that one up as a mistake. same with WAHB, which is about to overtake WAJM as the preferred hall of fame argumentation position.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
kershaw's entire career trajectory reminds me a lot of maddux. he should add a hard sinker/cutter and start his new life as a groundball pitcher who never sees the 7th inning.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

This has to be violating some sort of clause or rule or something, right?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

howe_sam posted:

Pedro works for the Red Sox as a pitching consultant and also does plenty of studio stuff. A-Rod is a special advisor to the Yankees. It's not that uncommon. You'd have to think if Mendoza was doing anything beyond the usual ex-player special advisor stuff with the Mets she wouldn't have time to do Sunday Night Baseball.

Wow, color me surprised. I hope she stays on as an announcer even if the baseball ops thing works out, she's fantastic.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
so i'm just starting to dive into fantasy this year and....I'm not sure that in the 20 or so years i've been playing fantasy baseball that i've ever seen a weaker position than catcher this year. Gary sanchez is going #2 on espn right now (83rd overall) and he hit .186 last year for fucks sake.

Is this reflective of some broader trend to get good bats away from that position or is this just a one off thing?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
royals buck night was and still is important to me and I'll be damned if I didn't eat hundreds of those hot dogs

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...ing-philly-life

Bryce Harper is basically most of this thread

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i love the 3 batter minimum and embrace its effect on pitchers and game time alike

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Pussy Boss posted:

Yeah, this. It takes strategy out of the hands of the manager and forces teams to use non-optimal pitching matchups at key points in a game. Imagine not being able to bring in your best RP with the game on the line because of some arbitrary rule. It's awful and I hope there's an outcry that gets this overturned before they implement it. Ugh.

Here's something to consider: all sports rules are ultimately arbitrary.

edit - except those designed to keep players safe, I guess

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Bold take. Discussing rules is utterly meaningless.

Untrue: arguments about things that have no true answer are the best arguments

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Paracaidas posted:

Yet another set of rule changes and the cowards won't do the needful.

Expand the DH past the pitcher. Give me your gold glove caliber centerfielders who can't hit a lick, and the slow dingerslugging clods who should never pick up a mitt.

Also let teams shuffle their batting orders for the 9th inning.

vv :agreed:

I actually kind of love this. Baseball and soccer and hockey are kind of the only sports where every player (pitchers and goalies aside) has to be able to do everything, at least to a certain extent.

Imagine what baseball would look like if you had a defensive unit and an offensive unit

bewbies fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 15, 2019

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

ketchup vs catsup posted:

100M more than Harper for 1 year less?

he's way better

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Whooping Crabs posted:

This is the baseball market inefficiency that GMs and owners will use to build the next championship team - sign lots of good (but not superstar) players for cheap, short deals without having a superstar contract

It's terrible for players but it's keeping small and mid-market teams competitive

Yeah this.

The odd thing to me is that the NHL has gone completely the other direction...good-not-great players are getting beefy contracts while superstars are being consistently paid less than they are probably worth. The NBA is probably worse...NBA superstars are really only getting a fraction of their real value.

Unsure how to feel about this in the context of the sports labor struggle.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
and electronic warfare enters the realm of baseball

don't ask the air force for help, they axed all those capabilities

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
reminder than in our group OOTP game last year willians astudillo put together a solid career as a backup catcher and then went on to become the best paid manager in baseball over the next two decades despite never winning anything

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

He also wore a baseball hat with his suit if I recall correctly.

Correct, which when combined with his ample chin made it look rather like he was a circus bear wearing a beanie

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
It looks like Lucas Duda is going to continue his march to the Hall of Fame in a Royals uniform

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i feel like you all are seriously underestimating what speed do when it comes to evaluating the Royals chances for winning the world series this year