Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
College baseball started last week but it's pretty in keeping with the sport to not notice it till a good ways into the season; anyway, here's a thread for all your position player pitching, comedy fielding, bat pinging, constant bunting, upset pulling, rain delay jousting needs. No real urgency to check in until May or so, but go check out some games if any are near you, they're pretty cheap and good ways to force yourself out of the house. My office is less than 500 feet from the field at my present employer, so I'll try to post pics from a game or two at some point.

Early polls are meaningless but if you must consult them I recommend the CBI Composite, which smooths out the huge anomalies present in any single poll. Short answer is LSU and Vanderbilt are expected to be very good and after that there's a lot of good teams that are not as superior—including defending champions Oregon State, who will have every chance of making Omaha again but will really miss their child-molesting ace. As advanced stats go, there's no outright Kenpom equivalent, but Boyd's World hosts a few different computer ranking systems.

There's [url=https://www.baseballamerica.com/college/stories/tons[/url] of info online about NCAA baseball now, and also lots of games on TV or streaming on WatchESPN or conference networks. Scoreboard options are pretty limited: D1Baseball is reliable but costs for live updates; the NCAA one is free but slow. Might be best to check individual schools' pages.

code:
Rank						BA	CB	D1	NC 	PG	US	Sum Last rank
1	LSU (39-27)				2	1	2	2	1	1	9	NR
2	Vanderbilt (35-27)			1	2	1	1	3	2	10	18
3	UCLA (38-21)				3	3	5	4	4	7	26	NR
4	Texas Tech (45-20)			8	4	3	3	5	4	27	6
5	Florida (49-21)				4	6	6	6	9	3	34	3
6	Oregon State (55-12-1)			10	7	8	5	2	5	37	1
7	North Carolina (44-20)			5	8	7	7	6	6	39	5
8	Stanford (46-12)			7	5	12	8	7	9	48	15
9	Louisville (45-19)			11	9	4	9	8	8	49	NR
10	Florida State (43-19)			6	10	13	10	14	11	64	NR
11	Ole Miss (48-17)			13	11	10	11	10	10	65	17
12	Georgia (39-21)				15	13	9	12	22	13	84	20
13	Mississippi State (39-29)		9	27	14	13	17	15	95	4
14	East Carolina (44-18)			12	35	11	14	11	14	97	NR
15	Baylor (37-21)				16	21	15	16	12	18	98	NR
16	Arkansas (48-21)			18	25	16	15	13	12	99	2
17	Clemson (47-16)				14	15	24	17	24	19	113	19
18	Auburn (43-23)				17	23	22	19	15	20	116	13
19	Coastal Carolina (43-19)		23	12	21	22	25	22	125	NR
20	Michigan (33-20)			20	39	17	23	19	25	143	NR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Also

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
I think you'll find, actually, that early season polls are perfect and dead-on.

Oh look what a coincidence, LSU is #1, I had no idea

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
Our sex offender has finally left the building... but so did everyone else, including the coach.

I just hope the Beavs make the tourney. It seems like most are underestimating the loss of six starters from the lineup. Won’t be a top seed unless some of the new guys really step up. We do have that guy named Adley.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

NC State walked off (scampered off?) in the bottom of the 11th today against Kent State thanks to a severely misjudged popup. https://twitter.com/TechSports/status/1099086477584146432

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i remember seeing darwin barney and oregon state at virginia in the 2007 ncaa tournament regionals. i think i was actually at the 13-inning game we won, but they won the elimination game, beat virginia twice, then won the college world series for the second year in a row

it was a nice game to be at, though, uva stadiums are generally good about having a grass slope for one to lie on, if one is inclined to do so. a few years later i saw us beat vanderbilt for the championship in a bar. it was nice. go hoos

also, i happen to live less than a mile from a division I college baseball stadium, and they are playing a game tomorrow afternoon. i think im gonna go.

thanks for the thread

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

NC State walked off again, this time with an 11th inning homer by stud catcher Patrick Bailey against a very good Coastal Carolina team.

oystertoadfish posted:

thanks for the thread

np

I miss UVA’s stadium already but with the renovations the ticket price was really starting to creep up

Porting this over:

ScottyJSno posted:

Screw the celebrities playing in Spring Training games. Can we get this girl a spring training invite?

https://twitter.com/espnW/status/1099672582138314752?s=19

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

elentar posted:

Porting this over:

Holy gently caress

That’s amazing.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/NCAACWS/status/1099692187565076480

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

^^^that is incredible^^^

So far LSU has predictably cruised through the early non-cons. Bullpen looks kind of assy but the offense has been fire. This weekend series at Texas should be a banger and a pretty good signifier of how the rest of the season may play out.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

LSU had a bad week so Vandy is the new #1. Also Oregon State is up to 2. Meanwhile, in the "things that happen in college baseball" file, San Diego beat UC Riverside 31-3.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

UF's offense has been MASHING (continued and perplexing futility against lesser in-state competition notwithstanding).

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

mactheknife posted:

^^^that is incredible^^^

So far LSU has predictably cruised through the early non-cons. Bullpen looks kind of assy but the offense has been fire. This weekend series at Texas should be a banger and a pretty good signifier of how the rest of the season may play out.

lol oops that didn't work out so well

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

Beavs have been okay... but i'm worried about our hitting. It looked great opening weekend, but the bats have gone cold the last two games. Hitting into 5 double plays last Sunday for our first loss. Brutal. We'll see if the young guys can make adjustments. Should be some good games this weekend at T-Mobile Park (Seattle). Facing off against tournament teams Minnesota, Indiana and Coastal Carolina.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

UF shithousing FSU 20-7 to extend our win streak to 9 was loving :discourse:

I like this new dominant trend in our rivalry. Feels goot.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

The week after a disappointing series loss in a H-N-H setup to the hated Gamecocks, Clemson swept #3 UNC at the Doug. Game 1 & 3 featured walkoff wins for the Tigers; the Sunday affair was a 2 run HR with 2 outs on a 2-2 pitch.
Game one however ended on a walk off BALK. College Baseball y'all!

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

LSU's recent habit of preseason #1 then getting knocked off by schools like Northwestern State is getting pretty old!

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

NC State picked up their first loss of the season today after going 19-0 to start the season, easily a school record. Among those 19 games were some truly ridiculous comebacks and a lot of one-run games, so there's got to be some reversion to the mean at some point. But they still got the series win over a Florida State team that is a consensus top-10 team.

The loss leaves Arizona State as the lone undefeated team in college baseball.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Vandy blasted the Gators and salted the earth.

Cool....cool.....cool........cool

:smith:

Guess this isn't likely to be our year. Vandy and Miss St look like the real deal.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

LSU is...fine

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Came out of a lighting delay with an rbi single, a 3 run home run, and a double. These Tigers are having fun now.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

State sweeps Miami in Miami, coming back from a ninth-inking deficit yet again. This team is wild.

Edit: Mississippi State won a totally normal game against Auburn today 20-15.

elentar fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 24, 2019

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

elentar posted:

Edit: Mississippi State won a totally normal game against Auburn today 20-15.
Wow I was vaguely following that one on Twitter and last I saw Auburn had retaken a 15-13 lead on a three-run dinger.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Hahahahaha

I love how dumb this sport is

https://twitter.com/uvabaseball/status/1114869179272720384?s=21

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

lol baseball is silly and the mlb players being so effortlessly good really masks it amazingly well

i just saw a walkoff in a D-I game in person, the world is nice. and there were plenty of bad plays but several really good catches. several beers, a gyro. was a good afternoon

haven't followed uva to be quite honest

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

The proposal for the optional third paid assistant in college baseball (and softball) failed today. Most the Big 12 and Big 10 athletic directors voted no. Sounds like some ADs *cough Texas* are not sure they want to do it for softball. So they would be at a competitive disadvantage in that sport. Texas led the nation in revenue last year with $215 million. The vote can't happen again for 2 years.

On the brighter side, this was fun last night:

https://twitter.com/BeaverBaseball/status/1119086281235910656

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Utter bullshit that it failed, all the big money programs have a third assistant they fund through sponsorships or other back channels, so they’re basically just killing off the chance for other schools to make it work above-board. It’s maintaing a competitive disadvantage but of course they frame it as preventing one.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

https://twitter.com/LSUbaseball/status/1131663724786397184

COLLEGE
BASEBALL
IS
EXTREMLELY
COOL
AND
GOOD

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

Yikes! That time of year. What the gently caress pitcher?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

The NCAA Tournament starts tomorrow, here's all the brackets and everything, including a bracket challenge if you want something even more volatile than the basketball version: https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2019-05-30/ncaa-baseball-tournament-bracket-schedule-scores-through-2019

Would be amazed if it's not back to SEC dominance this year but it's a dumb sport so who knows.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Go Dawgs Bitch!!!!!

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

oh cool stony brook is in LSUs regional again what could possibly go wrong

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

almighty bat flip https://twitter.com/ncaasoftball/status/1134265310197035008?s=21

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
gently caress the Liberty *checks notes* Flames?

Really?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

poo poo like this is why college baseball is so much more entertaining than the MLB. The players are so good in professional sports that not enough dumb poo poo "just happens" (tm)

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Georgia, in true Georgia fashion, is facing elimination in their own regional tomorrow

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn came back from getting rocked early in the winners' game against host Georgia Tech and walked them off with a four-run ninth.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

The Greenville regional is wide open, with Quinnipiac beating host ECU and Campbell beating NC State. Campbell’s actually pretty good and could easily go through to the regionals at this point, since either Of the losers is going to have to reel off four straight and everything is already way behind schedule.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

LSU is cruising; which is weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

#1 UCLA lost to Loyola Marymount and now has to beat Baylor once and LMU twice to advance.

Defending champ Oregon State is already out completely, and Michigan is the team to beat there.

Could be an LMU-Michigan super regional for an Omaha spot.