Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Michigan's headed to Omaha for the first time since 1984

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn's chased the UNC starter with five runs and counting in the first.

THREE RUN DINGER OFF THE RELIEVER

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/AUPPL/status/1138143336152412163

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Holy gently caress. That’s a legendary implosion.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

it should be noted that Rod Bramblett's first broadcasting gig was Auburn baseball, so they've got a good motivating factor.

and as a Mizzou fan I'm not at all mad that Florida St and Michigan, two of the last 4 in while Missouri was the first team out, are both going to Omaha, as Bieserball is not something that could work at that big park, no sirree!

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Baseball is an interesting game to me. You build your team to take advantage of your home stadium. Dan Law is a mid-sized park with winds that swing during the season, so Tadlock built a team of good hitters that can pull the ball to either left or right field. It means we hit a good number of HR's at home, but also a lot of extra base hits. His pitchers tend to be strikeout guys, or good at inducing fly balls that just don't quite make it out of our park.

Tech is probably going to be building a new baseball stadium soon. Dan Law is capped at around 5k, with not much room for temp seats for things like regionals. What you want to bet that the new stadium's dimensions and orientation will be almost identical to Omaha's?

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Woo Pig.

Never would have thought we would be back in Omaha this year. Hope it goes better than last year.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Tommy Henry pitched 7 stellar innings in an elimination game at the #1 seed with the flu AND pneumonia

And he won.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

kayakyakr posted:

Baseball is an interesting game to me. You build your team to take advantage of your home stadium. Dan Law is a mid-sized park with winds that swing during the season, so Tadlock built a team of good hitters that can pull the ball to either left or right field. It means we hit a good number of HR's at home, but also a lot of extra base hits. His pitchers tend to be strikeout guys, or good at inducing fly balls that just don't quite make it out of our park.

Tech is probably going to be building a new baseball stadium soon. Dan Law is capped at around 5k, with not much room for temp seats for things like regionals. What you want to bet that the new stadium's dimensions and orientation will be almost identical to Omaha's?

Doubtful, TD Ameritrade is an extreme pitcher's park. If any team builds their home park like that they will have a hard time recruiting power hitters.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Konstantin posted:

Doubtful, TD Ameritrade is an extreme pitcher's park. If any team builds their home park like that they will have a hard time recruiting power hitters.

Just recruit 9 Pete Alonsos (Alonsoes?). Problem solved.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Konstantin posted:

Tadlock doesn't really recruit for HR's anyway. He likes guys who can pinpoint extra base hits to different parts of the field.

Definitely a more boring type of baseball, though. I wonder if they ever modify TD's outfield to make it a bit more home-run friendly, considering that it's really only a college stadium at this point.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

at least we can all agree that Vanderbilt has to go 0-2 so we don't have to hear The Vandy Whistlers any more than the bare minimum

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
CWS gets going today at 2 Eastern.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Go Blue!

Please don't loose to Texas Tech for the 5th time across two sports this year

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Dance McPants posted:

Go Blue!

Please don't loose to Texas Tech for the 5th time across two sports this year

Michigan can win but I want it to go 20 innings

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

tactlessbastard posted:

Michigan can win but I want it to go 20 innings

:same:

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

@_ZachShaw
So Michigan LHP Tommy Henry’s “flu game,” in which he pitched 7-inning, two-run baseball to beat No. 1 UCLA two days after a hospital visit, was more than that. According to doctors this morning, Henry had and has a touch of pneumonia, too.
https://twitter.com/_ZachShaw/status/1138549911992098816

@orion_sang
Erik Bakich says Tommy Henry’s start in Game 3 of the Super Regional was the “gutsiest performance” he has ever seen.
Henry was texting from the hospital — wanted to come into the *Saturday* game
https://twitter.com/orion_sang/status/1138540217533517824

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Goddamn if tech pulls this off, Michigan got completely hosed

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Tech didn't pull it off.

Excellent pitching from Michigan today. The 2-run HR given up was basically golfed out.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/_BlakeEddins/status/1139916325118271490

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
This Parrish fellow is bringing the stuff

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I would really like it if the Arkansas Razorbacks Baseball Club could score a few runs, tia

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

chaoslord posted:

I would really like it if the Arkansas Razorbacks Baseball Club could score a few runs, tia

I mean one would probably do it

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Arkansas blowing games should never surprise me but somehow it always hurts

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

tactlessbastard posted:

I mean one would probably do it

I'm psychic

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Arkansas-Texas Tech is one hell of an early elimination game.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

elentar posted:

Arkansas-Texas Tech is one hell of an early elimination game.

Please elaborate

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

FSUs starter gave up like 18 runs in his last 4 starts and so of course he has the game of his life against us.

Just can never have nice things.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Yikes. Heavy bracket favorites face off for an elimination match.

Tech played a poo of a game today. 2 bad plays by the catcher plus an error gave up 3 of the 5 runs, and 3 runs on 9 hits is pretty bad for a college team. So many stranded runners and missed opportunities. A leadoff single and double only scoring one is sad.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

kayakyakr posted:

Yikes. Heavy bracket favorites face off for an elimination match.

TD is built to eat heavy bracket favorites, it seems.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

it was a (THWEET THWEET THWEET) good day (THWEET THWEET THWEET) for baseball in (THWEET, THWEEEEEEEEET) Omaha today except for the presence of this man

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Hm

Well

A game was played

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah that was something

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

For those that missed it - https://youtu.be/5Ju0Vcwi4Ts

Basically, Auburn gave up 4 runs in the bottom of the 9th in one of the most bizarre game finishes I’ve ever seen

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
I have a light familiar connection to State baseball and really don't like Auburn ever, so that was a fuckin great thing to take in at the bar last night, goddamn

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Boy was that just peak Arkansas

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Tommy Henry pitched an outstanding CGSO in 100 pitches. Michigan is 2-0.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
drat. I didn't want to be facing No 11 until the Friday/Saturday elimination games. I don't want to see FSU in an elimination game...

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

i played long enough that as soon as i saw the 3B triple clutch that ball i knew he was going to airmail it and just said "oh my god"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn and Louisville are back at the hotels expecting a 3+ hour delay. Dunno if that fucks tonight's game out of happening?

And that play, I guess it's really easy to look at it on camera and say just tag the guy but once you've taken the ball out of the glove and set up for a throw even if you realize the tag is there you're probably afraid however you try to do it -- transfer the ball back, tag with the bare hand -- there's a good chance of loving up with the dude barreling into you and losing the ball.