Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Everytime I show someone a photo from my pixel, they freak out about how good it is. That's good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

BaconCopter posted:

gently caress apple.

Also OP, you think "app availability"is worse for Android than iPhone? Wtf, there are tens of thousands of Android apps!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
/\

Android apps: 3.5 million
iOS apps: 2.2 million

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Everytime I show someone a photo from my pixel, they freak out about how good it is. That's good enough.

That's (IMO) the biggest difference between a $200 android phone, and the +$800 flagship phones. The differences between my wife's Moto G4+, my LG Q6, and my friend's Galaxy S9 are pretty much what you would expect if you overlaid a photo quality graph and a phone price graph (they basically line up). My phone's photos are twice as nice as hers, while my friend's S9 is 2 times better than mine. Apparently the Pixel 3 is that much better than the S9.

Other than that, I can't think of any real differences between the various cheap/expensive Android phones, as they all run the same apps the same way. That $1500 S10 isn't going to give you any real advantage when swiping on Tinder, and it's not like that 3GB G4 is going to be bogging down because of app updates any time soon.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 21, 2019

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
can we get a coke vs pepsi thread next?

or maybe a fiji vs dasani one

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

OMFG FURRY posted:

Coke > Pepsi (they both suck, Coke less so)
Tap water > Bottled (assuming you live in a first world country)

\/ Back when I had Prime I ordered and returned 8 different Android boxes before I found one that didn't suck. Then again I was going for the $50-75 bracket.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 21, 2019

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Android isn't just good for phones and tablets. Andriod TV boxes are the best thing ever. Apple TV is garbage compared to Kodi

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
I like Apple products; they make good phones, computers, and software, but it's becoming harder to "own" their devices outright. It's easiest to have control over the device in Android, such as when updates are downloaded, freedom to use alternative dialer and message apps, etc. Android isn't without it's flaws, but it can be tuned to what I feel is a more appropriate model for a personal communications device.

When I got my Moto e4 Plus I removed all the Google apps, most Motorola proprietary software, and excess bloatware. I then added an app firewall to my phone to filter outgoing connections. As a result, my battery went from 1 day standby, out of the box, to at least 3 days with casual use. Of course, hotspotting and low cell service are the biggest factors for draining it quicker than that, but if I keep the hot spot off and stay in decent service, it'll last forever. I didn't have to pay much to get back to the day when a cell phone would last for days without a charge. The main culprit was Google Play Services. I'm excited to see more alternative phones to hit the market this year such as the Pine or Librem models.

For my apps, what I did was stop using those which require Google Play Services extensions to function correctly. I was able to save a copy of my bank's APK and side-load it. F-Droid has a great selection of software, and unlike the Play Store, it's way easier to find apps that don't want Internet permission.

Those of you who want to delete bloatware and don't have root, all you have to do is open an ADB shell and use these commands:
pm list packages (list installed packages)
pm uninstall -k --user 0 [com.package.name]

This will even uninstall apps that do not allow uninstallation from the UI.

BigBadSteve posted:

Also OP, you think "app availability"is worse for Android than iPhone? Wtf, there are tens of thousands of Android apps!

Not to mention on Android they can be side-loaded, beyond just temporary for development like in iOS.

Harsh But True
Oct 13, 2016
I wanted a durable phone with great battery and not-awful processor/ram. And I don't like blowing a grand anytime I destroy a phone. They don't make iPhones that meet those criteria.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I had an android phone in like 2010 and it sucked, so I got an iphone and it was a lot better

also literally if your texts are green I won't be talking to you, sorry

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Because it's free from work and 95% of the stuff you can do on a phone is garbage for idiots that is a pointless distraction at best, or rots your brain and soul at worst. I call/text people, play music through it when cooking or working out, and sometimes take a picture or send an email. Don't need any particular phone for any of that.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

OMFG FURRY posted:

pee pee versus doo doo

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I use my phone for calling and texting people, I use my iPad for apps. There’s the answer.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
people who dont know how to use tasker (android) might as well be using flip phones from the 90s

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

grillster posted:

I like Apple products; they make good phones, computers, and software, but it's becoming harder to "own" their devices outright. It's easiest to have control over the device in Android, such as when updates are downloaded, freedom to use alternative dialer and message apps, etc. Android isn't without it's flaws, but it can be tuned to what I feel is a more appropriate model for a personal communications device.

When I got my Moto e4 Plus I removed all the Google apps, most Motorola proprietary software, and excess bloatware. I then added an app firewall to my phone to filter outgoing connections. As a result, my battery went from 1 day standby, out of the box, to at least 3 days with casual use. Of course, hotspotting and low cell service are the biggest factors for draining it quicker than that, but if I keep the hot spot off and stay in decent service, it'll last forever. I didn't have to pay much to get back to the day when a cell phone would last for days without a charge. The main culprit was Google Play Services. I'm excited to see more alternative phones to hit the market this year such as the Pine or Librem models.

For my apps, what I did was stop using those which require Google Play Services extensions to function correctly. I was able to save a copy of my bank's APK and side-load it. F-Droid has a great selection of software, and unlike the Play Store, it's way easier to find apps that don't want Internet permission.

Those of you who want to delete bloatware and don't have root, all you have to do is open an ADB shell and use these commands:
pm list packages (list installed packages)
pm uninstall -k --user 0 [com.package.name]

This will even uninstall apps that do not allow uninstallation from the UI.

Not to mention on Android they can be side-loaded, beyond just temporary for development like in iOS.

What did you use for the firewall? I'd love to force Instagram and poo poo from connecting to the internet without me opening the app

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I’ve got an iPhone XS Max and it’s pretty sweet tbqh.

-posted from my iPhone XS Max :smuggo:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
stebe jorbs can suck my dick

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
whos rereg are you OP

frh
Dec 6, 2014

gary oldmans diary posted:

people who dont know how to use tasker (android) might as well be using flip phones from the 90s

Can you gimme some ideas as to what you use tasker to do? I wanna get into it

underthecube
Dec 5, 2018
google+pc is much more appealing for the way i use my portables than apple+mac& im still bitter over them taking away the search function on the ipod nanos

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Colonel Cancer posted:

Your 200$ moto is just as good if not better than overpriced garbage. What the gently caress are you going to do with your phone, mine butt coin? You'll just call and message and poo poo post all day, anything beyond that is worthless.

The camera quality is important to me because photography is one of my hobbies but I don't always have or want to have my DLSR camera on me, and the Galaxies, Pixels, and iPhones take drat good photos and video these days. For me, that alone is worth the extra couple hundred bucks.

It's true though that the lower end Android phones have gotten much better than the earlier smartphone days which I think a lot of people still use as their frame of reference.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well, now we can have a flip phone again! Just gotta pay $2,000...

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I prefer google to be my corporate overlord rather than apple OP

Also being forced to used iTunes if I want to do anything involving my computer

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i have a samsung flight II

underthecube
Dec 5, 2018

ovenboy posted:

I'm actually looking around for a new android phone for about 200 bucks, any tips?

get a refurbed/gently used galaxy from a couple generations ago, my s7 still runs beautifully and does the exact same things the newest one does

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

underthecube posted:

get a refurbed/gently used galaxy from a couple generations ago, my s7 still runs beautifully and does the exact same things the newest one does

Only if they bothered to replace the battery, otherwise you're (probably) getting a dogged one that will just get more and more poo poo until the phone can eventually barely hold a charge at all, such as what happened to my refurb S7.

Assuming you even can do that anymore, I guess it's possible but a pain in the rear end because people would rather have a phone 3mm thinner than a battery they can just replace in 3 seconds.

Edit: gently caress phone batteries in general, I want my 7000mAh brick back.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 21, 2019

underthecube
Dec 5, 2018

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Only if they bothered to replace the battery, otherwise you're (probably) getting a dogged one that will just get more and more poo poo until the phone can eventually barely hold a charge at all, such as what happened to my refurb S7.

lol @ the fact that we as a society just accepted our $1000 luxury devices are almost impossible to do basic repairs on

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

also

microSD card slot
analog audio jack

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I like my pixel 3 a whole lot because the camera is aces+ but gently caress me is going without a headphone jack the dumbest thing in the god-damned world. At least decent Bluetooth headphones are down to like 20 bucks, still though.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

underthecube posted:

lol @ the fact that we as a society just accepted our $1000 luxury devices are almost impossible to do basic repairs on

I mean yea it's possible but it's dumb imo that you have to unglue and desolder poo poo for what shouldn't be any more complicated than swapping fresh AAs into a TV remote

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

the reality distortion field wore off after steve jobs died, op

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

KakerMix posted:

I like my pixel 3 a whole lot because the camera is aces+ but gently caress me is going without a headphone jack the dumbest thing in the god-damned world. At least decent Bluetooth headphones are down to like 20 bucks, still though.

While no headphone jack is dumb as heck, it doesn't really matter with my iPhone XS in any reasonable way in practice because I've been using Bluetooth headphones for like 2 years even when I had a cheap iPhone SE. The slight trade-off in audio quality is incredibly worth the convenience in throwing on my Jaybird X3 at work, so I don't even care.

I don't think the vast, vast majority of users ever bother with their headphone jack. It sucks that Google, Apple, and every other dumbass phone manufacturer removed a staple hardware feature in the name of a minuscule fraction of thinness, but it really doesn't matter because everyone pops onto Amazon and picks up a $30 Anker Bluetooth headphone and it's decent enough and less sucky than having to deal with a cable, which is also yet another failure point in our stupid tech world.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 21, 2019

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
im gonna get the S10+

bitch!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

Can you gimme some ideas as to what you use tasker to do? I wanna get into it
basic stuff everyone should be able to do is set up events for times of day and when you exit/enter range of specific wireless networks or whether its charging or not and base tasks off those conditions
dis/enable requiring a pin when youre enter/exit range of your home network, adjust your thermostat, wake your network devices, bring up traffic maps, open shopping lists, download podcasts, open an emulator when you turn on a bluetooth controller, lock your work pc
its customization for you so it entirely depends on what you like or would like to do

frh
Dec 6, 2014

gary oldmans diary posted:

basic stuff everyone should be able to do is set up events for times of day and when you exit/enter range of specific wireless networks or whether its charging or not and base tasks off those conditions
dis/enable requiring a pin when youre enter/exit range of your home network, adjust your thermostat, wake your network devices, bring up traffic maps, open shopping lists, download podcasts, open an emulator when you turn on a bluetooth controller, lock your work pc
its customization for you so it entirely depends on what you like or would like to do

If I wanted it to automatically go to magnetdl.com and download a torrent three days a week could I?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i want a foldable screen phone so i can fold it up and shove it up my rear end

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

KakerMix posted:

The Pixel 3 comes with a headphone adapter though

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have an adreoind because I DONT SUPPORT THE MAN, MAAAN

just kidding I have a real phone

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The lack of the headphone jack has been a complete non issue for me. They come with an adapter and it’s easy to get more. Some people complain about not being able to charge and listen at the same time but the new phones hold a charge so much better that it doesn’t matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

apple people