Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I do it because I am an android

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

If I wanted it to automatically go to magnetdl.com and download a torrent three days a week could I?
depends on how specific a download youre looking for i suppose
you could use say a python script or if thats out of the question have it open the web page and click an x,y coordinate on the screen

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

bradzilla posted:

The Pixel 3 comes with a headphone adapter though

It does but then that's a separate thing to remember to grab since you don't have it connected all the time, if you use an aux input then you can't charge and listen to music at the same time, and I already had my ~ways~ set and going to Bluetooth doesn't benefit me. It's minor but easy to bitch about because the best people can say is "well I didn't use the jack".

It's more apparent since my wife and I have a dealership dealing in 90s and earlier cars and it's piss-easy to add an aux input to the factory headunit, a bit more expensive to add Bluetooth. When we drive them around the aux is what we use.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

gary oldmans diary posted:

basic stuff everyone should be able to do is set up events for times of day and when you exit/enter range of specific wireless networks or whether its charging or not and base tasks off those conditions
dis/enable requiring a pin when youre enter/exit range of your home network, adjust your thermostat, wake your network devices, bring up traffic maps, open shopping lists, download podcasts, open an emulator when you turn on a bluetooth controller, lock your work pc
its customization for you so it entirely depends on what you like or would like to do

could I set it up to turn on BitTorrent whenever I encounter a public WiFi?

youre dick
Jan 29, 2019

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

What if he meant actual gay apps like Grindr or Scruff and this probe was entirely unjustified.

Get with the times grandpa, Grundl is where it's at now

youre dick
Jan 29, 2019

KakerMix posted:

It does but then that's a separate thing to remember to grab since you don't have it connected all the time, if you use an aux input then you can't charge and listen to music at the same time, and I already had my ~ways~ set and going to Bluetooth doesn't benefit me. It's minor but easy to bitch about because the best people can say is "well I didn't use the jack".

It's more apparent since my wife and I have a dealership dealing in 90s and earlier cars and it's piss-easy to add an aux input to the factory headunit, a bit more expensive to add Bluetooth. When we drive them around the aux is what we use.

hey how hard do you think it would be to add an aux input to a 2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca. It's my kid's car and she loves everything about it except having to use the dumb fm transmitter thing for her phone

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

I completely abandoned the idea of Apple for anything after Steve Jobs posted a long "rant" about how "WE will not let FLASH run on OUR devices."

Who gives a poo poo about Flash, but the "WE decide what runs on OUR devices" should be so absolutely offensive to ANYONE who cares ANYTHING about technology and moving forward.

So to me, letting Apple have ANY or your money says you have no problem with being told what you are allowed to do with computer hardware that you paid for with your own money. No you don't own the rights to the hardware but you own the hardware itself, and you, and ONLY you, should be allowed to say what gets to run or not.

(And yes I'm aware that there are multiple browser apps on the Apple store that support Flash like Puffin or Photon, but again it's not about Flash, it's about the "We will not let XX run on OUR devices" line.)

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Rutibex posted:

could I set it up to turn on BitTorrent whenever I encounter a public WiFi?
i dont know about phone bittorrent clients
on pc i expect just about every bittorrent client to have alternate web interfaces that make controlling it as easy as GET request (a regular link or a url in the location bar)

also "open" wifi hotspots at businesses often host a logon portal you have to go through in a browser before your machine gets real access

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 21, 2019

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Can some company just please bring back goddamned land-lines so I never have to have someone ask me about androids and iThingies again?

loving kids these days.

*posts a meme about Millennials on the facebooks, likes and shares it to a friend list comprised of 98% russian bots.*

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

im out of contract and i can get a pixel 3 for $99 canadian dollars should i do it?? what else should i look at??? i have an LG G5 and its kinda getting lovely.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Also I'm an iPhone user and general Apple fan for the most part and I have no problems with most Android device design. The Pixel 3 looks cool as heck and some of the Motorola, OnePlus, LG, etc phones have interesting designs. But holy gently caress, Samsung's design style is horrid. The Samsung Galaxy S10 looks like an ugly brick slab of garbage thrown together with cameras randomly bolted on the back.

Like goddamn this looks bad as gently caress from the back. Samsung's design language is garbage. I don't think Apple is perfect, but their engineers actually think about how a phone feels and looks in your hand vs. just throwing together a rectangular slab that works kind of.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
it looks like theres a bezel sticking out on the back there but i know that couldnt be

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I'm not planning to buy a new one yet but my next phone purchase will be heavily influenced by wether there's a headphone jack or not. Like lmao what the gently caress were apple and google thinking, do these bitches really think I'm gonna get bluetooth headphones instead of buying cheap 50€ headphones every half year as I lose or break my old ones? Just lol.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

numberoneposter posted:

im out of contract and i can get a pixel 3 for $99 canadian dollars should i do it?? what else should i look at??? i have an LG G5 and its kinda getting lovely.

Yeah the pixel 3 is good.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

bradzilla posted:

Yeah the pixel 3 is good.
noice its the one that looks the best and for the price im tempted to order it today, not a huge fan of the notch thing, but the XL is also kind of interesting, but how big is it really?

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Because I can just plug my android phone into any pc or whatever and just drag and drop files or pull photos off the phone easily by just dragging.
Rather than having to use a bunch of lovely apple software on my pc and garbage rear end itunes.
Also just lol at having to use an apple ID account. Enjoy your convoluted iOS that just blocks everything you try to do because hurr use our lovely loving software and megalol still having to "sync" things like an mp3 player from 2005.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

250 cute kitties posted:

with android fragmentation, androids generally aging badly with a new one coming out every two weeks. worse, clunkier OS, less app availability what's really the point?

the iPhone is pretty much better in every way. more intuitive, fluid OS. everything runs smoothly. everything comes here first. sleeker.

I am not a non technical women or child

I also enjoy file management

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

numberoneposter posted:

noice its the one that looks the best and for the price im tempted to order it today, not a huge fan of the notch thing, but the XL is also kind of interesting, but how big is it really?

I thought a lot about the notch before I bought, and I stopped noticing it after maybe an hour of using the phone. It's really no big deal at all. It's a big phone for sure. If you're holding the phone with your right hand, you'll most likely need your other hand to reach stuff on the left side.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

youre dick posted:

hey how hard do you think it would be to add an aux input to a 2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca. It's my kid's car and she loves everything about it except having to use the dumb fm transmitter thing for her phone

I installed a $75 pioneer stereo that has bluetooth in my Subaru and it was pretty easy. just gotta make sure you buy the right wiring harness and that makes it basically plug and play. it's pretty nice, Spotify automatically starts playing like twenty seconds after I start my car.

I still haven't upgraded the stock speakers, but why would I? I can barely tell that the bass is distorting when I'm drunk

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Also I'm an iPhone user and general Apple fan for the most part and I have no problems with most Android device design. The Pixel 3 looks cool as heck and some of the Motorola, OnePlus, LG, etc phones have interesting designs. But holy gently caress, Samsung's design style is horrid. The Samsung Galaxy S10 looks like an ugly brick slab of garbage thrown together with cameras randomly bolted on the back.

Like goddamn this looks bad as gently caress from the back. Samsung's design language is garbage. I don't think Apple is perfect, but their engineers actually think about how a phone feels and looks in your hand vs. just throwing together a rectangular slab that works kind of.

its a loving pocket computer. a tool. jfc

apple people suck so dang bad lol

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

HEY KID IM A COMPUTER!!!

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
One camera for each major social media network. Can't be mixing up your sepia toned Facebook selfies with your blurry Tinder ones.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Unlimited Data

This took me far too long to get the joke. Saw it, scrolled on by, a few posts later hit the brakes and had to scroll up to lol. Hats off.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Telebite posted:

I completely abandoned the idea of Apple for anything after Steve Jobs posted a long "rant" about how "WE will not let FLASH run on OUR devices."

Who gives a poo poo about Flash, but the "WE decide what runs on OUR devices" should be so absolutely offensive to ANYONE who cares ANYTHING about technology and moving forward.

So to me, letting Apple have ANY or your money says you have no problem with being told what you are allowed to do with computer hardware that you paid for with your own money. No you don't own the rights to the hardware but you own the hardware itself, and you, and ONLY you, should be allowed to say what gets to run or not.

(And yes I'm aware that there are multiple browser apps on the Apple store that support Flash like Puffin or Photon, but again it's not about Flash, it's about the "We will not let XX run on OUR devices" line.)

Actually, I'm really glad that Apple took a stand against Flash because it led to Flash being near dead, which is great because Flash is smelly garbage from a rancid rotting rear end in a top hat and it might have persisted longer if Apple allowed it on iOS devices. Also Flash is such a horrid battery drain on mobile devices and should not be on phones. Flash kills laptop battery life too and it's so much worse on phones and tablets!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

Because I can just plug my android phone into any pc or whatever and just drag and drop files or pull photos off the phone easily by just dragging.
Rather than having to use a bunch of lovely apple software on my pc and garbage rear end itunes.
Also just lol at having to use an apple ID account. Enjoy your convoluted iOS that just blocks everything you try to do because hurr use our lovely loving software and megalol still having to "sync" things like an mp3 player from 2005.

Counterpoint: iPhones receive support/updates for five years. Most Android phones are lucky to get like, more than one ever?

How is an Apple ID any different than Android needing your Google account for everything? And cloud storage exists now, you can just put the stuff you want on your phone on iCloud and now it’s on your phone too.

Anyone who gets genuinely upset about this and can’t recognize that both have their advantages and disadvantages is a major pissbabby.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Actually, I'm really glad that Apple took a stand against Flash because it led to Flash being near dead, which is great because Flash is smelly garbage from a rancid rotting rear end in a top hat and it might have persisted longer if Apple allowed it on iOS devices. Also Flash is such a horrid battery drain on mobile devices and should not be on phones. Flash kills laptop battery life too and it's so much worse on phones and tablets!

It's not about Flash. I said that twice.

"I'm glad a hardware company took actions to restrict users because it helped get rid of software I don't like."

Really?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
there's no back button on iphones. it's horrible shitgarbage. why the gently caress isnt there a back button. how is the user experience enhanced in any way whatsoever by its lack.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

What did you use for the firewall? I'd love to force Instagram and poo poo from connecting to the internet without me opening the app

I used to use NoRoot Firewall but switched to NetGuard after seeing (minor) data usage creep up by NoRoot. NetGuard doesn't use any data on it's own and I think is a more polished product. These are loopback VPN app firewalls for non-root devices. Were I to own a root device I'd use a firewall that blocks at the network level. All of these can be found on F-Droid

Telebite posted:

Reminds me of why I left iOS...

Why is my internet connection slow? Oh iOS downloaded a 1.5 gig update.
or
Where did all of the remaining storage on my device without an expandable memory slot go? Oh, iOS downloaded a 1.38 gig update.

But while I'm at it, I run Linux on my 2013 MBP with SSD and it's very quick compared to MacOS, and I'm not chained to a decision like the one to remove the "time remaining" estimate for the battery (a feature introduced in Sierra.)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Counterpoint: iPhones receive support/updates for five years.

"Updates" which make the OS take up more overhead so that older iPhones run like poo poo. Apple isn't giving you those updates out of the kindness of their heart, it part of their planned obsolescence cycle.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Bardeh posted:

there's no back button on iphones. it's horrible shitgarbage. why the gently caress isnt there a back button. how is the user experience enhanced in any way whatsoever by its lack.

The back button is built into all apps and a button appears if you switch apps. This is another 100% total non issue.

Rutibex posted:

"Updates" which make the OS take up more overhead so that older iPhones run like poo poo. Apple isn't giving you those updates out of the kindness of their heart, it part of their planned obsolescence cycle.

iOS 12 made all phones supporting it as fast as or nearly as fast as they’ve ever performed.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Bardeh posted:

1 button. Can't gently caress it up if it only has 1 button.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Android fragmentation is the only legit issue; there should be a screen size standard at least. I just got an LG7 one and look like a slime down (and black) brick of butter.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Counterpoint: iPhones receive support/updates for five years. Most Android phones are lucky to get like, more than one ever?

I kind of touched on this a few pages ago, but that is one upside to Apple's propietary stronghold. As developers, they know exactly what hardware is in each model.

That becomes exponentially harder with android where you have different brands manufacturing or buy different parts. Then factor in different carriers which throw their own stuff into the mix.

Plenty of times I was able to get into a locked phone by abusing the carrier's lovely built-in apps.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Demon Of The Fall posted:

also literally if your texts are green I won't be talking to you, sorry

Good

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

ok pretty close to ordering a pixel 3 what color should i get???

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

numberoneposter posted:

One magenta, one cyan and one yellow

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

IPhone X is the best phone ever made. It's also the first IPhone I've ever had ...I used Android's forever before that.... all the way from whatever the first good one was (HTC Hero?), to Nexus 6 which was an amazing phone and the Nexus 7 (can't remember the exact model name) was even better. I dropped my phone (totally sober, too) and had to get a new one and lol they gave me some LG VZ something that was totalllllll poo poo. I would've got a Pixel 2 and kept being a loyal Android user but of course it was Verizon exclusive so gently caress off forever Android. Pixel is a stupid name for a phone anyways and they should've kept the Nexus name going.

Samsung makes the shittiest bombs/phones ever and lol @ the galaxy.

Seriously though IPhone X(R) is the best phone available. I wish Sanyo still made phones.... they got bomb rear end signal (not really a problem like it was in 2003 though).

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

numberoneposter posted:

silver or black

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

karma_coma posted:

Pixel is a stupid name for a phone anyways and they should've kept the Nexus name going.

The company known for privacy has come full circle and named a phone after an old web tracking technology.