Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The Android phones that are comparable in quality to iPhones are also comparable in price. Well, aside from the X/XS. It's fine if you have a cheaper phone and don't care but don't act like your $200 Moto whatever is as good as a Samsung Galaxy S9 or Google Pixel 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Colonel Cancer posted:

Your 200$ moto is just as good if not better than overpriced garbage. What the gently caress are you going to do with your phone, mine butt coin? You'll just call and message and poo poo post all day, anything beyond that is worthless.

The camera quality is important to me because photography is one of my hobbies but I don't always have or want to have my DLSR camera on me, and the Galaxies, Pixels, and iPhones take drat good photos and video these days. For me, that alone is worth the extra couple hundred bucks.

It's true though that the lower end Android phones have gotten much better than the earlier smartphone days which I think a lot of people still use as their frame of reference.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The lack of the headphone jack has been a complete non issue for me. They come with an adapter and it’s easy to get more. Some people complain about not being able to charge and listen at the same time but the new phones hold a charge so much better that it doesn’t matter.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

Because I can just plug my android phone into any pc or whatever and just drag and drop files or pull photos off the phone easily by just dragging.
Rather than having to use a bunch of lovely apple software on my pc and garbage rear end itunes.
Also just lol at having to use an apple ID account. Enjoy your convoluted iOS that just blocks everything you try to do because hurr use our lovely loving software and megalol still having to "sync" things like an mp3 player from 2005.

Counterpoint: iPhones receive support/updates for five years. Most Android phones are lucky to get like, more than one ever?

How is an Apple ID any different than Android needing your Google account for everything? And cloud storage exists now, you can just put the stuff you want on your phone on iCloud and now it’s on your phone too.

Anyone who gets genuinely upset about this and can’t recognize that both have their advantages and disadvantages is a major pissbabby.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Bardeh posted:

there's no back button on iphones. it's horrible shitgarbage. why the gently caress isnt there a back button. how is the user experience enhanced in any way whatsoever by its lack.

The back button is built into all apps and a button appears if you switch apps. This is another 100% total non issue.

Rutibex posted:

"Updates" which make the OS take up more overhead so that older iPhones run like poo poo. Apple isn't giving you those updates out of the kindness of their heart, it part of their planned obsolescence cycle.

iOS 12 made all phones supporting it as fast as or nearly as fast as they’ve ever performed.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

sebmojo posted:

I've got a cheap Samsung j5 and it does everything well and the battery lasts like a champ, iphones are a scam

Then you might as well say Samsung Galaxies and the other luxury tier Androids are a scam too. They're the same price.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

EvilJoven posted:

Any phone you can't get for 0$ with a plan is a scam.

Counterpoint: Cell phone contracts are a scam. In most cases you spend less money by buying the phone outright and going with a no-contract plan. Today even the big carriers offer a no-contract options that are good and they are always have a cheaper monthly rate than contract plans.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I used to always see shattered iPhones but I don't see too many shattered phones in general one way or another anymore. phones are just tremendously more durable now.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
A lot of perceptions in this thread are based on like 2012 era phones. All the flagships phones these days are pretty great and the moderate priced phones are just fine. I still would never recommend a budget (under $200) Android unless you really only use it bare minimum and don't care.

rear end cobra posted:

mentioning an apple product makes some special breeds of nerd act very weird and angry

these are the same type of people that would probably start bitching out their date when she pulls out an iPhone and see nothing wrong with this behavior

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Dumb Lowtax posted:

It's bricked enough. After each boot up, something gradually gives out after a few minutes, and afterwards no calls transmit sound either direction, no photos or videos can be taken, and text messages very frequently get missed and disappear forever. They hosed me up real good with that update.

Yeah the tech said they'd take it on a trade despite being nearly bricked because it seems to be in good condition.

I agree with some of you that Apple's method of planned obsolescence is to make sure each update is a little more resource hungry than the last, until older hardware can't handle the stress and breaks. They probably discovered that there's a certain part of the 7+ that's vulnerable to overheating and pushed out an update that stresses that part just enough to do what I'm experiencing. Because they decided that if we're still on a 7+ and not upgrading, we're not going to without an extra kick in the rear end.

Hmm yes, "Apple pushed out an update to brick all 7+'s, a phone that they still currently sell and is still in production." - A logical conclusion to your extremely specific and rare situation.

Have you performed a restore through iTunes? If not then that should be your first step instead of attempting to trade it in.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Yeah first thing I tried, of course. They're not signing any versions earlier than 12.1.3. Tried that and it didn't work. 12.1.2 was the one that bricked my phone and I'm not "allowed" by iTunes to go back any earlier and see if it's really a question of newer updates just being too resource hungry for my particular device to not overheat.

iTunes is the loving nanny state

There just simply aren’t enough hardware variations in specific iPhone models for iOS 12.1.2 specifically to be the culprit especially since the 12.x.x type updates are just bug fixes and wouldn’t be more resource heavy. What you’re experiencing would be much more widely documented. We’re also talking about iOS 12 here which has been well received for speeding up every device it’s available on to their original performance.

What you’re seeing seems like a hardware failure unfortunately, or the updates are not installing correctly for whatever reason, and that does suck and iTunes sucks but two more things you could try:

1. Put your phone in recovery mode and then connect to iTunes and run a restore. When I had an issue in the past I had success with this method.

2. Restore and set up as a new iPhone. Also sucks but not as annoying as you might think. Most things are stored in your app accounts or in iCloud, the main thing is ensuring your photos are backed up.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I can't wait until this poo poo is minaturized and you can have your phone in your balls or whereever

There’s no room in your balls for a phone AND pee.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Mooey Cow posted:

I like all the hosed up touch combinations you have perform on iOS to do the simplest poo poo.

Wanna close a program? Well just tap the icon, tap again, soft tap, double tap, one finger up your rear end, then drrrrag and there's the button. Oops, too slow, just do it again.

You double click the home button or swipe up on the home bar and you get an app switcher just like on Android. You then swipe away the apps you want to close, just like on Android.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

fakeaccount posted:

A car key doesn't cost $400. Being stupid and gullible enough to buy a car that includes "keys" that they charge $400 for, costs $400.

Even the cheapest cars these days have fancy key fobs and yes they usually are like a minimum of $200 to replace.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
95% of iPhone users aren't thinking about any of this poo poo one way or another, it's the Android spergelords that get rage boners over this. Y'all wonder why your green text boxes carry a stigma.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Telegram Messenger is a really good alternative, but good luck knowing anyone else who uses it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Lol. You're hilarious. How is this in any way a valid comparison? May as well say "Sounds like you're getting ripped off by that Lincoln MKZ. I bought a used Ford Focus for $4k and it's perfect!"

Yeah, I guess if you're fine with a $100 phone cobbled together with 4 year old internals, mediocre screen with awful colors, garbage camera, and no OS updates ever, then more power to you. But I like getting a new phone with updated hardware every 2-3 years or so that's actually supported by the manufacturer for the better part of a decade.

Yeah, those $100 phones are garbage even compared to phones in the $200-300 range. Literally you can tell the difference within seconds of playing with the display models. If it doesn't bother you, then more power to you.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Moridin920 posted:

sorry are we talking about Apple here?
Apple supports their phones for five years, the only Android phones that come close are Google's Pixel phones, which Google have promised three years of support and updates.

Moridin920 posted:

It's a simplified phone for people who get scared by anything tech or like fancy branding and it has a correspondingly high mark up on it lol let's not get all high and mighty
Android is also designed to be intuitive to/is used by old people, let's also not act like you need to be a tech guru to use one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Do iPhones even let you CALL Android phones? Blocking them seems like the kind of thing CRAPPLE would do!!!!