Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I like android because it's really easy to pirate the apps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I like to have a lot of storage on my phone, and I'd rather pay $50 for a 128gb microsd card than pay $5000 for a iPhone with sufficient storage.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Android isn't just good for phones and tablets. Andriod TV boxes are the best thing ever. Apple TV is garbage compared to Kodi

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

gary oldmans diary posted:

basic stuff everyone should be able to do is set up events for times of day and when you exit/enter range of specific wireless networks or whether its charging or not and base tasks off those conditions
dis/enable requiring a pin when youre enter/exit range of your home network, adjust your thermostat, wake your network devices, bring up traffic maps, open shopping lists, download podcasts, open an emulator when you turn on a bluetooth controller, lock your work pc
its customization for you so it entirely depends on what you like or would like to do

could I set it up to turn on BitTorrent whenever I encounter a public WiFi?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Counterpoint: iPhones receive support/updates for five years.

"Updates" which make the OS take up more overhead so that older iPhones run like poo poo. Apple isn't giving you those updates out of the kindness of their heart, it part of their planned obsolescence cycle.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

Serious question but why would you want to connect your phone to an Xbox controller? What does it do? And why does it connect to the controller and not the system?

so you can use the xbox controller to play emulators on your phone.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blistex posted:

Favorite thing about Android phones is that you can do silly poo poo like this without any special software or fiddling around with settings. Just plug and play.

Linux has finally beaten windows

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Then you might as well say Samsung Galaxies and the other luxury tier Androids are a scam too. They're the same price.

just wait 12 months and phones with the same specs will be $100 a 7-11

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

COMRADES posted:

Apple exploits child labor in one of the poorest countries on Earth in order to make iPhones more cheaply which it then sells at an outrageous mark up which has made it one of the most profitable companies in the world.

I need a phone to participate in society but I don't need the one most recommended and approved by Mammon, thanks.

ah yes I too buy my phones only from artisan local phone masons.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blistex posted:

What's that about? Every one of my students with an iPhone has a screen that looks like it was used to stop a truck, while their Android using counterparts don't have nearly that level of attrition. I've been told that iPhones are actually more durable than most other phones, so are Apple users just massively clumsy?

the difference is if an android phone user breaks their screen they can afford to replace it

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sebmojo posted:

it's about the same price, isn't it?

yes, but if you dare to repair you own iPhone Apple sends assassin lawyers to kill your family.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

Yeah and then when he was dying because eating fruit didn't cure cancer he bought a house in all 50 states so he could cut in line in front of children who needed livers

surely that's what the third world is for. or is a Bangladeshi villagers liver not good enough for him?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Suppose that I'm pissed at Apple for remotely bricking my previously fine and working 7+ phone with an update the exact moment I paid it off this month. Suppose that I would prefer Android going forward because I like file management and hate Apple the company.

If the Apple store has offered me a deal for a new iPhone X (S? does it matter?) for $450 plus trading them my intact iPhone 7+, should I take the deal? I suppose if the new one sells for enough to profit me it would be stupid not to? Or is now the time to finally give Apple the boot?

On the one hand I feel like I've finally found everything in Apple's UI and dread finding out that there's no way to do any things in Android, but on the other, gently caress rewarding Apple for planned obsolescence. What should I do?

trade the iPhone 7+ to a electronics store instead and get credit towards an android phone. any store that advertises that it will jailbreak or unlock cell phones will take your phone in for trade credit if you buy a fancy android ($450 for an android would be quite fancy)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

COMRADES posted:

I buy a ~$150 phone and use it until it is too broken to operate, which is usually 2-4 years. You're basically a loving idiot if you do anything other than that because I guarantee my phone is just as capable at running any app you run on a fancy iPhone that costs 10x more and it's also waterproof and has a headphone jack.

:shrug:

my point was you were ragging on iPhone for being made in a Chinese sweatshop. you think your cheap android phone is assembled under better conditions? lol

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Woden posted:

Can you get proper ad blockers and privacy plugins for iOS?

That was a deal breaker years ago but dunno if they ever fixed it.

get a pi hole and block advertising at the router level.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Dude, this is completely and utterly wrong. Apple released a stealth update that throttled down the processors in iPhones that have a dying batteries, not the battery itself, so potentially the dying battery lasts longer with less power draw. I had an iPhone 5 with a barely working battery that would randomly turn off at 50-60% out of nowhere and Apple wanted to minimize that behavior for many users. But I disagreed with this move because it was done without user consent. It was really wrong for Apple to do that and they were hit with class action lawsuits. But it also has nothing whatsoever to do with "planned obsolescence" because it's not like Apple can download you a new battery but they did offer heavily discounted $30 batteries for all of 2018.

In short, you're dumb as gently caress and don't know poo poo.

you are so close to figuring it out. tell me, if planned obsolescence isnt the goal why does apple prevent people from removing the back plate and replacing the battery?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Lol. There are literally no flagship phones left, besides some 2.5 year old LG models like the V20, that have removable batteries. It's not 2014 when Samsung and other Android manufacturers still offered replaceable batteries.

Also not sure if you've seen the ultra thin, tightly packed internals of today's smartphones but there's no room left to allow for a battery door and user-replaceable battery. Look through a newer phone teardown sometime and you'll cry.

I bought a new phone a few months ago and it has a removable back plate, SD card slot, and a headphone jack. it cost me $100. sounds like your getting ripped off by these "flagship" phones.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I am above such petty arguments as platform supremacy since I post almost exclusively from my Linux desktop. :smug:

Android is Linux, your in camp android

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Bluetooth signals in your ear give you brain cancer. No thanks, I prefer the superior audio fidelity and safety of wired headphones.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sebmojo posted:

I'm not sure anyone cares that much these days but it also enables device level copy protection of audio since its not an analog connection anymore.

you know can buy a bluetooth reciever that has a 3.5 audio jack on it right? They are like $15.

don't tell the RIAA! :ssh:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sebmojo posted:

Yeah I was talking about the analog hole, ditching the headphone jack is, like HDMI/hdcp, a step towards closing that. It doesn't work that way now but one plausible minor reason for getting rid of headphone jacks is so that it can in the future.

It is litteraly impossible to use drm to make music unpiratable.

at some point the music has to be decoded and sent to a set of speakers to make sounds that can be heard by your analog ears. You can record the music from the air, or tap into the leads going into the speaker driver and capture the analog signal.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dont Touch ME posted:

I dont use an iPhone for a littany of reasons, but probably the biggest is the fact that it doesn't have an OpenXCOM port.

Its so loving useful to have a time vampire in your pocket. I can travel forward hours in time anywhere at any time. It actually plays really well, which shouldnt come as a surprise considering the original game was mostly mouse driven and the low resolution translates to buttons taking up a reasonable amount of space on the screen.

I mean I get it if you don't care about video games, or if you care more about having a status symbol than having this particular game, but for me this is basically the least technical reason I can give on why I personally choose Android.

you rear end in a top hat! post the apk I can't find it :(

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dont Touch ME posted:

Ill see if I can find a prebuilt apk somewhere

Found it: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5258.0.html

nice, I'm going to kill some aliens! can't do that on iOS, apple-fail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah and it sucks that android phones aren't able to be charged via USB but rather require an old-timey hand crank

I actually have a hand crank for recharging my android phone. it's just in case there is a nuclear war I want to be able to play snes emulators.