Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
Now, I've never seen Hancock. But I know everyone says it sucks. But it was written by Vince Gilligan, who wrote Breaking Bad and some of the best episodes of the X Files. So why did it suck? Did he just have an off day? Did the producers completely gently caress up his vision? Maybe he's just only good at the TV format and not movies. Seems fishy to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Breaking Bad hadn’t come out then so no one knew you were meant to love everything he does yet

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Izzhov posted:

Now, I've never seen Hancock. But I know everyone says it sucks. But it was written by Vince Gilligan, who wrote Breaking Bad and some of the best episodes of the X Files. So why did it suck? Did he just have an off day? Did the producers completely gently caress up his vision? Maybe he's just only good at the TV format and not movies. Seems fishy to me.

He phoned it in to get paid OP. Hope this helps. Ducks do this,sir this is a Cici's Pizza.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
It wasn't that bad really.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hancock is a fun movie. I worked at Hollywood Video when it came out on dvd and we played it in the store. Welp I'm old cya

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It wasn't that bad, it just had a weird twist and wasn't exactly what people expected. People don't like movies that gently caress with them, good movie or not.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Will Smith

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Mancock

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

It was entertaining imo

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
It's decent. The first half is great, second half falls a bit flat.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Izzhov posted:

I think I read that it was supposed to have a more serious tone, but then they Will Smith'ed the gently caress out of the beginning half, and then tried to make it serious again at the end, didn't work at all

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so that would mean the director or editor or someone else besides the big V G hosed up

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
stop trying to slander a paragon of our times with other lesser men's mistakes, OP

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I haven’t seen it in a while. I never thought it was bad. It wasn’t really “good” either.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Hancock's Half Hour was funnier than Gilligan's Island, but Gilligan's Island had two hot chicks in it.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
It's fun until you find out he's an immortal fuckboi of Charlie.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
cool premise and the reason they get and lose their powers was interesting. seemed like a good idea for a TV series more than a movie, let the mystery of gaining and losing abilities over the years be the focus, never realizing it was because you kept getting close, then farther away from your soul mate or w/e

like the opposite of that cloak/dagger show

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Often in Hollywood the writer has little impact on the content of the film

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its only the final third thats bad because they had to tack on a lovely love story

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Won't Smith.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
imo the final 5/6 is the worst because the realizing his whole purpose motif is overplayed

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
they cut the scene where fresh prince was dancing while jazz played the drums

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
first it was the carlton but they had legal issues

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

marijuanamancer posted:

first it was the carlton but they had legal issues
what legal issues with carlton?

wait
https://i.imgur.com/zOblm1r.mp4

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you can't bring guns into an airport. wow thats hosed up

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
he wont allow pop at the library or food

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
nobody even has a waterbottle or anything

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hydration levels are low

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Any movie with a super sperm joke is :krad:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Remulak posted:

Any movie with a super sperm joke is :krad:

Hancock is a movie about finding your true love, and then not being with them, because you'd rather live forever lonely as gently caress, than die like one of those idiot mortals

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's possible there might have been a halfway decent script at some point, but if so you can't really tell from the final result.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Trick question. Hancock was good.
It didn't deserve an Oscar or anything, but it was an entertaining movie.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Breaking bad but Will Smith is Jessie

Make it happen VG

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ElGroucho posted:

Hancock is a movie about finding your true love, and then not being with them, because you'd rather live forever lonely as gently caress, than die like one of those idiot mortals
Hancock is about realising if you and your ultimate smash are both immortal then there's no real downside to postponing your 50-100 years of wedded bliss for a few more centuries.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sounds like you got a bad writer. my man VillyG won't let it go down like that

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's definitely a problem in editing, because it's like two completely different movies sloppily slapped together

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
my favorite ten year old big budget pg 13 movie is the mummy: tomb of the dragon emperor. thanks for this lovely thread about a bad movie you haven’t seen, op!

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
i'm pretty sure Vince Gilligan wrote a couple of x-files episodes that weren't that great either OP.

NO GODS AMONG MEN

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don't you talk that mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Came to post this.