Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Being born as a dog is a reward given in the bardo to only the purest souls. It’s like a vacation from thousands of years of asceticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cease to Hope posted:

dogs are trying their best

If that were true, then they basically need to be better. :colbert:

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Dogs love you.

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer

Cease to Hope posted:

dogs are trying their best

Vietnamwees posted:

If that were true, then they basically need to be better. :colbert:

This seems accurate. Cats by the penny, cats by the pound, cats by the barrel and the bucket and the hogshead (that's a 55 gallon barrel for you uneducated folks, they used to ship sugar and molasses and cats in them according to my reading)

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-DNt_erbL4

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
as long as you can take care of both of them, it is perfectly reasonable to have both a dog and a cat

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I get having a favorite between cats or dogs, because I do too, but both are cool and disparaging the other one is some heinous poo poo especially when it's directed at dogs because they're obviously better and they're all such good boys and girls

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but you like cats better dontcha? Who's baby is that? Is it my baby? Is he a purr-y baby?

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
I do actually have a dog who is really well cared for. I kinda prefer the cats, they're easier to pick up.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
I only like cats that live outside and show up once a week on my porch to be petted and then they leave. I like almost all dogs. The only bad ones are the ones with bad owners that let them yip at everybody.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC8MfulGMXE

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Time to dogs is unknowable. The concept of a human clock is foreign to a dog because dogs experience time differently than we do.

Clocks are not only unknown to dogs but a completely unfamiliar concept much like an advanced piece of technology used by an alien race would be to us. See my other post about this topic in the " How can people stand to have a Quartz clock on their wall?" thread.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Linux Pirate posted:

Time to dogs is unknowable. The concept of a human clock is foreign to a dog because dogs experience time differently than we do.

Is that why dogs experience time much faster than the rest of us? I.E., one regular year for us is equivalent to 7 dog years?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
dogs are good

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Linux Pirate posted:

Seems false. Dogs know when it's time to sleep and when it's time to eat.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Vietnamwees posted:

Is that why dogs experience time much faster than the rest of us? I.E., one regular year for us is equivalent to 7 dog years?

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I think the lesson from all of this is that we'd all be happier if we don't put so much emphasis on time.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

When I travel for work my dog waits by the door everyday at 5:05 PM because that’s when I’m supposed to be home. We do have a couple of digital clocks in the kitchen though, maybe he’s reading those?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

My dog wakes up at 5:15am every day to piss, eat breakfast and then poo poo (always in that order), then goes back to sleep until 1:30pm. He's flexible about dinner, but at 7pm, he wants to play and run around, and at 8:30pm, he wants to take a piss and then go bed for the night.

He absolutely can tell time, and it's freaky.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

LabyaMynora posted:

My dog wakes up at 5:15am every day to piss, eat breakfast and then poo poo (always in that order), then goes back to sleep until 1:30pm. He's flexible about dinner, but at 7pm, he wants to play and run around, and at 8:30pm, he wants to take a piss and then go bed for the night.

He absolutely can tell time, and it's freaky.

dogs do not understand daylight saving time

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

Dogs do not have trunks but they do have snouts.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
If you took every dog in the nation and stacked them end-to-end, you would create a runaway criticality event and be bombarded by fatal levels of doggo particles.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

poverty goat posted:

i was going to say the same thing

every year i have to explain it to them over and over again

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I've taught many dogs to count money but much like a WalMart employee they cannot learn to make change.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Some of my closest friends are dogs. They’re good people, they’re bright, clean and articulate.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

dogs were originally domesticated as timekeeping devices

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Where is Morally Inept?

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

Dogs are required to sign legal documents with paw or nose prints because their handwriting is abysmal.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

poverty goat posted:

To be fair, it really doesn’t make sense to anyone

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

poverty goat posted:

dogs were originally domesticated as timekeeping devices

'dinnertime, again? i think we need to have these clocks checked'

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

A cool thing I learned recently is that if you oscillate two dogs at the same frequency they will cancel each other out. It looks cool as hell

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely
Dogs reproduce by budding. Do not let your dogs get wet after midnight. A dog can unhinge its jaws to swallow prey larger than its head. In hot or cold weather dogs can enter a state of torpor where they lose track of time and pant continuously to cool down or warm up. Physicists in the 1800s studied dogs to unlock the secrets of thermodynamics.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
the endless loyalty of a dog and their need for physical exercise can both be good for the owner

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
i put up with a lot of poo poo from dogs that i would not take accept coming from a man and frankly i am right to

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

lol but seriously I posted:

i put up with a lot of poo poo from dogs that i would not take accept coming from a man and frankly i am right to

literally!

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Barking is like the internet to dogs

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

lol but seriously I posted:

I mean... yeah, my dog sometimes starts rubbing his bare rear end in a top hat against the carpet, and I just yell, "No!' at him. But if a man did that, I'd probably murder him or at the very least never let him into my house again.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

LabyaMynora posted:

I mean... yeah, my dog sometimes starts rubbing his bare rear end in a top hat against the carpet, and I just yell, "No!' at him. But if a man did that, I'd probably murder him or at the very least never let him into my house again.

What the hell kind of people do you normally let into your house, man?!

naem
May 29, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/b5zl0Vz.mp4

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

This is so goddamn adorable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Linux Pirate posted:

Barking is like the internet to dogs

you joke but if you ever hear a bunch of hounds baying in the woods what you're hearing is an ad-hoc network where each dog and the hunter knows the location and rabbit-status of every dog present at every moment. that's the sound of a dog hivemind