Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Book cover debates!
This poll is closed.
Hardcover 12 25.53%
Softcover/paperback 6 12.77%
Either or 9 19.15%
Who the gently caress reads books in 2019? 10 21.28%
Goku on any cover 10 21.28%
Total: 33 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:eng101: You know what they say: don't judge a book by it's cover. Or do they?

Hardcover books are the best. Like this one as an example:

This is a book. A nice, solid, hardcover. Lets you enthusiastically thud it against any table or desk when you read it. Also perfect for grabbing and whacking the gently caress out of someone's teeth. The hardcover and its age gives it character. Which I like.

But gently caress this contemporary paperback poo poo. Look at this flimsy garbage:

You can rip and bend this so easily. And it'll get all veiny with white folding streaks everywhere and the edges deteriorating. Like so:

:s: What about hardcovers with an outer papercover as in the picture?

Slightly more tolerable. I usually just slide it off so my fingers don't slip if I'm holding it while reading, then slide it back on when I'm done. But at least that gives you an option.

What are your opinions on the matter? Mine is they just don't make'em like they used to :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
word

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hardcover books where the pages are sewn in are the best, but paperbacks are better than hardcovers bound by cheap glue.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Old books that are full of mold spores and poop particles. That leather bound 100 year old Bible? Someone read it on the toilet. Your grandmother, to be precise.

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
Read any copy of Jurgen: A Comedy of Justice that you can find. It really is worth it.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I got maybe halfway through a hardcover copy of War and Peace and I just stopped, screaming "gently caress this hardcover bullshit!" into the chill autumn evening. It was way too long.

Some day I'll try again with a paperback version to see if it's any better.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

You have to read hardcover war and peace in russian in a darkened room for the authentic experience.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Space Race Riot posted:

Read any copy of Jurgen: A Comedy of Justice that you can find. It really is worth it.

this book seems insane

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer

WatermelonGun posted:

this book seems insane

Keep reading

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i live too fast to remember things, so i only want to read ebooks now so i can have easy access to all my highlights and notes. paper books are still nice for reference texts and such.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i live too fast to remember things, so i only want to read ebooks now so i can have easy access to all my highlights and notes. paper books are still nice for reference texts and such.

But what about when you inevitably have to move to a new platform/file format in ~10 years? Notes in the hard copy are there forever (bar a fire or something).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I like to read paperbacks on the bus because they're lighter. But nowadays some hardbacks are very light as well. And you can't carry old paperbacks around to read on the bus because they fall apart so easily.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Having said that, the space-saving attribute of digital is why I got a kindle a few years ago. It’s very convenient when traveling and the charge does last months even with good usage.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Hard covers make my penis engorged with blood.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

1redflag posted:

But what about when you inevitably have to move to a new platform/file format in ~10 years? Notes in the hard copy are there forever (bar a fire or something).

hopefully some nerd will make a tool to turn those old files into new files, and not integrate social media.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Microfilm is the best format for anything.

onedayholiday
Dec 6, 2013

Grimey Drawer
i disagree the wipe-clean sheen of my glossy manga is clearly superior

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i can't find it online but I used to have an old hardcover book about the nevada silver rush, was a pretty neat read. the only thing i can find atm tho is something written in the 1980s and I'm 99% sure that isn't it. neal stephenson's hardcovers are usually pretty baller but not very old

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I once dropped a hardcover Harry potter book into the tub. There it is, my very own hardcover story.
Mr potter simply wasn't the same after it.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
I have been slowly buying all of the JoJo's Bizare Adventures hardcover manga. I'm not even a weeb! The art is neat/gay and the book being hardcover is a huge bonus. I have all of parts 1 & 2. Waiting for my income to stabilize a bit before I dive into 3. Thanks Godbless

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I like my kindle op

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

When did it become "uncool" for a gentleman or lady to read from stone tablets?

All this tree pulp nonsense is unsustainable.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I only read moon tunes, visible under the light of full moon on the anniversary of the writing. Not a lot of good reading material tbh

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Ben Smash posted:

I have been slowly buying all of the JoJo's Bizare Adventures hardcover manga. I'm not even a weeb!

:cawg:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I'm struggling to think of a bigger ripoff than a hardcore book.

Like maybe if you filled up your car with gas and just drove away?

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
I got a library hardcover copy of Rise of the Ogre for 13 dollars on ebay (its cool and they sell for way more now it's weird.) the rest of my library is covered with yin yangs and poo poo so I don't know if I want to list it actually

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Linux Pirate posted:

When did it become "uncool" for a gentleman or lady to read from stone tablets?

All this tree pulp nonsense is unsustainable.

haha but also realtalk they used papyrus and/or wooden planks before paper

imagine a book constructed like a jacobs ladder toy

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nut to Butt posted:

haha but also realtalk they used papyrus and/or wooden planks before paper

imagine a book constructed like a jacobs ladder toy

I think it's been done.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Pulp scifi must be read as paperbacks printed on the cheapest paper imaginable. Literature goes better with a hardcover and very nice acid free paper.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I always lick the pages to see if I got acid free.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

hardcover is for people who fetishize books instead of reading them. buying one probably also gets you targeted ads for those 'beautifully handwritten letter' companies and $40 VHS tape bundles at this point.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Old books that are full of mold spores and poop particles. That leather bound 100 year old Bible? Someone read it on the toilet. Your grandmother, to be precise.
I wish I could live on as undying poop particles in a bible. my posts will have to suffice.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Saint Drogo posted:

hardcover is for people who fetishize books instead of reading them. buying one probably also gets you targeted ads for those 'beautifully handwritten letter' companies and $40 VHS tape bundles at this point.

How the gently caress does the bookstore get my address?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

How the gently caress does the bookstore get my address?
They bribe public records officials with old books, people who work in public records love that poo poo.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I prefer paperbacks tbf

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

They bribe public records officials with old books, people who work in public records love that poo poo.

How do they get my name?

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

the bookstore
hahahaha good one

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

My only old-rear end first edition hardcover is Kon-Tiki and I might just sit and read that to fall asleep. If I can avoid crumbling the pages.

edit: actually poo poo nope i forgot this is worth legit money not gonna touch it

Mr. Meagles fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Feb 23, 2019

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

How do they get my name?
you're part of the public

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
Hardcover superiority is undeniable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pube Factory
Jun 10, 2001
Pretty much the only thing I'm good at is growing these beautiful, thick pubes
just whacking the gently caress out of someone's teeth with my hardcover book here