Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Book cover debates!
This poll is closed.
Hardcover 12 25.53%
Softcover/paperback 6 12.77%
Either or 9 19.15%
Who the gently caress reads books in 2019? 10 21.28%
Goku on any cover 10 21.28%
Total: 33 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I love all books equally, but they're heavy and take up space so I only buy nonfiction in physical form these days

Garbage thrillers and mindless entertainment are relegated to the digital screen, alas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Paperbacks are cool because you can tear them the gently caress up and not feel too bad because they're cheap. Hardbacks are valuable as literature, weapons, building implements, and fuel in a tight spot. Books are basically cool as a category of item. Celebrate books.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

If you're buying hardcovers, make sure they have the dustcover.
If Antiques Roadshow has taught me anything (and oh brother, HAS IT!!), it's that if you happen to have some rare book and that book was supposed to have a jacket cover and now doesn't or it looks like a cat took a steaming piss on it two days after it was brought home 75 years ago? That poo poo is worthless now.

Which I always thought was dumb, but whatever I'm not some stupid nerd that collects old books for their dust covers I guess.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
60+ year old paperbacks are still in good shape so long as they were kept indoors, any durability beyond that seems worthless unless you're running a library.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Xaintrailles posted:

60+ year old paperbacks are still in good shape so long as they were kept indoors, any durability beyond that seems worthless unless you're running a library.

No they're not? The lovely glue has dried out so unless they were sewn (which some were but not most) and even then the covers may well fall off. The university library - where books are kept in the best possible conditions because it's also an archival library - won't loan out paperbacks of a certain age (in 1998 it was 1950 I think) because they'd get back loads of loose pages.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i just looked through my bookshelf and the only hardcovers i own are Hollywood Babylon 1 and 2 and some book about poisonous plants. honestly the plant one should be smaller and paperback because it would be a pretty good field guide.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I hope to liquidate all my physical media eventually. I read books on the kindle app.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
the only thing old books are good for is the smell. I hope one day they include a scent port on the kindle to make it smell like that, then we truly won't ever need physical books again.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ebooks are an anglophone fad.

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

the only thing old books are good for is the smell. I hope one day they include a scent port on the kindle to make it smell like that, then we truly won't ever need physical books again.

The smell is definitely good. Sometimes there are cool words strung altogether in there too, those are the best old books.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Are there any good smelling old books about deep dicking techniques?
Preferably ones with tasteful cover jackets and plate illustrations?

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
but you are just getting dust on the dust jacket instead i do not understand

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Ebooks are an anglophone fad.
that's actually a pretty interesting take that I don't know enough about to confirm or refute

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

Are there any good smelling old books about deep dicking techniques?
Preferably ones with tasteful cover jackets and plate illustrations?

Hollywood Babylon

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

it might be more popular here but a fad implies something short-lived. E-books aren't going anywhere. Even though it's not the same experience, the convenience of having your entire library with you wherever you go outweighs any downside.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
anyone whining about ebooks doesn’t actually read

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cubone posted:

that's actually a pretty interesting take that I don't know enough about to confirm or refute

I don't know about these guys' methods but here's 2018 from two sources:

The results seem very different but one thing seems pretty clear.

e: This is from PricewaterhouseCoopers so I guess it's credible (from 2017 though):

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 23, 2019

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Jerry Cotton posted:

one thing seems pretty clear.
America #1 :hai:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

isn't it a bit disingenuous to lump audiobooks in with print media? Yeah it's on a disc, but e-readers are physical things too so it's not entirely consistent. Show me the plot without audiobooks included, I bet it's a lot less impressive.

It is noteworthy though that they actually included that caveat on the plot instead of burying it in some text that nobody's going to read like most "infographic" people.

onedayholiday
Dec 6, 2013

Grimey Drawer
slamming my cock and balls with a weighty hard cover right now and lemme tell ya from the slapping sounds its making ya can tell the binding is top shelf

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Goodreads review: Short. Unsatisfactory. Weak ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jerry Cotton posted:

I don't know about these guys' methods but here's 2018 from two sources:

The results seem very different but one thing seems pretty clear.

e: This is from PricewaterhouseCoopers so I guess it's credible (from 2017 though):

I could believe that first graph but there's no way the UK is at 4 percent. At least on Amazon the UK is something like ten percent, and it has to only go up if you consider Kobo and Apple.