Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's like a common staple to offices everywhere. Having a Quartz clock on the wall.

Like sure most of the time it's probably okay. But what happens when it's quiet in your work space and all you hear all day is click-click-click-click-cuck-click-click-click-click... Drives me crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
Have you tried wearing headphones or not being a neurotic weirdo about it?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
Are those your searches?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Ben Smash posted:

Are those your searches?

yeah darn you caught me
how humiliating

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
what is a clock

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

jimmyjams posted:

what is a clock

This, my darling, is a device. A device many men and many women have died to see, to understand, and to own. In many ways it is like one of your toys, but a toy for adults. This, darling, is the Zybourne Clock.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

jimmyjams posted:

what is a clock

the thing that objectively says u nut prematurely

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Are lovely standup comics still doing the "Quartz as a monopoly brand" joke?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Are you Captain Hook?

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

clocks only work for humans because time is only relevant to us. Clocks have been adjusted to reflect this.

To a dog the perception of human time and clocks are meaningless. See my other post about this topic in the "Interesting Dog Facts" thread

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

The idea is that you passively know what time it is after looking at the clock the first time. Because after that you just count the ticks

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It's like a common staple to offices everywhere. Having a Quartz clock on the wall.

Like sure most of the time it's probably okay. But what happens when it's quiet in your work space and all you hear all day is click-click-click-click-cuck-click-click-click-click... Drives me crazy.

The quartz is just the oscillator for keeping time, it doesn't say anything about the style of the clock (ie digital or analog).

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
This is a good Quartz

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
An even better quartz

Reign Of Pain posted:

This is a good Quartz

This is called an "analog clock", not a "quartz".

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Lambert posted:

An even better quartz

This is called an "analog clock", not a "quartz".

Why does it say Quartz on the clock then

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Reign Of Pain posted:

there is a really good explanation for all of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pM6uD8nePo

taco season
Oct 10, 2014

College Slice
I fought long and hard but I've been beaten down and now we have a large ticking clock in our living room (it was a gift). I've had no choice but to accept the endless ticking into my life, I've become a more patient person as a result. I recommend it to you especially.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I usually take out the battery out if there's one even remotely near the place I sleep, drives me loving nuts

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Reign Of Pain posted:

Because it uses a quartz for timekeeping instead of a mechanical mechanisms.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I too hate that infernal ticking. That bastard clock. He mocks us with his loathsome noises.

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Millennials can't even read analog clocks because they only use electronic devices

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
well OP have you ever stopped and listened to the various electrical noises you block out every day? it's like that

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Reign Of Pain posted:

This is a good Quartz

This is a great throwback, incidentally I just cancelled a planned trip to Australia

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Pitdragon posted:

well OP have you ever stopped and listened to the various electrical noises you block out every day? it's like that

You ever get that weird feeling something is off about the world and then you realize it's because one of those background noises has suddenly stopped

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I just ask alexa what time it is

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

It's against my religious beliefs to quantify time.

Paperboy
Nov 20, 2018

:shepface:
The cheap swatch watches click super loud. I used to keep mine in my nightstand overnight but the ticking would wake me up. I felt like a character in a Poe story.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Clock? I just call the local time and temperature. Get with the times people.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
*ring ring*

hi, is the clock on your wall running?

well, you'd better go catch it! babbabooeybabbabooey howard stern's penis! *click*

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Reign Of Pain posted:

This is a good Quartz

I remember this

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

super sweet best pal posted:

This, my darling, is a device. A device many men and many women have died to see, to understand, and to own. In many ways it is like one of your toys, but a toy for adults. This, darling, is the Zybourne Clock.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
OP would it be okay if i shot a quart on your wall?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Jokes on you, buddy! I can’t hear the ticking!

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

You ever get that weird feeling something is off about the world and then you realize it's because one of those background noises has suddenly stopped

You never realize how loud all the poo poo in your house is til the power goes out for a few hours. When it comes back on and the refrigerator, furnace, fans, etc come on it feels almost deafening

taco season
Oct 10, 2014

College Slice
My parents have a loud ticking clock in every room in their house. When it is quiet you can hear all of them ticking at once. They do not notice because they have a television on for all waking hours of the day. When I was staying there and they went out it was a real test, let me tell you

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
How do you get bothered by ticking? The reassuring tick of a clock is one of the nicest sounds.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Another 5 star thread from op. Thank you, you have given me a lot to think about! Going hog wild now FYI

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Beats me too. It's like having someone poke you every second forever and it's horrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I am laughing at all everyone in here with y'alls "Can hear" problems.