Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
SLA Marshall's work in Europe during WWII was incredibly suspect and even the people who were working for him were all "uh yeah we don't know where he's getting this information from, he didn't take that many notes."

A great example would be how he wrote up the assault on Brecourt Manor, as depicted in Band of Brothers. He interviewed then-Lieutenant Winters in a room full of Winters' superiors, so Winters decided to give a matter-of-fact account that avoided anything that would sound like he was trying to talk himself up. As a result, when Winters said that members of E and D companies participated in the assault, Marshall wrote that Winters assaulted the German guns with 200 men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Weren't the paratroopers scattered to hell and back even at that point during overlord

Apparently nobody told that to SLA Marshall.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

DinosaurWarfare posted:

Does anyone have book recommendations on the US Civil War,

Apostles of Disunion will get you up to speed on why "the Civil War wasn't about slavery" is complete and utter bullshit.

The Civil War by Shelby Foote is a classic narrative encompassing the entire war and can give you a decent starting place to find any particular rabbit hole you want to dive into.

If you have specifics you want to read about, let me know. The American Civil War was my degree concentration.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Handsome Ralph posted:

Foote's trilogy is good and a solid narrative, but even Foote himself has admited he had a bias for the Confederacy/South. Personally I'd recommend McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom as an intro and then dive into Foote's trilogy afterwards.

I mean, he straight up admits it in the foreword of volume one, so it's not like he hid it.

But yeah, anything McPherson is a solid choice. I was blanking on which one to recommend though.