Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I plugged this last literature thread but

In great spirits : the WWI diary of Archie Barwick

Amazing ww1 diary of a Australian soldier that fought from 1914 till the end of the war. Barely edited and he fought in pretty much every major Aussie action from Gallipoli to the western front.

He managed to capture the essence of “mate-ness” and never complains despite the awful conditions he and the troops are living in.

He’s got a great writing style and this is without a doubt my favourite book.

Also just finished

The last stand of fox company

A detailed look at the marines holding open a pass during the start of the withdrawal from North Korea, absolutely devastating conditions they are fighting in and the results. Got a great narrative structure.

Abongination fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
The Great Anglo-Boer War by Byron Farwell

Also seems to be in print with the name The Great Boer war, not sure what the difference between the two is.

Very good overview of a war I've never known that much about, been fantastic so far.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
A short but fun book I just got through is

Random Shots From A Rifleman by John Kincaid.

Published in 1835, a collection of stories and anecdotes from the peninsular war by a rifleman.