Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The Arnheiter Affair, by Neil Sheehan

Incident in Vietnam that was the inspiration for Wouk's Caine Mutiny, and a good read for anyone who hates khakis generally.

Rules of the Game, by Andrew Gordon

It's nominally about Jutland, but in a larger sense it's about organizations and how they're run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Kenneth Pollack's Armies of Sand may not be as one-theory-to-explain-everything as the author was hoping for, but it's a fine read.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Just finished Brendan Koerner's Now the Hell Will Start, the story of the manhunt for Herman Perry. Vivid picture of not only vintage 1940s racism, but the outrageous ratfuck that was the building of the Ledo Road from Burma into China.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Sad King Billy posted:

Passage At Arms by Glenn Cook

Submarine warfare in space, a very tense book which I think is a classic. A lot of people in the Book Barn Sci-Fi thread appreciate it, but I don't think it has the appreciation it deserves.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Passage-at-Arms-Glen-Cook/dp/1597801194

Reading everything Glen Cook writes is an extremely good use of your time. Dude was, IIRC, a QM1 back in the day.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Tameichi Hara's Japanese Destroyer Captain, while noticeably self-serving, is a fascinating look at the other side of some of the big battles of the war.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm working my way through Ian W. Toll's Pacific War books and though they're very well-put together and readable, he keeps putting "the" in front of ships' names and it is ACTIVELY HARMING ME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

I’m a maritime expert for a living and I put “the” in front of boat’s names all the time.

Which, in vernacular, is fine. You just don't write it that way.