Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Tias posted:

Seeing as Matterhorn was already posted :haw:

.. I'll recommend "One Bullet Away - the making of a marine officer"

It's by Nathanial Fick (invaded Iraq with force recon, is portrayed on Generation Kill), and it's a pretty interesting glimpse into the mind of someone reflecting about war in the modern age.

It’s good to read both because you get the perspective of both the squad level and the platoon/company level at the same time, and Fick was one of the most liked officers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Extreme ownership can be summed up in “just pretend you have full responsibility for everything that happens around you” which is all right but not really worth a whole book.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The book is much much much broader in scope but Ghost Wars by Steve Coll is great.

My “senior project” in high school was a huge research paper about the aftermath of the Soviet-Afghan war and that book made it so much easier.

Also now that I’ve stated reading abotut more current events in Afghanistan I get to be constantly horrified every time I recognize a name that we basically hired on almost all of the most corrupt and vicious warlords to be part of the national government except maybe Hekmatyar but we let him in anyway years after a deal. So that’s cool.