Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

I'm not an ex-military goon but I love lurking war history threads and while picking up some of the stuff y'all suggested, I found:

James Falkner's book on The War of Spanish Succession. Apparently it has some typos but it's also less than 2bux today.

Matchlocks to Flintlocks covers the early gunpowder era in Europe and is also less than 2bux today.

And Mercenaries and their Masters covers the mercs of Italy, which, if you've read the milhist thread, is thoroughly engrossing. If not, these are the guys that will frequently line up with you, then go "lol, sorry, the other guys paid us more". It is also less than 2 bux today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

If you want a "Why France Fell" account from a guy who was there, who wrote it in 1940 just after defeat, and who was both a historian and executed by the Gestapo for his work in the resistance, this is $2.99 on Kindle.

https://www.amazon.com/Strange-Defeat-Marc-Bloch-ebook-dp-B07K4T4XJT/dp/B07K4T4XJT/ref=mt_kindle?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=

It's really good and you don't get many first person accounts from a trained historian that was actually there when the poo poo went down. (Obviously you don't get a lot of pulled-back analysis and sourcing and it's pretty clear he wasn't a fan of the generals, if you want to consider that a flaw).

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 20, 2020