Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I just have Maxine going “sweet birthday, baby!” on repeat in my head now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Look, so long as we see more of Alan’s butt, I’m fine.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I'm sure the writers have something better in mind, but my first impulse for season 2 would be Nadia and Alan sliding across parallel realities, trying to come to terms with what it means to be them when infinite thems making better and worse choices exist.

I think this is also the conceit of Happy Death Day 2U and a story in Ted Chiang's new short story collection.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

The_Doctor posted:

And they’re filming already judging by her hair.

https://twitter.com/nlyonne/status/1138569464608202752

Happy for Natasha and the rest of the cast and crew, but I really don't know what they go from here. They're going to have to get REALLY weird with it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

1glitch0 posted:

Happy for Natasha and the rest of the cast and crew, but I really don't know what they go from here. They're going to have to get REALLY weird with it.

Well it was originally pitched as a 3 season show, so they have a plan

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

pixaal posted:

Well it was originally pitched as a 3 season show, so they have a plan

That's what showrunners always say.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

MiddleOne posted:

That's what showrunners always say.

Yeah, "We got 3 seasons worth of stuff!" is just pitch stuff. I think one season was enough, but like I said, if they want to go forward they're going to have to go really weird with it. Like explore why these things happened, and get really cosmic with it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

1glitch0 posted:

Yeah, "We got 3 seasons worth of stuff!" is just pitch stuff. I think one season was enough, but like I said, if they want to go forward they're going to have to go really weird with it. Like explore why these things happened, and get really cosmic with it.

I don't want them to explain it, I just want it to raise even more questions

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

someone else is going to be stuck in a loop and they need to find out who the hell it is. Their day still gets reset, it's just someone else doing the dying. Nadia's starting point is while she's in the middle of breakfast

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

And they’re filming already judging by her hair.

https://twitter.com/nlyonne/status/1138569464608202752

She's so great. Pity about the Fred Armisen, though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hope this show lasts 20 seasons and each season she encounters new people in loops and helps them

Quantum Leap joke

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
sweet birthday baybee never returned home

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Laterite posted:

Have you seen Forever?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Laterite posted:

Seriously. The Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee with him was so odd, and he came across so creepily.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

pixaal posted:

I don't want them to explain it, I just want it to raise even more questions

Yeah, I'd be totally fine with that. As long as it's mind-bending.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/thursaconcept/status/1139160490859307008

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

pixaal posted:

After about half way into the season I was fairly certain a second season would have to follow a different person or persons. Was more sure at the end. Are we sure they are keeping any of the cast?

At one point in the last episode, Alan runs into a woman with a small dog. That felt like a possible hook, not sure why.

Just finished binging this, loved it. I could have watched Elizabeth Ashley as Ruth the entire show.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

And we’re back, baby!

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1492196808839344130

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

still a few months away.

i enjoyed s1, although i can't really remember that much in detail about it. that's probably because it's always doing the same scenes slightly differently. i forgot that alan was even a character that existed but now that i do i did like him, too. in my head it was just natasha lyonne does entertaining elderly rabbi schtick while stuck in death loop.

edit:

found the netflix synopsis for the new season

quote:

Set four years after Nadia (Natasha Lyonne) and Alan (Charlie Barnett) escaped mortality’s time loop together, season two of Russian Doll will continue to explore existential thematics through an often humorous and sci-fi lens. Discovering a fate even worse than endless death, this season finds Nadia and Alan delving deeper into their pasts through an unexpected time portal located in one of Manhattan’s most notorious locations. At first they experience this as an ever-expanding, era-spanning, intergenerational adventure but they soon discover this extraordinary event might be more than they bargained for and, together, must search for a way out.

sound different at least. not the same birthday party.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 12, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

There’s time enough to rewatch over a weekend. I certainly will because as you say, a lot of it has fallen out of my head.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Wow, was this really three years ago.

I'm in, don't have the same excitement since many details of S1 aren't fresh anymore, but it was drat good since I'm in for more.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Alan oh no what is that mustache.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Alan oh no what is that mustache.

quote:

Discovering a fate even worse than endless death

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I loved the first season and I'm hopeful for a second but maintain my wish (which extends to a lot of shows that have great self-contained first seasons) that it would be better as an anthology series where different characters undergo a similar situation.

But, I'm excited nonetheless

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Season 2 on 4/20.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmN8yvz668E

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Yes.......

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Nice

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
So excited. Can't imagine where they'll go or what they season will be saying, but she's one of the most mesmerizing performers working right now, so if they keep up any kind of narrative ambition, I'm sure it will be great.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

TRAILER

https://youtu.be/QvEyUOoLehI

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Judging by a couple of shots there, Alan is moving in time and space.

This is Berlin!

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I'm going to bump this since it's out today!

I plan to watch the first couple of episodes with my fiance tonight.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

fawning deference posted:

I'm going to bump this since it's out today!

I plan to watch the first couple of episodes with my fiance tonight.

Is it dropping all at once?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
7 episodes of season 2 are up, I assume that's all of it since season 1 was only 8 episodes and Netflix mostly drops all at once. I'm planning to watch it this weekend because I don't have time to watch more than an episode or two after work

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

MarcusSA posted:

Is it dropping all at once?

Yup, seven episodes.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

gently caress yessss

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Wow, this was a quiet drop. I just noticed the new episodes tab and was surprised to see the second season was out.

Two episodes in...

I was NOT expecting a time skip / body swap plot. That was an awesome surprise / twist from the first seasons groundhig day hook, and I'm glad I never saw any promotional material spoil it beforehand.

I love how the footage goes from a modern digital look to a fuzzy recorded on film look - it is a lovely touch and really fitting to the era and New York setting.

Like the first season it is just a joy seeing Nadia react to the supernatural situation around her. Unlike just about every other one of these similar plots that appear in other media, she (initially) seems to have zero fucks about affecting the future or figuring out what's going on - she just rolls with it.

I just wish I remembered more detail from the first season going into it. It was three years ago.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Isometric Bacon posted:

Wow, this was a quiet drop. I just noticed the new episodes tab and was surprised to see the second season was out.

Two episodes in...

I was NOT expecting a time skip / body swap plot. That was an awesome surprise / twist from the first seasons groundhig day hook, and I'm glad I never saw any promotional material spoil it beforehand.

I love how the footage goes from a modern digital look to a fuzzy recorded on film look - it is a lovely touch and really fitting to the era and New York setting.

Like the first season it is just a joy seeing Nadia react to the supernatural situation around her. Unlike just about every other one of these similar plots that appear in other media, she (initially) seems to have zero fucks about affecting the future or figuring out what's going on - she just rolls with it.

I just wish I remembered more detail from the first season going into it. It was three years ago.

Scroll down through the Season 2 episodes, and there is a nice little Season 1 recap video that's about three minutes long. We watched it first, and I had forgotten most of the stuff from the second half of the season, after she meets Alan.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

oh gently caress yeah, new Better Call Saul last night and new Russian Doll tonight, good times

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

After the first few episodes I thought it was going to take an extremely dark turn and have Nadia stuck in her mother's body forever and it's revealed that her schizophrenia was actually just Nadia trying to cope all along until she finally commits suicide. Thankfully that didn't happen because it would have been incredibly bleak!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

TV IV › Russian Doll: I'm sorry I blew your shot at having a Hungarian Nazi baby