Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Russian Doll is a Netflix comedy-drama series created by Natasha Lyonne, Amy Poehler, and Leslye Headland. It stars Lyonne and Charlie Barnett, and concerns Nadia's birthday party and her death. And then her birthday party. And then her death. And then her birthday party. And then yadda yadda yadda, you get the picture.

It's really well-written, acted, and has a killer soundtrack. There's only 8 episodes, and each is about 25 minutes long, so it's entirely bingable in an evening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHcKoAMGGvY

Spoilers abound here, and you should probably watch the whole thing before coming in. That said, tag your spoilers in the standard Netflix format like (Ep 2) Oatmeal is a cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

curiousCat posted:

Loved it. Interested to see what, if anything, (Ep8) it meant to see the other Nadias pushing past her going the other way in the parade.

Yes, that was intriguing, but I'm not sure how much is to be read into that scene at all? It seems like a little too much whimsy and fantasy for the series up to then?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Honestly, I can’t imagine getting anything from this series by watching the last episode first.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oasx posted:

I think it is a bit of a shame that Natasha Lyonne is getting all the attention for the show, sure she is the star, but Charlie Barnett as Alan is the best part of the show. Without it Nadia is just this annoying person with douchy friends.

He’s really great as NYC’s most boring black man in the first loop, and his evolution to the final loop version comes so naturally, it’s some really great acting. I noticed that his wardrobe becomes more colourful as he goes on. Initially we see he’s all in whites and greys, but then he chooses something else, and by a later loop he’s got that yellow shirt on.

Also he’s got a very nice butt. :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Great article about Natasha Lyonne’s hair.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

What in the actual gently caress

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The penultimate loop reminded me of the TNG episode ‘Remember Me’ where the weird emptiness is seen as normal by the other inhabitants.

“We’ve never needed a crew before.”

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My thing about Nadia is that she already feels very ‘out of time’ when you meet her. She comes across as this sort of 70s/80s New Yorker, of a style that doesn’t really exist any more.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

He looked perfectly fine to me. :swoon:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Season 2 confirmed! :toot:

https://twitter.com/russiandoll/status/1138566683025498113

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

And they’re filming already judging by her hair.

https://twitter.com/nlyonne/status/1138569464608202752

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Look, so long as we see more of Alan’s butt, I’m fine.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Laterite posted:

She's so great. Pity about the Fred Armisen, though.

Seriously. The Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee with him was so odd, and he came across so creepily.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/thursaconcept/status/1139160490859307008

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

And we’re back, baby!

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1492196808839344130

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

There’s time enough to rewatch over a weekend. I certainly will because as you say, a lot of it has fallen out of my head.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Nice

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

TRAILER

https://youtu.be/QvEyUOoLehI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Judging by a couple of shots there, Alan is moving in time and space.

This is Berlin!