Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MithrilRoshi
Oct 11, 2015

Now I know most thread about this have been either 'oh no epic exclusive' and so forth but I wanna have a proper discussion about the game, and I am sure the LOVELY people here would too.

SPOILERS / RANT AHEAD!
Yes I see you typing back there stop it, i warned you about the spoilers

I adore the Metro games and the Redux, that only improved on their already amazing games. The mystery of the Metro, the struggle to stay alive and the loneliness that you feel as you force your way through with ramshackle equipment and a trusty knife at your side. However while I can see why people may love Metro Exodus I cannot say the same, and hopefully within this review / rant I can explain just why I think the new game missteps in its attempts to become a fresh new take on a beloved series.

First we start off with the good and downright amazing things that this game has done right, which is pretty easy to see even by the most jaded of us. This is a refreshing take on the games, letting us go out of the metro and seeing just what lays beyond the world gives it a sense of true adventure. Going from the rubble of snowy Moscow to wind torn deserts you will experience new areas within the Metro world. You will fight and scrape for every inch of weaponry you have, and the parts system for your gun is lovely as it allows you decent freedom in how you will change your guns.

Along the way you will not be alone battling against the wilds of Russia. As a team of welcoming companions are always around and willing to talk, have a drink and praise you for a job well done. They will always be there to watch your back, though only in story based events and not following you which is a shame, and you will never feel truly alone as you come to consider these people your friends.

However with all the good must come the bad, and sadly I feel they have missed out on many chances to make this what I consider a decent FPS into a game that could be remembered fondly for years to come as a truly great game in the Metro Series.

While at first you may feel like you are out on an adventure on a stolen train away from the evils of the metro, you have zero control over this aspect of the game. You cannot choose who to pick up, where to stop what to add onto the train or who lives or dies from your actions on said train. Despite it being a focus point of the game it is just a fancy loading screen going form one map to another. Which feels more like loading levels with little connectivity to them unlike in the metro where you flowed from one are to another.

The levels themselves hold little of what people use to love about the metro games, as while they may have the monsters and human aspect they are missing a very key part; The Mystery. The Metro in Moscow was always strange, always twisting your feelings on what it means to be human and how you fit into this new anomalous world that you find yourself in. However you will find none of that within the game until towards the very end, as the most you will find will be the new enemy which is a generic ghoul type human mutant, , little electrical anomaly, a big fish and a massive storm. The closed in nature of the Metro helped build this sense of strangeness and claustrophobia but with the new open maps makes it just feel empty.

Despite all this I consider the games greatest crime to be the fact that it had a horrible issue with flow. One map to another the narrative is always interrupted by the open world, with things always in your way. Even if you finish and leave the map? There is no real impact apart from some changes on the train, which again you don't control. However such grumbling about the open world and the narrative may be more subjective as it IS a fresh new take, even without all the cool things Metro is known for.

There is one thing that both as a player and developer of video games I cannot help but slap my head at, and that is the fact there is context buttons for CRAWLING and sliding through GAPS. These buttons stop game play in its tracks for you to;

1: stand in front of the crawl space

2: locate the spot you have to stand to make the button show up

3: then HOLD THE BUTTON until it works

4: then go into a pre canned animation of crawling / sliding where you are in no danger until you are out the other side.

This one tiny game play 'feature' ruins whatever flow the game had, and its weird no one caught onto it.

All in all I feel the free roam aspect of the game would have worked much better within the Metro itself. You could have been going to undiscovered areas, restoring tracks, opening tunnels, discovering new things and have companions like Pavel that help you out and guard your train. There was so much to do within the Metro but they left it and it feels weaker for it. Even the revelation at the start which you discover you are not alone in this world could have happened right at the end of the game within the metro and it would have been HUGE.

Overall a decent FPS but a big misstep in the Metro Series - 6 / 10
Hopefully I will get a video review out for my channel soon too

TLDR - bloody context buttons, where my ghosts and weird stuff but nice train i guess

What about all of you? Can you give me a example of something you loved in the game but also something you did not like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MithrilRoshi
Oct 11, 2015

pog boyfriend posted:

cool idea for a thread, not sure if it will be immediately buried by the megathreads but good luck op. this review suffers from a lack of cohesion, and were it to be rewritten you could have made a stronger point. right now your criticisms(which are largely based off pacing) come across as disjointed nitpicking. good luck with your game reviewing You tube channel or whatever this is

Thanks for the advice! One of the main reasons it was more of a rant than review i guess.