Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

How close to the end of the game am i when I am about to go back into the gang hideout with Ren? It kinda seems like it's gonna be endgamey considering the game is like "hey man go train up a bit then come get me"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The Shame Boy posted:

How close to the end of the game am i when I am about to go back into the gang hideout with Ren? It kinda seems like it's gonna be endgamey considering the game is like "hey man go train up a bit then come get me"

Pretty close. The point of no return will be pretty clearly signposted though.

Also, this just came in the mail:

:toot:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Welp i finished Shenmue 3 today. I can see where everybody is disappointed with the ending but i feel as if i enjoyed every little bit of this game up until that point so i am pretty happy overall.

Everybody is making GBS threads on the combat but once you actually get used to it, it's actually not to bad. It just needed to be tutorialized better than "just hit buttons and poo poo i dunno". Although being maxed out in attack,health and kung fu probably helped my enjoyment in the end :v:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

It hits all the right notes and feels like a Shenmue game through and through. Despite its story and combat shortcomings, I will always love what we got with it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

man nurse posted:

It hits all the right notes and feels like a Shenmue game through and through. Despite its story and combat shortcomings, I will always love what we got with it.

Same. It’s incredible it turned out as authentic to the Dreamcast games as it did. I really hope Yu gets to do 4. Just do another Kickstarter and I’d contribute again.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
same here. even tho i still laugh out loud when i think about lan di's elite guard being obvious tier backers.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Vikar Jerome posted:

same here. even tho i still laugh out loud when i think about lan di's elite guard being obvious tier backers.

The dudes in the room with him looked cool and it's a shame they were just brushed aside.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

The dudes in the room with him looked cool and it's a shame they were just brushed aside.

I think that’s what soured me on the endgame the most. Like really, his elite guard is just played for laughs?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
the in room dudes looked badass, i remember seeing them in the early trailers, wondering what their backgrounds where and it was over so fast, one of them looked like one of the dudes in the old vf rpg chapter cards too so i wonder if they are meant to show up in later chapters.

but those elite dudes on the stairs, lol.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The third and probably final DLC, Big Merry Cruise, is hitting on the 17th of this month. They really didn't waste any time getting these DLC packs out the door.

Sounds like it's mainly just a new gambling area in the form of the ship, but supposedly there will be challenges and mini quests that will unlock items and outfits.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Via facebook:

quote:

"Q: Did you get any information by Yu Suzuki about Shenmue IV?

Cédric: Yes. I've got information about Shenmue IV... and I've seen terrific things! BUT that doesn't absolutely mean Shenmue IV will see the light. You can have stuff but still not be able to release a game. That's how it is."

So basically it sounds like there's been preliminary work done on Shenmue IV, but whether or not it gets made and released is very much up in the air. Yu Suzuki seemed optimistic and dedicated about it though, so let's hope.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

bad day to post that.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

He should just do another Kickstarter. It would probably get funded.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Shenmue 3 is on sale.

So question. Is all the dlc worth it? Standard edition is about $27 and the deluxe is $33.74 so really under 7 bucks but I wonder how much it really adds to the game.

I'm fully aware that this won't bring much closure to the story but I can't pass up being in the Chinese village with Shenhua and doing random stuff. Is there a 'soft' time limit on the game?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Ineffiable posted:

Shenmue 3 is on sale.

So question. Is all the dlc worth it? Standard edition is about $27 and the deluxe is $33.74 so really under 7 bucks but I wonder how much it really adds to the game.

I'm fully aware that this won't bring much closure to the story but I can't pass up being in the Chinese village with Shenhua and doing random stuff. Is there a 'soft' time limit on the game?

havent tried the dlc yet but the racing stuff sounds fun and the boat sounds like it adds more to do. there is a time limt but i havent looked up what the limit is/how to get it, i wouldnt worry about it tho, i took my sweet time. the shenhua stuff is worth it imo. talks long into the night, easily the best bits i'll long remember from the game.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Ineffiable posted:

Shenmue 3 is on sale.

The DLC adds a battle gauntlet mode with three playable characters, an Easter egg hunt mode, a new side quest, and basically a new gambling area with goals tied to it. It’s all very passable and won’t add much to the game unless any of that sounds appealing to you.

There is, as always, a bad ending if you take too long but I think you have to really go out of your way to get that, like the previous two games.

Enjoy rural China! It’s a fantastic experience if you have fondness for Shenmue 1 and 2.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I got around to playing this finally while waiting for RE3 and FF7.

This definitely captures the feel of the first two Shens Mue, though I have to echo complaints about the plot kind of feeling like it doesn't actually accomplish a whole lot and the combat not being all that fun. The changes to HP too are also my biggest issue overall, with it constantly draining as you explore- just kind of seems like a needless system to add on.

Still, I am kind of curious to replay this and focus on just the world and sidequests and such more, because I just beelined through the main plot this time around and the rest of the game at least seems like it has the Shenmue-y kind of stuff that I liked from the previous titles. Overall I did enjoy the game, its just more a mixed bad than I was really expecting even with considering its Kickstarter origins.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Sounds like Shenmue 4 will probably be decidedly less "Shenmue" in nature

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/shenmue-3-director-believes-4th-game-will-happen-b/1100-6476837/

On the bright side, at least he seems pretty sure it will happen

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

quest markers... well, so long as you can turn all that poo poo off for a truer experience i guess...

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I mean I get that for a Shenmue 4 to be greenlit they’d need to try to appeal to a wider audience, but then at the same time, we’re four deep into an already very niche series. I doubt gameplay changes are gonna be what makes people turn around and buy the fourth entry in a series they dislike or have no interest in. So really, if they’re gonna do it, I’d think pleasing the people who WILL want to buy it would be the priority.

What do I know, though. I don’t make games.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
It is a very smart move to try and shoot for a hypothetical audience by changing everything in a way that the audience you DO have will surely not enjoy.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Got my Shenmue 3 backer shirt in the mail. That didn’t take long, lol.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

man nurse posted:

Got my Shenmue 3 backer shirt in the mail. That didn’t take long, lol.

How’s the quality?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Gutcruncher posted:

It is a very smart move to try and shoot for a hypothetical audience by changing everything in a way that the audience you DO have will surely not enjoy.

Especially when that audience is very divided on weather or not they even like the game that they were given after 15 years of waiting

Why would you even need objective markers in Shenmue? You get all your information from talking to people anyway

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Today is the 5 year anniversary of one of the greatest E3 conferences of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsS0fWIo9FY

Other highlights included Last Gaurdian release date announcement, FF 7 Remake announcement, and Nintendo surprise releasing Mother 1 in the US.

I can still remember my disbelief and excitement from that day.

man nurse fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 15, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I didn’t expect Shenmue 3 to actually be more satisfying than FF7R.:v:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

SeANMcBAY posted:

I didn’t expect Shenmue 3 to actually be more satisfying than FF7R.:v:

This is what happens when you cheap out on the ~hand massage~

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

:heavybreathing.gif:

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1298361976746254337?s=19

For the record, this is the dude who 99.9% accurately leaks alot of resident evil stuff. Hes very legit...

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

That to me reads like Shenmue is gonna be continued in not game form, although it’s hard to imagine Yu Suzuki deciding to do that. I was under the impression he was pretty firmly committed to telling the story via games or not at all, but gently caress man, I’m a Shenmue fan, I’ll take what I can get.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I want it to be a new game announcement but maybe it isn't, either way it could be cool.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I could see 4 happening in game form. Suzuki seemed pretty confident on it and they could just reuse a lot of assets from 3.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Imagining 40 pages of a comic or manga featuring Ryo asking people if they’ve seen any thugs

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Yeah i was thinking not game form too from the wording. Hoping for 4 tho.

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1298495584421023744?s=19

Defo something new.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

If its not shenmue 4, then i hope its story expansion for 3 that ties everythibg up. The announcement is very very soon apparantly and gamescom is tomorrow...

Dunno how i would feel if it was a book.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
How much story is in 3? 1 and 2 are my favourite games ever but I choose to live in ignorant bliss that the third doesn't exist because everything I see about it looks like hot garbage

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

eleven extra elephants posted:

How much story is in 3? 1 and 2 are my favourite games ever but I choose to live in ignorant bliss that the third doesn't exist because everything I see about it looks like hot garbage

If you love 1 and 2 then should enjoy 3. It’s more Shenmue. The story doesn’t really advance anything overall but it’s fun.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Hot garbage is harsh but it certainly falls on its face at the end.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

man nurse posted:

Imagining 40 pages of a comic or manga featuring Ryo asking people if they’ve seen any thugs

They will STILL get Corey Marshal to voice Ryo in the manga somehow.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

what if its just a movie? in-game model movie or something, and they let you control some of the bigger fight scenes.

i dunno. conference is tomorrow at 18:30 gmt time, get hyped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Does this mean that after all these years, Shenmue II: The Movie is finally happening!!!!?????