Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Im still expecting lan di and ryo to have the same mother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Vikar Jerome posted:

Im still expecting lan di and ryo to have the same mother
Shenhua's poem thing will turn out to be about Lan Di and not Ryo.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
Yeah, this might actually be a thing, or these guys are twisted.

https://twitter.com/110industries/status/1516369213627465730?s=21&t=6Cjhu3OFmjjVUpIBnwRfJQ

Comments are almost all entirely about Shenmue lol.
I do think they’re doing something with Yu Suzuki. But Shenmue?

turnip kid fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 20, 2022

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

If Yu Suzuki is involved then it has to be 4. He hasn't seemed to be interested in making anything non-Shenmue related for a long time.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I can’t believe Shenmue 4 is all but announced at this point. Shits gonna be wild

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

it's going to get enough budget to be a visual novel at this point, as much as I hope otherwise

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
AAAAA budget (the first 5a game that will shatter the industry more than atari did), Ue5, vf5fs combat, no pandering to kickstarters. Still wont be the end of the story and will be 100 hours long. Believe.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Seems to be suggesting its gonna get announced when the anime finishes in the next few weeks? Ive been waiting for all them to be out so i can watch em all in the cr free trial

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Watching the anime really shows how much the wandering around and doing mundane things is so core to the gameplay because the show kinda feels like it’s on turbo speed going through any bits Ryo has to find out something or talk to somebody for info.

Like all the times you get beat up and lose a day of gameplay that would probably happen a few days apart from each other in first part of Shenmue 2 all happen in the course of a 30 minute episode and make Ryo look ( more than usual) like an idiot!

Although props to anime Ryo for not putting up with the “go get 500 bucks to talk to Ren” bullshit he just puts the guy in an armlock and goes straight there like I always thought he should.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
Seems like they’re trying to tell us something

https://twitter.com/110industries/status/1520056548600467457?s=21&t=I8O5Tr62K-CN9H17NqQ6EQ

https://twitter.com/110industries/status/1520133060267806722?s=21&t=blwLAx9CcCK3KE4TmzszWQ

Interview is really cool.

turnip kid fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 30, 2022

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

that no announcements made today pretty much confirms it lmao. lets go! ryo at great wall! i suspect it will be after the anime is over, which is like tomorrow or something, right?

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
I can’t shake the feeling they’re gonna end up announcing something involving Yu Suzuk, but not Shenmue.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Yeah I guess I just don't have the faith that this publisher I've never heard of has the budget to fund and market an entire Shenmue game.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Literally who is this publisher lol

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
Apparently some really rich guys who are publishing tons of Japanese-developed games. Their first game looks pretty ok;developed by a lot of the people who made Ninja Gaiden 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH1c4MARKME

They seem to be able to get meetings and interviews with the right people based on social media. Seems to track.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

On the other hand, nevermind! Straight from Yu Suzuki, Shenmue 4 isn't anywhere near a concrete go ahead yet.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/shenmue-creator-yu-suzuki-wants-to-make-shenmue-4-more-approachable-if-it-happens/1100-6503038/

So whatever they're trying to tease, it's almost assuredly not that.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

As much as I believe in keeping the dream alive, this whole thing with this unknown dev teasing what might've been Shenmue 4 was giving me acid flashbacks to that whole thing with that one company or whatever making everyone think they had scored Silent Hill along with Kojima or whatever that whole fiasco was.

Maybe next time.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

man nurse posted:

As much as I believe in keeping the dream alive, this whole thing with this unknown dev teasing what might've been Shenmue 4 was giving me acid flashbacks to that whole thing with that one company or whatever making everyone think they had scored Silent Hill along with Kojima or whatever that whole fiasco was.

Maybe next time.

Man that was so annoying

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
https://en.sega-dreamcast-info-games-preservation.com/shenmue-2-game-jam-japanese-prototype-release

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

they found the village they cut from sh2 in that build too, the one were we just had the 1 screenshot of from dev. all the details of what would happend in there, its pretty cool (it was a village you'd take a bike to from carmain quarter)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/segabits/status/1531715748254560258?s=21&t=MeK_x4tbVty5FavCQOv6yQ
So this is what he was working on. It being a phone game is disappointing but can’t say I’m not interested still. I’m curious to play another arcadey game from him.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
Looks insane. The music helps.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yeah it looks cool. I just hope it ends up on non-phone platformers eventually.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Air Twister is out and it’s pretty tight. Totally feels like a Panzer Dragoon game with an interesting soundtrack. You also fly on a giant goose sometimes. I hope it comes out on non-phone things.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
It’s honestly kind of godly. Yu Suzuki absolutely nails this type of stuff in his sleep. Should’ve done more of this to keep the funds trickling in.

https://twitter.com/camjo_z/status/1540711420530139136?s=21&t=isfMoR7WX0GsTrKvYGonNg

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Has anyone datamined it yet for leftover shenmue 4 files???

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
It’s made by a lot of the same people going by the credits, so at least there’s some sort of continuity. Quite a lot is locked behind walls, so who knows. Surprising amount of story content, which is all bizarre and hilarious. Almost like they heard all the complaints about Shenmue 3’s story so they decided to stuff this little action game with like 500 pages of lore.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah mobile only is a no go for me, but I do love a Yu Suzuki arcade style joint. Especially if it’s Space Harrier adjacent.

Jeff Gerstmann just put up like an hour long video of himself checking it out, so I’ll probably watch some of that. Oughta get the game at least a little more notice, too.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yeah I played more and it’s really good. It needs to come out on other things. It already has controller support so they just need to port it over.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I’d be okay buying that game on iPhone but it looks like it’s a arcade subscription only thing. I’m not subscribing to that just to play New Space Harrier

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Gutcruncher posted:

I’d be okay buying that game on iPhone but it looks like it’s a arcade subscription only thing. I’m not subscribing to that just to play New Space Harrier

I got a free 6 month trial from Target.

https://www.target.com/circle/partners

You can immediately cancel so it’ll just expire in 6 months and you can use it until then without worrying about being charged.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
The curse continues. (This is one of the guys in charge of Toonami/Adult Swim.)

https://twitter.com/Clarknova1/status/1574971363453857792

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
One day we will meet Lan Di

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Shame but I didn’t watch it so I guess I can’t complain too much.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Man, the first tow games are so my jam. I've only watched an LP of the first one but everything I've ed and seen makes it a "beautiful disaster" like Xenogears and Metal Gear Solid 2 and several other beloved video games of mine. I admire ambition and vision, even flawed ones.

I just always wanted to get them on Dreamcast for the authentic experience. I might still do that but I guess I could get 1 and 2 on Steam? I can get 1 and 2 as a sort of retro collection thing later on.

But I also hate starting something and never finishing it. I'm never gonna re-read A Song of Ice and Fire because Martin won't ever finish that poo poo. Is ther any chance Snemue will be finished?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I just got al the games on Steam. gently caress it.

Shenmue fascinates me, everything I see and hear about it. Does anyone have a good article or even video essay on its very unique development?

Like, I just read they got actual weather records from 1986 to have the right weather on certain days. That's absolutely insane but awesome.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Your first playthrough of 1 has it's own ingame weather patterns, i think it's a secondplaythrough/an option you can turn on to use the actual weather for the region in that time? Either way it's still really cool!

Edit: I didn't find a video essay but there is this neat little article.

https://readonlymemory.vg/the-making-of-shenmue/

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The footage of the Saturn version of Shenmue is a trip.

If this is your first time playing through the games, please provide trip reports. I love seeing other people experience poo poo I like for the first time.

Also yeah in the original Dreamcast version, you unlocked the “real weather data” for future playthroughs. I forget if it’s an option outright on the HD versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

Is ther any chance Snemue will be finished?

Considering the sales of 3 and how the anime was received i'm very uncertain about ever getting to see the end of this story sadly :(