Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

Ryo completely forgets about Nozomi and joins Tom on his globetrotting hot dog adventures.

This has been my headcanon for nearly 20 years and will be for another 20 unless Tom shows up and gets murked by Lan Di

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ryo's losing his final battle with Lan Di, he's on the ropes, Lan Di will kill him for sure -

Suddenly, out of nowhere...!

"HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII RYO. YOU LOOK LIKE YOU COULDA USE SOME HELP, RIYIGHT? I BROUGHT SOME DOGS."

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Vikar Jerome posted:

we need more poeple like this in this dumbfuck industry instead we just get endless AAA GAAS bullshit, loving rare for anyone to have and follow through with a grand vision anymore.

And by not taking this this once in a lifetime chance, his grand vision will once again end on a cliffhanger. The miraculous series of events that lead to people dumping money on him will not happen again.

Clearly he never promised that 3 would finish the story, it’s just the only remotely sane thing he could’ve done.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think one big difference since 2015 was several really excellent yakuza games came out and got a lot of exposure in the west. At the time of the kickstarter I definitely didn’t have that awareness. Knowing the formula has been massively evolved on and polished elsewhere recontextualizes shenmue in a less favorable way to me

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yakuza games go for an entirely different thing though, that's like saying you look less favourably on Gone Home because Doom 2016 exists.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Gutcruncher posted:

And by not taking this this once in a lifetime chance, his grand vision will once again end on a cliffhanger. The miraculous series of events that lead to people dumping money on him will not happen again.

Clearly he never promised that 3 would finish the story, it’s just the only remotely sane thing he could’ve done.

He didnt want to compromise his vision and let the fans down with a rushed game, which ia why hes making this in the first place. He is perfectly sane.

He didnt wake up one day and suddenly people where throwing kickstarter money at him. This one in a lifetime thing called kickstarter which you think you can only use once for some reason, isnt the only horse out there. You're also ignoring the sony money and the deep silver money and now the egs money. He didnt come out of semi retirement to milk the series dry. The kickstarter was more of an interest gauge, however shady you might think that is.

Shenmue 4 is like a 90% lock without crowdfunding at this point going by what deep silver have been saying. It was sega loving around before and people thinking there was no interest in the series, just a few online weirdos which is why it took so long, the kickstarter showed these publishers that there was money in it after all. Which is why we got the hd remasters of 1&2 which sat high on the charts in the uk for a few weeks on release.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
this is what he said last year, translated. spoilered because people might not wanna know but:

- According to Yu Suzuki, Shenmue III begins from Chapter Six of the story's eleven planned chapters, and will "mark the end of this story," but will not be the end of the story. In a 2018 interview with GamersFlag, Yu Suzuki stated, "the end will be open for a sequel," suggesting Shenmue III might end on a cliffhanger https://translate.google.com/transl...ors-magic-2018/

so make of that what you will in how the story will play out.

and in regards to shenmue 4, it wont be as long as the wait for 3 was, they now have the base and assets and can go from there.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

anyway, to change the subject, this is pretty cool. someone found a move in the original shenmue that they cut out at the last min, for obvious reasons, and reactivated it. probably not that chinese scroll move but who knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Eb5bBLF7v8

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Just realized, all this talk of when will it end reminded me that Yu Suzuki already told us how it all ends, so enjoy if you don't wanna wait anymore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar0KojxIvmQ

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

Just realized, all this talk of when will it end reminded me that Yu Suzuki already told us how it all ends, so enjoy if you don't wanna wait anymore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar0KojxIvmQ

Yu hurt his game for money. less people will see it. less likely to get support to make a 4. or a 5. or a 6. or a 7. he better hope he remembers how to make virtua fighter games cause that is his last good grace with a lot of people. (myself drat sure included.)

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

they're in the "oh poo poo, that's a bad reaction" phase of seeing consequences

Project Update #103: Shenmue 3 by Ys Net posted:

A message from Ys Net, Epic Games and Deep Silver

Hello Everyone,

We want to make sure that the Backers are aware that we are listening to their concerns. We kindly ask all our fans to have some patience, we are currently at E3 demoing the game and need to get back to our respective offices to assess the situation and together find a way forward to justify the trust you placed in us.

Thank you for your patience and support.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah they finally realized they’re in deep poo poo

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Vikar Jerome posted:

He didnt wake up one day and suddenly people where throwing kickstarter money at him. This one in a lifetime thing called kickstarter which you think you can only use once for some reason, isnt the only horse out there. You're also ignoring the sony money and the deep silver money and now the egs money. He didnt come out of semi retirement to milk the series dry. The kickstarter was more of an interest gauge, however shady you might think that is.

Shenmue 3 had a near-zero chance of happening for many years. It getting a chance to actually happen due to the generosity of internet randos (most of who have never played a Shenmue) throwing money at it was extremely unlikely, and actual publishers deciding to throw even more money at it was even more unlikely. This is especially true now that people have actually played Shenmue 1 and 2 and realize that its the most boring game ever. Dont get me wrong, Shenmue is among my favorite games ever but the general public will not be on board continuing to spend money on a series that revels in its own boringness.

Shenmue will never finish. It feels like Yu Suzuki took this chance for granted, expecting that it wont be a problem to get funding for a 4th 5th and 6th.

Hes in his 60s now, he cant wait 20 years between installments.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

AkumaHokoru posted:

Yu hurt his game for money. less people will see it. less likely to get support to make a 4. or a 5. or a 6. or a 7. he better hope he remembers how to make virtua fighter games cause that is his last good grace with a lot of people. (myself drat sure included.)

Maybe Shenmue 4 will just be Virtua Fighter 6

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
We need outrun 3

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
The fact that Yu thinks that he can make three more games is an enormous bummer. It's never getting finished.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The full Shenmue story will likely remain one of life's great mysteries. Yu will probably take it to the grave with him.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
i just watched this and a journalist asked him about it today, i have it timestamped here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbkHb8xfUmA&t=3080s

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

EA Sports posted:

i just watched this and a journalist asked him about it today, i have it timestamped here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbkHb8xfUmA&t=3080s

that guy is wrong, shenmue 3 does not cover 3 through 6. unless its a remake of shenmue 2.

so tired of all these hottakes because it doesnt have 24xsmaa wtih rtx super sampling vertex shaders and you have double click another .exe now.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 14, 2019

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

At least it's not that MMO I guess

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

we're getting a shenmue 4.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Vikar Jerome posted:

we're getting a shenmue 4.

very cool, but also likely a result of all the fans going and preordering copies. We'll see how it does from hereon out, and more importantly after release.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

man nurse posted:

The full Shenmue story will likely remain one of life's great mysteries. Yu will probably take it to the grave with him.

Shortly after Yu Suzuki's death "USING NOTES FOUND IN SAFE DEPOSIT BOX, KEVIN J. ANDERSON AND BRIAN HERBERT HAVE CREATED AN EXCITING NEW VISION EXPLAINING THE ORIGINS AND CONCLUSION OF THE SHENMUE SAGA"

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'm gonna play shenmue 3 no matter what and nobody can stop me!

Also I'll buy shenmue 4 if/when it exists. This is somehow one of the most down to earth, daily life style simulator games out there.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
I thought this was cool:

https://twitter.com/TheLeeMather/status/1140318448595038208

Dude who's in charge of the F1 series.

Love seeing great developers pay tribute to the GOAT.

I suspect Suzuki's ok never making another game if it isn't Shenmue. He doesn't follow the industry or play games, so he's just kind of in his own bubble anyway.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Timestamped this at the relevant CORE GAMEPLAY.

Just hearing Ryo's english VA again and the classic sound effects is making me all tingly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgREZjAfM68&t=741s

"This is cool."

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not authentic if the voices don't sound like they've been recorded through a cardboard tube :colbert:

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I love that Ryu is locked into a perpetual middle-distance stare and he does that weird left-right look whenever he talks to himself.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'm gonna miss the old lady that screeches "DIIIIOOOO" at you

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Friendly notification that Shenmue I & II is on sale right now on Playstation Store for a cool $18.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Oh gently caress I just realized that the capsule toys probably can’t be full of classic Sega properties. gently caress.

This is like when they removed the Timex logo from Ryos watch: the worst thing ever.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Gutcruncher posted:

Oh gently caress I just realized that the capsule toys probably can’t be full of classic Sega properties. gently caress.

This is like when they removed the Timex logo from Ryos watch: the worst thing ever.

There's at least a capsule toy machine full of characters from Shenmue itself. Don't you want little collectible figures of Ine-san and friends?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Gutcruncher posted:

Afterburner 2 music plays when you are doing well at the wood chopping, so there might be more. no sega arcades tho but there are some sega rights in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPzWqMxvoXE

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

these fan edited trailers are a 100 times better than what deep silver has been putting out. this fanedit seems to be using newer build of the game somehow too, different shots like shenhua on the boat and the stuff from the epic store trailer. looks great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csSWS55635k

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Big new Kickstarter update that adresses the EGS situation and breaks down how the game was expanded from its initial vision as well as what has been changed/cut.

quote:

Summary:

Backers who choose EGS key on Day 1 can also request a Steam key after a year (you will need to specify this on the updated survey when it goes live)

Refund requests are to be opened soon

Changing PC reward to PS4 is still possible

Option to change PS4 region to be added to the survey (though you may encounter shipping delays if you do)

PC Disc will contain EGS installer, not actual game data

10 unreached stretch goals have been implemented into the final game

Character Perspective system has been scrapped

Baisha has been changed to 'Fortified Castle Area' to accommodate 'major changes and additions', still has minigames and battle events

Scale of game is greater than Shenmue II

Shenmue III starts one day after Shenmue II. Story now has more cinematic and nostalgic scenes

Yu Suzuki apologizes for the delay in clarifying the EGS situation

Here's the breakdown:

A little bit bummed we won't be getting the planned "switch between playing as Ryo/Ren/Shenhua" system in the Baisha area (excuse me, "Fortified Castle" area), but otherwise it's good to hear that the game was able to be expanded beyond what was initially possible.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

quote:

Version Availability

a. PC Physical: Package (Disc) + EGS Key

Hey, wow - awesome a physical edi...

quote:

PC Physical version

The PC Physical version will be delivered on disk. However, the disk will contain the Epic Games Store installer and not the actual game data.

... oh.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

opt-in for the exclusive chance to get your key a year later!

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Honestly hoping this is the end of Shenmue now.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

man nurse posted:

Big new Kickstarter update that adresses the EGS situation and breaks down how the game was expanded from its initial vision as well as what has been changed/cut.

Here's the breakdown:

A little bit bummed we won't be getting the planned "switch between playing as Ryo/Ren/Shenhua" system in the Baisha area (excuse me, "Fortified Castle" area), but otherwise it's good to hear that the game was able to be expanded beyond what was initially possible.

wait, so thats what the character perspective system was? just the playing as ren and shenhua in one section? would have been cool i guess, didnt like the idea of switch characters tho, to me feels better when the story goes through ryo's perspective. feel like they dev'ed this like a "real game" if you know what i mean, in a good way, cutting and changing things that didnt fit the vision/caused problems rather than full on sticking 100% stretch goals but i get that does sound sketchy coming from a kickstarter.

do we know what the extra unfunded stretch goals where? i remember seeing one which was "Yu Suzuki's full vision of an open world" or something like that at 10mil. edit: oh im an idiot, didnt see the image fully.

i'm not even gonna comment on the pc situation, i was always going ps4 anyway but holy poo poo.

story wise, sounds like the baisha/fortified castle is end game right? getting kowloon hotel level by level fight flashbacks.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Vikar Jerome posted:

story wise, sounds like the baisha/fortified castle is end game right? getting kowloon hotel level by level fight flashbacks.

Yes, and early interviews have Yu making it sound like there's some sort of siege/warring factions element at play in that area. What that means as far as game mechanics is anyone's guess, especially given the development changes.