Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

What astrological event.

An ipsis, where portions of the earth become unreal and things generally begin sloughing toward an event horizon at the equator. That doesn’t happen in our galaxy, we have an imsis, and that doesn’t happen until 19 million and some odd years in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ummmm, do you need us to call someone for you?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Ah yes of course

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

An ipsis, where portions of the earth become unreal and things generally begin sloughing toward an event horizon at the equator. That doesn’t happen in our galaxy, we have an imsis, and that doesn’t happen until 19 million and some odd years in the future.

I can't believe I didn't know this. Thanks.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shampy posted:

I still don’t understand where you’re coming from? There is something actually going on between India and Pakistan

Some rear end in a top hat in the UN is literally commanding these assholes to do hostile flyovers on both sides to make news to condition people to be at odds with brown people so they become desensitized to police brutality against them and don’t protest when it happens in their own country, same poo poo that’s been going on for years.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wait, I thought it was to fight against the ipsis.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

What astrological event.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Some rear end in a top hat in the UN is literally commanding these assholes to do hostile flyovers on both sides to make news to condition people to be at odds with brown people so they become desensitized to police brutality against them and don’t protest when it happens in their own country, same poo poo that’s been going on for years.

Probably those damned Illuminati reptlians.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

kay thread saved thank you ClamdestineBoyster

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Xenocides posted:

ssh, we're supposed to keep that a secret!

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xenocides posted:

No it’s probably the assholes who mouth off about nuclear hellfire every time there’s some drama in tan peoples countries. They’re just as guilty as the people who order and execute the military operations and the cops who beat and enslave the dark skinned people and should be held under tribunal imo because threatening nuclear war generally isn’t protected speech and making terrorist threats to incite police escalations against impoverished portions of the population is a crime.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I wonder how this will impact the volume of poo poo from people making GBS threads in the streets?

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Who are the white hat cowboys and who are the black hat cowboys?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

CHEF!!! posted:

Hey, if that's what it takes for me to get less spam calls and emails from Sunthil Vivek Abishek Neeraj Sreethapi (or "Bob Jones") about exciting IT opportunities in Dirtbag, Mississippi, complete with nonsensical highlighting and English grammar that would embarrass a 4th grader, I won't complain.

so what your saying is they should do the needful

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

it kinda seems like pakistan, palestine and poland should just be pals because everybody likes to try to kill them.

If I'm understanding this right. And I give no guarantee on that.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

No it’s probably the assholes who mouth off about nuclear hellfire every time there’s some drama in tan peoples countries.

what the gently caress are you talking about

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Mozi posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about

I dunno but it sounds kinda racist even to me.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I dunno but it sounds kinda racist even to me.

Wow holy poo poo I’m somehow a racist now, welp that’s news to me buddy!

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Yeah, because you assume bad news in certain parts of the world is just fear-mongering from some international cabal intent on holding onto power through racism.

Actually, are you just off your meds?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

There are better ways to group segments of people than "tan" just fyi.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

show bom

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Hmm well to be fair India still hasn't mastered indoor plumbing and Pakistan doesn't seem any better.
We can cool the planet a few degrees and cut overpopulation back a hair.
I'm ok with letting this play out.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

Probably a pervert too. Anything else youd like to share?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

I dunno what you're doing just don't stop now

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pnumoman posted:

Yeah, because you assume bad news in certain parts of the world is just fear-mongering from some international cabal intent on holding onto power through racism.

Actually, are you just off your meds?

gently caress you.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Anybody know how powerful the nukes are in the India/Pakistan's arsenals? Are they mostly the size of the Nagasaki/Hiroshima bombs? I know they don't have anything nearly as strong as what the US and Russia(10-25 megatons) have but I'm curious just in case these child states take it to the next level.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

gently caress you.

you're a loving moron

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mozi posted:

you're a loving moron

So you are for nuclear war then. :shuckyes:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

hell yeah :regd08:

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
code:
How about a nice game of chess?

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Gresh posted:

Anybody know how powerful the nukes are in the India/Pakistan's arsenals? Are they mostly the size of the Nagasaki/Hiroshima bombs? I know they don't have anything nearly as strong as what the US and Russia(10-25 megatons) have but I'm curious just in case these child states take it to the next level.

India at least is capable of thermonuclear (fusion+fission) weapons, so in practical terms, trivially any yield is possible

Maximum yield is only a consideration for pure fission weapons, really.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I guess the moral of the story is that nukes don’t discriminate, but people who claim their origin to be from middle eastern people do.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
they need to pull together how the hell are we going to beat the aliens when we can't even get on the same page!

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A hammer is for building a house, not prying off your toenails.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Gresh posted:

Neither India nor Pakistan have thermonuclear devices (the megaton range) or even boosted fission bombs. India has the capability since they have a lot of heavy water production plants to work with to make thermonuclear bombs, but the cost is non-trivial for practically zero return. All of them are less than 100 kilotons, and they both have ballpark 100-200 of them, mostly on intermediate range ballistic missiles, and a few old rear end traditional bombs.

The big worry is how bad of a fire will happen to all the cities lit up from the nuclear bombs, which could throw a lot of smoke up into the atmosphere and cause some problems.

EDIT: even the "smaller" bombs are nasty enough. a half-dozen 100kt nukes with judicious placement would more effectively wipe a major city than a single megaton bomb.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Lithium is for stabilising your mood, and also for making batteries!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
if i remember right, nuclear winter assumes the following chain of events:

- most cities hit will erupt into firestorms (which is a specific phenomenon and not just a lot of fire)
- the firestorms will produce enormous amounts of submicron dust
- the submicron dust is injected into the stratosphere
- it lingers there for an extended period of time rather than falling back down

if any of those fail to happen, there's no nuclear winter

it's worth noting the original proponents of nuclear winter theory also believed that large scale oil well fires would gently caress up the climate like a nuclear winter, but that wasn't the case during or after the 1991 gulf war

all that said there are still lots of excellent reasons to abhor even a limited exchange, like millions of dead people, radioactive fallout, and overall global turmoil

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SuperiorColliculus posted:

Oh hey look tough guy is threatening to put me on lithium against my will! I got some top secret reptilian Illuminati drugs for you buddy!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Do it ironically posted:

they need to pull together how the hell are we going to beat the aliens when we can't even get on the same page!

I guess Domination is out, but maybe we can pull off a Cultural victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

SuperiorColliculus posted:

And, of course, thermonuclear bombs!