Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

The Dipshit posted:

Neither India nor Pakistan have thermonuclear devices (the megaton range) or even boosted fission bombs.

Depends who you believe I guess

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB934836102919955535

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Hey guys, what's going on in this thread?

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

if i remember right, nuclear winter assumes the following chain of events:

- most cities hit will erupt into firestorms (which is a specific phenomenon and not just a lot of fire)
- the firestorms will produce enormous amounts of submicron dust
- the submicron dust is injected into the stratosphere
- it lingers there for an extended period of time rather than falling back down

if any of those fail to happen, there's no nuclear winter

it's worth noting the original proponents of nuclear winter theory also believed that large scale oil well fires would gently caress up the climate like a nuclear winter, but that wasn't the case during or after the 1991 gulf war

all that said there are still lots of excellent reasons to abhor even a limited exchange, like millions of dead people, radioactive fallout, and overall global turmoil

The thing to remember is a fire started by a nuclear bomb is just a regular rear end fire, not some incredible event spewing smoke in to the stratosphere like a supervolcano or a big asteroid impact

We've had a lot of big fires lately, hasn't been a worldwide crisis yet

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

vyst posted:

I wonder how this will impact the volume of poo poo from people making GBS threads in the streets?

It’s actually agents of the global shadow government who are making GBS threads in the streets

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

The war comes to an end after India detonates two nuclear weapons over the city of Islamabad

The two devices were named "Show Bobs" and "Bitch Lasagna"

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

So you are for nuclear war then. :shuckyes:

I want to express this as nonjudgemental as possible: you come across as mentally ill. I get that your vague sentiment is intended to be anti-racist but your thoughts are not coming together very well. Your beliefs are not only absurd fringe conspiracy, they are expressed in a disjointed and confusing manner.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Maybe a couple nukes getting thrown around is just the kick in the pants our species needs

Moon Atari posted:

I want to express this as nonjudgemental as possible: you come across as mentally ill. I get that your vague sentiment is intended to be anti-racist but your thoughts are not coming together very well. Your beliefs are not only absurd fringe conspiracy, they are expressed in a disjointed and confusing manner.

Racist

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Moon Atari posted:

Look at mister big brains over here!

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Moon Atari posted:

Hey dude, you are the guy who can’t read and comprehend simple English at a 3rd grade level, maybe you really ought to be committed and stripped of your free speech.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah the only real issue with making thermonuclear bombs after making regular nukes is getting tritium and it's the same process as making heavy water. Oddly enough the Indian leadership has been happy to have enough nuclear weapons to ensure Pakistan dies and not much more. They're not interested in spending on more than that.

Also, as a nitpicket, neutron bombs are designed for higher gamma flash, not a bigger bomb.Though yes, making one means you can make the other.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
“I don’t know what you are talking about” is usually what a guilty person says, just sayin. :shrug:

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Hey dude, you are the guy who can’t read and comprehend simple English at a 3rd grade level, maybe you really ought to be committed and stripped of your free speech.

Breathe bud nobody gonna get nuked

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Electroshock is a like a nuke for your brain that helps it post perhaps a bit less schizoid.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
launch the loving nukes u cowards

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Chinatown posted:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Chinatown posted:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I long for the day when I get to leave all my possessions save a bicycle and a few essential tools behind and get to leave this frozen hellscape and roam a scorched hellscape that's at least warm.

Maybe India and Pakistan doing the needful will give me that chance sooner than later.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Reading this thread almost makes me wish for a nuclear winter.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

EvilJoven posted:

I long for the day when I get to leave all my possessions save a bicycle and a few essential tools behind and get to leave this frozen hellscape and roam a scorched hellscape that's at least warm.

Maybe India and Pakistan doing the needful will give me that chance sooner than later.

We're all working on that, but India and Pakistan may be taking a shortcut. The rest of us are waiting until global warming does the job.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
the lol we’re all gonna die embrace teh hellfire style posting is a cry 4 help . go to the doctor

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUbqbpBX1Us

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Chinatown posted:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
So far 1 - 2 in Pakistan's favor. India needs to catch up with at least two jet kills or at least wipe out a regiment of Pakistani troops.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
Nukes are bad for business. When you start seeing op-eds in the New York Times and Wall Street Journal asking things like "Would nuclear war be a boon to the economy?" is when you need to start worrying

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

this better not ruin my vacation plans!!!!!!! <:mad:>

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

https://twitter.com/TreyYingst/status/1100827406288457728

https://twitter.com/sotiridi/status/1100826263399337985

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

You know what those small yield nukes are good for? Taking out massed formations of enemy troops and supplies.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

spacetoaster posted:

You know what those small yield nukes are good for? Taking out massed formations of enemy troops and supplies.

imo

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Rutibex posted:

Lol a volcano releases more ash than some low level nuclear war. those projections are just alarmism, our crops would be fine. The only people who would suffer would be in the nuked areas.

Nerses IV posted:

The thing to remember is a fire started by a nuclear bomb is just a regular rear end fire, not some incredible event spewing smoke in to the stratosphere like a supervolcano or a big asteroid impact

It's amazing how maga chuds are universally like this. Just so insanely loving dumb, but more than that downright aggressive in their ignorance. A strange and pathetic phenomenon

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chinatown posted:

They wouldn’t even be talking about this poo poo if they hadn’t already had a failed nuke launch.

eternity test
Apr 30, 2006

Nerses IV posted:

Pretty sure those nuclear winter projections hinges on cities turning into firestorms ala Dresden in WW2, not just regular rear end fires.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
We were all thinking the Mideast could be the starting point for the world's end because the west loves it's Abrahamic religions but now we see that Kali Yuga shall end somewhere in Central/SE Asia.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

They wouldn’t even be talking about this poo poo if they hadn’t already had a failed nuke launch.

Are you seriously trying to imply they've already tried to nuke each other but it didn't work?

Because...what?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

SuperiorColliculus posted:

Are you seriously trying to imply they've already tried to nuke each other but it didn't work?

Because...what?

He's right, you know

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Moon Atari posted:

Is this your first time encountering ClamdestineBoyster?

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

eternity test posted:

Pretty sure those nuclear winter projections hinges on cities turning into firestorms ala Dresden in WW2, not just regular rear end fires.

Something that nuclear weapons are not especially good at, even after taking in to account the construction techniques of the two places they were ever used in anger

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SuperiorColliculus posted:

Because...what?

No I’m implying the global intelligence network tried to set off nukes in that region and failed and they are waging a groundwar/air strike as punishment. Then they complainin about their planes getting shot down. Now cops are keistering lithium and monkey poo poo as punishment for that.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

:aaaaa:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Ugh. Can we not do this kickoff to doomsday poo poo for another forty years or so? I still have a lot of junk food to eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean it just seems like there’s a whole bunch of people here getting upset about the nukes not going off, and saying they are going to try again if they get their feelings hurt on the internet. :shrug: