Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
don't cult me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
that was a sign up post however

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Retro Futurist posted:

##Vote no lynch

Totally an all vanilla town game

Nah

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

onsetOutsider posted:

[dumb baby mode] what does pgo stand for? and if you give a joke answer i'm voting you

it's an acronym that literally stands for "Paranoid Gun Owner"

do with that info what you will

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

onsetOutsider posted:

oh i get it. thanks

no prob maf babby

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
I don't think we have a weird set up on our hands. I think there are clues in the flavor.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
I say kill the scum claimer

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

flerp posted:

kill the kill the scum claimer claimer

fair

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
ok ##vote Sol

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

onsetOutsider posted:

i dont like being confused.

and you willingly joined a game of SA mafia?

:ohdear:

Well let me tell ya, you're in for a wild ride

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Lying as town about game stuff is great. You can fool scum into wasting night actions, or otherwise misdirect. And when your claim comes you just detail the what/why and you're golden.

That and there's the delicate balance between being too scummy to be night-murdered and not scummy enough to be dunked.

Lying is a beautiful thing.

Yeah I don't think I agree with this, at least not the tone of how acceptable lying as town seems here.

There are situations were town gambits work, but this are so few and far between imo.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Are you excited or nervous about rolling scum this game DB?

I'm excited about contracting the plague

SolusLunes posted:

If you're not gambiting as town, are you even having fun?

I have more fun gambiting as scum tbh

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

SolusLunes posted:

well yes but this is about having fun as town

I understand this may not be applicable to you this game, but you need to work with me here

work with scum? NEVER!

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
tobbs did you scum claim too or did I dream that?

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
who (other than me) do you think is scum toobs

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Wild guess, nep-nep and RF

that's weird as heck because I had vibes about them too.

but I think i'm still gonna vote Sol the OG scum claimer.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Retro Futurist posted:

Not changing my vote unless someone dies tonight or someone flips scum

doesn't seem protown to me, no lunching

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
top o' the mornin y'all

looks like RF is sticking to their guns on this one.

##vote RF

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
well would following the natural progress to RF achieving their hypothetical win-con (of getting lunched) be bad for town?

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
ASF has been pretty quiet so far

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
No lunching doesn't seem fine to me but I guess that's what's happening

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Hal Incandenza posted:

I truly don't see a compelling case on anyone yet, today was pretty uneventful (I certainly did not do my part)

I mean I will vote RF so we don't no-cuddle if people really want someone dead but I feel like that's just a crapshoot

Ok

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Still think RF could be scum that wanted a no lunch.

But what if I do this ##vote ASF???

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
fwiw I think Sal is looking suss for the "whoops I didn't hammer" comment and also the opening comment of today which seems a little fishy (perhaps to get the doc to claim absent mindedly or something):

SalTheBard posted:

I guess the all vanilla theory is dead with a backup doctor. I would presume that means we have another doctor somewhere.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
##unvote

ASF who do you think is scum?

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Retro Futurist posted:

What's my endgame?

I figured its just as simple as lead town away from possibly dunking a scum and take that advantage to take an early lead with a double NK.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Retro Futurist posted:

Wouldn't it make more sense to lead town to lynch another town then? Or wait until there's momentum on my scum buddy?

yeah, those things make more sense than coming right out of the gate with a no-lunch vote. hmm..

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Retro Futurist posted:

Actually worth noting here, with 11 players and 2 kills last night we probably have 2 single player scum teams.
Alternative would be a 2 man team with a double kill but that seems less likely

If that is the case, I'd like to assume that one scum eliminating the other scum is part of this hypothetical set-up (for each of their win-cons, respectively). In a scenario like that I would assume that each scum would be actively hunting the other. Unfortunately, I think the evidence we have thus far does not show a level of active scum hunting that supports this theory in my opinion.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

onsetOutsider posted:

my noob senses still tell me that flerp is sus... may be valuable since im unbiased? 🤷‍♀️

(wait wtf do iphone emojis work in sa...?? its showing in the preview)

what about flerp is pinging you?

(yes, that iphone shrug emoji works on sa)

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

onsetOutsider posted:

i knew that your vote for rf was a joke early on, but when i was skimming your post history it was one of your 4 votes so i included it to strengthen my point that you've been voting pretty wildly. and my point stands that you didnt explain yourself when voting for solus, db, and bee, all of which were serious votes.

using a vote you think is a joke to craft a narrative of scummy behavior for a player is not good look imo

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Dick Bastardly posted:

using a vote you think is a joke to craft a narrative of scummy behavior for a player is not a good look imo

edit: added a missing word because it was freaking me out

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Nep-Nep posted:

It's not exactly the same thing but weren't you on solus for a good part of yesterday for their jokephase scumclaim?

I still don't know for certain if that claim was a joke or not

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
One possible motive for scum to kill Tobbs was to reinforce the reverse psychology that because Tobbs flipped town, Sol's claim that they are scumbros with Tobbs and flerp must be false. Planning a gambit like that doesn't really make sense but I've seen plenty of nonsensical things happen in games of sa mafia.

I don't like to believe any theory is "too dumb" to be true, because I'm worried scum might try to do really dumb things and try to get away with them for fun because why not. At least that's something I feel like I might do as scum.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Retro Futurist posted:

Oh wait, poo poo

I could be spinning into crazy theory territory, but what if the two kills are due to there being two scum like I said, but rather than individual teams they’re working together, but can’t communicate. Scum claiming in that case would be a bold but wise move, they may not even know who the other is

That would explain the lack of activity that made the original theory (of two separate one-player scum teams that are adversarial) not likely.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
fwiw nep-nep's case on me seems coherent and based on what I think is reasonable suss. Doesn't read like scum trying hard to push a mislunch.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

SolusLunes posted:

EXACTLY AS KEIKAKU

I entirely agree with this. Optimal play is generally boring. Taking stupid risks for fun makes mafia enjoyable.

On the wild setup spec front, I would be unsurprised for it to be traditional scum + SK. Just because the kill flavors are the same doesn't mean that scum + SK is impossible.

Interesting, but... how would scum know? Unless they were told there are separate scum teams? Hm.

I'm not entirely sure the bolded part is sincere or not, but assuming it is: How is a "plan" to scum claim during jokephaize pro town?

Let's look at it from both perspectives (it's a joke vs. it's not a joke):

It's a joke: If it's a joke, or town gambit, then the purpose would be (I assume) to draw out scum votes as a "honey pot" of sorts. The logic here being; "It's so obvious a joke that only scum would take it to the point of crafting a narrative to cast shade on the joker." That could very well be the case here. This is the only logical reason I can think of that answers the question how a gambit like that could be pro-town. I guess it's up to town to decide the likelihood of this being the case with Sol's scumclaim.

It's not a joke: If it's not a joke, the purpose (I think) would be to simply play in a manner that's "too dumb to be scum" and thus cultivating town cred right off the bat whilst simultaneously advancing a reverse psychology ploy to not only craft more town cred by illustrating the flaw in the claim (that Tobbs is a scumbro, and by killing Tobbs and flipping them town shows the "jokiness" of the scum-claim) but also to frame flerp which is reinforced by the following post:

SolusLunes posted:

tobbs status: dead

flerp status: alive

:thunk:

with what Sol is putting forward as a theory about scum-team set-up, I think it very likely that Sol is 3P at the very least and perhaps either trying to coordinate in thread with another unknown scum player (as evidenced by two NKs, I don't think the mod would have to necessarily divulge that info in a PM) or trying to suss out the other 3P/scum that could be adversarial to Sol.

Or it could really be that it's a town gambit to "honey pot" scum voters. :shrug:

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

onsetOutsider posted:

well, if he agrees... ##vote db

:ughh:

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
*reads Onsets posts*

my heart: they're new, probably nothing awry here.

my mind: they're scum YOU FOOL

(and I have been fooled by this type of ploy before)

I think the greater part of me wants to look elsewhere. I'm thinking players that are participating a whole lot. I'm looking at ASF in this regard. Would vote Onset if it comes down to the wire (deadline is tonight I believe).

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Dick Bastardly posted:

*reads Onsets posts*

my heart: they're new, probably nothing awry here.

my mind: they're scum YOU FOOL

(and I have been fooled by this type of ploy before)

I think the greater part of me wants to look elsewhere. I'm thinking players that are not participating a whole lot. I'm looking at ASF in this regard. Would vote Onset if it comes down to the wire (deadline is tonight I believe).

Edit: added the bolded word, important for context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
##vote ASF

Promised a re-read. I do not see one and time is running out.