Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Since you didn't provide any information about the setup I decided to join having first made up my own interpretation of what it will be like, which I then did not read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Yeah I'll do a confessional.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I don't have a role PM yet but I used a dowsing rod to find my role.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

IcePhoenix posted:

THERE ARE AGENTS OF TERROR IN YOUR MIDST. NEW BIO-WEAPON IN TESTING. DO NOT TRUST ANYONE.

This seems like a really passive aggressive way to get back at someone for eating the lunch you brought to the office, jeez

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

onsetOutsider posted:

y'all know that softclaiming vanilla on day 1 is super suspicious right? looking at you tobbs and retro

I'm a copdoc with perma pgo

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
whose cryptic bullshit do you care about?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

onsetOutsider posted:

hi guys we're voting for solus

So I'm having a look here and why solus in particular aside from being the first person to scum claim? If anything it's a null tell on its own.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
All nighter + crashing and sleeping too much after sure feels bad but at least now I'm waking up in a decent hour for my time zone.

I don't think we really need to think about the flavor here but I do agree with Onset's vote on RF, in a game where we don't know how many hostiles there are, how they function, etc. We stand to lose a fair bit of ground and gain no information if we NL today, particularly in a game with just 11 players.

##vote RF

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Also wary of the remaining votes on Solus, that was not a good case and I'm kind of in awe that it got additional votes.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Hal Incandenza posted:

OH wow this game started, I never got a PM in my discord does this mean I am town? Am I even still alive? I have been gone for two days, catching up now, hope I am still a player...

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Retro Futurist posted:

I’m not trying to be rude but I literally don’t know how to explain it any better than I already have. It’s D1, it’s entirely speculation based on my thoughts and feelings.

Correct me if I'm wrong, your theory is that we should vote for nobody because this is a social experiment and not a real game of mafia, and we'll really win if we decide to just not play, more or less?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Retro Futurist posted:

I'm still quite confident scum we're voting me yesterday. I spoke about onset already so my attention is drawn to nep, dicky, and binus.

This is interesting. Note that nep doesn't call me scum at all, just votes me because they don't agree with my plan.

I find voting speaks loudly as to who I think is scum, and yeah that was a bad plan.

You ask what you would have to gain by pushing for that NL if you're scum and I'd say "not much" if you had also played the game to a degree. "Hey I'll toss out some reads but I think it's worth trying an NL" would have been much less fishy to me.

This is why I asked this question:

Nep-Nep posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, your theory is that we should vote for nobody because this is a social experiment and not a real game of mafia, and we'll really win if we decide to just not play, more or less?

Because unless you're scum or had some alternate wincon (which I'm guessing the latter can be ruled out) I still don't see how this is a town position. Even if you're just trying something it still would have made sense to at least engage with some of the posting, providing ideas as to who is and who is not scum.

Yesterday there's no way you could have predicted you wouldn't be hammered regardless of alignment, yet this is pretty much all you left us with:

Retro Futurist posted:

Also just a reminder for anyone town on this, being wrong doesn’t make you scum. I’m not privy to the setup here so I don’t know what’s going on, I could well be wrong, but I have a theory I’d like to test. Even if you disagree and think I’m mistaken, that doesn’t mean I’m scum for it

If you're town after the flip we could have looked at the votes and made some arguments based on that but we wouldn't have anything extra to go on on account of you, no reads. And the first sentence of the above post is strange. "Being wrong doesn't make you scum?" Everyone who is town knows they are town.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

onsetOutsider posted:

though im actually more sus of dicky for reasons im not sure i can put into words rn,

and flerp for being really really apatheic so far

I'm not sure about db but not big on them going with the "solus made a joke and should be voted out" idea.

Flerp's attitude feels really towny to me so far, he's just usually low effort with his posting, that's a null tell.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Retro Futurist posted:

This is binus' contribution and then his next post is saying we should no lynch. ##Vote binus

This I could see but I never know what to make of his early game. It seems lower effort than I'm used to though, I'm used to him making lots of ridiculous statements early just to gauge reactions.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Dick Bastardly posted:

using a vote you think is a joke to craft a narrative of scummy behavior for a player is not good look imo

It's not exactly the same thing but weren't you on solus for a good part of yesterday for their jokephase scumclaim?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
It seems like much of the discussion right now is setup spec that isn't going anywhere so I'm gonna put down my vote.

##vote DB

Jumped on the Solus vote early yesterday which I still don't like because the basis of the case was a comment made during jokephase

Dick Bastardly posted:

I still don't know for certain if that claim was a joke or not

This itself is a sensible defense but it doesn't seem like a solid foundation for a vote at all. Perhaps to add a bit of pressure to see how Solus' reacted but I don't feel like DB was actually trying to pull anything out of Solus at that point.

Dick Bastardly posted:

Yeah I don't think I agree with this, at least not the tone of how acceptable lying as town seems here.

There are situations were town gambits work, but this are so few and far between imo.

This has been a fairly quiet game in terms of postcount overall but it seems like most of DB's discussion of why to push on Solus comes down to a broader sense of theory about whether it's acceptable to lie as town. I just don't think voting for someone because they scumclaimed and you think they're telling the truth, that it would be important to you whether or not it's acceptable that they could be lying as town, but whether or not it's plausible.

Dick Bastardly posted:

One possible motive for scum to kill Tobbs was to reinforce the reverse psychology that because Tobbs flipped town, Sol's claim that they are scumbros with Tobbs and flerp must be false. Planning a gambit like that doesn't really make sense but I've seen plenty of nonsensical things happen in games of sa mafia.

I don't like to believe any theory is "too dumb" to be true, because I'm worried scum might try to do really dumb things and try to get away with them for fun because why not. At least that's something I feel like I might do as scum.

And this feels to me like DB is floating the idea of voting for Solus again, but the "who knows, scum might do anything" mentality doesn't feel sincere as backing for such a specific theory for the causes behind the night kills, especially since I don't feel like anybody has argued that point otherwise, either through implication or outright stating it.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Some other reads in short:

Onset: Seems to be trying fairly hard though unsure to what end. I'd say their posting seemed fishy mostly during d1 but I find myself thinking it's more due to being new.

b-minus: normally expect b-minus to be more involved, would vote but it's more of a gut read

flerp: said it before feel like flerp is town

rf: Could also still be scum, but with my suspicions on DB right now and DB having gotten on the RF vote early I'd rather vote DB and reevaluate

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Who do you think is scum? Your posting today gives me no sense of what you think about that.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
If onset were not new I'd have wanted to vote them out d1 but I remember in my first game of forums mafia I tunneled on a town player who was very obviously town just because I misinterpreted some information. If anything if their posting wasn't a bit off so far I think my gut would be telling me something was wrong, as if they were coached or were extremely self-conscious. What DB said pretty much sums up my take on Onset in that while their posting reads scummy looked at objectively but I just don't feel it.

I'll be around again closer to deadline, please let's not NL again.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
What if we... turbo votefinder

speaking of waking up I'm actually gonna go brew some coffee, just saying I am here for the moment

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I don't prefer moving my vote but I can if necessary

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTmHQWsNAMM

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
That's a heavy claim with very little time to consider it. Do we even have enough votes around to consider a change in the next 7 minutes?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Who's here say something

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Also Sal did you seriously pull this twice (unless you beat the buzzer)

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
##vote Sal

I don't want us to fail to talk about this today, you were around at deadline twice now and we've had two NLs. I'd like to know why.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

SalTheBard posted:

When I thought about who to protect RF seemed to me to be just as good as any especially because I felt he was town (and was one of my stronger town reads at the time)

but near end of d2 you posted this:

SalTheBard posted:

I guess I would be willing to vote RF too even though he's not one of my choices. I still think his idea for yesterday was weird.

I'll put a ##vote RF

I will be here for the next 45 minutes so I will change vote if necessary to prevent a no lynch

Did something happen day 2 to make you flip your claimed position, enough to put a vote on RF near end of day?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
##unvote

I actually don't think Sal's lack of hammering is in itself particularly worse than the others who didn't vote at all, but I came into this day with the idea that DB and Sal might have both been scum, but then DB put a vote down on Sal fairly quickly and Sal's defenses don't include one I was anticipating.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

onsetOutsider posted:

tbh, as much as i think sal is scum, i'm willing to ##vote asf for not playing

(for now)

This was followed by an unvote and then revoting Sal all in the span of two minutes or so. That indecisiveness is a big "what's going on" to me.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
It does seem important whether or not DB was specifically claiming Doc as their reason for voting Sal, since we now have onset also claiming doc. There could possibly be 3 doctors in this setup but that does seem like a lot.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Onset has 3 votes on now and suddenly seems very interested in clearing me even though there wasn't any heat on me. I don't get why claimed in this instance if your claim is true. Then DB claims to have the same target and you believe their doc claim instead of, from your perspective, the more obvious idea that they're scum trying to fit in with you?

##vote onset

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
DB who did you target last night?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
It was onset who claimed the hammer was accidental. While I did think I was putting him at -1, if I had seen the vote from DB I still would have hammered for the same reason I voted at all. Maybe it'd have given me some pause but I still would've done it.

Of the players remaining I feel like I'd be most okay with voting ASF or Sal.

ASF has been largely disengaged, didn't vote d2, and was among the votes on onset. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen a scum ASF sort of fade into the background like this either.

Sal I'd prefer not to vote but could see if we think one of the doctors is fakeclaiming. However, I'm still against this because I think, at this point, that DB AND Sal are not both scum, and if it's the case neither of them are, then it's better to have two doctors alive so if fail to catch scum today there's a chance we can get another shot from them blocking NKs.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
##vote ASF

Putting this down for the time being.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

b-minus1 posted:

Yay! A rare scum victory for me. Congrats nep-nep, we did it :getin:

We finally got to be on the scum side together! How refreshing.

There was a certain lack of energy in this game but I still had fun. The idea of a game where there are quite a few doctors was really interesting. I liked it IcePhoenix!

I think mainly what happened here is just that after 2 NLs in a game with 2 scum nks and such a low player count most of the town players, as ASF said were just kind of adrift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I believe it! I had an argument prepared that I hoped would save me but I thought there was a good chance I was going down.