Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

galagazombie posted:

But Signal Beam is like the standard SpAtk Bug move. That's like removing Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, and Ice Beam! I'm all for reigning in the moveset inflation of the past few gens (Restrict access to Surf and Earthquake for instance), but that leaves Special Bug types with nothing.

Signal Beam was some crap move they tossed in with Silver Wind (It was Volbeat and Dewgong's signature move back in Gen 3). It's only a consolation for non-Bug Buzz learners, and only Jolteon cared.

E: Beaten bad...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
It's a bad gen for people who like using eeveelutions, unfortunately. Already shallow movepools drying up.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I've said this before on Discord, but the Eeveelutions are all losing their individuality as unique Pokémon and are now just a part of a set. With Eevee's promotion to secondary mascot, they're being treated as badly as Raichu.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Now every eeveelution is flareon. :unsmigghh:

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
It's been a fun time with Eeveelutions in VGC at least. Jolteon, Espeon, Sylveon, and even the occasional Glaceon and Leafeon have had success in earlier seasons, and Umbreon is currently a great meta pick that matches up well against a load of the restricted mons in the format. Shame Flareon and Vaporeon never picked up much steam.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
yeah it kinda sucks that they made Eevee The Evolution Pokemon into a non-evolving starter friend when they had a perfectly good alternate ready to go

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Zuzie posted:

I've said this before on Discord, but the Eeveelutions are all losing their individuality as unique Pokémon and are now just a part of a set. With Eevee's promotion to secondary mascot, they're being treated as badly as Raichu.

Worse, arguably, as the Eeveelutions are among those hit especially hard by the Move Pruning of Gen 8, with Jolteon losing Hidden Power Ice and Umbreon losing Toxic.

I don't remember Raichu actively *losing* much that was important, it was just that Pikachu kept getting special stuff - some of which Raichu could in fact inherit early on, like Surf or Fly, or Volt Tackle.

Raichu is merely neglected. The Eeveelutions have actively been weakened in Gen 8.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I wanted to say something positive about TemTem, so I'll say that they almost got speed right, but it's still abstracted in a weird way that doesn't sound human. If you wanted to clean it up and add it to Pokemon, it would actually be super rad. Basically just classify every move as Quick, Normal, or Heavy, and have them apply a 1.5x, 1x, or .5x multiplier to your speed calculation for the turn. Solves a ton of problems, makes combat way more interesting, lets speedy pokemon still be speedy.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Plasbad posted:

At least it can learn Dazzling Gleam as of SwSh!

Good! Maybe now I can use my little Hamlet for more than just catching Pokémon. Dedenne is seriously a great Pokémon to just keep in your party. Nuzzle is useful for catching and Pickup gets you items.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/Kaiijumon_/status/1366544125227659264

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Too bad Porygon got put in a cellar never to be let out over in Japan. Maybe an alternate form would be distant enough for it to not ruffle any feathers? It did get some evolutions, after all.

Also, Porygami-Z:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzMckO32isU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

No one cares about chibi Lucas :smith:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

No one's ever cared about Lucas he has a dumb hat and dresses lame

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Yeah, it's hard to care about Lucas when his entire aesthetic is "a dork"

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Are there any male trainers besides Red that aren't dorks?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Zuzie posted:

Gary Motherfuckin' Oak

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nate looks like a bro

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Is everyone going to be chibified or just the player character? If it's just the player it's going to be really jarring if you're the only one standing there like a funkopop as illustrated in exhibit A:

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1365391376263745538

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Rudoku posted:

Signal Beam was some crap move they tossed in with Silver Wind (It was Volbeat and Dewgong's signature move back in Gen 3). It's only a consolation for non-Bug Buzz learners, and only Jolteon cared.

E: Beaten bad...

Dewgong is a cool Pokemon and I hope it gets some redemption in whatever Gen 9 will be.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Boogle posted:

Is everyone going to be chibified or just the player character? If it's just the player it's going to be really jarring if you're the only one standing there like a funkopop as illustrated in exhibit A:

Everyone is Chibified in the Overworld, and everyone is normal-sized in Battles.

Just like in Gen 4 graphics.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Boogle posted:

Everyone is chibified when out of battle, it’s basically just an upscaled version of the DS game

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Zuzie posted:

They're all playing Pokemon so no.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zuzie posted:

Zuzie...I hate to tell you this...but we've all been the real dorks all along. It's the nature of the beast y'see.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ethan wears shorts because they're comfy and easy to wear, he's cool.

Platinum Lucas is also okay.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Brendan’s actually got a pretty great fit with or without white hair.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Zuzie posted:

Wes and Silver are high on edge, low on Dork

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Most boys are ok to good. The only issue is that all girls are great to excellent.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Ethan wears a backwards cap, which is of course Very Cool

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

MorningMoon posted:

Most boys are ok to good. The only issue is that all girls are great to excellent.

Lyra is the Exception, what a trashfire of a design

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Wrongo

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The designs peaked with Leaf.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What kind of insane deranged individual would take Lyra over Kris.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Truth

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

MorningMoon posted:

The harshest truth of them all.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Hilda is my fav tho, but true.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I don't really care about the default player designs too much anymore since customization became a thing, though girl clothing options are still better.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Remove the genderlock on clothing, cowards.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Remove the genderlock on clothing, cowards.

Lol if you think Gamefreak didn't cut clothing in the next game, Please understand.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Could be bullshit but I had heard that Clothing was meant to be x/y's "unique feature" but it was too popular so they had to add it to SUMO and so on. So I don't think it's going anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Clothes are much like catching pokemon, if I don't start the game with it I don't want it