Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Man I don't trust anything after they cut follow pokemon and the pokenav, both universally loved and cut without a second thought by the cruel master Masuda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Nth Doctor posted:

Facebook Memories tells me that today is the 5th anniversary of completing my dex for the first time. I really need to play Crown Tundra to finish off the ones I'm missing: both new regis and ice horse.

I also have work to do on the Galarian forms of Slowbro/Slowking and the legendary birds.

IceHorse and accidentally Articuno Get.

Feels good. I just wish I had premier balls when I blundered into the bird on my way to the Crown Shrine. Oh well, I still need to catch it in Shield still so I can remedy that.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Game Freak tends to view most of their extra features in each game as one-off experiments that are dumped to make room for other ones in the next game. Its only when it becomes a quality of life essential to the Pokémon experience does it become a mainstay.

Although that being said, it would be great if Pokemon could follow you in the overworld in BDSP and not just in that Amity Square that only allowed like 10 random Pokemon.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zuzie posted:

Game Freak tends to view most of their extra features in each game as one-off experiments that are dumped to make room for other ones in the next game. Its only when it becomes a quality of life essential to the Pokémon experience does it become a mainstay.

Although that being said, it would be great if Pokemon could follow you in the overworld in BDSP and not just in that Amity Square that only allowed like 10 random Pokemon.

Gamefreak needs to let us hug our pokemon like loving yesterday.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

After finally getting into Sword, I'm incredibly happy with how cute I've been able to make my trainer, and am beginning to see why the Diamond and Pearl remakes are going to be a real step down.

Gaius Marius posted:

Man I don't trust anything after they cut follow pokemon and the pokenav, both universally loved and cut without a second thought by the cruel master Masuda
It still surprises me they haven't brought back following pokemon given it's popularity.

I remember B2/W2 having a thing that made it easier to tell how many different kinds of pokemon were on a route or something, was that just a feature of the dex? I remember it being handy for hunting down those low encounter rate mons without directly looking up the tables on bulbapedia or whatever. Is that a feature that's existed in games after? I noticed Sword has a recommended catches based on stuff you've missed, but it also doesn't like, update to be relevant to where you are.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Could be bullshit but I had heard that Clothing was meant to be x/y's "unique feature" but it was too popular so they had to add it to SUMO and so on. So I don't think it's going anywhere.

SUMO had two good outfits and they were both post-game rewards

Everything else was so half-assed its a wonder they ever bothered to put it in

"Oh, you want to wear actual shorts as a boy? Screw you, capris are all you're getting."

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I really hope the successor to Pokemon Camp isn't as abusable. I'm not a fan of the 'if you hug and play with your Pokemon enough, they can do all kinds of broken things in battle!'.

I want to cook curry and things without the result being that my Pokemon are gonna bounce every time I send them out.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Are people using "following Pokemon" to mean something different than what Let's Go had for all of its Pokemon and Sw/Sh had for all Pokemon in the DLC zones?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Chances are clothing is sticking around since it stuck around for 3 generations already.

That being said I wouldn't expect it to be in BDSP since ORAS didn't have it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Shiroc posted:

Are people using "following Pokemon" to mean something different than what Let's Go had for all of its Pokemon and Sw/Sh had for all Pokemon in the DLC zones?

They usually mean things like Pikachu in Yellow or your lead Pokemon in HGSS following you around and reacting to things.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Vinylshadow posted:

SUMO had two good outfits and they were both post-game rewards

Everything else was so half-assed its a wonder they ever bothered to put it in

"Oh, you want to wear actual shorts as a boy? Screw you, capris are all you're getting."

500 different customisable clothing items!*

* 5 actually different** clothing items in each of 10 categories, each with 10 colour variations

** Not very different

Give us colour sliders Game Freak, you cowards, you weaklings

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Flopsy posted:

:yeah:

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Pretty big gently caress you in SwSh to have all "official" battles use the really lame uniform, at least we should be able to somewhat customize that. And once we're champion? We should be able to roll onto the field in whatever we want since Leon got to wear that cape and everything.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Post-game should've been questing for sponsorships

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Gaius Marius posted:

Those are the two best features, Pokenav was such a quality of life improvement and follow Pokémon added so much personality and life to the setting. Get it together Gamefreak, GET IT TOGETHER!

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The simplified look of the DPPt remakes gives me some hope that they'll bring back follow pokemon, but they'd probably have already shown that if they planned to include it.

The last time we had follow Pokémon before Sword and Shield was Gen IV, after all.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Scholtz posted:

Im sure youre joking but i would actually like them to build the world out more, itd be cool to see what companies exist outside of silph co in the games.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Scholtz posted:

I'm really glad the sponsorship look was only for Leon, I hated it from the trailers and was praying that we wouldn't have anything to do with it

Instead I get to be a stone-cold fashionista champion and it owns

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Scholtz posted:

The simplified look of the DPPt remakes gives me some hope that they'll bring back follow pokemon, but they'd probably have already shown that if they planned to include it.

The last time we had follow Pokémon before Sword and Shield was Gen IV, after all.
If anything I think it makes it less likely.
Since the artstyle in-battle is different to the artstyle out of battle they can’t really just use the same Pokemon models that are already in the game for the battles and scale them down, they’d have to make and animate a separate overworld model for the 200 odd Pokemon in the game.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Could be bullshit but I had heard that Clothing was meant to be x/y's "unique feature" but it was too popular so they had to add it to SUMO and so on. So I don't think it's going anywhere.

That was just their lame excuse not to include customization in ORAS.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Electric Phantasm posted:

That was just their lame excuse not to include customization in ORAS.

They gave character customization to Cosplay Pikachu instead. And any trainer worth their salt just used Lucha-Chu.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nth Doctor posted:

They gave character customization to Cosplay Pikachu instead. And any trainer worth their salt just used Lucha-Chu.

To the point that the rest have been completely forgotten, while that one got to appear in Pokken and Smash.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Flopsy posted:

I keep coming back to this because holy poo poo why aren't your animators working on this right now game freak

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Blaze Dragon posted:

To the point that the rest have been completely forgotten, while that one got to appear in Pokken and Smash.

Justice for Rock Star and Science dork Pikachu

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's kinda strange how they're not even in Pokemon Go. Go introduced Pikachu Libre like a year ago, and this year Pokemon's doing all those virtual concerts, yet not a single hint of Rock Star Pikachu. It's not like Pokemon Go to leave potential pikachus on the table
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pikachu_variants#Pok.C3.A9mon_GO
(this list doesn't even have christmas sweater pikachu, lucario hat pikachu, rayquaza hat pikachu, surfing pikachu, and mimikyu costume pikachu)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lmao loving sleepwalked through 99% of Pokemon Sword only for Leon's Dragapult to suddenly wipe my entire team.
Difficulty in Pokemon games is so fuckin weird

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Augus posted:

lmao loving sleepwalked through 99% of Pokemon Sword only for Leon's Dragapult to suddenly wipe my entire team.
Difficulty in Pokemon games is so fuckin weird

That is why pokemon rules, yeah.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i wish the chibi game looked like the chibi fanart

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

15,128 people voted for Barbaracle? Fake news.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Shneak posted:

15,128 people voted for Barbaracle? Fake news.

Creepy HandEye Shell Smasher #1A+

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I do not care for Grapploct. Why will they not stay in these ultra balls? Why do they instead decide to die to hail? How dare they be resistant to the one catchrate enhancing status I have on me.

How is an octopus you find literally in the water not part water type?!

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

I do not care for Grapploct. Why will they not stay in these ultra balls? Why do they instead decide to die to hail? How dare they be resistant to the one catchrate enhancing status I have on me.

Use a Quick Ball, it at least matches its coloring.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zuzie posted:

Use a Quick Ball, it at least matches its coloring.
Apparently I'm not allowed to buy those till after 8 badges? (Unless I want to use Watts, I think.)

Sorta on that note, what's a good 'mon for assisting catches in Sword? Like something with false swipe + sleep or something?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Surely the DP remakes will give us the rest of the Pokemon that are still locked out...right? I just want to play with my boy Serperior.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kirios posted:

Surely the DP remakes will give us the rest of the Pokemon that are still locked out...right? I just want to play with my boy Serperior.

Sorry but to remain faithful to the originals anything past gen 4 doesn't exist and fairy type will be removed.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Right now i'm thinking that Sword and Shield will get some sorta Sinnoh Update around BDSP's release that adds to the dynamax raid pool and the available pokemon

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

Why is malamar not a water type?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

Sorry but to remain faithful to the originals anything past gen 4 doesn't exist and fairy type will be removed.

They're also adding the modern conveniences of later Pokemon games... Which probably amounts to the game not being as hard as you remember or something.

(it's probably just QoL poo poo introduced in later games like Bottle Caps, Ability Capsules Mints etc.)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

If cynthia’s garchomp doesnt bully 10-year olds it will officially be a Bad Remake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Making every aquatic animal a water-type sucks and I support Malamar and Grapploct