Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWgtqnCMAUg

posted in the discord. a recording of Pokemon Unite

might get taken down, it's got a "do not share this" notice in the bottom left, so whoever uploaded this was presumably breaking an nda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Procrastine posted:

Making every aquatic animal a water-type sucks and I support Malamar and Grapploct

Exactly. Let there be some undersea variety.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
Isn't Malamar's whole thing being a subversive squid, I don't think you can even catch it in water in XY.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Polderjoch posted:

Isn't Malamar's whole thing being a subversive squid, I don't think you can even catch it in water in XY.

You couldn't catch it in water but in virtually all its appearances they're found near water.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Procrastine posted:

Making every aquatic animal a water-type sucks and I support Malamar and Grapploct

Recently learning that Grapploct is an octopus that is also Antonio Inoki is very good. I support the Antoctopus Inoki not having water typing.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Can we appreciate how diverse fighting type Pokemon are in terms of designs?

We've got humanoids, but there are also monkeys, bears, dogs, weasels, birds, crabs, octopus and whatever Falinks is supposed to be.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Zuzie posted:

whatever Falinks is supposed to be.

Kirby npc.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zuzie posted:

Can we appreciate how diverse fighting type Pokemon are in terms of designs?

We've got humanoids, but there are also monkeys, bears, dogs, weasels, birds, crabs, octopus and whatever Falinks is supposed to be.

If I must confess what I'm missing is I want more creepy humanoid pokemon. In that respect feel deprived.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

How does maxing work in raid battles? One at a time? Only one per battle for the whole team?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Oxyclean posted:

How does maxing work in raid battles? One at a time? Only one per battle for the whole team?

One per battle for the whole team, it starts with the person in slot 1 and if they don't use it on the first turn it moves down the line.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Oxyclean posted:

Apparently I'm not allowed to buy those till after 8 badges? (Unless I want to use Watts, I think.)

Sorta on that note, what's a good 'mon for assisting catches in Sword? Like something with false swipe + sleep or something?

Gallade is your best bet.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Hammerite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWgtqnCMAUg

posted in the discord. a recording of Pokemon Unite

might get taken down, it's got a "do not share this" notice in the bottom left, so whoever uploaded this was presumably breaking an nda

Oh yeah this is huge NDA break stuff, but whatevs. My unexperienced eye only sees some big ol' League of Legends happening there. Like 2 really bad animations (hopping to another point in the map and one particular knockback animation), but otherwise... it just looks like LoL, which I'll never be excited for, so eh.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

wuggles posted:

poke-FIFA has rules against dosing

e: "except not," I say, buying an herb that changes my Pokemon's personality

They do specify that it doesn't actually change the nature, just the effect on stats from the nature.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Apparently I'm not allowed to buy those till after 8 badges? (Unless I want to use Watts, I think.)

Sorta on that note, what's a good 'mon for assisting catches in Sword? Like something with false swipe + sleep or something?

This article sold me on Gallade way back when, to expand on Vandar's post.

https://www.polygon.com/pokemon-sword-shield-guide/2019/11/21/20974232/how-to-catch-pokemon-easily-false-swipe-gallade-hypnosis

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, ended up googling that.... and promptly accidentally KO'd the Gallade in the wild area. The weather isn't right for Ralts either, so I guess I'm waiting for tomorrow.

E: Yooo, Marnie gets a remix for her theme for the semi-finals?!

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 4, 2021

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
https://twitter.com/marreeps_/status/1366479756863172611

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

It'd be nice if BDSP at least lets you change to the platinum outfit before you get to the snow routes.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, ended up googling that.... and promptly accidentally KO'd the Gallade in the wild area. The weather isn't right for Ralts either, so I guess I'm waiting for tomorrow.

E: Yooo, Marnie gets a remix for her theme for the semi-finals?!

Hop also gets a remix. It's pretty rad.

I'm fairly ambivalent on SwSh (I have it middle of the pack because I'm aware that some of my hangups with it are due to me just being too old for the series) but the music is a notable high for it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Augus posted:

If cynthia’s garchomp doesnt bully 10-year olds it will officially be a Bad Remake

Mega Garchomp comin

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Has anyone been playing Pokemon Xenoverse? I just beat the first gym and I'm pretty shocked at how good it is already for a fangame. Good production values too.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm fairly ambivalent on SwSh (I have it middle of the pack because I'm aware that some of my hangups with it are due to me just being too old for the series) but the music is a notable high for it.

I just hit credits, and overall it feels kind of forgettable? (The game, not the music) - like, it feels like very little happens throughout the game, there's so few distractions during the gym challenge it almost feels weird. Then, there's the business with Macro Cosmos, which almost feels confusing and out of nowhere until like, the actual twist, which leads to a pretty sick finale?

The Semi Finals being your rivals, and the Finals being Gym Leader refights, and the whole tournament presentation is cool though - as much as I don't care for dynamaxing, it does work really well for ending gym battles on a high note with the way they also have like an extra layer to the music?

Also, how's the DLCs?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think people are decently high on the DLCs, Tundra more than Armor. They're not 'save the game' good, but solid.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

I just hit credits, and overall it feels kind of forgettable? (The game, not the music) - like, it feels like very little happens throughout the game, there's so few distractions during the gym challenge it almost feels weird. Then, there's the business with Macro Cosmos, which almost feels confusing and out of nowhere until like, the actual twist, which leads to a pretty sick finale?

The Semi Finals being your rivals, and the Finals being Gym Leader refights, and the whole tournament presentation is cool though - as much as I don't care for dynamaxing, it does work really well for ending gym battles on a high note with the way they also have like an extra layer to the music?

Also, how's the DLCs?

Crown Tundra is, imo, one of the high points of the franchise. It's real good if you like legendary hunting, and Dynamax Adventures are one of my favorite things added to the series.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Has anyone been playing Pokemon Xenoverse? I just beat the first gym and I'm pretty shocked at how good it is already for a fangame. Good production values too.

It's a lot of fun, with some neat fun twists here and there

Absolutely solid fangame

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
The DLCs are primarily two new wild areas, with new spots to loot and catch Pokémon in that the concept entails. Crown Tundra is definitely the stronger of the two, and its legendary hunts and Dynamax Adventures add some real meat to the experience. Overall as a package, they strike me as oddly insubstantial and incomplete for paid DLC regions. Something about the plots and main story campaigns for them feels like a flimsily-justified filler episode, even by Pokémon standards.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Mizuti posted:

The DLCs are primarily two new wild areas, with new spots to loot and catch Pokémon in that the concept entails. Crown Tundra is definitely the stronger of the two, and its legendary hunts and Dynamax Adventures add some real meat to the experience. Overall as a package, they strike me as oddly insubstantial and incomplete for paid DLC regions. Something about the plots and main story campaigns for them feels like a flimsily-justified filler episode, even by Pokémon standards.

That's because the stakes for example in ORAS were much MUCH higher and there was a sense of urgency in them.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
You don't necessarily need urgency or high stakes for a fun campaign, but have a point, at least. The DLCs waste most of their very limited runtime on enthralling story content such as chasing Slowpokes that stole dojo uniforms, spending 20 minutes to solve an obvious riddle about what a bear's favorite food is, having long discussions about planting carrots while pointedly avoiding mentioning the name of certain horses, and other meaningless filler.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Flopsy posted:

That's because the stakes for example in ORAS were much MUCH higher and there was a sense of urgency in them.

On the other hand, I cared absolutely zero about Zinnia in ORAS. Peony seems cool.

I think the writer of Pokemon Adventures also really did not like her if I remember right.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

On the other hand, I cared absolutely zero about Zinnia in ORAS. Peony seems cool.

I think the writer of Pokemon Adventures also really did not like her if I remember right.

She ends up eating a Hyper Beam to the face from Rayquaza and ending up wheelchair-bound for the rest of her appearances, IIRC. Yeah, I would assume he's not fond of her.

I like 'er though. :colbert:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Eh, she was a vehicle to see and interact with more of the main cast of the games so I was fine with it. Not to mention you get a glorious battle with Deoxys that makes catching it feel like a real accomplishment rather than something you pick up at a pokemart.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

ApplesandOranges posted:

Peony is cool and I'm sad that his appearance was essentially "YEAH LET'S GO ON AN ADVENTURE by which i mean YOU will go on an adventure and I will be the Adventure Captain from this couch", I wanted to hang out with him more.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sort of a shame you never actually get to fight his daughter as far as I’m aware (at most she occasionally joins you during Dynamax Raids)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Pokemoba works in Bluestacks and is extremely loving fun

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Mizuti posted:

You don't necessarily need urgency or high stakes for a fun campaign, but have a point, at least. The DLCs waste most of their very limited runtime on enthralling story content such as chasing Slowpokes that stole dojo uniforms, spending 20 minutes to solve an obvious riddle about what a bear's favorite food is, having long discussions about planting carrots while pointedly avoiding mentioning the name of certain horses, and other meaningless filler.

The main issue regarding the stories of the DLC is that they're supposed to (mostly) be self-contained since Game Freak figured that it wouldn't be fair to people who don't buy the DLC to have a continuation of the base game's story only accessible through said DLC.

The stories are also kinda crap since it reflects the kind of story the base game had as well :v:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ApplesandOranges posted:

Any excuse to post this

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

chairman rose is a spectacularly bad villain and the pacing of sword and shield's finale is really awkward thanks to having the tournament be interrupted twice, with the first interruption turning out to be over something completely frivolous.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I remember seeing the font of the title and thinking "wow that looks awful" but that's all.
Watching gameplay now and what immediately catches my attention is that the battles are Gen V-style, in that they use animated sprites and move along at an actually reasonable pace. So that's already scoring big points in my book.

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 4, 2021

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

The prince brothers in swsh's postgame are a much better pair of villains. I generally liked the postgame much more than the main plot of swsh.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Augus posted:

chairman rose is a spectacularly bad villain and the pacing of sword and shield's finale is really awkward thanks to having the tournament be interrupted twice, with the first interruption turning out to be over something completely frivolous.

It feels kind of like a last minute "oh shoot, we need to foreshadow things a bit more" But I really can't get over the tone/writing of the first interruption. It seems so weird and halfway between "we are the villains" and "ha ha silly fun times"?

Something that got me wondering: Olena's pokemon team seems very much themed around "beauty" but ends on Garbador.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Oxyclean posted:

Also, how's the DLCs?

other people strongly disagree, but i think both of the DLCs are almost totally worthless. Isle of Armor is a cool area with nothing to do in it, and Crown Tundra introduced a new way to make yourself completely owned by trolls or (understandably) clueless children. neither of them improves on the complaints around pointless stories, badly-written characters, and terrible pacing, and ultimately they only introduce... what, 8 or 9 new pokemon between them?

Really the ONLY reason to get them, in my mind, is to get the new legendaries--the Galarian birds are sick. The only non-legendary 'mons added are the two slowpoke evos, so if you've got a stocked Home you can get everything in the base game and you can probably even get the legendaries through the GTS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

Oh yeah this is huge NDA break stuff, but whatevs. My unexperienced eye only sees some big ol' League of Legends happening there. Like 2 really bad animations (hopping to another point in the map and one particular knockback animation), but otherwise... it just looks like LoL, which I'll never be excited for, so eh.

I've played so far up to trainer level 11, which has been about 1 1/2-2 hours of time and it doesn't feel very League-y. It feels kinda like Brawl Stars in how the Pokemon handle with a more basketball type gameplay. Wayyyyyyy more streamlined than LoL too, even moreso than HotS could be compared. Its certainly worth the try.
Biggest issues so far have been some input challenges (like hitting the misc mobs vs another player) and teammates not doing great with reacting to comms. I think these will be streamlined and figured out with some time, especially with it being on Switch as well as mobile.

As of the beta, there are 3 listed maps and 3 modes. Regular, Ranked and Quick Battle, which is like League's ARAM mode -- one lane, 3v3 and 5 mins. Not sure when that unlocks but the one match the tutorial let me do was super fun. Most of the Pokemon feel different and I'm starting to find different times where I chose different attacks for various Pokemon.