Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

right, pokemon does not iterate like a video game should, theoretically becoming a better designed game in every installment. it iterates like a toy company that releases the same GI Joes over and over but now they have a bazooka, and now they really sweat, and now they talk when you press the back, and now they transform into vehicles. which is dumb because i dont think any children are influencing a purchasing decision because they go fuckin ape when they learn that the pokemon get very large this time, but whatever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

It irks me that they do come up with the rationale of wanting people to use the new mons, when over half of them exist just to give NPCs some variety in what they use.

I mean, is anybody, child or otherwise, actually running Klefki in their teams? Ever?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

the_steve posted:

It irks me that they do come up with the rationale of wanting people to use the new mons, when over half of them exist just to give NPCs some variety in what they use.

I mean, is anybody, child or otherwise, actually running Klefki in their teams? Ever?

I’m number one Klefki fan

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Klefki was a big deal. I feel like in Gen VI it was a common fixture in your average meta team. Little guy was real good

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Splash Attack posted:

it is kind of annoying with how gimmicky megas, z moves, and dynamax have been.

I don't think Mega Evolutions are particularly gimmicky at all. I mean, yeah, in some ways some of them are, like Rayquaza getting one is gimmicky because it doesn't need one, but overall it was a fantastic way to power up older Pokemon without completely changing their stats and ability pool, like Beedrill. They seem to be adhering pretty strictly to the "Pokemon can only evolve twice and that's it" rule, so it was really the only way to make Pokemon like that viable. Plus, as people have said before, it adds a level of strategy, since a Mega Stone takes up the held item slot and prevents the Pokemon from using a Choice item or Life Orb or berry. And since you can only Mega Evolve one Pokemon per battle, it forces you to choose which one you want to prioritize on your team, or even play mind games with the opponent and have two Pokemon on your team with mega stones, make them guess which one you're going to pick and potentially mess up their whole strategy if they guess wrong.

It just hurts that a lot of Pokemon that became cool and viable again are now tossed back into the trash because they didn't get a true rework on their stats and mechanics. That's why I feel Mega Evolutions aren't that gimmicky. They gave older Pokemon, underused Pokemon new life. Z Moves don't do that. Dynamax doesn't do that. Those are gimmicky poo poo because they aren't suddenly making Kangaskhan usable in competitive battling again like its Mega did.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

the_steve posted:

I did in X, but I barely actually used it because you don't get it until the sixth gym, and it kept getting overlevelled from the experience share. I guess it must have been the only fast leveller on the team.

I remember it being pretty serviceable when I actually used it.

Shwoo fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 29, 2021

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Saagonsa posted:

Well the people saying how easy it would be for a modder to do it were pretty dumb, then? I tried googling it but all I could find was an article about a single guy adding omastar with a mod as a test, where in a quote they descibe it as "hard but doable".

So which is it? Hard or easy? Why was stuff like this used to say GF was lying when they said it was becoming too difficult?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

I don't think Mega Evolutions are particularly gimmicky at all. I mean, yeah, in some ways some of them are, like Rayquaza getting one is gimmicky because it doesn't need one, but overall it was a fantastic way to power up older Pokemon without completely changing their stats and ability pool, like Beedrill. They seem to be adhering pretty strictly to the "Pokemon can only evolve twice and that's it" rule, so it was really the only way to make Pokemon like that viable. Plus, as people have said before, it adds a level of strategy, since a Mega Stone takes up the held item slot and prevents the Pokemon from using a Choice item or Life Orb or berry. And since you can only Mega Evolve one Pokemon per battle, it forces you to choose which one you want to prioritize on your team, or even play mind games with the opponent and have two Pokemon on your team with mega stones, make them guess which one you're going to pick and potentially mess up their whole strategy if they guess wrong.

It just hurts that a lot of Pokemon that became cool and viable again are now tossed back into the trash because they didn't get a true rework on their stats and mechanics. That's why I feel Mega Evolutions aren't that gimmicky. They gave older Pokemon, underused Pokemon new life. Z Moves don't do that. Dynamax doesn't do that. Those are gimmicky poo poo because they aren't suddenly making Kangaskhan usable in competitive battling again like its Mega did.

It makes me sad that Mawile is doomed to always be bad now.

Just give it an evo with the stats of its mega but keep its normal abilities. Do this gamefreak and all of your sins shall be forgiven.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

So which is it? Hard or easy? Why was stuff like this used to say GF was lying when they said it was becoming too difficult?

Neither I nor the vice article I found said it was easy. I don't know who was making that argument to you, but they were dumb. It would be quite a difficult thing for a lone modder to achive.

That being said, I don't know what this has to go with gamefreak.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

How is hacking a game at all comparable to an actual game dev adding features or content? Like I don't think a game being easy or hard to hack has any real bearing on how much effort it would take for a dev to add poo poo. I don't think some random articles you read 2 years ago about the ease with which to add your favourite legendary provides any info about how difficult it is for gamefreak to do something regardless of whether the article is accurate or not.

Who cares if some people on the internet used dumb evidence in their argument for why GF didn't put in any effort or whatever. Nobody's talking about that in this thread.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

It can be difficult for someone to do something that is easier for multiple people to do, especially when that single person isn't a member of the team who created the game.

While I'm not going to say how easy or hard it is to mod Sword and Shield, since I have no idea, it seems fairly obvious that it would be much more difficult for a random person who isn't working at Gamefreak to take the model for Omastar from Sun/Moon and put it into the game than it would be for someone who works at the company and programmed the game to do.

Saagonsa posted:

Just give it an evo with the stats of its mega but keep its normal abilities. Do this gamefreak and all of your sins shall be forgiven.

Sadly given Pokemon's "only two evolutions and that's it" stance, Beedrill can't even get this and is doomed to eternally be bad again no matter what. :negative:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Regional forms are the replacement for Megas so Beedrill could get one of those in Gen IX!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

How is hacking a game at all comparable to an actual game dev adding features or content? Like I don't think a game being easy or hard to hack has any real bearing on how much effort it would take for a dev to add poo poo. I don't think some random articles you read 2 years ago about the ease with which to add your favourite legendary provides any info about how difficult it is for gamefreak to do something regardless of whether the article is accurate or not.

Who cares if some people on the internet used dumb evidence in their argument for why GF didn't put in any effort or whatever. Nobody's talking about that in this thread.

This thread has called the fact Pokemon are missing “stupid and arbitrary.” This was the only thing I could find that would conceivably “prove” that argument. If there’s something else I’m missing that proves GF was full of poo poo at the time that isn’t arm chair deving or falling back on “lazy dev” rhetoric I’d like to see it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Regional forms are the replacement for Megas so Beedrill could get one of those in Gen IX!

A regional form Beedrill exactly like its Mega...only now I can give it a choice item or Life Orb. :getin:

Nodosaur posted:

This thread has called the fact Pokemon are missing “stupid and arbitrary.” This was the only thing I could find that would conceivably “prove” that argument. If there’s something else I’m missing that proves GF was full of poo poo at the time that isn’t arm chair deving or falling back on “lazy dev” rhetoric I’d like to see it.

I would say the DLC that came out less than one year after Sw/Sh's release that added in 200 Pokemon that were not in the base game proves that it is pretty easy for them to do. If it were difficult, it's unlikely the DLC could have been released so quickly after the original game, especially considering that they also had to design new areas, NPCs, and plot for the DLC, that would mean that adding the Pokemon was almost certainly the fastest and easiest part of the DLC.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they put all the pokemon on the 3ds which is basically a dumb microwave

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The DLCs were a lot smaller and more scoped experiences, which they probably shifted most of the team over to as soon as the main game went gold. Some of the stuff in them could have been half implemented things originally intended for the main game that got dropped.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Twelve by Pies posted:

A regional form Beedrill exactly like its Mega...only now I can give it a choice item or Life Orb. :getin:

I would say the DLC that came out less than one year after Sw/Sh's release that added in 200 Pokemon that were not in the base game proves that it is pretty easy for them to do. If it were difficult, it's unlikely the DLC could have been released so quickly after the original game, especially considering that they also had to design new areas, NPCs, and plot for the DLC, that would mean that adding the Pokemon was almost certainly the fastest and easiest part of the DLC.

The DLC was developed concurrently with SwSh with a different team, from what I recall. May be wrong. Regardless, they didn’t start working once SwSh was finished up til the DLC’s release.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Saagonsa posted:

I feel like this is what we have regional variants for now. An excuse to make a previously sucky pokemon not suck but not have to bring a particular gimmick back. It's loving laughable though that they keep using megas in the anime but make them inaccessible in the games. Like way to show off a feature you're never going to let us use Gamefreak really appreciate that.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Twelve by Pies posted:

i mean i do agree with you on that megas do have a lot of depth and value - i should clarify that i consider it a gimmick because they focused on it for one generation and then moved on, instead of sticking with it. i remember the reason being that they didn’t want to come up with new forms for different pokémon but gigantamax exists so lol

can you even mega evolve in swsh?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Splash Attack posted:

i mean i do agree with you on that megas do have a lot of depth and value - i should clarify that i consider it a gimmick because they focused on it for one generation and then moved on, instead of sticking with it. i remember the reason being that they didn’t want to come up with new forms for different pokémon but gigantamax exists so lol

can you even mega evolve in swsh?

Mega Evolving is not possible in Sword/Shield. However, Mega Evolving was at least still possible in Sun/Moon and US/UM, despite there being no new Megas and the Gimmick Focus being on Z-Moves.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

the_steve posted:

It's a steel/fairy type with Prankster. Yes. It's good.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's a steel/fairy type with Prankster. Yes. It's good.

Alright, so apparently I picked a bad example, but I stand by my original point that there are at least some Pokemon that nobody wants that only serve as filler for npc trainers to use.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Shiroc posted:

The DLCs were a lot smaller and more scoped experiences, which they probably shifted most of the team over to as soon as the main game went gold. Some of the stuff in them could have been half implemented things originally intended for the main game that got dropped.

Yeah, that's probably true, but I still maintain that dropping in Pokemon models they didn't have in the base game was absolutely the easiest part of the DLC. Since like, it's content that was already done.

the_steve posted:

Alright, so apparently I picked a bad example, but I stand by my original point that there are at least some Pokemon that nobody wants that only serve as filler for npc trainers to use.

Ah so you're thinking of the elemental monkeys.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Flopsy posted:

I feel like this is what we have regional variants for now. An excuse to make a previously sucky pokemon not suck but not have to bring a particular gimmick back. It's loving laughable though that they keep using megas in the anime but make them inaccessible in the games. Like way to show off a feature you're never going to let us use Gamefreak really appreciate that.

The issue with regional variants is that they all share base stat totals with the original pokemon. So something that has a decent base stat total but kinda lovely distribution, typing, ability, and/or move pool can greatly benefit from a regional variant. However, something like Mawile with a total base stat amount of 380 (or beedrill with 395) isn't really able to benefit from it that much. Especially something like Mawile, which already has an incredibly good typing, good choice of abilities, and decent enough move pool, so none of those changes would help much at all.

I am very salty about this, and forever will be.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah, that's probably true, but I still maintain that dropping in Pokemon models they didn't have in the base game was absolutely the easiest part of the DLC. Since like, it's content that was already done.

Even the elemental monkeys have someone who loves them, no pokemon goes truly unloved.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Saagonsa posted:

The issue with regional variants is that they all share base stat totals with the original pokemon. So something that has a decent base stat total but kinda lovely distribution, typing, ability, and/or move pool can greatly benefit from a regional variant. However, something like Mawile with a total base stat amount of 380 (or beedrill with 395) isn't really able to benefit from it that much. Especially something like Mawile, which already has an incredibly good typing, good choice of abilities, and decent enough move pool, so none of those changes would help much at all.

poo poo--I meant regional evolutions. I'm so used to saying variants my brain replaced the word. I too share your mawile sorrow btw.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Saagonsa posted:

I feel like that's why they sometimes make regional variants with new evolutions, like Galarian Corsola to Cursola. That way you can have your new style but also have a stronger version of it too.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

the_steve posted:

No you're dumb.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Flopsy posted:

poo poo--I meant regional evolutions. I'm so used to saying variants my brain replaced the word. I too share your mawile sorrow btw.

Oh, yeah, regional evolutions have potential to be neat, that's true.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

While I feel like Game Freak isn't going to revisit Mega Evolution as a game mechanic in a mainstream Pokemon title, it would be kind of interesting if there were Mega forms that only regional forms could access. Would Galarian Slowbro be able to use a Slowbronite if both appeared in the same game? My guess is that it probably wouldn't...

Mawile and Sableye getting regional forms that evolve into new species is also possible, but the big caveat is that they won't be Steel/Fairy or Dark/Ghost but be something else.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Is there such thing as 'shiny fishing'/chain-fishing in BDSP? I think it was a thing in the early games.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zuzie posted:

While I feel like Game Freak isn't going to revisit Mega Evolution as a game mechanic in a mainstream Pokemon title, it would be kind of interesting if there were Mega forms that only regional forms could access. Would Galarian Slowbro be able to use a Slowbronite if both appeared in the same game? My guess is that it probably wouldn't...

Mawile and Sableye getting regional forms that evolve into new species is also possible, but the big caveat is that they won't be Steel/Fairy or Dark/Ghost but be something else.

Hrrggghgh.....gently caress it just let em' evolve in whatever region we find em' in. They owe us that much. I think they have to know the base would be pissed if they gave us some paltry rear end replacement for the most beloved megas.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Twelve by Pies posted:

that's not a good example either because gamefreak very clearly expected the elemental monkeys to be far more iconic and beloved than they were from how BW was designed. The game treated them as being basically a second starter.

that was the gen where they made a non-legendary event-only because they were trying to artificially recreate how much people liked lucario.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 29, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Twelve by Pies posted:

Its modeling them, bringing up the new rigging for the follow Pokemon, bringing over the movesets, testing, debugging, etc. Its not 'click button Pokemon added' unless they have spectacular tooling.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

the_steve posted:

Krabby is a hood one. I really want to use it, but gamefreak wants it to be pulling teeth with that moveset + stat combo.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

that's not a good example either because gamefreak very clearly expected the elemental monkeys to be far more iconic and beloved than they were from how BW was designed. The game treated them as being basically a second starter.

that was the gen where they made a non-legendary event-only because they were trying to artificially recreate how much people liked lucario.

The monkeys kinda seem like Eeveelution standins like how a lot of Gen 5’s guys are their own weird regional variant of iconic Gen 1 boys like Machop/Timburr, Geodude/Rogenrolla, Diglett/Timburr and Tentacool/Frillish, but, also unlike their counterparts they’re mostly not very visually appealing OR good in gameplay terms like even the lacking ones are (probably) in game so I dunno.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Shiroc posted:

Its modeling them, bringing up the new rigging for the follow Pokemon, bringing over the movesets, testing, debugging, etc. Its not 'click button Pokemon added' unless they have spectacular tooling.

The pokemon models, textures and riggings are nearly identical as their previous 3D game appearances since X/Y.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

qnqnx posted:

The pokemon models, textures and riggings are nearly identical as their previous 3D game appearances since X/Y.

They did not have the walking motions for everything before and you still have to test everything even if you assume it should work fine.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

The monkeys kinda seem like Eeveelution standins like how a lot of Gen 5’s guys are their own weird regional variant of iconic Gen 1 boys like Machop/Timburr, Geodude/Rogenrolla, Diglett/Timburr and Tentacool/Frillish, but, also unlike their counterparts they’re mostly not very visually appealing OR good in gameplay terms like even the lacking ones are (probably) in game so I dunno.

I initially used my monkey as intended....he sucked. Taking on the elite four with Simipour was...yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Shiroc posted:

They did not have the walking motions for everything before and you still have to test everything even if you assume it should work fine.

These came in US/UM, for everything else