Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013

LODGE NORTH posted:

I had tried this, but PKHeX was giving a slew of issues regarding compatibility -- the error itself was explicitly telling me I couldn't do it since the generations didn't add up. Straight dragging from one to the error worked the same as disabling the check (to avoid the error) by just giving me a completely blank profile for the Pokemon. The biggest problem was that while the program itself can open any generation save, the Pokemon within that save are -- as far as I can tell -- devised to only be compatible with that generation's saves. So like, dragging a gen 8 Pokemon to a gen 8 save works well, but dragging a gen 4 Pokemon to a gen 8 save seemingly doesn't work.

That's interesting! It could be that I transferred pokemon up (mostly) a single generation at a time. The only totally complete pokemon I've transferred up were specifically from Platinum straight to ORAS/XY, then after getting the ribbons there, onto USUM. I'm still in the process of getting pokemon up from USUM to SwSh, because I don't have a modded Switch and will be doing that with Bank, manually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

the_steve posted:

It irks me that they do come up with the rationale of wanting people to use the new mons, when over half of them exist just to give NPCs some variety in what they use.

I mean, is anybody, child or otherwise, actually running Klefki in their teams? Ever?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

lovely poker hand posted:

Edit: no save file conversion of any kind needed; PkHex can handle the GCN saves just as smooth as handling modern or DS games'.
it slightly annoys me that PkHex works but the Universal Randomizer doesn't

there's like, one Orre randomizer, and not only is it somewhat janky, it only works on Mac. Why.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

LODGE NORTH posted:

I was able to move my Palkia from my original Diamond cart to my copy of Brilliant Diamond, but it took, like, a lot of time.

I think, officially, the mode of travel is to trade from DP to BW, use PokeTransporter to move to Bank, then use Bank to put into Home, but then you have to just live there until BDSP get Home support added. Typing this out now, I realize this would have been ten times easier than the route I took.

I exported the cart save from Diamond using a hacked 3DS, exported the pk4 for Palkia in PKHeX, used pk2pk to convert it to a pk7 (compatible with 7th gen games), imported it into a save of Black ripped from the same hacked 3DS, uploaded to Bank, moved to Home, put in my unhacked Switch's copy of Sword, traded it to my hacked Switch's copy of Shield, exported the save and pk8 for Palkia via PKHex, imported the pk8 into the hacked Switch's copy of SP, traded into my unhacked copy of BD.

Lots of steps, none of them really worth it when I could have just...used a second DS to trade myself and skip a lot of that middle bit.

I did this move from Leaf Green, and the first 'mon I moved I was like "gently caress this sucks I don't want to have to do this for the rest of the box" but somewhere along the line I really started to somehow enjoy the mini game and actually wished I had more to move by the end of it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Pffff. Bdsp speedrun is down to 20 minutes. I hope they don't patch out the noclip bug, this is hilarious.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
They shouldn't patch anything and just use home and the GTS to gatekeep the illegal moveset
E: game crashing bugs excepted

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

FoolyCharged posted:

Pffff. Bdsp speedrun is down to 20 minutes. I hope they don't patch out the noclip bug, this is hilarious.

Even if they do patch it speedrunners will just use the unpatched version

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

FoolyCharged posted:

Hot take: glitches in Pokemon make the game better and it's why RBY are still so near and dear to me after nearly 24 years.

I loving love that this is a thing.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Framboise posted:

Hot take: glitches in Pokemon make the game better and it's why RBY are still so near and dear to me after nearly 24 years.

I loving love that this is a thing.
tweaking/void glitch was my favorite thing about Diamond & Pearl back in the day and im glad that these games have honored that legacy

it's sinnoh, home of reality-warping monstrosities - it should be really easy to break through collision and do ridiculous nonsense

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Hi, world's slowest Pokemon player checking in to say I diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!

Beat them on my first try, too! I'm proud of that.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Silver Falcon posted:

Hi, world's slowest Pokemon player checking in to say I diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!

Hah! I only just passed the 4th gym. I play games at a snom's pace.

Blaziken386 posted:

tweaking/void glitch was my favorite thing about Diamond & Pearl back in the day and im glad that these games have honored that legacy

it's sinnoh, home of reality-warping monstrosities - it should be really easy to break through collision and do ridiculous nonsense

I'll accept that as a canon justification.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Shiroc posted:

Furret is sold out right now because everyone loves the basic normal Pokemon but Sentret is still available: https://www.pokemoncenter.com/product/701-04432/sentret-sitting-cuties-plush-7-in

e: Palkia was not designed to sit

Someone needs to let me know if Raichu or Espeon become available again. Gonna have to get Marill in the meantime.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Beat them on my first try, too! I'm proud of that.

Out of curiosity do retconned fairy types keep their typing in game or no?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Flopsy posted:

No. Azumarill is water/fairy.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Flopsy posted:

It's still a gen 8 game despite all their faithfulness to the original. They didn't change anything like pokemon types or stats or move effects from swsh

Learnsets are also largely identical aside from the completely different tm list

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Me: I finally caught a Sneasel, my team is complete. Ok, what's its movepool like?
Serebii: Sneasel has one of the worst level up movepools in history. Luckily when it evolves to Weavile you can teach it Ice Shard via Heart Scale. And it learns Night Slash.
Me: At what level?
Serebii: 60. But in the interim you can use beat up.
Me: No I can't. Moves that hit more than twice are the devil. What about Ice Punch/Icicle Crash?
Serebii: What are your feelings about chain breeding...

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

...what's wrong with multi-hit moves

also what's up with this format you're using

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Amppelix posted:

...what's wrong with multi-hit moves

also what's up with this format you're using

My ADHD is bad enough that I get fidgity sitting through several hits, even when I turn attack animations off. And it's a dialogue chain, like a script.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Would anyone have a Turtwig they would throw my way? I want to restart my game and use monkey and turtle. Won’t be able to trade until tonight though.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

ChrisBTY posted:

Me: I finally caught a Sneasel, my team is complete. Ok, what's its movepool like?
Serebii: Sneasel has one of the worst level up movepools in history. Luckily when it evolves to Weavile you can teach it Ice Shard via Heart Scale. And it learns Night Slash.
Me: No I can't. Moves that hit more than twice are the devil. What about Ice Punch/Icicle Crash?

This remake is reminding me of how so many older Pokémon had abysmal move sets. Making TM disposable again and reinstating the tyranny of Heart Scales for the relearner only made that worse.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

instead of using that sneasel, go into the underground and catch a better one - egg moves galore with no breeding required

heck, egg move transferal is still a thing from SwSh, so you don't technically need to exchange it, just find one with the move and stick em both in the daycare for 30 seconds

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

Geostomp posted:

This remake is reminding me of how so many older Pokémon had abysmal move sets. Making TM disposable again and reinstating the tyranny of Heart Scales for the relearner only made that worse.

You only need to use 10 heart scales, it's totally free after that.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Complete_Cynic posted:

You only need to use 10 heart scales, it's totally free after that.

:aaa:

I mean, it’s silly they made it a requirement at all, but that’s pretty great.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

man i cant believe they still havent implemented a 'i am not using this game to practice my reading skills' feature to turn off repetitive messages like 'is confused!' every turn

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

man i cant believe they still havent implemented a 'i am not using this game to practice my reading skills' feature to turn off repetitive messages like 'is confused!' every turn

I'm part of the problem with Pokemon games as I'd pay cash money for a "This isn't my first game" DLC that skips the catching tutorials and minor minutiae like the confused message, even more money if it was granular and let you choose to disable stuff like the affection messages.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Open Marriage Night posted:

Someone needs to let me know if Raichu or Espeon become available again. Gonna have to get Marill in the meantime.

Raichu is back: https://www.pokemoncenter.com/product/701-05632/raichu-sitting-cuties-plush-6-in

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

first world problems: i had the codes for shiny celebi and that monkey pokemon in sitting around in my inbox because i didn't feel like pulling out my copy of sw and putting in the code

bdsp finally got me into mucking around with that and pokemon home (i'd stopped playing when it came out so i guess i missed out on some special pokemon, which i didn't even realize was a thing?) so i decided that now was the time to use those codes and... it turns out i'd deleted that email at some point in the past three months. :negative:

i suppose i'm just out of luck, huh?

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The codes only last so many months either way. So you might have run out of time, even if you still had them. I know that's not much of a consolation. But it's something to keep in mind for future events.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

My ADHD is bad enough that I get fidgity sitting through several hits, even when I turn attack animations off. And it's a dialogue chain, like a script.

Honestly when I read something like this it makes me want to give you one of my hand bred sneasels...however I don't think we're game compatible at the moment. Tell you what though, if in the future you have similar issues and we're on the same platform shoot me a message and we can troubleshoot what you need.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Shiroc posted:

The Pokemon Center website has been having a line called 'Sitting Cuties' where $12 plush versions of every single Pokemon in a generation. They got up to Sinnoh today and like the previous three, almost everything sells out instantly because these are the only time 99% of the Pokemon will ever get an official plush. Its how I was able to get a cute Onix, which is a Pokemon I absolutely adore in spite of them being in everything. It just highlights how every Pokemon is somebody's favorite.

I've never really gone and looked at that website before, but I just went and apparently they have never made a plush of the best pokemon, which is to say Scrafty? not impressed

It sounds like the thread official verdict is that the remakes are officially OK, no? I guess I will buy

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Hammerite posted:

I've never really gone and looked at that website before, but I just went and apparently they have never made a plush of the best pokemon, which is to say Scrafty? not impressed

It sounds like the thread official verdict is that the remakes are officially OK, no? I guess I will buy

People seem to be finding them satisfactory to their needs during the dry spell between mainline games and that's fine. I personally stand by these have nothing to offer me and their art style puts me off hard.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I am finding Shining Pearl to be extremely cute and fun and not some tiding me over filler. I never played the original Diamond and Pearl so it is also all as new as a mainline Pokemon ever is to me.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I stopped playing Pokemon after Diamond since all of my friends got too cool for it, and everyone online was in it competitively, and I knew nothing about that. I still bought Black and X, but never finished them. I tried playing Moon a few days ago and everything about it was unpleasant. Having to play it on a 3DS, every two seconds being a cutscene when you first start, the professor being like, almost purposefully annoying, and the visuals just seem cramped, but that might just be because it is a 3DS game.

Ironically, it made me get into Sword and Shield, which I'm enjoying a whole lot. Maybe I'll get into competitive play later, but there's a lot of stuff to learn.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

it’s a very nostalgic game with some modern QoL features (although i wish they had kept TRs). i know some people hate the chibi style, but i feel that they were a iconic look up to bw2 so returning to it in bdsp was a weldon’s change. i know my sister is not that super enthused about the camera in the newer games; she had to stop playing sun because some parts of the game made her motion sick.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The overworld artstyle works well enough when it's in the standard pokemon angle, but they really should never have had scenes where they zoom in on the chibi models, it looks really weird.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I don't dislike the chibi style, but it is a little weird to have this particular remake try to be as true to the original as possible when ORAS was trying to bring Ruby/Sapphire into X/Y-era quality. It's a little jarring in comparison and a little disappointing that there still isn't an edition of the game where every Pokemon (and/or forme thereof) is available all at once and probably won't happen until gen 9 (or at all)... but as a standalone title, in a vacuum, it's been a pretty good game so far. The QoL upgrades are good even if there's some rollback on QoL upgrades from current gens (again, in a vacuum here), and the graphics are exactly what they were trying to achieve, I think.

The controls are still wonky as poo poo tho

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
Disappointed to no end that they don't ship to Europe. Wanted a Clampearl sitting cutie! Doesn't look like it's stocked anywhere else either.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Hammerite posted:

They are very ok. They are Pokemon games, and very cute. You will have fun. Get them.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The chibi designs are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
As far as I'm concerned Legends takes the "remake" spot this gen for bringing back a region with remixed scenarios (in this case they are very very remixed to the point of being indistinguishable), while BDSP is more in the Let's Go category (except actually fun to play). I'm a lot less bothered with BDSP not changing as much thinking this way, and I've come to appreciate the games for what they are.

They shouldn't have done individual fingers on the models though, that looks really creepy.