Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
The download is 6.7 GB and my switch had only 6.3 GB free space :(

I freed up enough space + a little extra, but I heard there's a big patch for the game to download. How much extra does that add?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Spacebump posted:

I haven't played the Detective Pikachu game, so I don't know if this is explained better in the game than the movie. In the movie Ryme City exists as a place where humans and pokemon live togther, no pokeballs etc. Does this mean the humans+pokemon that live here have huge ethical issues with humans and their pokemon treatment in the rest of the world?

The main form of entertainment in the world, which dominates all conversations, is completely illegal and forced to exist only in seedy underground gambling dens so I’m going to say yes. Everyone there just talks all the time about the evils of Pokémon battles while their relatives at thanksgiving try to change the subject

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

didn’t the protagonist try to catch a cubone with a pokeball in the beginning? i haven’t seen it since it was in theaters so i may be misremembering

also i would say maybe it’s a city thing, you do see people with their pokémon out hanging around them in various cities and no one challenges you to a battle in them unless it’s a gym or some special battle place

maybe pokémon battling is regulated in cities and the underground fighting rings are if you don’t want to deal with the paperwork

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Spacebump posted:

I haven't played the Detective Pikachu game, so I don't know if this is explained better in the game than the movie. In the movie Ryme City exists as a place where humans and pokemon live togther, no pokeballs etc. Does this mean the humans+pokemon that live here have huge ethical issues with humans and their pokemon treatment in the rest of the world?

Yes.

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013

Spacebump posted:

In the Orre region, which has no wild Pokemon, there are Pokémon battles all over the place for people who already have Pokémon, but Pokéballs are a special order item which the shops specifically have to start importing. Technically, by XD, wild Pokemon are starting to pop up, but in Colosseum, Pokeballs were only available for purchase on essentially the side of the road in a bombed out train carcass.

It seems that the region is importing Pokemon from other regions by boat and just... Dumping them in the wild, maybe? The import ship gets stolen and turned into Shadow Pokemon, so who knows, but it seems like they were just trying to diversify the wildlife. Otherwise almost the whole region is arid, empty plains. There are some loose Pokemon center machines kicking around, and the infrastructure exists to facilitate pokemon battling, but it really looks like it's mostly a spectator sport which relatively few people participate in. I remember an NPC child who bitches about wishing to go Pokemon adventure, as is traditional, but not being able to.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Splash Attack posted:

didn’t the protagonist try to catch a cubone with a pokeball in the beginning? i haven’t seen it since it was in theaters so i may be misremembering

also i would say maybe it’s a city thing, you do see people with their pokémon out hanging around them in various cities and no one challenges you to a battle in them unless it’s a gym or some special battle place

maybe pokémon battling is regulated in cities and the underground fighting rings are if you don’t want to deal with the paperwork

he lived in a small village in the intro, then moves to the city where pokeballs are illegal and everyone has exactly one "pokemon partner" to settle his dads affairs

lovely poker hand posted:

In the Orre region, which has no wild Pokemon, there are Pokémon battles all over the place for people who already have Pokémon, but Pokéballs are a special order item which the shops specifically have to start importing. Technically, by XD, wild Pokemon are starting to pop up, but in Colosseum, Pokeballs were only available for purchase on essentially the side of the road in a bombed out train carcass.

It seems that the region is importing Pokemon from other regions by boat and just... Dumping them in the wild, maybe? The import ship gets stolen and turned into Shadow Pokemon, so who knows, but it seems like they were just trying to diversify the wildlife. Otherwise almost the whole region is arid, empty plains. There are some loose Pokemon center machines kicking around, and the infrastructure exists to facilitate pokemon battling, but it really looks like it's mostly a spectator sport which relatively few people participate in. I remember an NPC child who bitches about wishing to go Pokemon adventure, as is traditional, but not being able to.

there are lots of desert biome pokemon so having it be arid mean pokemon can't live there was silly. Also it's loving ridiculous that the first non-Japanese area to be made a region was loving Phoenix arizona./

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 2, 2021

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

there are lots of desert biome pokemon so having it be arid mean pokemon can't live there was silly. Also it's loving ridiculous that the first non-Japanese area to be made a region was loving Phoenix arizona./

maybe all the region's natural Pokemon died after the Pokemon War that Lt. Surge was in. Turns out Orre was nuked.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Nah the clue is in the region's name. Every time a wild pokemon thinks about moving there it's forced to conclude "Orre I could live elsewhere."

Just like the place it's based on!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Spacebump posted:

maybe all the region's natural Pokemon died after the Pokemon War that Lt. Surge was in. Turns out Orre was nuked.

poke-manhattan project site in new mexico

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Ryme City is a place where the villain team controls everything and seems like the ostensible utopia but then you find out the Boss is still trying to use magic gas to switch everyone's minds with Pokemon to create perfect beings.

The game doesn't have the same ending and it isn't nearly as bonkers so I needed to look it up to remember what it was exactly. Detective Pikachu does need to attend an eyes wide shut rich people masquerade party though, which I remember because lol wtf.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 2, 2021

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Blaziken386 posted:

version 1.1.2 is out!

...predictably, they have patched the menu glitch. :rip:

thank you gamefreak for killing off one of the most isnanely boring speedruns to watch ever. worse than the skyward sword start menu one. may the new speedruns be joyous

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

he lived in a small village in the intro, then moves to the city where pokeballs are illegal and everyone has exactly one "pokemon partner" to settle his dads affairs

dang i really need to rewatch detective pikachu

i should, that was a fun movie

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Shiroc posted:

Ryme City is a place where the villain team controls everything and seems like the ostensible utopia but then you find out the Boss is still trying to use magic gas to switch everyone's minds with Pokemon to create perfect beings.

The game doesn't have the same ending and it isn't nearly as bonkers so I needed to look it up to remember what it was exactly. Detective Pikachu does need to attend an eyes wide shut rich people masquerade party though, which I remember because lol wtf.

I really liked the movie until that twist near the end which was just so mind bogglingly stupid I just completely checked out.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

oddium posted:

thank you gamefreak for killing off one of the most isnanely boring speedruns to watch ever. worse than the skyward sword start menu one. may the new speedruns be joyous

Is the skyward sword one still a few hours long? 17 minutes at least respects the viewers' time a bit more.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

oddium posted:

You can't tell me you don't find it hilarious that the player can just freely move in cutscenes and just completely dodge Cynthia while she's still talking. And I can always appreciate having a bunch of menus open when they really shouldn't be.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Blaziken386 posted:

instead of using that sneasel, go into the underground and catch a better one - egg moves galore with no breeding required

heck, egg move transferal is still a thing from SwSh, so you don't technically need to exchange it, just find one with the move and stick em both in the daycare for 30 seconds

Thank you for the heads-up. I didn't realize Sneasels were in the underground. Have one with Ice Punch now. Much better.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

The availability of egg moves is great. Pearl was the game where I learned that while zubat is obnoxiously common, it's also pretty strong if you give it a chance and Batricia having brave bird early on for comical glass cannon action was great this go round.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

ChrisBTY posted:

Thank you for the heads-up. I didn't realize Sneasels were in the underground. Have one with Ice Punch now. Much better.

Holy poo poo your avatar is loving amazing. Congratulations, and may they introduce Megadugtrio in a forthcoming gen.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Flopsy posted:

I really liked the movie until that twist near the end which was just so mind bogglingly stupid I just completely checked out.

The twist being so mind bogglingly stupid is what made the movie for me. Like 20 solid minutes of escalating madness.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

FoolyCharged posted:

The availability of egg moves is great. Pearl was the game where I learned that while zubat is obnoxiously common, it's also pretty strong if you give it a chance and Batricia having brave bird early on for comical glass cannon action was great this go round.

Batricia?!

Please tell your other pokemon names. That's high-tier.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Batricia?!

Please tell your other pokemon names. That's high-tier.

Tortimer the torterra
Gibbabella the garchomp
Garydos the gyarados
Missy the mismagius
Magmorton the magmar

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

FoolyCharged posted:

Tortimer the torterra
Gibbabella the garchomp
Garydos the gyarados
Missy the mismagius
Magmorton the magmar

Very good, thank you.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

FoolyCharged posted:

Tortimer the torterra
Gibbabella the garchomp
Garydos the gyarados
Missy the mismagius
Magmorton the magmar

My scyther is named ScimiTara.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Update 1.12 apparently removes all the duplication methods, so don't update if you're still using them

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm finally at the league with this squad of idiots at my disposal

but now how am i supposed to pick six from here as my Official Final team???

oddium posted:

you could have just watched other categories, my friend, no need to kill the run (and it didn't die anyway lol people will just not patch their games)

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I had somehow never seen Ambipom before playing Shining Pearl and I find the design disconcertingly unwholesome.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

it slaps you with its big hands

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

big rear end hands

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
In the anime, Ash catches an Aipom during the Battle Frontier arc, trades it with Dawn for her Buizel, then it evolves and they abandon it at the ping pong tournament.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Toxicroak once completely stonewalled Clair’s Kingdra with Hydration, so definitely use Toxicroak in your Elite Four run

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
patches are downloaded, right? So I can just delete the data?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

HootTheOwl posted:

patches are downloaded, right? So I can just delete the data?

Only if you have the physical version

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Shiroc posted:

The twist being so mind bogglingly stupid is what made the movie for me. Like 20 solid minutes of escalating madness.

I mean it's pokemon. I'm used to some very special uh "plans" from the villains but this was just....weirder than usual. Like I could get it if the old rich dude wanted Mewtwo's body because his was actively shutting down and he wanted a strong vessel. Like...fine. that works. His whole magic brain switcharoo with the entire population of the city though? Just....loving...what why???? It was so goddamned incoherent and just utterly out of no where I actually felt embarrassed for being in the theatre. Also I was genuinely annoyed because the parts I liked I LOVED and it just threw that stink on the rest of the movie. Making ditto a genuinely horrifying threat by taking it's natural behavior to the extreme? Just that was perfection. Also detective Pikachu was actually really cute and charming in addition to Mewtwo having a dual non binary voice. Just inspired choices all around there. But seriously dat ending though.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Flopsy posted:

I mean it's pokemon. I'm used to some very special uh "plans" from the villains but this was just....weirder than usual. Like I could get it if the old rich dude wanted Mewtwo's body because his was actively shutting down and he wanted a strong vessel. Like...fine. that works. His whole magic brain switcharoo with the entire population of the city though? Just....loving...what why???? It was so goddamned incoherent and just utterly out of no where I actually felt embarrassed for being in the theatre. Also I was genuinely annoyed because the parts I liked I LOVED and it just threw that stink on the rest of the movie. Making ditto a genuinely horrifying threat by taking it's natural behavior to the extreme? Just that was perfection. Also detective Pikachu was actually really cute and charming in addition to Mewtwo having a dual non binary voice. Just inspired choices all around there. But seriously dat ending though.

pokemon villains with motivations that actually make sense with a plan that clearly accomplishes said motivation:

Giovanni
guzma

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

i'm sorry but the existence of the natural aging process leaves me no choice but to nuke pokeFrance.

later i will nuke pokeBritain but this time because of the existence of entropy more abstractly

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

pokemon villains with motivations that actually make sense with a plan that clearly accomplishes said motivation:

Giovanni
guzma

Actual good Pokemon villains:

Lusamine
Guzma

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Cynthia is the only good Pokemon villain

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Is there anyone around to help me with some quick trades in BD right now?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
imo the biggest villain in Pokemon is the boss who didn't even let the Saffron City guys have water on duty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

i'm sorry but the existence of the natural aging process leaves me no choice but to nuke pokeFrance.

later i will nuke pokeBritain but this time because of the existence of entropy more abstractly

But Lysandre is also shown in advance to be crazier than a shithouse rat. As a matter of fact the best pokemon villains are in fact shown to have something seriously loving wrong with them. Lusamine is literally a drug addict jonzing for another hit, Lysandre is a sociopathic classist who can't fake till he makes it anymore, Guzma is an abused young man desperate for some form of approval from an actual adult, Cyrus is similar except he's decided instead of getting therapy literally all emotion needs to loving die, Ghetsis is an actual cult leader who considers himself the apex of the human race. So on and so forth but they all get some build up to what they're doing. Old dude was like Chairman Rose except incredibly even more incoherent with his goals. No real build up as to why he wanted to do it just here's my evil plan and now it's gonna happen.