Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

indigi posted:

or just come up with other names or ways to address them, e.g. Claude calls you teach. plus in Pokémon you’re a peer, just have people give you nicknames based on your dialogue choices during your first interaction or two with them. oh hey look it’s mr malasada. it’s captain kalos. It’s fuckup mcshithole

It is kind of funny since Byleth has a canon last name they could use like Shepard is Shep. No matter what first name you put in, they're still x Eisner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
which 19th century economist-philosopher should i read in order to get better at spotting scarf lando on team preview

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

The solution to this is that they’re called “Professor Babe” once the romance is triggered

Unironically would appreciate this more

indigi posted:

or just come up with other names or ways to address them, e.g. Claude calls you teach. plus in Pokémon you’re a peer, just have people give you nicknames based on your dialogue choices during your first interaction or two with them. oh hey look it’s mr malasada. it’s captain kalos. It’s fuckup mcshithole

Oh yea I think it's fine and good and Pokemon should adapt it. Just remarking on the execution in Fire Emblem which has way more dialogue, a more serious plot, and a weird teacher dynamic they clearly thought partway but not all the way through.

Eimi posted:

It is kind of funny since Byleth has a canon last name they could use like Shepard is Shep. No matter what first name you put in, they're still x Eisner.

Yea, and Byleth has basically no customization beyond the class promotions any named unit has. And even less personality. Would've been better if they just called them Byleth, honestly.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

indigi posted:

It’s fuckup mcshithole

So is that Giovanni, Archie, Maxie, Cyrus, Ghetsis, Lysandre, Lusamine, or Rose?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
they were signing their post

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

They should do like X-2 and have your character be referred to only as "them" or "that person" in all conversations to the point of incredibly awkwardness.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Geostomp posted:

At very least, they have vocals if they insist on doing a musical number. If only to avoid a repeat of Piers’ “song”.

The what?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Lawman 0 posted:

The what?

Just the beginning of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ_z0N51VMk

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Lawman 0 posted:

The what?

There's a scene in Spikmuth when Piers introduces himself to the player character before their gym match. He's supposed to be singing but there's no voice acting so its weirdly silent for what should be an ear-splitting rock concert.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
In the Spikemuth section of Sw/Sh, the gym leader Piers is a punk rocker and when you reach him at the end of gym he supposedly sings a song AT you to welcome you and start the gym leader fight, BUT:

There's only the normal volume background music playing, not Piers' battle theme.
There's no vocal work from Piers, only text bubbles under his face with limited mouth movement
You can't skip through the text bubbles as this is a bit of a lipsynching cutscene-like sequence

It's an incredibly awkward part in a game filled with awkward budget cutting results.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Lawman 0 posted:

The what?

Y'know, this jam! It was a pretty awesome moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-Piy7mcjF8

Tbh I'm genuinely totally fine with there being no voice acting. I genuinely dislike being a silent protagonist in a game that is otherwise VA'd, and your character is silent like 99% of the time.

The Piers cutscene was really funny though

e: triple beat oops

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That scene just needed better bgm tbh.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Lux Animus posted:

In the Spikemuth section of Sw/Sh, the gym leader Piers is a punk rocker and when you reach him at the end of gym he supposedly sings a song AT you to welcome you and start the gym leader fight, BUT:

There's only the normal volume background music playing, not Piers' battle theme.
There's no vocal work from Piers, only text bubbles under his face with limited mouth movement
You can't skip through the text bubbles as this is a bit of a lipsynching cutscene-like sequence

It's an incredibly awkward part in a game filled with awkward budget cutting results.

That's pretty dumb especially because I'm gonna be mashing A to get through it anyways.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
The thing with Piers is especially dumb when you look back to Gen V and remember that they had unique music for each gym. Including some with vocals (very little vocal, but some). Roxie was twice the rocker Piers ever was.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, I have run into a conundrum.

I ordered the Wand Company diecast Premier Ball replica through Amazon to throw on my nerd shelf as my Pokemon rep. But, they accidentally sent me an Ultra Ball. Normally, I would just ask for a return/replace, but the Ultra Ball is actually $50 more expensive.

So, now I'm debating on whether I return it and lose the unexpected discount or just buy another Premier Ball. I don't mind having both, but by having two of them, my geek OCD will make me eventually want to get the whole set (including the limited run Master Ball which is god expensive right now).

Choices, choices.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
just return it, they’re all 100 bucks everywhere but Amazon except for the master ball which is like 250 on stockx

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That scene just needed better bgm tbh.

:hmmyes:

Given that Spikemuth's track is modular, I feel like the least they could've done is kept the bassline and guitar solo going during his concert rather than going into the Team Yell encounter theme

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Didn’t XY literally have a scene where you pick a preferred nickname from a list for the loser squad to call you?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

there’s no voice acting and the dialogue isn’t worth paying attention to and I haven’t cared about the music in these games ever. i just listen to a podcast or something and catch fellers.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The games usually have good music. You should listen more often.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAHHFc-gIeI

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The gym and Dynamax gym music where really nice in SwSh.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

It's probably the most referenced/memed song but the low HP :supaburn: PANIC!!! music from Gen V is an absolute banger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsoxjylnQ68

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

You posted the wrong Miror B. theme but that's okay I got you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuhqoZvyntA

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

There is no such thing as "the wrong Miror B theme"

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Scholtz posted:

It's probably the most referenced/memed song but the low HP :supaburn: PANIC!!! music from Gen V is an absolute banger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsoxjylnQ68
The only issue with the low HP song was when you were fighting a legendary or Ghetsis or something and the music had actually been way more intense before you were at critical health.

The music in Sword and Shield was amazing. So weird they dropped the ball so completely with the Piers scene.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbJmVoQYepg

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
There's a reason the big tunes from Pokemon are so well known in pop-culture, the series consistently has amazing music. Even the terrible RSE soundtrack became 10/10 once ORAS gave it instrumentation that didn't sound like a dying cat.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
The Piers song moment is doubly awkward when you realize how well does the music sync anywhere else. Like the gym leader theme is cut so they get their introduction on the beat. Same for Marnie and Bede. It just works so we'll everywhere but there it's jarring.

Also this theme has no right to slap this hard: https://youtu.be/ctxBtQ8AcUw

Easily my favourite track in the game.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

galagazombie posted:

There's a reason the big tunes from Pokemon are so well known in pop-culture, the series consistently has amazing music. Even the terrible RSE soundtrack became 10/10 once ORAS gave it instrumentation that didn't sound like a dying cat.

You take that back, RSE's instrumentation was perfect :gaz:

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I have some kind of defect where I genuinely can't tell when music is good, and it seems completely random whether I like or even remember a song. I've heard "tin ear" before but that's usually for people who can't identify music notes and pitches, whatever i have seems worse than that

I know pokemon has good songs and people talk about them all the time, but literally the only music I can remember is the title screen, battle music, and pokemon center music from RGB

so I 100% agree with the user who says they're good podcast games. pity me.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Eiba posted:

The only issue with the low HP song was when you were fighting a legendary or Ghetsis or something and the music had actually been way more intense before you were at critical health.

A pity they didn't take advantage of the midi system to have a track for the health siren so they could weave it into tracks once your HP hit the red

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

galagazombie posted:

There's a reason the big tunes from Pokemon are so well known in pop-culture

define “well known”

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Catch 'em, catch 'em, gotta catch 'em all

- Gotta Catch 'Em All -

POKEMON

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'll agree that the music is good in alot of cases. But sometimes I just unintentionally tune it out. I'll leave it set to pick random tracks online. And then I don't really notice it until I hear specific parts and I'm like "Oh, hey. It's the gym theme." as the crowd part goes. Or if I hear the howling in that one song, I know it's the one when the dogs show up. But otherwise I just couldn't tell you a single thing I listened to in that sitting.

With some of the older games up through the DS eras, I remember town themes and some of the special battle themes much more distinctly. I don't know why it's turned into such a selective thing for me. But Black and White seems to be the one I can remember the most of off-hand. Which I guess is fitting for how good that gen was overall.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

pokemon music is not especially memorable. would call it replacement level for a franchise of its importance. couple good battle themes. the best song by leaps and bounds is the smash remix of spear pillar

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Objection, every gen 2 song is wonderfully composed and some of the tracks have been stuck in my head for over 20 years

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Lux Animus posted:

Catch 'em, catch 'em, gotta catch 'em all

- Gotta Catch 'Em All -

POKEMON

A one woman man's what I wanna be
Stay by her side so faithfully
I would if I could, but it's just no good

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007