Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

MorningMoon posted:

It was really a downward spiral. RSE they are kinda neutral but you see them often enough and they're relatively strong. DPPt they're just a kinda shy lab assistant to compliment how hyperactive Barry is. In XY you just bully them.
they dont even have a final rival battle with a fully evolved starter until ORAS, iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Augus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=259C4AaOHn0
the musician npcs were the best, Gen V owned so much

They sucked. It meant you only got to hear a gimped version of the soundtrack for 99% of the game, which is a travesty since it’s such a good soundtrack. Accumla Town right there is such a good track and you only hear half the instruments if you go in a random out of the way house that resets every time you leave town. Same problem on the routes where the snare drum only cuts in while youre moving, which was doubly annoying since Pokémon is the king of game where you’re constantly stopping and going, so it was constantly going on and off like someone flicking the light switch. It only worked at village bridge since it’s a fun little side quest exploring the place fighting trainers, and as a little reward you get to hear a guy go “Ughawghughuaw”.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

they dont even have a final rival battle with a fully evolved starter until ORAS, iirc
no because the spot usually used for this is taken up by wally (which is also a cool twist) but that doesn't diminish their presence through the rest of the game at all

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If a rival never fully evolves their starter then they're a failure tbh.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

harsh!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Rival tier list

1. Your good friend, Hau
2. Tierno
3. Smell ya later
4. The guy from BW2, because it's very funny when he solemnly tells you he's going to unleash his rage
5. Barry
6. Wally
7. Hop
8. Bianca (gets bonus points for actually nicknaming one of her pokemon even if it's a pretty weak nickname)
9. Silver
10. the rest, whoever they are

note: If Gladion counts as a "rival" then he gets the top spot, purely for telling the PC to "get out"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They want me to think they're my rival when the strongest they ever get is like a level 30 starter?

They just don't make the cut.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I like that lad from PLA but he's not really the rival, is he? Blondie is. Or Volo. God I haven't played for a month and I've forgotten everyone's name.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Love to stress our about gym leaders in a nuzlocke and then lose two good pokemon to random trainers instead. :thumbsup:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Is gen3 magneton good enough to bring to the elite 4?

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I've been playing Pokemon Sun just to fill out the Pokedex before I send everything I have from ORAS/X/Y over (I have a copy of Sun I just never played past 2 or 3 hours)

Game feels really fun and has some pretty good atmosphere, I have no idea why I hated it so much when it came out besides "it's different. no gyms" but the hour long tutorial is probably the biggest reason why I didn't like it

would I be able to get away with every single Alolan pokemon by using copies of Sun/Ultra Moon just so I don't have to play the same game back to back

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lawman 0 posted:

Up until the first Earthquake.
Sturdy doesn't become a focus sash until Gen 4

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

Baffling that they don't get levitate.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

yes.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

:hmmyes:
I didn't even get that anyways I got magnet pull.
Welcome to the team Lapras and *shakes magic 8 ball* uhhh Tentacruel which is now a rain team or whatever.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Tampa Bae posted:

I've been playing Pokemon Sun just to fill out the Pokedex before I send everything I have from ORAS/X/Y over (I have a copy of Sun I just never played past 2 or 3 hours)

Game feels really fun and has some pretty good atmosphere, I have no idea why I hated it so much when it came out besides "it's different. no gyms" but the hour long tutorial is probably the biggest reason why I didn't like it

would I be able to get away with every single Alolan pokemon by using copies of Sun/Ultra Moon just so I don't have to play the same game back to back

no unfortunately, there’s a couple ultra beasts that are US only

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Here are my guys right before gym 8 in FRLG+.

Dead box.

edit: Main pokemon levels are like 45-50 level cap is 54 for challenge mode.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Chieves posted:

Baffling that they don't get levitate.

It’s not really baffling because it’s a deliberate balance choice because Gen 3 Magneton resists everything except Fire/Water/Fighting/Ground and converting Ground to an immunity would have been amazing defensively.

…I mean, don’t get me wrong, I’m not gonna defend that balance choice as well thought out since the Magnemite line is already balanced by its movepool, but hey.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Just don't send Magneton out against flygon or dusclops and you'll be fine. Flygon is immune to electric moves anyway

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

Here are my guys right before gym 8 in FRLG+.

Dead box.

edit: Main pokemon levels are like 45-50 level cap is 54 for challenge mode.

rip to the fallen

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Looper posted:

rip to the fallen

Explosion/Self-destruct OP please nerf.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I've never had the patience to sit through an entire let's play nuzlocke run, but Jaiden's nuzlocke videos are always a hoot.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

I've never had the patience to sit through an entire let's play nuzlocke run, but Jaiden's nuzlocke videos are always a hoot.

This honestly isn't too bad but if I did like any the harder romhack ones I would probably go insane. The grinding is genuinely awful and training up replacements for like nidoking and crobat is gonna suck.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Like losing those venasaur, snorlax, gyrados, golem, and gengar sucked but the rest were basically acceptable losses.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Lawman 0 posted:

This honestly isn't too bad but if I did like any the harder romhack ones I would probably go insane. The grinding is genuinely awful and training up replacements for like nidoking and crobat is gonna suck.

Just use rare candies, grinding isn't worth the tedium. If you can beat up a random trash mon 5x you can also beat it up 200x.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

AlternateNu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SGUOyu-7TY

Maybe I've got a soft spot because I watched him play through this for hours. A custom version of Platinum made just for him to stream on Twitch, every time a named pokemon died he banned the subscriber it was named after. Pretty entertaining (and even shouts out Jaden!)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Zedd posted:

Just use rare candies, grinding isn't worth the tedium. If you can beat up a random trash mon 5x you can also beat it up 200x.

I think the tedium is kind of the point with a nuzlocke isn’t it? it’s why I’d never ever do one

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

indigi posted:

I think the tedium is kind of the point with a nuzlocke isn’t it? it’s why I’d never ever do one

Forcing you to play with a limited tool set and still try to beat the game as a challenge is fun. It's what's cool about Coliseum

And you really shouldn't have to grind outside of the bad games like the gen2 ones where xp curves are theoretical.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yeah I've never grinded in a nuzlocke. I guess you could wind up in a situation like that if you lose too many guys but normally you don't really need to

btw, the best restrictions besides the basics are:
the highest level pokemon the next gym leader(or champ, or team boss etc) has is your level limit until you beat them
can't buy healing items, but ones you find on the ground are fine

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

IronicDongz posted:

can't buy healing items, but ones you find on the ground are fine

I thought this was standard and the one that sounds most awful to me, I’d be running back to a pokecenter after every trainer battle because of Fear

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

indigi posted:

I thought this was standard and the one that sounds most awful to me, I’d be running back to a pokecenter after every trainer battle because of Fear

At that point just don't do it. The whole point of the challenge is to see how far you can make it.

But also no the only standards are 1 per route and release on ko.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
you could also say that buying healing items is fine but only use them outside of battle(besides held items).

but I like to make stuff like random potions lying on the ground meaningful finds instead of borderline garbage like they are usually.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/tobyfox/status/1557503052487479297

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
The most basic thing I know that separates the wheat from the chaff in Nuzlockes is whether in-battle-items are allowed or not, and additionally that if you can get to that point you should hack in infinite money and/or rare candies to prevent tedium (or being forced to deal with the game corner etc) so you can instead follow stricter rules (lvl restrictions, no items in battle, have to fight all trainers on a route before healing at the next pokecenter, you lose all your mons you die in real life, and so forth).

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Lux Animus posted:

you lose all your mons you die in real life

wow some people take this stuff way too seriously

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

indigi posted:

wow some people take this stuff way too seriously

no waifu-mon no lifeu, mon

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
there really isn't any concrete rules for nuzlockes aside from "you use the first pokemon on a route you encounter" and "if a pokemon faints it is 'dead' and cannot be used", and anyone who says you're doing it wrong or w/e is at best off-base and possibly being a huge jerk. ultimately the point of a nuzlocke is to be fun so if you think a rule wouldn't be fun you simply omit it, or add new rules if you think it needs more.

personally I roll with the default two plus:

- must nickname to a theme
- battle style must be on "Set" (doesn't prompt you to switch when trainers send out a new pokemon)
- no in-battle items aside from held items (this means healing/etc out of battle with bought items is fine)
- cannot level above the next gym leader's Ace pokemon (I fudge this to X+1 or X+2 if I think a given game is hard enough to warrant it)
- species clause, so any repeat encounters are skipped and don't count as that route's encounter
- pokemon can be caught for HM purposes if you don't have any other option and would need to forfeit the run

in my most recent one of SuMo I also used the "use the same number of pokemon as the gym trainer" rule but I ended up losing that run pretty quick to totem Salazzle even fudging the rule to allow for three mons in that fight, admittedly due to pretty bad RNG but that happens.

e: it's worth noting that the games have wildly different difficulties especially in a nuzlocke context so what fits for one may not fit for another. i also think using tools for rare candies is fine, especially since you're losing out on EVs anyway so its not even optimal. some romhacks like Inclement Emerald also have patches that do things like enforce level limits or give you 999 rare candies whenever you want since those have increased challenges so the random "fun" of having the new mon you're training up after losing one in a gym battle die to a wild graveler's Self-Destruct isn't so important.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 11, 2022

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I gave myself an one use mulligan on picking up a repeat encounter (counting as that routes encounter in frlg) because I really wanted to try using a ninetales since I never actually used one before.
Do you guys think that's bad?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I have definitely skipped like 5 other encounters because there are so many freaking duplicate encounters there are in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

I gave myself an one use mulligan on picking up a repeat encounter (counting as that routes encounter in frlg) because I really wanted to try using a ninetales since I never actually used one before.
Do you guys think that's bad?
I'm not a cop