Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Also G8 means it's an even numbered generation means new Eeveelution or two! New Eeveelutions typically evolve using new mechanics introduced in that game. This game's new mechanics will be the Pokemon X Factor where you get your Pokemon to do talent performances (like contests, but the name is different, so it is not the same). If Eevee wins Poke Factor, it evolves into the new Sound type Eeveelution whose hairstyle is based on one of the members of The Beatles (Shield Version) or One Direction (Sword Version)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Do I need to get any of the VC 3ds games to attempt to get a full National Dex on USUM?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Also G8 means it's an even numbered generation means new Eeveelution or two! New Eeveelutions typically evolve using new mechanics introduced in that game. This game's new mechanics will be the Pokemon X Factor where you get your Pokemon to do talent performances (like contests, but the name is different, so it is not the same). If Eevee wins Poke Factor, it evolves into the new Sound type Eeveelution whose hairstyle is based on one of the members of The Beatles (Shield Version) or One Direction (Sword Version)!

Jedward

yes I know they're irish

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Winklebottom posted:

Jedward

yes I know they're irish

You get Jedwardeon in Pokemon Gun, obviously.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Kinda bummed there doesn't seem to be a Hadrian's Wall pastiche. That'd be a cool Battle Tower equivalent where you move along the wall fighting dudes.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

galagazombie posted:

Kinda bummed there doesn't seem to be a Hadrian's Wall pastiche. That'd be a cool Battle Tower equivalent where you move along the wall fighting dudes.

There is A wall south of the Ice Zone but that will probably just be blocking it off until you get all the gym badgesfootball trophies and go fight the Elite FourHouse of Lords.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I'm not ruling out a taiko-drumming gorilla a-la Donkey Konga as Grookey's third stage.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m lookin forward to making a six man party based on the members of Iron Maiden and conquering the land with the power of rock!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

OK so here are my thoughts! I know everyone wants to hear them. I think Grookey, with his music theme and his stick, is going to turn into an orchestra conductor. His stick is OBVIOUSLY going to become a conductor's baton!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That monkey's hair stick is going to turn into a staff and we're gonna get (another) Sun Wukong, I'm sure of it.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Nah he's got a music theme going on with his other names (groove-monkey in English) so he's probably going to become a drummer or something boring instead of my vastly superior idea.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Hey! If you think a punk rock drummer monkey is a worse idea than some snooty conductor monkey then.....actually, both of those monkeys sound pretty cool.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Monkey is the drummer, lizard is the guitarist, bunny is the singer.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

What if stage 2 is a punk rock drummer monkey and stage 3 is a snooty conductor monkey or vice versa?

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I'm not ruling out a taiko-drumming gorilla a-la Donkey Konga as Grookey's third stage.

You're all wrong. It's Britain, it's musical, there's a stick. It's clear what direction Grookey's evolutions are gonna go

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Gripweed posted:

You're all wrong. It's Britain, it's musical, there's a stick. It's clear what direction Grookey's evolutions are gonna go

I thought this was a good idea until I remembered that they sometimes do that in blackface (morris dancing = Moorish dancing) and he's a monkey soooooo :gonk:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm mildly disappointed that the entire region is just a straight line walk north

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Looks like you go north but then it branches out much like Kanto

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ye can go north but i’ll nae leave me home

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elfgames posted:

I'm mildly disappointed that the entire region is just a straight line walk north
Honestly until proven otherwise I'm interpreting the apparent linearity of the region as proof that SwSh are semi-open world and that you can run around wherever you want between the beginning and end game.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
"I did it Goons! I found and collected all the Pokemon threads!"

"W-why OhFunny?

"Umm...to catch them all?"

Let's Go to the Pokemon Thready Thread
Pokemon Megathread 6.0: You'd have to have mega stones to not play this.
Pokemon Megathread 5.1: Land of the Butterfree and home of the Braviary
POKeMON Black/White Megathread: This series is older than its demographic.
POKeMON Megathread: Black and White versions due March 6th, 2011 US (racism)
POKeMON Megathread: HeartGold/SoulSilver 3/14/2010 US, Generation V sometime 2010 JPN
POKeMON Megathread: Asperger's Version/Image Spam Version
Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/Heart Gold/Soul Silver: sweet merciful jesus
Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum: Platinum's out.
Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum: There is no Pokémon Platinum.
Pokémon Diamond/Pearl: Michael Vick sent out HOUNDOOM!
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl: The Pokerus+Power item EV gain formula is 2(x+4)
Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Battle Revolution: Milotic Evolution Helpline
Pokémon Diamond and Pearl: My Translator is Fight
Pokémon Megathread: Holy crap, Diamond and Pearl are out.
Pokémon Megathread: Lickilicky Five Dollah!
Pokémon Megathread: JE SUIS EMPOLEON
Pokémon Megathread - Here Comes a Special Boy!
Pokémon Megathread: Metagame Appreciation Station
Pokémon Megathread: Good Rods and Great Balls
Pokemon Megathread
Pokémon Megathread 942: Everyone Loves A Wooper
Pokémon Megathread: Proving God Wrong By Putting Him in a Pokéball
Pokemon Megathread - Don't Worry, We're Only 34 (Diamond/Pearl out in Japan)
Pokémon Megathread - Fire Monkey Edition (Diamond/Pearl out in Japan)
Pokémon Megathread - This thread will last twelve days.
Pokémon Megathread - Pork Fat and Bacon Grease Version
Pokémon Megathread Chapter the 87th: Because Mime Jr. is a stupid name
Pokémon Megathread: For Gardevoir discussion we're simply the breast!
We put the POKE in pokémon-MEGATHREAD! PS Diamond and Pearl are online
Pokémon Megathread 47: THE DS VERSION HAS ONLINE PLAY, YOU DUMBASS
Pokémon Megathread: Diamond and Pearl are nearly upon us!
POKéMON MEGATHREAD: Goons Unorthodoxly and Neatly Eradicating Smogon
POKéMON MEGATHREAD: Rancid Meat Version/Political Science Version
POKéMON Megathread: Fabulous Pink Version
POKEMON Megathread: Republican Version
Pokemon Megathread

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 28, 2019

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Looks like you go north but then it branches out much like Kanto

Yeah. There's a super high-resolution version of the map floating around out there, and it's clear that most of the gyms are spread out around the central area. It isn't just a line going south the north.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Well, I've added them to the OP, should make for some interesting reading later.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm not sure why there's concern about Gen 8 linearity? I've been playing only since Gen 6, so I've played a bit of Yellow and Silver on the VS, and Y, AS and UM, and all the games are pretty much walk from point A to B to trigger the next cutscene, in the meantime there's a bit of "openness" here and there to go gently caress around in tall grass. This new map looks pretty much the same to me? Also, it looks like the elevation continually rises as you head north, which I think is really cool. With the Switch's graphics, you can hopefully look south at any point and see where you came from stretching off in the distance, giving a good sense of journey. I think that'll be fun.

To be fair, I haven't played any of Gens 4 and 5, so maybe there's some crazy open world shenanigans there I haven't seen and i'm talking out my rear end. I do hope to/plan to play those some day. At Least BW/BW2/Platinum.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
There sure were a lot of D/P/Pt threads, huh.

chaosapiant posted:

I’m lookin forward to making a six man party based on the members of Iron Maiden and conquering the land with the power of rock!

This is an awesome idea.

Wait will we get a David Bowie Pokemon??

Edit: BW were just a giant circle, they were very linear. All the games have been except for RBY and, to some extent, GSC. It didn't work very well IMO and was part of the reason the level curve was messed up.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 28, 2019

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
So much of the Galar region looks naturally or artificially fortified that I'm not convinced we aren't raising an adorable monster army and lying siege to the place.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Solumin posted:

This is an awesome idea.

Well the game is full of prepubescent kids so yeah David Bowie is probably hanging around

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Well the game is full of prepubescent kids so yeah David Bowie is probably hanging around

I think you're thinking of someone else. Maybe Jimmy Saville?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Exploud will be retyped into Sound and finally I'll get justification for keeping my favorite yelly boy

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

E2M2 posted:

Do I need to get any of the VC 3ds games to attempt to get a full National Dex on USUM?

Nope. X or Y, Omega or Alpha, and US or UM will get you a complete Dex.

Solumin posted:

For some reason a lot of the older threads were closed at 25 pages. Perhaps forum limitations?

Here's a fun post from 2005:

quote:

The very first time I played Pokemon Blue I didn't know anything about anything and was too lazy to pull up a FAQ. After Viridian Forest I had a party of Charmander, Pikachu, Pidgey, Rattata, Kakuna, and Metapod, all of which were seriously underleveled. And I marched right up to the Pewter gym with this sad lot. For whatever reason I thought that you couldn't leave a gym once you entered it, and after having a couple knocked out, I was beginning to feel a bit nervous.

Anyway, along comes Brock's Onix, which at the time I thought was impressive, and he slaughters just about everything I have left, but not before taking some heavy damage. Last guy out is a Metapod that I'd kept alive by potions. Now, I had caught a *wild* Metapod. One with no moves but Harden. So I just used it over and over to see what would happen. Of course, after six uses it stopped working, but what the heck, I didn't have anything left. And eventually of course it ran out of PP and started to Struggle (which I did not know about at the time), chipping down the Onix's life single pixel by single pixel.

I KOed that Onix with a Struggling Metapod, the turn before it would have KOed itself from the recoil damage. No lie.

That is how I learned that as badass as Onix looked, he is indeed a scrub.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Solumin posted:

I think you're thinking of someone else. Maybe Jimmy Saville?

He was having sex with at least one 15 year old in the 70s

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think I read this earlier in the thread but just to confirm: Totem Pokémon are not bank compatible, correct? So...ultimately they're kinda a useless afterthought?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wait you can catch them?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Only the Totem Pokemon introduced in USUM, so Togedemaru, Ribombee, Araquanid and Alolan Marowak can't be put in Bank since you also can't trade them back to SM, where they didn't exist. All other Totem Pokemon are tradeable and thus bankable.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

chaosapiant posted:

I'm not sure why there's concern about Gen 8 linearity? I've been playing only since Gen 6, so I've played a bit of Yellow and Silver on the VS, and Y, AS and UM, and all the games are pretty much walk from point A to B to trigger the next cutscene, in the meantime there's a bit of "openness" here and there to go gently caress around in tall grass. This new map looks pretty much the same to me? Also, it looks like the elevation continually rises as you head north, which I think is really cool. With the Switch's graphics, you can hopefully look south at any point and see where you came from stretching off in the distance, giving a good sense of journey. I think that'll be fun.

To be fair, I haven't played any of Gens 4 and 5, so maybe there's some crazy open world shenanigans there I haven't seen and i'm talking out my rear end. I do hope to/plan to play those some day. At Least BW/BW2/Platinum.

I think by linearity people don't so much mean "Go to Town A then B then C in that order" as they mean how you go from A to B to C. Like how in Kanto they meant for you to do the Gyms in a certain order, but by blocking off Saffron in the middle of the map you had to take all kinds of tunnels and detours to get to point B instead of a straight line (people don't give the world map design in Kanto enough credit for that trick). Platinum does something similar where you visit the Towns in a set order, but their locations on the map are not next to each other. Theres a big dungeon in the middle that you repeatedly criss-cross to get to new towns, and some areas near the starting town you need to come back later on with HM's to get to. Black and White conversely are super linear in that every town is adjacent to the town before and after it. Black2 and White2 use the same map, but try to make you visit the towns in a different order. The map wasn't made for this however, and it really shows. The whole game is filled with really inorganic hops and skips and at points will openly admit to you it's blocking your path for no goddamn reason.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I don't think you catch them per say, but Samson Oak gives them to you as you turn in those gold stickers to him.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Linearity isn't inherently bad and it's an empty criticism to me, it's okay to have to do things in a certain order

Like gen 2 was very non-linear and it ruined the level curve in a major way

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Yea, I've got the first three Samson Oaks Totem gimmes. I guess I can check myself, but are those bankable? I'm trying to remember what I even got now. I know one was bubblespider. I forget the rest.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
The villain team should be tracksuited Eastern European guys who illegally traffic stolen Pokemon.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

thrilla in vanilla posted:

The villain team should be tracksuited Eastern European guys who illegally traffic stolen Pokemon.

I'm going to name my player "The Machine" in honor of this suggestion.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

OhFunny posted:

Nope. X or Y, Omega or Alpha, and US or UM will get you a complete Dex.

For some reason a lot of the older threads were closed at 25 pages. Perhaps forum limitations?

Here's a fun post from 2005:

radium’s code used to fall apart after too many posts in a thread

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

chaosapiant posted:

Because this series has existed since 1996 and has been practically the same formula everytime. I'm not asking for a drastic shake up, but it would be nice to have a little more openness in the design. RBY let you do gyms 3-7 in any order, and GSC let you do gyms 5-7 in any order. It would be nice to have a similar kind of freedom, maybe one that let you challenge gyms in any order.

It also would be nice to not be so railroaded, since part of the game is catching poo poo and making different teams. Since the games are extremely linear right now, you'll always see the same pokemon in the same order every time - it would be nice to have a greater variety of stuff to choose from, and this would mean opening the world up a little bit so you could maybe catch a different thing early.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

mandatory lesbian posted:

Linearity isn't inherently bad and it's an empty criticism to me, it's okay to have to do things in a certain order

Like gen 2 was very non-linear and it ruined the level curve in a major way

I don't think that ruined the level curve. You could do the same thing in RBY and that had a normal level curve. I have no idea why gamefreak maxed out all the trainer pokemon at level 20 (especially all the rocket grunts) but I think it probably had something to do with memory restraints. Gamefreak were having issues with fitting stuff into the game right until the very end, which is why there's tons of cut content. I think this is part of the reason why the Johto routes all end up being tiny, and with the routes being so small, there's only so many trianers you can fit on them, meaning only so much exp the player can get, etc. right to the point where they probably had to scale back wild pokemon levels (you don't want wild pokemon to have higher levels than the trainers on their route!).

Iwata pretty famously came in and optimized the code to the point where they were able to actually fit Kanto in the game, but this came right towards the end of development, and also speaks volumes to the abilities of the other gamefreak developers to handle these limitations. You can see in the GSC betas how they had a full sized Johto planned out, but a lot of the routes and cities end up getting scaled way back, most likely due to these reasons.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solumin posted:

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Zangoose_(Pokémon)

Plate
Jul 5, 2006
Love for the rest of us
Fallen Rib
Flopsy, do you still have that shiny Sylveon? I'd love to nab that and maybe a couple of legendaries if you still have stuff around. Not sure how trading works across the 3DS games, I played Moon but not either of the Ultras. Also I'm in the UK, so unless you are too we'll probably have to figure out a time that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Will there be more UBs do you think