Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So if anyone's watched it, how's the dub of Pokemon 2019 (aka the current season of the anime) so far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Larryb posted:

So if anyone's watched it, how's the dub of Pokemon 2019 (aka the current season of the anime) so far?

The new LA voice actors are excellent and the scripts are very faithful.

Still changing the loving music. Tracks that are from the games (gym and wild battles) are usually kept, and so is Team Rocket's motto music, but not the rest. Any instance of japanese text is erased and left with nothing instead.

Here's Gou finding out about Team Rocket
https://twitter.com/shirt_js/status/1264259537726472193

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

The new LA voice actors are excellent and the scripts are very faithful.

Still changing the loving music. Tracks that are from the games (gym and wild battles) are usually kept, and so is Team Rocket's motto music, but not the rest. Any instance of japanese text is erased and left with nothing instead.

Here's Gou finding out about Team Rocket
https://twitter.com/shirt_js/status/1264259537726472193

So is the same dubbing group that worked on Twilight Wings, the old group with a new set of VA’s, or someone else entirely?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Ehhh....so like...I'm getting poo poo tons of surprise trade shinies in sword and shield now..so uh...if anybody wants em'.....

As an explanation; I'm breeding in sword and shield right now and this is just what happens when you surprise trade long enough.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Larryb posted:

So is the same dubbing group that worked on Twilight Wings, the old group with a new set of VA’s, or someone else entirely?

Yes.

So, it's now a joint thing where the old dubbing group takes care of most of it (like video editing, dub music, etc) but a second studio in LA directs the new talent. Ash, Team Rocket, Oak, etc. are all the same voice actors from the past decade, but Goh, Koharu, Sakuragi and most (if not all) new characters have voice actors from the LA studio.

I think it's a different studio from Twilight Wings, but idk.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

Yes.

So, it's now a joint thing where the old dubbing group takes care of most of it (like video editing, dub music, etc) but a second studio in LA directs the new talent. Ash, Team Rocket, Oak, etc. are all the same voice actors from the past decade, but Goh, Koharu, Sakuragi and most (if not all) new characters have voice actors from the LA studio.

I think it's a different studio from Twilight Wings, but idk.

Gotcha, I haven’t been following the dub for a while but when did they start getting better at actually translating the series properly?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

MorningMoon posted:

Any instance of japanese text is erased and left with nothing instead.

I thought they had already stopped putting Japanese text in the original several years back. Instead using some made up PokeAlphabet so different countries (let's be honest mostly America) wouldn't have to do that anymore.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

galagazombie posted:

I thought they had already stopped putting Japanese text in the original several years back. Instead using some made up PokeAlphabet so different countries (let's be honest mostly America) wouldn't have to do that anymore.

They did but sometimes the dub has still erased the nonsense text.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Larryb posted:

Gotcha, I haven’t been following the dub for a while but when did they start getting better at actually translating the series properly?

I'm pretty sure it was in gen 6. The anime has a huge amount of filler early on it feels like, but it's also pretty solid during the actual plot stuff, the action is vastly improved too.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Elblanco posted:

I'm pretty sure it was in gen 6. The anime has a huge amount of filler early on it feels like, but it's also pretty solid during the actual plot stuff, the action is vastly improved too.

Yeah, I’ve mostly just been sticking with the subbed version but was just curious if the dub had gotten any better recently.

Speaking of which, on top of being better than a lot of the main series recently, Twilight Wings has possibly the best English dub I’ve ever seen in a Pokemon series. A pity there’s only a small handful of episodes left and they’re all a little less than 10 minutes long.

On that note, has there been any word yet as to when the current season is coming back from hiatus?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 26, 2020

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Larryb posted:

On that note, has there been any word yet as to when the current season is coming back from hiatus?

TBD, like most everything else. The hiatus was announced about five weeks ago, now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Peacoffee posted:

TBD, like most everything else. The hiatus was announced about five weeks ago, now.

Well there have been some newspaper articles implying that a lot of Toei’s shows are coming back in early to mid June (such as Sentai, Kamen Rider, and Precure) so it’s possible that other studios will wind up following suit.

Also a few other anime shows have already started back up again and the state of emergency in Tokyo is about to be lifted soon so I don’t imagine it’ll be too terribly long until this comes back now.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

galagazombie posted:

Z-Moves have their name onscreen just like in the games. And now Jessie and James get rad pokemon from a gacha with text on screen like THE TERRIFYING POKEMON - TYRANITAR. Thats what the dub erases and leaves blank.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
On the topic of symbols, the most recent Diamond and Pearl DVDs have restored dub edits where they overwrote Japanese characters with English.

According to bulbapedia this was removed from the DVD but it was in the latest release.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MorningMoon posted:

Z-Moves have their name onscreen just like in the games. And now Jessie and James get rad pokemon from a gacha with text on screen like THE TERRIFYING POKEMON - TYRANITAR. Thats what the dub erases and leaves blank.

I genuinely not get the former beyond mere laziness, considering it makes the anime less true to the games, when the anime exists to sell the games in the first place.

And also Z-Move text is cool as hell and removing it makes the dub worse.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I hate that the anime never showed Heaven-Scorching Light of Destruction and wasted Guardian of Alola on Pikachu

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I really want a hidden ability Dracozolt. So frustrating you can't grind for it.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

So this is the construct I'm planning to roll with for my dragapult and I'd like some feedback on it:

Lonely nature for mixed attack

Infiltrator as the ability

Life orb for item

Dragon dance
Dragon darts
Steel Wing (for coverage and to shore up defense)
Shadow ball for a stable stab special attack

I'd like to know how good this set is because I'm also considering running adamant and replacing shadow ball with phantom force and Life orb for Power herb.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mesadoram posted:

I really want a hidden ability Dracozolt. So frustrating you can't grind for it.

You can’t get those at all yet. Same as Gen 8 starters.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

RatHat posted:

You can’t get those at all yet. Same as Gen 8 starters.

I know :smith:.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
By the way, new mystery gift goodies

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1266157929222287361?s=20

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Oh boy, a... hidden ability... Galarian Ponyta.

friggan useless anticipation, why are you even in the dang game

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The Golux posted:

The balls are nice though.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

RatHat posted:

The balls are nice though.

For one absolutely insane second I thought you were talking about horse balls. I need to go to bed now.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 30, 2020

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Flopsy posted:

For one absolutely insane second I thought you were talking about horse balls. I need to go to bed now.

The pokeballs are pretty nice too.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

beast's balls

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The Golux posted:

Why did they give it a hidden ability that's worse than Pastel Veil?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Because, logic.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Sometimes they just spin a wheel and give the pokemon whatever the wheel lands on I think.

I missed participating in the tournament to get an Ultra Ball Guy t-shirt. Not by a few days, either. It was weeks ago. I need to pay more attention.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm still miffed they took Mega Evolution out. maybe it comes out in Pokemon Gun this fall

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Thanks for this! I got the Mr. Mime one and the first set of rare balls, but didn't realize the second set had dropped. Now I have more Fashion Balls!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/anipoke_PR/status/1266866984760651777

The anime will return on June 7th

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Out of curiosity which is the better ability on Perrserker: Tough Claws or Steely Spirit?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Flopsy posted:

Out of curiosity which is the better ability on Perrserker: Tough Claws or Steely Spirit?

Depends on if you're going for Singles or Doubles

In Singles, Tough Claws is a fantastic ability as it makes all contact moves hit harder and Perrserker learns quite a few of those.

In Doubles, Steely Spirit is incredible as not only does it power up ally's steel type moves, but also its own, so both Pokemon can hit harder with Steel moves.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zuzie posted:

Depends on if you're going for Singles or Doubles

In Singles, Tough Claws is a fantastic ability as it makes all contact moves hit harder and Perrserker learns quite a few of those.

In Doubles, Steely Spirit is incredible as not only does it power up ally's steel type moves, but also its own, so both Pokemon can hit harder with Steel moves.

Hmm...do you have a personal recommendation? Sorry I just find it really hard to choose. Also do you want a shiny? Cuz' I'm starting to get a bit full up here.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Steely Spirit is ridiculous in raids since it stacks with itself. 4 Perrserkers can kill basically anything weak to steel in 2-3 turns.

See Mohn
Oct 28, 2010

RatHat posted:

Steely Spirit is ridiculous in raids since it stacks with itself. 4 Perrserkers can kill basically anything weak to steel in 2-3 turns.

I feel like every time I open a Pokemon thread I find out some really interesting trick that I'd have never thought of otherwise and this is a prime example of that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

We're getting more DLC info tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1267441146638278657

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I'm going to be honest, I'm fully expecting the Isle of Armor DLC to be delayed until fall or something, and Crown Tundra to be delayed to like next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I feel like they could've delayed it last month, but setting off the month of free pokemon leading to the DLC's date makes me think it's pretty much a lock. Frozen Tundra tho, that I expect on December or later.