Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

I don't suppose you have a Duraludon in a Heavy Ball?

Hmm....no unfortunately. Do you want a shiny or just a duraludon in heavy ball because I can catch and breed you one if you want.

Also I can give you list of the available shinies have if that would help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Flopsy posted:

Hmm....no unfortunately. Do you want a shiny or just a duraludon in heavy ball because I can catch and breed you one if you want.

Also I can give you list of the available shinies have if that would help?

I just want a Duraludon in a Heavy Ball. I stupidly lost my one Heavy Ball because I didn't save before trying to catch a G-Max one.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I did the same with a Snorlax because I stupidly saw all the different ways of getting another heavy ball and didn't think it was a big deal. Meanwhile the Cram-o-matic has NEVER given me anything good from apricorns and Mr Pokeball has never given me anything but god drat wishing pieces for winning the tournament.

Give us more Pokeballs, you dinks, and the ability to change them even after a Pokemon is caught. Even if it's just "standard Pokeball but purple" etc, I'd be all over that.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Diet Poison posted:

I did the same with a Snorlax because I stupidly saw all the different ways of getting another heavy ball and didn't think it was a big deal. Meanwhile the Cram-o-matic has NEVER given me anything good from apricorns and Mr Pokeball has never given me anything but god drat wishing pieces for winning the tournament.

Give us more Pokeballs, you dinks, and the ability to change them even after a Pokemon is caught. Even if it's just "standard Pokeball but purple" etc, I'd be all over that.

You just described my last and most fervent wish for this series. As it stands I'm gathering up 999 of each apricorn to improve my chances. Yes it's taking me weeks.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Diet Poison posted:

Mr Pokeball has never given me anything but god drat wishing pieces for winning the tournament.

Ball Guy always gives you a Wishing Piece for your first tournament win of each day, and then a random item from the round things table for each subsequent victory until midnight.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I've been making Dracovish using a turbo controller in batches of 100 for the last two days. Probably made 2800-3000 so far. Still no shiny.
:negative:

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

RatHat posted:

Which gens? The shiny rate was doubled at one point.

I only had the foreign ditto part from X, and tried again in OR. And then Moon and Ultra Moon I had the charm too, so I got serious and tried hundreds of eggs in each with no results. And finally in Sword it worked.

And yeah, I figured it would be solely because they took the standard rate down from ~8,000 to ~4,000 or something. Either way, I'm happy to finally have some kind of pay off for the effort. Even if they just hand them away now.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

AlternateNu posted:

I've been making Dracovish using a turbo controller in batches of 100 for the last two days. Probably made 2800-3000 so far. Still no shiny.

I thought Dracovish couldn't breed

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Bongo Bill posted:

Ball Guy always gives you a Wishing Piece for your first tournament win of each day, and then a random item from the round things table for each subsequent victory until midnight.

Oh well thanks for explaining that... if the tournament wasn't so gently caress-boring I might have figured that out on my own but GameFreak gonna GameFreak. I can't see myself ever bothering with it again unless a patch fixes it so all Pokemon are set to Lv 50 or 100.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Nodosaur posted:

I thought Dracovish couldn't breed

It can't
You get a pile of fossils, make a bunch of them, see if any are shiny, and if they aren't you reset and try again.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Kurieg posted:

It can't
You get a pile of fossils, make a bunch of them, see if any are shiny, and if they aren't you reset and try again.

ah. Makes sense.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Ugh, I really want a HA Dracozolt. Wonder when they will do like a raid or mystery gift to get one...

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Mesadoram posted:

Ugh, I really want a HA Dracozolt. Wonder when they will do like a raid or mystery gift to get one...

Ostensibly you'll be able to use the HA ability capsule in Crown Tundra to get it.

I've done the fossil redeeming now to get shiny Arctozolt and Dracovish, and am working on redeeming the other two. I think I was fairly lucky, probably between 1600 and 2000 redemptions for each. Shiny charm/Masuda doesn't work on them, which sucks.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Flopsy posted:

You just described my last and most fervent wish for this series. As it stands I'm gathering up 999 of each apricorn to improve my chances. Yes it's taking me weeks.

On a related note I want a way to catch fossil mons in the wild so I can get them in stuff besides a standard ball. You don't even have to remove the part where you make them from fossils you find. Just have whoever you give the fossils to add them to something like the Pal Park or Entree Forest instead of just handing them to you. You can even make it a Jurassic Park joke.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Hrist posted:

I tried with max odds for a few gens with no results. And then in Sword max odds gave me a shiny egg after 20 minutes. It'll happen quicker than you think this gen.

You weren't kidding. After a couple days of trying for Cubone, I got one last night. Then I tried 2 other Pokemon and got shiny versions of both last night.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Is it still bad?

depends. quality of life improvements are there for sure, and the game's story cutscenes and presentation is just as charming as before. theres virtually no more co-op content, and theres not much to do between easy story content and difficult end-game content. also its still a gacha so if your luck is bad you dont get who you want so if gacha is bad in your book the game is bad

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

galagazombie posted:

On a related note I want a way to catch fossil mons in the wild so I can get them in stuff besides a standard ball. You don't even have to remove the part where you make them from fossils you find. Just have whoever you give the fossils to add them to something like the Pal Park or Entree Forest instead of just handing them to you. You can even make it a Jurassic Park joke.

Oh poo poo son, same. it's pretty blatant they cut that idea from Sun and Moon too which absolutely sucks.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 9, 2020

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

AlternateNu posted:

Add another 1000 to the pile and still no shiny.

I'm beginning to think this gen doesn't want me to get shinies without blatantly cheating.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

This fandom is full of assholes.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

This fandom is full of assholes.

Imagine being this much of a massive oval office to go out your way to harass this poor woman. Over what? loving Ash Ketchum, fucksakes....

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

all fandoms are full of assholes maybe just ignore them instead of spreading their bullshit

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Can anyone help me do a quick trade to evolve my Feebas? I can trade something else back for it if you need something to fill out your dex.

edit: dm me if anyone is interested

Hrist fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 10, 2020

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
The mechanics of encore have been changed apparently, and frustratingly. The way encore previously worked

The turn you receive the encore:
If the pokemon has not moved yet, they are encored into whatever move they use that turn.
If the pokemon using encore is faster, the target is encored into the move they used on the previous turn.
If the pokemon using encore is slower, the target is encored into the move they use on that turn (before the encore.)

The turn encore ends, if encore is used again:
REGARDLESS OF SPEED, THE ENCORE APPLIES TO THE NEW MOVE THE TARGET SELECTED ON THAT TURN. Meaning you can always select a new move on the turn the encore ends.

So in gen8 you can be indefinitely encored into a move by a faster pokemon (which is beyond annoying if they also have shadow tag.) Also running out of PP during encore ends the encore now, whereas encore used to cause the pokemon to struggle until the encore ended. Battle tower never ceases to annoy. Looking at you bright powder Unfezant with attract featherdance roost. :argh:

Does encore + torment still make a pokemon struggle?

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, I'm pretty sure Encore has worked that way for longer than just SwSh, or I wouldn't have memories of grip claw infestation/encore/swords dance/baton pass Ledian in my head for some reason

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm glad they improved how encore worked.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Today another bunch of leaks. Most notably is the cancelled Pokemon Picross for Gameboy Color/Super Gameboy (would have been a black cartridge)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N-vdi3A_vE

They only put Generation I Pokemon and locations in the game, so no weird woopers.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
I guess I just need to figure out how to abuse that really annoying encore change. I didn't do much in Gen6/7 beyond finish the game.

Feels like a different game in how badly my once viable Curse/Yawn spamming umbreon is doing in battle tower singles. I wonder how a toxic orb breloom or gliscor would fair at walling. Does toxic not turn into regular poison anymore if you switch out? If I use an ability capsule, can I change a hidden ability to a regular ability? Hate how every gigantamax sandaconda I catch is always going to have the hidden ability (sand veil) instead of sand spit or shed skin which are actually useful.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Sanctum posted:

The mechanics of encore have been changed apparently, and frustratingly. The way encore previously worked

The turn you receive the encore:
If the pokemon has not moved yet, they are encored into whatever move they use that turn.
If the pokemon using encore is faster, the target is encored into the move they used on the previous turn.
If the pokemon using encore is slower, the target is encored into the move they use on that turn (before the encore.)

The turn encore ends, if encore is used again:
REGARDLESS OF SPEED, THE ENCORE APPLIES TO THE NEW MOVE THE TARGET SELECTED ON THAT TURN. Meaning you can always select a new move on the turn the encore ends.

So in gen8 you can be indefinitely encored into a move by a faster pokemon (which is beyond annoying if they also have shadow tag.) Also running out of PP during encore ends the encore now, whereas encore used to cause the pokemon to struggle until the encore ended. Battle tower never ceases to annoy. Looking at you bright powder Unfezant with attract featherdance roost. :argh:

I can't parse this post. You end your first paragraph with "the way encore previously worked", which suggests that the two paragraphs that follow constitute a description of how encore worked in previous generations. But then the 4th paragraph begins in a conclusory tone with what appears to be a description of the consequences of a purported change in gen 8. The wording there only makes sense if you'd described how encore works in gen 8 in addition to having described how it worked in earlier generations, which as far as I can tell, you didn't.

Bulbapedia is a bit unclear on whether it changed in gen 8. They don't have a heading for gen 8, only for gen 7, yet there is a paragraph under the gen 7 heading clarifying how it works in relation to dynamax pokemon, which is nonsense because dynamax wasn't in gen 7.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Hammerite posted:

I can't parse this post. You end your first paragraph with "the way encore previously worked", which suggests that the two paragraphs that follow constitute a description of how encore worked in previous generations. But then the 4th paragraph begins in a conclusory tone with what appears to be a description of the consequences of a purported change in gen 8. The wording there only makes sense if you'd described how encore works in gen 8 in addition to having described how it worked in earlier generations, which as far as I can tell, you didn't.

Bulbapedia is a bit unclear on whether it changed in gen 8. They don't have a heading for gen 8, only for gen 7, yet there is a paragraph under the gen 7 heading clarifying how it works in relation to dynamax pokemon, which is nonsense because dynamax wasn't in gen 7.
I was describing how encore worked in Gen5 and then followed that by describing how those mechanics differ from the encore mechanics in the current gen. Namely that the current gen allows you to be 'encored' into the same move continuously until you run out of moves if you are slower than the pokemon using encore every 4 turns. That's new to me. Used to be you could always select a new move on the turn that encore expired even if you were slower than the pokemon using encore.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Sanctum posted:

I was describing how encore worked in Gen5 and then followed that by describing how those mechanics differ from the encore mechanics in the current gen. Namely that the current gen allows you to be 'encored' into the same move continuously until you run out of moves if you are slower than the pokemon using encore every 4 turns. That's new to me. Used to be you could always select a new move on the turn that encore expired even if you were slower than the pokemon using encore.

If I understand correctly, the word "so" that begins your 4th paragraph was meant to be interpreted as meaning something like "however", "alas", or "behold"? I think that in such a context the only viable interpretation of "so" is that it means "thus". Which makes your post impossible to follow as I remarked previously.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Smogon's got descriptions for each generation.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I know in Gen 7 Encore could lock someone into a move until they switched. Basically it works as a pseudo-psuedo-Haze and is much more versatile. I guess in Gen 5 you couldn't use it to punish set-up.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I’ve got a Pokémon itch, my son who is 11 says all the youtubers are mean to sword and shield. Should I buy the game?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

funmanguy posted:

I’ve got a Pokémon itch, my son who is 11 says all the youtubers are mean to sword and shield. Should I buy the game?

You get more out of playing a game that's current, even if there are things about it that earlier games did better.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

You get more out of playing a game that's current, even if there are things about it that earlier games did better.

unless you don't care about that stuff, in which case you can just play whichever one you want

swsh is definitely more about the online aspect than previous games and if you play it years later it won't be quite the same, but if you're not super into pokemon then you should just play the one you're most interested in.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

funmanguy posted:

they've got a bunch of problems and the campaign kind of falls apart towards the end but if you haven't played a Pokemon game in ages you'll probably really enjoy it. it can be fun and has a lot of cute little friends in it and there are some nice, twee touches to the whole PokéUK thing

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The hard part about recommending Pokemon titles to people is that they're spread across so many systems across so many years, and unlike pretty much any other big franchise they don't get ported. Gen 3, 4, and 5, which are the ones most consider the best and thus recommend, are all only playable across multiple decades old machines and can cost up to a $100 dollars a copy. Even Gen 1 and 2, which are the only entries to ever get ports, are only on a no longer supported system whose Eshop might be taken down at any moment.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

funmanguy posted:

YouTubers survive on clicks and faux-outrage. I loved Sword and you should definitely play it. If you don't feel like spending the full $60, you can probably pick up a copy for $40-50 on SA-Mart or Facebook Marketplace.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

funmanguy posted:

notthegoatseguy posted:

YouTubers survive on clicks and faux-outrage. I loved Sword and you should definitely play it.

I hated Sword. Hated everything about it: graphics/animation, game design itself, most of the new Pokemon, the lack of story and proper plotting, the culling of the dex, and even the music (usually a high point) is just there.

But I hate all of those aspects because I play every single game in this stupid series and I know how much better it could have been if those directing it gave a poo poo. I'd hope those in charge would be replaced by more promising talent, but the game sold so much that this will not be happening any time soon.

Anyway, all of that to say this:

For anyone just coming back from not playing in a decade or more? They will likely enjoy it, maybe even love it. There's a bunch of high points and for those who haven't played in a while, all the QoL adjustments made in the last generations will surprise. So, yeah, check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

p much yeah