Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hammerite posted:

well lol @ me and lol @ serebii, why aren't those pages synchronised to a single data store? he just goes around updating every page in his sprawling website independently? lesson learned, deleted my bookmark for the serebii page and bookmarked the bulbanews front page in its place.

I've noticed the serebii site will have the front page pretty up to date for stuff like this and events. But the actual events page itself will have stuff listed as current, even if it ended 5 months ago. So it's probably like that for every page on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

In New Snap is there a surefire way to select which pokemon you want to be the "subject"? I keep taking pictures of multiple ones and the one I want to be the focus often isn't. I thought it'd be like wiggle the finder around it but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

God New Snap is just hitting all the right notes for me. Especially with the photo editor, you can make so many dumb things in it, I love it.

https://twitter.com/BlazeDragonET/status/1388273877801787394
https://twitter.com/BlazeDragonET/status/1388275056879411201

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I've been busy with work today so I haven't been able to play much of New Snap but what I've played of it I love. I missed Emolga the first time through the park, the little bastard, he's just so quick and I wasn't expecting him.

I think my favorite change is now you're no longer penalized if the Pokemon isn't looking directly at the camera, all my shots of Grooky were from the back and I still did fine pointwise.

Also someone said the different poses were what the stars represented? So like, "nice and calm" I guess is one star, and then them doing something else is two? And to unlock more stuff, you have to get a picture of Pokemon for every star level, that sounds complicated. Also are the presents for titles just cosmetic stuff or something? Some of them seem like they might be a pain, but I won't stress about it if it's not something particularly important.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Twelve by Pies posted:

I've been busy with work today so I haven't been able to play much of New Snap but what I've played of it I love. I missed Emolga the first time through the park, the little bastard, he's just so quick and I wasn't expecting him.

I think my favorite change is now you're no longer penalized if the Pokemon isn't looking directly at the camera, all my shots of Grooky were from the back and I still did fine pointwise.

Also someone said the different poses were what the stars represented? So like, "nice and calm" I guess is one star, and then them doing something else is two? And to unlock more stuff, you have to get a picture of Pokemon for every star level, that sounds complicated. Also are the presents for titles just cosmetic stuff or something? Some of them seem like they might be a pain, but I won't stress about it if it's not something particularly important.

Yeah, its usually just capturing more unusual behavior gets more stars with 4 stars being difficult/unique stuff like catching Emolga while its electrocuting berries etc.

The game is charming as hell. Also lol that Lental is the region where everyone only weara capris.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

God New Snap is just hitting all the right notes for me. Especially with the photo editor, you can make so many dumb things in it, I love it.

https://twitter.com/BlazeDragonET/status/1388273877801787394
https://twitter.com/BlazeDragonET/status/1388275056879411201

another person of culture and taste, i see

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Hammerite posted:

well lol @ me and lol @ serebii, why aren't those pages synchronised to a single data store? he just goes around updating every page in his sprawling website independently? lesson learned, deleted my bookmark for the serebii page and bookmarked the bulbanews front page in its place.

Serebii's site is old and creaky and full of half-finished pages and layouts that are in desperate need of updating.

Main page is fine though.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
So I know Pokemon Snap speedruns are kind of a meme category, but eventually I think it'd be really fun to watch some "optimal" runs through these courses to get the highest overall score in one go.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

New Pokémon Snap owns

https://twitter.com/kotexfitts/status/1388320541551972354?s=21

Look at this poo poo. Incredible.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Kinda sorta spoilers about stuff a bit over an hour in
really like the boss battles. Done 3 so far. Was extremely disappointed in Phil, tho! He comes in after finding out that meganium was a boss encounter, so my brain went "...if this photography game has loving bosses then this kid is your VERGIL." and idk how that'd even work, but i wanted it to be so.

game slaps. Volcano is my favorite area so far

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I show the professor a picture of a glowing Swanna and he doesn't give two shits about it! But oh, sure, start freaking out about the dinosaur, why not.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
There's a lot more content in this game than I was expecting.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah though a fair bit of it does feel like forced reruns. Since you can only get one picture evaluated per Pokemon per run, if there's a Pokemon that only appears in one stage, you have to run it at least 4 times.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I don't mind that so much, my only criticism is that it's a little stingy with progression - I've often found myself a few thousand points short of getting rank 2 first attempt and the progression feels a little slow because of it

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
https://twitter.com/mfcrocker/status/1388427928468295685?s=19

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Overnight I got over 500 sweet medals on that Bidoof picture, this rules

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I'm kind of confused about the requests. At first I thought they were just hints on how to get different star level pictures, but one of them has a gift attached to it and there's a count of completion so you must be able to do them. Except I'm not sure how. I got pictures of Torterra yawning and Hoothoot's second foot but it didn't complete the requests so I don't know what the gently caress.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm kind of confused about the requests. At first I thought they were just hints on how to get different star level pictures, but one of them has a gift attached to it and there's a count of completion so you must be able to do them. Except I'm not sure how. I got pictures of Torterra yawning and Hoothoot's second foot but it didn't complete the requests so I don't know what the gently caress.

If you get the request after you already got the picture, you have to take it again.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I think it also has to be the picture you submit for grading.

I do like the game but yes it feels like a lot of "run this whole course to get one picture. Hope you got it in time!"

I don't guess there's like an option once the story is done to be able to stop the vehicle is there?

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
Not that I've seen, but you do move slower both when you're looking behind you and when you have your camera zoomed in. Also you eventually get the speed boost feature from the original Snap so if you know what you're going for you can always speed straight to it to get the shot then leave.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

If you get the request after you already got the picture, you have to take it again.

Humerus posted:

I think it also has to be the picture you submit for grading.

Ah okay, thank you for that, I was able to get a couple done this time.

So with courses with multiple paths, is there a way to choose which path you take or is it random each time? Because for Pokemon that only appear on one path, that seems like it might get irritating if you run into a bit of bad RNG.

The Illumina Spots seem like hell to max out research level on too since you get so few points each run.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
I believe the main path changes happen depending on what research level you're using on the course (which you can change before you start back to 1 from 2 for example), and some courses have minor path changes that you have to scan and choose before you move too far past it.

Speaking of Illumina pokemon and research levels, more kinds of pokemon show up during the Illumina courses after rank 1, so you can get a lot more points in one go.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I got rank 2 on the first Illumina spot and well I guess people care about spoilers in this? So I unlocked Eevee in the course but I'm still only getting like 2-3k points per run and it's like 30k to level up which is just grindy for no real reason.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

I got rank 2 on the first Illumina spot and well I guess people care about spoilers in this? So I unlocked Eevee in the course but I'm still only getting like 2-3k points per run and it's like 30k to level up which is just grindy for no real reason.

Theres a third pokemon near the end but yeah, im seemingly gonna need to do the course 12 nore tikes for rank 3?

Anyway
https://twitter.com/morningmoonmeme/status/1388610547734618112?s=19

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I haven't found the third one, I'm not sure what to do. There's a request from Rita that's like "He stops and looks around, maybe he's looking for a friend?" but I don't see anything and the scan doesn't pick up anything, I just assumed I needed a new ability I'd get later or something, or that it would show up at rank 3, but if you're still not at rank 3 and you've found it then I must be doing something wrong.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

I haven't found the third one, I'm not sure what to do. There's a request from Rita that's like "He stops and looks around, maybe he's looking for a friend?" but I don't see anything and the scan doesn't pick up anything, I just assumed I needed a new ability I'd get later or something, or that it would show up at rank 3, but if you're still not at rank 3 and you've found it then I must be doing something wrong.

Heres what to do: chuck apples at the last tree
It was absolute luck that i got that while putzing around

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Pokemon snap is very good but I need a spoiler: is my favorite Pokemon, Gastrdon, in?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

MorningMoon posted:

Heres what to do: chuck apples at the last tree
It was absolute luck that i got that while putzing around

There's a timing thing to this I swear. I did that, got the Hoothoot out of the tree, snapped a photo with Hoothoot and Meganium with Meganium as the focus and I got nothing. Do I need to wait until Meganium stops at the tree to get them to reunite or...?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Leraika’s favorite Pokémon is not in this.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm pretty sure that the research xp you gain is exactly equal to the amount you increase your photodex total score by. At least, that's seemed to be the case as I've done the lab over and over and over trying to hit level 2 (and not being particularly close because it's a really high threshold, necessitating finding a lot of the rare photos).

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

I think the level two Meganium area also has Comfey? I'm not sure if you have to do something, or if it was just from lighting up one of the Crystablooms in the area.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I’m so tempted to look up how to get 3 and 4 star pictures, but I’m having a lot of fun trying to figure out how the different items interact with the Pokémon. Maybe after I get like 80% of the photodex done I’ll look up how to get the remainder.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Leraika’s favorite Pokémon is not in this.

Oh well, plenty of my other favorites are.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

widespread posted:

There's a timing thing to this I swear. I did that, got the Hoothoot out of the tree, snapped a photo with Hoothoot and Meganium with Meganium as the focus and I got nothing. Do I need to wait until Meganium stops at the tree to get them to reunite or...?

There must be because that's not even what i'm talking about lol on the purple tree at the end, i can get 4 female Combees to come out.
if nothing else, i like that there's some obtuse as gently caress things in the game so folks can share tidbits

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

My favorite Pokemon are Goomy, Mareep Sentret and Furrett, how many counts am I going to be disappointed on?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Twelve by Pies posted:

My favorite Pokemon are Goomy, Mareep Sentret and Furrett, how many counts am I going to be disappointed on?

I've seen one of those (though my pokedex isn't complete, so maybe more than one is in)

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

MorningMoon posted:

There must be because that's not even what i'm talking about lol on the purple tree at the end, i can get 4 female Combees to come out.
if nothing else, i like that there's some obtuse as gently caress things in the game so folks can share tidbits

Oh definitely, though I saw the beach zone streamed and how prominent Machamp is in both beach and reef areas.

Also isn't it five Combee before the Hoothoot or

Though eff it, gonna come back to that later.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

cheetah7071 posted:

I've seen one of those (though my pokedex isn't complete, so maybe more than one is in)

Just the one.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Liar Lyre posted:

I’m so tempted to look up how to get 3 and 4 star pictures, but I’m having a lot of fun trying to figure out how the different items interact with the Pokémon. Maybe after I get like 80% of the photodex done I’ll look up how to get the remainder.

Yeah don’t worry about it. You’ll figure many of them out pretty easily.

I’m in a weird spot where I can’t figure out how to get 2 star photos of a few pokemon. I can get 3 and 4 but not 2. Hell, I’m still not sure I know how to get a 1 Star ducklett.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Seems like most 1 stars are just the Pokémon doing nothing, just vibing. 2 stars are feeding or bopping or using the scan to get their attention. If you don’t have a low star picture, try going back to a lower research level when they’re all still skittish.