Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Leraika posted:

This actually looks pretty cool. How well typeshifted are the xenoverse mons? Has care been put into their stats and movepool, or is it more like the insurgence deltamon where their movepool is more like their original and not really suited to their new stats/typing?

In most cases it's pretty good. Dragon/Psychic Gengar X is still able to put together a good special moveset, it does have enough of a physical attack and gets physical attacks if you wanna try pushing a mixed set. I would say the main issue is a lot of pokemon sorta just... don't have coverage.

Galvantula X is basically regular Galv except with Blizzard instead of Thunder. It works fine... but it really doesn't have a lot of moves it learns. And then it gets Refrigerate as a special ability, oh coo- Oh right, Sound Exists, so... the only Special Normal move is Hyper Beam. Where the problem with Sound is.

A lot of them tend to redo their stats or fit new niches. Rapidash X becomes a Darmantian Zen mode, going from Flying to Electric and boosting its special. Very good special attacker. Elekid X is such a bonkers good pokemon it's absurd they basically give it to you for free.

By the way, advice, reset on that encounter until it's holding a Xenolith, which is an evolution item for some Xeno pokemon.

Cofagrigus X being Water/Rock was really fun, gets Shell Smash, gets really good moves. Honestly, some of the new Pokemon have terrible movesets. Madieval Is a Fairy/Rock Physical attacking wall who uh... learns nothing but Special Fairy moves. With a terrible Special attack stat.

I like the Fakemon and X mon designs so much that I exclusively use them the same way I exclusively use a new gen's pokemon when I play a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Onmi posted:

Elekid X is such a bonkers good pokemon it's absurd they basically give it to you for free.

I stopped using Elekid X when I stopped and thought 'wait, a fire-type Elekid is just a Magby. So a fire type Electabuzz is just a Magmar and an Electabuzz etc...'
I was very wrong. More like Fire/Electric Type with levitate.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

If I were to play both Y and Alpha Sapphire back-to-back, which order would be best? Y first? I can still transfer Pokemon between those games, yeah?

Y first.

Yes, but you'll need pokebank on the ds iirc, or two ds's and carts to manually trade. Not sure if bank does a 30 day free trial still or not.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 5, 2021

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

you might be racing the clock!!

https://twitter.com/Lewchube/status/1389693313473814529

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

ChrisBTY posted:

Also I bought New Pokemon Snap. I've now that I've unlocked all the maps and whatnot (I think)and I'm now sad because I have 120 requests and I've finished 12 of them. It's supposed to be a chill game but I feel like a drat failure. And it's a game where I don't want to look up the answers because I feel like it kills the point. Unless there are requests that unlock gameplay features. Are there any?

You can unlock some frames/stickers/photo filters by doing requests, any requests that have those as rewards have a little gift box in the bottom corner. I don't think filling requests does anything on a gameplay level, most of them seem to be hints as to how to get higher rarity photos.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

One more thing about Xenoverse I "love". The last boss is Ice/Ground. There is no thematic reason for said pokemon to be Ice/Ground. I am 100% convinced the only reason it is Ice/Ground is so you can't kill it with weather damage. Because it has 5 life bars. And it turns out when you have 5 life bars weather damage becomes massive.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I have now taken pictures of all the pokemon. I was missing about 7 beyond the ones I asked for help for but I managed to find them on my own

Still only about 2/3 done with the photodex though, and only halfway or less done with 4*s

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Franchescanado posted:

If I were to play both Y and Alpha Sapphire back-to-back, which order would be best? Y first? I can still transfer Pokemon between those games, yeah?

I played Omega Ruby before X, and I wish I had done it the other way around because X was noticeably weaker than OR.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I liked ORAS a lot less than XY personally so your mileage may vary. I don't think they're so different that order will really matter

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oras is the peak of the series, all other installments will seem hamstrung in some way in comparison

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Super No Vacancy posted:

oras is the peak of the series, all other installments will seem hamstrung in some way in comparison

UM AKSHUALLY I think you mean gen 5. :smug:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
ORAS had a lot of great mechanics but unfortunately Hoenn kinda sucks and you can't get one without the other

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Super No Vacancy posted:

i prefer heart gold but oras was really good it's true

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm gonna be real here

Hoenn is good.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m playing through soulsilver right now and I’m sorta stuck.

I’m headed into ilex forest, and I understand that when you do that, your rival is supposed to appear for a battle, and then when you get into the forest, there is supposed to be someone standing just north of where you enter, to start the process of learning cut.

Neither of these things are happening. I can just waltz in without seeing my rival, and the forest is uninhabited.

Did I miss something before this? Is my game bugged out?

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m playing through soulsilver right now and I’m sorta stuck.

I’m headed into ilex forest, and I understand that when you do that, your rival is supposed to appear for a battle, and then when you get into the forest, there is supposed to be someone standing just north of where you enter, to start the process of learning cut.

Neither of these things are happening. I can just waltz in without seeing my rival, and the forest is uninhabited.

Did I miss something before this? Is my game bugged out?
Did you do slowpoke well and the gym?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No, slowpoke well was blocked by a dude and I figured I’d need to find out how to unblock it in the town or forest

Hmmmmmm

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
ORAS was complete poop and came close to putting me off the series forever.

The jury is out on if Sw/Sh finished the job

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
If you played HG/SS after figuring out it had the exact some pokemon distribution AND level curve issues the originals did and still bought more pokemon games you deserve whatever garbage they sling out.

Myself included.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

If you played HG/SS after figuring out it had the exact some pokemon distribution AND level curve issues the originals did and still bought more pokemon games you deserve whatever garbage they sling out.

Myself included.

I dunno, Sun and Moon were pretty great and definitely made up for how "okay" Gen 6 was. Gen 8...was definitely a miss rather than a hit, but hey, we finally got a New Snap and it rocks.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Black 2 is the best pokemon game

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Black/White 2 were the pinnacle of the series and I'm sad we'll never get the PWT ever again.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Switching to 3D ruined the series.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Switching to 3D ruined the series.

In their hearts everyone knows this is true

Twelve by Pies posted:

Black/White 2 were the pinnacle of the series and I'm sad we'll never get the PWT ever again.

It's what got me back into the series after how much I disliked Pearl and Diamond, I had such high hopes after seeing how great Black 2 was. So much content. And then gamefreak realized people will buy anything with the Pokemon name slapped on it and went full mediocre.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

BlazeBlack/VoltWhite 2 or bust.

Also, I like that Pokemon is true to the videogame trope of the sewer level being terrible.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

No, slowpoke well was blocked by a dude and I figured I’d need to find out how to unblock it in the town or forest

Hmmmmmm

Have you met Kurt yet? His house is the one top right of the Pokemon Center.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
e: this isn't the AEW thread

also bw2 best games

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 6, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Myself included.

but then you would've missed out on Gen 5, the best one

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

ChrisBTY posted:

One more thing about Xenoverse I "love". The last boss is Ice/Ground. There is no thematic reason for said pokemon to be Ice/Ground. I am 100% convinced the only reason it is Ice/Ground is so you can't kill it with weather damage. Because it has 5 life bars. And it turns out when you have 5 life bars weather damage becomes massive.

Huh, if it has multiple bars it shouldn't be TOO hard to set it up like with dynamax, so that percentage things go off percentage of base value/one health bad

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/Sawmill_Thrill/status/1390077992932724739

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

4* Pyukumuku is a fun as hell picture.

I still don't have 3* Vespiquen or any idea how to get it, all the obvious stuff (Melody player, Illumina orb, bopping it) doesn't work. I'm also at a loss as to how to lure out the Pokemon under the porch at the research station.

I still haven't unlocked night for the reef and beach levels. He keeps saying he wants a photo of the lit up crystabloom but there isn't any way to get it without that, unless there's one underwater that I'm missing.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Re: your last thing. It's underwater, but also kind of a pain to photograph. Just hit the scanner and it'll tell you where it is, even if you can't see it.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm also at a loss as to how to lure out the Pokemon under the porch at the research station.
Luring Meowth over there with apples makes it chase a Rattata out, but I haven't managed to figure out what exactly you're supposed to do then to fulfil the request. Just taking a photo didn't seem to work.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I still haven't unlocked night for the reef and beach levels. He keeps saying he wants a photo of the lit up crystabloom but there isn't any way to get it without that, unless there's one underwater that I'm missing.
There is. You can see it with scan, but there's a Pokemon (A Finneon or Lumineon, I think?) on top of it you have to get to move before you can take a picture. It's on the righthand path, if you've unlocked the first fork, which is also the default path.

That won't unlock night, though. You get those later, at separate, kind of arbitrary times. I think it unlocks the Illumina spot for that area.

E: Beaten on the second thing.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
For the research lab's under the deck: gotta get a photo of ratatta with meowth in it as well. or maybe of meowth with the rat. It's easiest to look on the opposite side, between the houses and the fire pit and catch them as they go

Bounsweet's fantastic journey is probably my fave so far.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

That crystabloom was actually easy to find, I just didn't realize it was lit up since usually you have to be in a night level, and the seaweed kind of hides that it's lit too. So I got the Illumina spot but I still haven't unlocked night for the other two areas of that island despite both of them being level 3.

Also the snowfields are my favorite level now.

Shwoo posted:

Luring Meowth over there with apples makes it chase a Rattata out, but I haven't managed to figure out what exactly you're supposed to do then to fulfil the request. Just taking a photo didn't seem to work.

Ugh, luring Pokemon with apples in this one is so finicky and a pain. I'm like 99% sure that there's a Sandygast on the beach since there's the red shovel, and there's a request to lure Pikachu to the shovel, but that yellow bastard just won't go to the shovel fast enough. I really wish it was more like the first game where Pokemon would immediately drop what they were doing and run as fast as they could to the apple. It would make things so much better.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Twelve by Pies posted:

I really wish it was more like the first game where Pokemon would immediately drop what they were doing and run as fast as they could to the apple. It would make things so much better.

Also being able to spam-throw them too. Tossing Illumina Orbs is NOT a precise thing like the game wants it to be.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
luring with fruit isn't as bad as it seems at first, though it takes some getting used to. The hard part is getting the pokemon to care about fruit in the first place, but once you pull that off, you can throw fruit in a chain going where you want and they'll follow the full chain (as long as they aren't too far apart) without stopping to eat each fruit. When they reach a fruit, they check if there's a newer fruit nearby, and if so, go to that one instead of eating

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Playing Snap has kicked up my interest in playing some of the main games I skipped over, namely Black and White and its sequels.

I see I can grab emulator copies on ebay that have like 5 games in one cart, does anyone have experience with those? Also, is it worth playing through B/W or just jumping right to the sequels?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the first ones are better but in the second ones you can fight a giant set of gams that try to stomp on you so it's toss up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
B/W 1 has a better core, especially plotwise. B2/W2 has the biggest batch of extra content without having a battle frontier.