Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mr Newsman posted:

So I just maxed out my boxes in Pokemon Sword.

What's the best way to go through them and figure out what's worth saving? Toss anything that's bad IV? There's so many combos of IVs and moves and abilities that I don't think there's any way for me to know if I'm trashing something that's worth keeping.

That said I don't do any competitive battling or whatever so it probably doesn't matter one little bit.

You maxed out all 32 boxes!?

If you don't do competitive battling I would just throw out the lowest level of any duplicates, and make sure to keep anything rare (like authentic Sinisteas, even though it's much easier to name the Impotsters)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
I just catch everything and haven't cleaned out my boxes. Figured I'd be able to just overwrite my old Pokemon with new ones if I wanted but it just doesn't let you catch anymore once they're full.

Urgh definitely don't want to go through all of them since at least 80% is garbage guaranteed. Ah well

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Stash them in Pokemon home. You can put thousands of Pokemon there

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Mr Newsman posted:

Figured I'd be able to just overwrite my old Pokemon with new ones if I wanted but it just doesn't let you catch anymore once they're full.

Urgh definitely don't want to go through all of them since at least 80% is garbage guaranteed

You're a bad Pokemon trainer and Karen will want to beat the living crap out of you if she finds out.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
I just wanted to catch them all!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, a new Pokétoon episode is out:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3adZrf8DI

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

So you see, Mr Newsman, even bad singing Jigglypuffs can end up joining a punk band and finding success in life. We all should aspire to be like this humble Jigglypuff.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Mr Newsman posted:

So I just maxed out my boxes in Pokemon Sword.

What's the best way to go through them and figure out what's worth saving? Toss anything that's bad IV? There's so many combos of IVs and moves and abilities that I don't think there's any way for me to know if I'm trashing something that's worth keeping.

That said I don't do any competitive battling or whatever so it probably doesn't matter one little bit.

You hold each pokemon in your hand. If it sparks joy, keep it. If it does not spark joy, discard it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Saoshyant posted:

So you see, Mr Newsman, even bad singing Jigglypuffs can end up joining a punk band and finding success in life. We all should aspire to be like this humble Jigglypuff.

Now I want to see that Jigglypuff join a band with a chain smoker Meloetta, midlife crisis Toxtricity, and angsty Rillaboom for the ultimate band movie

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

Now I want to see that Jigglypuff join a band with a chain smoker Meloetta, midlife crisis Toxtricity, and angsty Rillaboom for the ultimate band movie

Loudred is heartily offended

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

Loudred is heartily offended

That's the whismur that's the heart and soul of the band who joins in season 6, obviously

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
Are there any plans for more distributions in Diamond/Pearl or is it just Mew/Jirachi/Manaphy and a costume? I don't remember them supporting the remakes a whole lot after release so I'm expecting a no and there's going to be nothing between now and Legends

Is Legends going to be treated like a main-line entry or more like Gale of Darkness or Ranger as one-and-done spinoffs

basically what I'm asking are we waiting for the new nintendo console for the next mainline Pokemon game because Nintendo doesn't have more than one new entry per console cycle that often

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

DS and 3DS both had two new generations.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Tampa Bae posted:

Are there any plans for more distributions in Diamond/Pearl or is it just Mew/Jirachi/Manaphy and a costume? I don't remember them supporting the remakes a whole lot after release so I'm expecting a no and there's going to be nothing between now and Legends

Is Legends going to be treated like a main-line entry or more like Gale of Darkness or Ranger as one-and-done spinoffs

basically what I'm asking are we waiting for the new nintendo console for the next mainline Pokemon game because Nintendo doesn't have more than one new entry per console cycle that often

We know that Pokemon Home support is coming some time next year, and I wouldn't be surprised if we get some kind of distribution when that happens. Other than that there has been no official word on any other distributions for BDSP.

Legends is ABSOLUTELY a mainline entry. I don't think they would be promoting it as hard as they have if it wasn't meant to be something major. I'm unsure how long Nintendo plans to support the Switch but I could absolutely see another series of main titles being made using lessons learned from SwSh and Legends.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Balache404 posted:

We know that Pokemon Home support is coming some time next year, and I wouldn't be surprised if we get some kind of distribution when that happens. Other than that there has been no official word on any other distributions for BDSP.

Legends is ABSOLUTELY a mainline entry. I don't think they would be promoting it as hard as they have if it wasn't meant to be something major. I'm unsure how long Nintendo plans to support the Switch but I could absolutely see another series of main titles being made using lessons learned from SwSh and Legends.

Legends is a spinoff. Just because it has a big ad campaign doesn't make it a mainline game. Mainline games have a certain style of gameplay that it doesn't have.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Balache404 posted:

Hell, Legends even features (sort of) a new region and even some brand new Pokémon. Not entirely sure if there’s going to be any trainer battles and/or an evil team or if it’s primarily just going to be Pokémon: Monster Hunter though.

It’s not Gen 9 of course but it’s close enough to a new game to count in my opinion

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Legends is a spinoff. Just because it has a big ad campaign doesn't make it a mainline game. Mainline games have a certain style of gameplay that it doesn't have.
Why do you get to determine what's a main series pokemon game and not the people who make the games

Also. I'm not entirely sure pokemon is ever actually going back to the standard generational cycle after legends. They could be totally done with it for all i know! Or not, but legends is so unprecedented that i really couldn't begin to guess what the next step is

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

did the pokemon dlc fix the issue where you wasted a shitload of time trying to get people for a max raid battle due to the awful UI and constant connection issues? i really liked teaming up to take down a big pokemon for big rewards in theory but there was so much friction in that system

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tampa Bae posted:

Pokemon has multiple entries per console gen extremely often. They basically release a game a year, they're not gonna wait for Switch 2 or whatever to make some more Pokemon.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Amppelix posted:

Why do you get to determine what's a main series pokemon game and not the people who make the games

Also. I'm not entirely sure pokemon is ever actually going back to the standard generational cycle after legends. They could be totally done with it for all i know! Or not, but legends is so unprecedented that i really couldn't begin to guess what the next step is

A game isn't lesser because it is a spinoff. Legends is an action RPG spinoff, this shouldn't be controversial.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
New pokemon says gen 9 to me.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
Legends is a single entry and since this is the first time that the handheld and the home console are the exact same platform it could go either way. I don't think they'll just decide to drop the classic format because Pokemon is a license to print money and people will buy two versions of the game as long as they keep doing it.

This might look mainline just because this is the first time Nintendo's handheld and home consoles are the same vehicle and it features new pokemon/regional variants. If you can start trading the Legends pokemon to other games then yeah sure but Shadow Lugia never made it to the main games either but you could trade back and forth just like the stadium games

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

how and why is 'mainline' a meaningful distinction

anyway i dont see the remakes getting any meaningful post release support because they were outsourced

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

This logic would mean USUM is from gen 8. Legends is just the “real remake” so to speak for gen 8. Revisited region with tons of changes/character redesigns just way different kinds than the three previous. I do think that aspects of Legends may bleed into the gen 9 games though, like overworld Pokémon did from LGPE to SWSH.

A cynical take would be that we’ll find out in February as I personally believe that Legends was supposed to be the big 2021 game before COVID and the TPC would want a new release in November. Legends could always get DLC though and get a combo release like SWSH did or we could get a Let’s Go 2.

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 28, 2021

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

Ain't a new gen without new starters. And that's just a fact.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sleeping Sigma posted:

This logic would mean USUM is from gen 8. Legends is just the “real remake” so to speak for gen 8. Revisited region with tons of changes/character redesigns just way different kinds than the three previous. I do think that aspects of Legends may bleed into the gen 9 games though, like overworld Pokémon did from LGPE to SWSH.

A cynical take would be that we’ll find out in February as I personally believe that Legends was supposed to be the big 2021 game before COVID and the TPC would want a new release in November. Legends could always get DLC though and get a combo release like SWSH did or we could get a Let’s Go 2.

That's a good point, but USUM only had what, the ultra beasts?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

did the pokemon dlc fix the issue where you wasted a shitload of time trying to get people for a max raid battle due to the awful UI and constant connection issues? i really liked teaming up to take down a big pokemon for big rewards in theory but there was so much friction in that system

Actually, yes. While the Max Raids you know function exactly the same way (badly), there's a new option called Dynamax Adventures where you partner with three other people in a waiting room, take decisions (voting) on what paths to go in a dungeon, and beat a bunch of small bosses until you hit the end and face a legendary. It works pretty much painlessly and people use it to hunt down shinies often so there's always people. You still need to be in a location with good WiFi or you'll get disconnected halfway through, though.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

That's a good point, but USUM only had what, the ultra beasts?

Ultra beasts are still Pokemon so I think it still counts as new mid-gen mons. Also, so far, no mon in Legends is completely new, as in not evolved from or a different form of an old pokemon.

I suppose, thinking about it, Game Freak have said in the recent past that they don't want to be seen as predictable. Gen 7 broke a lot of "rules" so to speak: no gyms, evolving legendaries, mid-gen new pokemon (even if they are ultra beasts), a third version that was sold as two versions instead. Gen 8 had DLC instead of third version. If the rumor of regional final forms for the Legends starters is true would that be fulfilling this requirment? Or would that be too much of a stretch?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Ain't a new gen without new starters. And that's just a fact.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

No it wouldn't count.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
We'll just have to wait I guess.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

2nd DLC added a twist to it with the cave raid thingy which removed the awful UI menu search function and just opened up a queue but it suffered the same connection issues.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

2nd DLC added a twist to it with the cave raid thingy which removed the awful UI menu search function and just opened up a queue but it suffered the same connection issues.

And exacerbates AFK users dragging out the clock and being a liability and an outright nuisance. The worse was when an AFK user had a Comfey that defaulted to using After You on the raid boss. For those that are not aware, After You causes the target to move after the user and Comfey has a base speed of 100. That's right; the raid boss effectively gets priority since so few rentable and encounterable Pokemon are any faster. :negative:

Frankly, I have more issues with AFKs and outright idiots that don't know their type match-ups than connection issues. It's made hunting for shiny legendaries (or shinies in general) a tortuous chore that's progressively chipping away at my will to continue grinding. Even with the Shiny Charm, I'm probably close to 80-90 raids into trying for a shiny Tapu Lele and I only have a shiny Swoobat to show for it. And I got that Swoobat after I got the Shiny Charm. If it weren't for the fact that the Tapus aren't available to Pokemon GO yet (Gen 6 was introduced in November 2020) and legendary Pokemon aren't usually available as shinies when they are first debuted which seems to take at least a year (for example Kyurem first debuted in July 2020 and its shiny only just became available this month), I'd be transferring it from GO via Pokemon Home even if it was my only one although I'd probably do additional raids to ensure I get at least two shinies.

Back on the topic of AFKs, it wouldn't surprise me if Game Freak never thought to incorporate some semblance of measures to deal with AFK users. Something as simple as progressively shorter timers if there is no user input and using the AI to select a move instead of choosing the default (which I guess is the first move on the move list) would go a long way to make AFKs more tolerable. Even something as simple as enabling auto-sleep which should forcibly cut the connection would be just as adequate since I'd rather have an unreliable and flaky NPCs vs some no show that drags out the clock and only picks one move. At this point, depending on how bad of a mood I'm in, I'm starting to just bail if there are one or more really egregious AFK users that sinks our chances at getting to and beating the end boss. I've grown accustomed to toggling Airplane Mode to force a disconnect but not terminate the raid so I could at least try my luck with the NPCs and potentially claim any Pokemon that I have caught; I think you forfeit anything you gained in the raid if you force quit the game.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 29, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

That's the whismur that's the heart and soul of the band who joins in season 6, obviously

Fair enough. Also I guess all Jigglypuff are for some reason just completely unaware that their songs can put people to sleep

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
After getting rid of boxes of surprise trade rookidees, dreepy breedjects, and my coalossal duplicates I ended up with some space.

I'm a Pokemon hoarder :(

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Larryb posted:

Fair enough. Also I guess all Jigglypuff are for some reason just completely unaware that their songs can put people to sleep

It’s something that should only be true for one Jigglypuff but I guess has gotten attributed to the whole species.

See also Ditto face.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Thought I’d fire up the best Sinnoh game (Platinum) and try my hand at the Poké Radar.

… is it supposed to be this tedious? Like a lot’s been said about it being “easy shinies!!!” but in practice it’s just “get 6-7 in a chain then it breaks by itself”.

Is it worth continuing to try in Platinum? Or does the experience get better in BDSP? Because honestly I’d rather do dynamax adventures, at least I’m getting something useful (dynite ore) out of each failed run.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Tardigrade posted:

Thought I’d fire up the best Sinnoh game (Platinum) and try my hand at the Poké Radar.

… is it supposed to be this tedious? Like a lot’s been said about it being “easy shinies!!!” but in practice it’s just “get 6-7 in a chain then it breaks by itself”.

Is it worth continuing to try in Platinum? Or does the experience get better in BDSP? Because honestly I’d rather do dynamax adventures, at least I’m getting something useful (dynite ore) out of each failed run.

I only did it a bit, several years ago, but I found once I learned how to do it it was very reliable, albeit time consuming. I got several shiny Buizel out of a single chain back in the day.

I've been meaning to go back to Platinum and try doing it some more, my experience has been that shinies are a good way to get rare stuff (e.g. groomed Furfrou) in the Home GTS which can then be parlayed into various other things.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Tardigrade posted:

IMO there is no not-tedious way to catch 42 pokemon of the same species or whatever.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Tardigrade posted:

I had a brief go at doing a Pokeradar chain in Shining Pearl and ended up giving up in disgust after a few chains stalled out at 10 or so.

Even if you stack everything in your favor, according to numbers I got from Reddit nerds, you still only have around a 4% chance to get a chain all the way to 42 (highest shiny multiplier). And that's if you're catching everything, thus bloating your boxes with dozens of dumb poo poo you don't even want to keep that will have to be released one by one later.

I was not a fan. gently caress the Pokeradar. Dexnav was so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Pokeradar was the easy shiny method back in Gen 4, before we had better methods and odds.