Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

Generations also had the pokemon roar and squeak as well, and zapdos sounded like mothra during its recent anime appearance

I forget, did Twilight Wings do this too or did the Pokemon still say their names like in the main anime?

Speaking of which, looks like we’re finally starting the main Galar plot next week. I’m not sure it’s possible to handle things any worse than the game did so I’m somewhat optimistic about this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Larryb posted:

I forget, did Twilight Wings do this too or did the Pokemon still say their names like in the main anime?

Speaking of which, looks like we’re finally starting the main Galar plot next week. I’m not sure it’s possible to handle things any worse than the game did so I’m somewhat optimistic about this one.

Twilight Wings absolutely did that too. I think only the main anime does it so that the kids watching will absolutely know what each Pokemon is.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

They roared in Twilight Wings as well - even had a gag in the second episode where Bea mistakes a Rhydon for Charizard since they had the same cry in Gen I

ChaosArgate posted:

Twilight Wings absolutely did that too. I think only the main anime does it so that the kids watching will absolutely know what each Pokemon is.

they will on occasion keep the japanese audio for the cries such as for Onix, who still says "iwaaaark" when it screams, and they kept fearow screaming like Guzzlord in the dub of Journeys

https://twitter.com/OoCPokemon/status/1234063075336245249

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 17, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, while the Japanese version of the anime does still retain the whole conceit of the Pokémon only saying their names, some are a bit more subtle than others.

Which is why I personally think for the games they should either give Pikachu (and Eevee currently) back their old noises or just make every Pokemon speak like they do in the anime. Just keep things consistent honestly.

Or at the very least, if Pikachu is going use its anime voice in the games then by extension both Pichu and Raichu should as well.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It really was a stroke of genius. You're hired to do some 26 episode commercial for some Game Boy games that will surely never take off, but you don't know what to do because 90% percent of your cast can't talk but these Nintendo guys who hired you demand that the viewers know exactly who all 150 characters are by rote. Easy, have them growl/squeak/roar, but their names.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The anime style voices work well in Smash Bros. Even Incineroar only being able to say his awkward name sounds good.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I thought the trope of "Their name is all they can say" existed longer then Pokemon.

Larryb posted:

Which is why I personally think for the games they should either give Pikachu (and Eevee currently) back their old noises or just make every Pokemon speak like they do in the anime. Just keep things consistent honestly.

Or at the very least, if Pikachu is going use its anime voice in the games then by extension both Pichu and Raichu should as well.

I would like it if they gave the old game cries to new Pokemon or even variations of them (like say a regional variant of Pikachu/Eevee).

But it seems like cries that sound like they came from the anime are very slowly being added to the main games. I know Gigantamax Meowth's cry is basically Meowth's Japanese VA going "Meow Meow Meow".

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the part of this video that always kills me is when Regice attacks Ash and it's just like
"Regice Re-Re-Regice Regice"
"Regice!?"
"Regiiiiiiiiiice"
"Ah! Regice!"

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 17, 2020

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Pokemon cries that are just some dude screaming will forever be my favorite genre of cries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4Bi9cZ7YA0

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Augus posted:

the part of this video that always kills me is when Regice attacks Ash and it's just like
"Regice Re-Re-Regice Regice"
"Regice!?"
"Regiiiiiiiiiice"
"Ah! Regice!"

https://twitter.com/OoCPokemon/status/1168184056661590016

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Guzzlord posted:

"I love how one of the most alien-looking creatures in the entire franchise has such a relatable scream."

Zapdos posted:

"The fearsome war cry of Team Instinct."

:allears:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

WHO'S THAT POKEMON?

IIIIIIIIIIITS......Cleffa!

Cleffa:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oghBXKHWcyw

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I like how there's always popups advertising the fact that I Can Now Buy More Item Storage, and yet, I only learned of today's Poke Go event literally an hour before it ended

at the very least, I caught one shiny charmander, though!

Can't wait until Home support is a thing, I wanna try running a Sunny Day team now.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Good news bad news from Pokenchi re: dynamax adventures

Good news: legends have a 100% catch rate

Bad news: you can only catch one copy of each legend

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

thats good news actually

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Balache404 posted:

Booo, that's dumb

if they have a replayable dungeon you should be able to get multiple copies. I mean, from the number of times legends have shown up, it's not uncommon for people to have several - I've got an entire box full of the birds alone.

It should be 100% catch rate first time, then like, I dunno, 25% for consecutive attempts or something.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Blaziken386 posted:

Booo, that's dumb

if they have a replayable dungeon you should be able to get multiple copies. I mean, from the number of times legends have shown up, it's not uncommon for people to have several - I've got an entire box full of the birds alone.

It should be 100% catch rate first time, then like, I dunno, 25% for consecutive attempts or something.

Yeah, for sure first time and then low catch rate after sounds ideal. But gamefreak, always gotta move one step forward six steps back.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Larryb posted:

or just make every Pokemon speak like they do in the anime.
please, god no, I've hated the name calls since I was a small child

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again every time this topic comes up:

they should just use the Pokemon cries from the Stadium games.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again every time this topic comes up:

they should just use the Pokemon cries from the Stadium games.

Aren't the modern cries just those but even better or flat out remade?

edit: after relistening to the Stadium cries, I think I prefer the modern ones even

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Desperately want lo-fi Gameboy speaker static that vaguely sounds somewhat but not really like animal noises to come back.

Also have like 20 Pokemon all have Rhydon's cry.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

MorningMoon posted:

Yeah, for sure first time and then low catch rate after sounds ideal. But gamefreak, always gotta move one step forward six steps back.

That's the way it has been in literally every previous game so I don't see how it's a step back. In fact it's better in Sword/Shield since you can just make a new profile if you want to catch more.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqIAf6oGu_0&t=529s

it's criminal what they did to metagross's cry. the original was so fuckin cool and bassy, the updated version doesn't make nearly as much of an impact

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zuzie posted:

I thought the trope of "Their name is all they can say" existed longer then Pokemon.

The original pokemon, Grape Ape.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqIAf6oGu_0&t=529s

it's criminal what they did to metagross's cry. the original was so fuckin cool and bassy, the updated version doesn't make nearly as much of an impact

I have to wonder if the samples they used were the same as the bitcrushed 16-bit ones on the GBA. Surely they must have the assets still.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Really the Gen III mons were the only ones where updating their cries made any sense. The I&II mons are so low tech that you either leave the old cry in but now it's muffled (Which is what they ended up doing) in which case what's the point since they still sound like electric screeching only now it's the wrong electric screeching. Or you replace them completely which is bad because you lose their iconic cries (even if they were slight variations on the same 12 iconic cries). The IV&V mons on the other hand were perfectly modern and wouldn't sound out of place if introduced on a newer design, so all they did was ruin great cries like Kriketune without actually making anything more modern. Gen III is the only gen where what they were trying to make the cries do was held back by the hardware.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Balache404 posted:

it's amazing to me how hard they are trying to make the whole dynamax thing work and be integral to the game. like, the dynamax raids aren't just badly designed and boring, they're also a total departure from what made encounters difficult in any previous version. now the challenge won't be surviving long enough to actually catch the legendary with your own lovingly trained-up team, it'll be in... being able to herd 3 pubbies with rental teams into getting far enough through the madness to finally use your master ball? like, "catch" is the operative word in the series' tagline, and that's the part they're making literally as brainless as possible?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Dumb question, but have they said how to start the second DLC when it releases? Like, the first DLC you started by going to that one specific train station. Is it just that again?

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Bobulus posted:

Dumb question, but have they said how to start the second DLC when it releases? Like, the first DLC you started by going to that one specific train station. Is it just that again?

They have not, but that seems likely.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Muscle Tracer posted:

now the challenge won't be surviving long enough to actually catch the legendary with your own lovingly trained-up team, it'll be in... being able to herd 3 pubbies with rental teams into getting far enough through the madness to finally use your master ball? like, "catch" is the operative word in the series' tagline, and that's the part they're making literally as brainless as possible?

I like it this way. The way it has sounded to me, the raid path will replace where the tedium is placed. I don't need to bring something just to use false swipe. And I don't have to reset if I run out of the ball I want to use. I'll gladly take 100% over ~3%

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

My worry is that people will be hunting for a specific characteristic in their one(1) legendary catch. So, like, you'll get three pubbies through the first three dynamax raids, and then one or two of them will quit because the legendary isn't shiny or something.

All the more reason to just team up with goons, I suppose.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Ohhh the league with only non-evolved pokemon is called the b-button league it makes sense.

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

it's a free country u pervs
my genesect is getting dusty :(

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Hrist posted:

I like it this way. The way it has sounded to me, the raid path will replace where the tedium is placed. I don't need to bring something just to use false swipe. And I don't have to reset if I run out of the ball I want to use. I'll gladly take 100% over ~3%

i just would've been stoked if tedium was removed, not moved. let me use 4 of my own pokemon in a real challenging situation, no heals through multiple raids or something. as opposed to, like, rental flareon used agility.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

i just would've been stoked if tedium was removed, not moved. let me use 4 of my own pokemon in a real challenging situation, no heals through multiple raids or something. as opposed to, like, rental flareon used agility.
The problem with that is this is a game for literal children, and a mode that looks to be available almost as soon as you start the game, and if you accomodate that, you will way under balance it for the internet lords that have stockpiled piles upon piles of fully trained, fully leveled battle monsters.

Like I agree it's kind of a bummer that you can't take in your favourites and have a good time, but the way they are doing this makes the most sense as far as being a fun and enjoyable experience for as much of the wildly varying levels of skill the player base has as possible.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Balache404 posted:

Huh. So if you get a really terrible one I guess you need bottle caps and mints to make them usable?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also I generally pay more attention to this but tundra is out really really soon and I still have 0 idea on what will be allowed. Are we going to 6 legendary teams Nov1?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Crawfish posted:

The problem with that is this is a game for literal children

i agree that this is a problem and they should change their mindset to take a more battle tower-esque approach more often

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's time for them to make an M-rated pokemon game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's time for them to make an M-rated pokemon game.

Pokken Tournament but it’s Mortal Kombat, complete with Fatalities