Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Elfgames posted:

it's pokemon bank, maybe some amie stuff but i wouldn't count on it

"Don't worry about us releasing USUM for the 3DS, a new Switch pokemon is on the way!" -> "Don't worry about LGPE, a new pokemon for hardcore fans is on the way!" -> "Don't worry about SwSh, Pokemon Home is on the way and it's everything you could ever imagine it to be."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

Sea Lily posted:

Are there any romhacks of 3DS era stuff that expand the catchable pool of pokemon to like, everything from all gens(within reason for the gen of the game)? All in one game? I've been kinda wanting to replay OR/AS or X/Y but with just wildly expanded available pokes for a more interesting nuzlocke run and I'm not sure it's even a thing. DS era would be cool too if there's one of those

My friend, let me share the gospel of Dio Vento - https://diovento.wordpress.com/

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

Zuzie posted:

I've noticed it for several cycles, but whenever a new game debuts on new hardware, it's kind of a downgrade from the previous title on the previous system.

At this point, Sword and Shield is sort of like X and Y at best. It just looks unimpressive right now, especially when its also on the same system that a metric ton of other more graphically impressive games.

But what about the Let's Go games?

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

becoming posted:

A quick search tells me that Drayano hasn't released romhacks for SuMo or USUM. Haven't played either of their hacks for ORAS so I can't say which is better, just that every time I see someone mention the Dio Vento mods, it is very positive. Other than overlapping on ORAS, Drayano covers the DS and Dio Vento covers the 3DS. We are spoiled for choice.

Yeah the Dio Vento mods are fantastic. 100% superior to the base games.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

WITCHCRAFT posted:

an Abra with great balls

That's even better than a shiny.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

MorningMoon posted:

I'm not even that negative to GF. For most of their "mistakes" they are just going on a direction I don't like, and that's fine. But I feel like we've been doing the song and dance of "well, this last game release was disappointing but that just means the next one will be great" for 8 years now. If they can somehow pull it off with Arceus and deliver a smooth game then awesome, otherwise we're just in it for technically rough games with many shortcomings tied to the move to 3D for the 8th year straight with no end in sight.

I imagine that what's made that strategy successful in the past is how incremental the evolution is between titles. Gen 2 was built off the bones of Gen 1, Gen 4 started off kind of rough with how slow D/P were but with Platinum and HG/SS it came into its own. Two games in the same Gen 5 world. They still had the same habit of adding features and then immediately tossing them in the next game but the foundations remained the same.

Then you had Gen 6 which was challenged by the move to 3D but still used the same framework for XY and ORAS. Then Gen 7 essentially released the same game twice and had a remake on a totally different, brand new system. Gen 8 sort of built off of LGPE but seemingly had a bunch of content cut because they struggled to import prior work done on the 3D models/animations. Now we're getting the Legends games which seem pretty ambitious and likely won't be able to borrow all that much from SwSh as well as the DP remakes which are back to 2D grid-based games with 3D models.

I feel like if they want to get out from behind the 8 ball in terms of challenge developing every new game then they need to iterate more from the same framework but that definitely doesn't seem to be their plan. I agree that I don't see their technical challenges ending anytime soon.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

qnqnx posted:

Little Town Hero was supposedly also an 'ambitious' game from them and did not get any hype, and it merely faded away on release day.

From what I've heard of it that's probably a blessing for all involved.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

I don't think there are any lazy game developers, at least not among those who actually ship products.

The root cause of the uneven quality of Game Freak's output seems to be structural, and I would guess that it's not a problem that can be satisfactorily solved by throwing more money at it.

They don't want to kill the golden goose, so they're being cautious and conservative about any changes, rather than panic and make huge sweeping mandates. This is actually a good thing, because studios and franchises die when publishers panic.

There will continue to be disappointments, because everything they're doing to improve things (hiring more people, reusing the HD models, contracting out remakes) is a slow process. Just, for god's sake, that's no reason to be a baby about it.

It's impossible to determine this from the outside but I'd imagine it's got to be the leadership. There have been plenty of quotes over the years from Masuda about how they want to streamline the experience to make it as simple to pick up and play so that kids don't lose interest and go back to mobile games. I think this attitude is what leads to the Sun/Moon games showing a bright red flag on the map at all times. They seem to have really fallen in love with their storytelling skills and the result is that the first quarter of the games is running from map icon to map icon and tapping A through way too many text boxes. Sw/Sh had the same issue.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

I think they could use some fresh blood on the design side as well. The first few hours of SM are basically walking down a single corridor from cutscene to cutscene following closely-spaced flags on the map on the bottom screen. I think the current leadership is terrified of kids getting lost and frustrated and switching over to mobile games so they make them absolutely brain dead.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

Carlosologist posted:

Hisuian Growlithe also looks like a Shisa, which raises questions about how we haven’t seen Okinawa as a region yet (unless that’s the Sevii Islands)

I thought Hoenn was all of Okinawa?

Edit: Ah, Kyushu.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

They're also abbreviating it from Dada Zarude to simply "Darude"

and it knows sandstorm

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

It’s a kid’s game, op

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

:laffo: What the gently caress. I just got locked down from Pokemon Home on my tablet because I thought it would be a good idea to speed up GTS trades if I had it on my phone too. Nope! You can only have it on one mobile device ever, apparently! And now it says my data was transferred away and god Arceus knows how I will be able to use it again on the tablet now. How are these people so loving moronic?? There's an account sign-in already, why are you locking it into one device!?

And this on top of already loving up and there being two completely different versions of Pokemon Home (Switch + mobile) where you can only transfer mons into/out of games through the Switch, but you can only use the GTS and other trading features on mobile. :gamefreak:

How do I "transfer" back into the tablet? I prefer to use it with a bigger screen to manage this stuff and there's no options anywhere that I can see.

It reminds me of how Game Freak decided to except themself from one of the biggest value-adds of NSO which is the cloud backup of saves. Meanwhile the Switch is hacked wide open and the GTS is filled with all sorts of hack mons so it's wholly irrelevant but that doesn't stop GF from inconveniencing their players.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

Flopsy posted:

WELP guess we know who got the competent programmers!

Neither?

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

Hammerite posted:

The remakes don't sound all that exciting. I was hoping that all the marketing stuff emphasising how it was going to be a faithful recreation of the originals was just because that's what they thought people wanted to hear, but doesn't seem like it so far.

If people are leaking it, I would have thought that if there were interesting departures from the original, they'd have told everyone about it by now.

I think that's just marketing talk. Nobody wants faithful recreations, they want good games.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

I suddenly feel justified in starting the original Diamond last night, because why shell out the dollars for the remakes if I still have an unplayed by me DS copy? I'll just deal with the battles being long or whatever.

Yeah I fired up Platinum. I'll take a $60 discount to play the superior version any day.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

qnqnx posted:

I'd rather have all the pokemon than fancier graphics, personally.

“Would you accept neither?” -GameFreak

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

The worst part isn't Game Freak's lust for bucks it's that, along with their entire output for nearly a decade, they're so drat uncreative about it. They're making two versions because back in 1996 they made two versions and that made them a lot of money. If they wanted to accomplish the goal of providing unique player experiences and motivating players to trade with one another they have about a billion more options for doing that on each player's individual game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

There's been several decades since 1996 actually

Eh, I put the downfall after B2W2 but saying that it's all been downhill since Red and Blue is certainly a take.