Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I am so excited!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

RatHat posted:

99% of the time "rumor" means "some random guy on reddit/4chan/gamefaqs said this".

How dare you, my uncle who works at Nintendo is an adamant user of Reddit, 4chan, and Gamefaqs, and he knows what he's talking about.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Flopsy posted:

Awesome giveaway.

Thank you very much for the giveaway! I'd like the Shiny Diancie and the Shiny Budew, if they're still available. If you could name the Budew Rosie, I'd really appreciate it, and you would be supporting a proud tradition of my sister and I giving our Pokemon names that are puns on things like our character names.
And is one of the Kartanas Jolly, by any chance? It's been painful trying to get one with a good nature.

My FC is 4141-7726-8213 and my IGN is Rosa.

If you want anything interesting, I have Ideal-Natured Ultra Beasts (Pheromosa, Celesteela, Nihilego and Xurkitree), XL HA 5IV Pumpkaboos, and some regular bottle caps. Otherwise feel free to have all the Crabrawlers you won't be able to wait to throw away!

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Flopsy posted:

I can getcha all of the above! And yes the kartanas are jolly with 6IVs. If i can make a request as to what I'd personally want the easiest would be a pidove in a dusk ball. If not send over the Crabrawlers! I'll post a message when all's in order.

Awesome, I really appreciate it! And yup, a Dusk Ball Pidove is a bit out of what I can do, I only have Pokemon Moon/Ultra Moon finished, and just restarted my game of Pokemon X and stupidly forgot to back up my save file on my Action Replay. This giveaway is really nice, let me see if I can trade for it on r/pokemontrades.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Flopsy posted:

Okay Catalina I'm good to go whenever you are! Your pokemon are ready!

I just added you and I'm coming online now.

Thank you so much!

Catalina
May 20, 2008

oddium posted:

it's science baby

sobble is s
rabbit is b
monkey is c

Making charts like this is pointless; every starter and starter evolution is unique and wonderful in their own way... except for the Generation 2 ones, which all belong in the trash.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

indigi posted:

Sobble can't get a gun because it can't pass the mental health fitness screening

This post confused me for a second, like, “When has a mental health fitness screening ever been a serious deterrent to someone who really wanted a gun...but then I realized it was because I live in the United States rural South, and Sword and Shield takes place in The United Kingdom.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Dehry posted:

After Ash got his final badge in Kanto, they began a training arc for the Elite Four based around him being back in Pallet Town. In one of them the circus comes to town and ash dresses like a Mr. Mime for plot reasons. A real one wanders back to his house and Ash's mom thinks it's him. It starts living with her doing chores and has been a recurring character since.

You know, when I was 12, I was into Pokemon Red/Blue, and decided to try reading the manga to see if I wanted to watch the TV show, since I could start it from the beginning. I remember getting to the part (please excuse me if this is wrong, it's been 20+ years) seeing Ash steal Misty's bike, trash her bike, and then refuse to pay for it like lol sorry I'm gonna go on adventures now. I remember thinking, "Wow, this guy is an rear end in a top hat, I don't wanna watch a show about him," and proceeded to funnel my money into games, cards, and dolls.

It bothers me to think that if I had stuck with it, what might have been.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Flopsy posted:

Oh Lord thank you LOL. Welp you're going think I'm insane but the fact I actually went through with this probably means I already am. So the worst thing I've ever had to breed in my life was essentially the jewel of my collection. A single Budew. Now you might ask yourself "What makes this Budew so much more valuable than all these shiny Arceus' and Deoxys' you're giving away Flops?". It's a timid, hidden ability budew with extrasensory and hidden power fire in a moon ball with the highest possible IVs in every category save attack.

Breeding this took four weeks and a significant chunk of my sanity. I bred a "shiny" before I got the pokemon I wanted. To the uninitiated Budew are notoriously hard to breed because they require the parent to hold the rose incense. Essentially forcing you to give up one of the most vital breeding tools: the everstone. Their nature becomes completely randomized and getting it right becomes a gamble. In addition to that hidden abilities are also randomized along with IV's. And in order to get extrasensory on the pokemon it HAD to be a Budew because the move will not pass down to Roselia. So....through a lot of trial and error I managed to get two parents, a female Roselia with her hidden ability, the right IV's for hidden power fire and extrasensory but a poo poo nature with a bulbasaur with the same exact IV's needed for hidden power fire holding the destiny knot. Because of the sheer amount of randomization involved in the breeding process I had thousands of near misses trying to get the right combination for the baby. I got almost all my shinies from the sheer amount of wonder trading I did trying to breed this perfect budew that just seemed like it wasn't happening. Why did I do this nitpicking bullshit you ask? Because Roserade is one of my favorite pokemon and I wanted to make one as competitively viable as possible. Also I'm loving nuts. So one beautiful BEAUTIFUL DAY I finally did it. i finally got a timid one with all the business correctly in order and named him Arsene. I may or may not of wept. It then occurred to me I might have a problem before I promptly shook off this revelation to start breeding a Vespiquen.

The END

Ok, this was pages back, but I just realized this was the origin of the shiny Budew you gave me, which metal as heck, for a Pokemon who is Rosie the Roselia, who lives in a flower patch with Dishes the Oddish, and Psylvester the Psyduck, because I always name my shinies like I'm still 12 years old.
That's an awesome story, though, and thank you for the Budew!

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Also Combee is my actual favorite Pokemon, so seeing that 10% chance for a female one to turn into a Vespiqueen almost physically hurts me. Good luck, goon.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Flopsy posted:

Just to warn you the plot of USUM is a serious downgrade, absolutely shits on some enjoyable plot points. I mean if you're playing for the plot anyway. At the very least it's much MUCH easier to grind BP in the surfing game than it is to do the battle tree.

Yeah. I always feel weird talking about this with anyone but the most hardcore of fans, because lol, Pokemon plot complexity, but I like Sun/Moon is more interesting plot-wise, while Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon is more fun mechanics wise. Sun and Moon is much darker, and some of motivations characters stem from legit mental illnesses, PTSD, etc, and Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon erase those scenes and leave you with the impression that they're implying that the characters are acting the way they do in other scenes because they're just zany and wacky!
But I'm an adult fan, of course I like the more mature character motivations more, but honestly, I still recommend US/UM to people. In fact that's what my sister is doing right now, playing Ultra Sun without playing Sun. And in her case, she doesn't care about the plot points that much, she's much more interested in the cute slice of life stuff. Really, the only problem I have US/UM changing it that much, except for in the case of Lusamine, because it makes Lillie and Gladion look more like brats for running away from home, instead of having to flee from a tyrannical mother with total control and a totally Brain-Control Pokemon Parasite induced unchecked mental illness. It's not enough to recommend Sun/Moon over US/UM to someone, but it does make me glad I played both.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Flopsy posted:

I'm so glad Regimind isn't a giant wet brain.

They made the main villain Necrozma and threw out boatloads of character development and motivation for almost all the main characters. Also Lusamine merged with an ultra beast, turned into an eldritch abomination and tried to murder her daughter. She also doesn't understand what she did wrong (Her treatment of Guzma, her children, endangering the region etc.) once she regains consciousness and needs serious medical treatment in Kanto. Lillie essentially becomes her caretaker because she's in such bad shape afterward. So many good scenes were cut but the worst was Lillie standing up for herself finally and basically telling Lusamine she's horrible and that children aren't just things that belong to their parents.

Yeah. USUM has a lot of scenes that are just swapped with lighter stuff. Stuff that stands on it's on, but it is kinda sad what's cut is good stuff, too. Say, when you're catching the Ultra Beasts in the endgame, Sun and Moon goes through a lot of story that makes the Ultra Beasts more dangerous and horrific. They've very alien and dangerous due to them accidentally Wormholes thousands of light years away, and being toxic against Earth (Pokeearth?) life forms by nature. They attack because they're insane from being in an alien environment, and they're seeking out anything or anyone that's been a Wormhole because it feels faintly like the only world they know, but when they realize it's not going to get them home, they go with mad with rage and attack them. Your character is hunting them down with the Pokemon Interpol, with Looker and Nanu (the Dark-type Kahuna), and as the story slowly comes out that, yeah, they asked you to help not just because you were strong, but because you were strong and made excellent bait. They had been ordered to try it before with a person who wasn't strong, and she had been killed and eaten by a Guzzlord; which is most of the Nanu's motivation for being the way he is: suffering from PTSD that came from from people above him totally disregarding the life of him and his comrades.

To compare, in Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, that scene has the Ultra Recon squad capture Stakataka/Blacephalon with Hau, and then the rest of the Ultra Beasts you can get by wormhole surfing. Looker and his boss lady show up later and are like, "Let's go to the Battle Tree!", and I guess you could just interpret Nanu as a lazy guy who is living his dream of living in a police station as a crazy cat man. In return, you get Hau getting more character development, and pretty much guilt free access to catching Ultra Beasts with good natures to cream the Battle Tree with, which hey, I'm a big fan of.

I would not be surprised at all if someone higher up looked at Sun/Moon at some point and told them to knock it off because this is a game that's supposed to be sold to kids, in literally the most lucrative multimedia franchise in the world.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Ada posted:

Give me a Pokemon war game already, Game Freak. You can't just roll out a Poke-nuke in gen 6 and talk about a huge war that happened and not make a game out of it, it's prime material.

Everyone forgets about Pokemon Conquest. :(

Catalina
May 20, 2008

By the way US/UM Rotom Dex is my best friend, and I won't stand for you guys disrespecting his good name like that. :colbert:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

SpaceCadetBob posted:

So is there any way yet to get a mon to lvl 100 without just battling the elite 4? I only have SM but would get USUM if they added something to fix how horrible grinding it is.

You can put it on the training course on Poke Pelago and give it the exp juice, to have up to 18 training passively. I think there are also restaurants in Festival Plaza that have exp food too.

I miss the Battle Chateau so much. :mad:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Vegetable posted:

I went to the largest Pokémon Center in Tokyo last week and it was pretty pathetic. They don’t even have plushes of every mon. No cool events or in-game gifts either — brought my Switch for nothing. I brought a dollop of yen to spend and genuinely struggled to find interesting things to buy.

Constantly fascinated by how bad Gamefreak is at making money. Also a Pokémon theme park would make absolute bank.

:thunk:

Seriously though, sorry you didn't have a good time. I get the plush thing, I get mine from Etsy, because a lot of the early gen plushes are one off and are..questionable. compared to how good the newer ones look.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Lately, I've been wanting to get into Battle Tree, and maybe eventually competitive battling, and I'm at an intermediate level of understanding, and am not sure where to go from here. I understand Natures/IV's/EV's, and how to breed them onto a Pokemon when applicable, but I'm not aware of what constitutes a good battling team. Like, I've read that Sassy Celesteela and Jolly Kartana are good for Battle Tree, but I'm not sure what I would do with them, and I'm confused when I see words like "Sweeper" or "STAB".

Where's the best place to go from here? I'd like to know how to make a good team, and the mechanics of why.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Hey, I wanted to thank everybody for the battling and battle tree advice: it’s been really helpful and I really appreciate it!

Catalina
May 20, 2008

When the online features shut down for the DS era games, did that happen after all DS services shut down, or after the release of X/Y? I’m hoping to have time to try all the online features in Gen 7 before they disappear. :ohdear:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I rented Let’s Go Eevee from GameFly and finished it with a complete Pokédex in less than a month, so it only cost me $17. For some reason, I felt like it was fun, but kind of a disappointment, but since it’s been dropping to $30 in sales, I’ve suddenly started feeling like it was really just great.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Zuzie posted:

Also yeah that sort of poo poo wouldn't fly today but it was Japan in the mid-90s when the ideas were first hashed out. Heck, even Brock's characterization of hitting on any pretty woman they group comes across would be considered creepy or downright offensive today, but it gets a pass because that's become one of his most defining character traits in the anime.

I’ll get you, Pokémon!
Even if it’s in the fire, in the water, in the grass, in the forests,
In the ground, in the clouds, In that girl’s skirt
(sound of girl screaming)

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cT6ULpScZA

Cross-posting from the Polygon thread because I think this thread can appreciate having their own Terry at one point or another.

Oh my goodness, that was amazing. I ended up watching the whole thing, laughing all the way through.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

"Man, the discussions about Pokemon Sword and Shield have been a total shitshow, I don't mind if people are unhappy, but I just wanna sit back and chill with people and talk about the new starters and stuff, people who can be disappointed without being overemotional about it and writing 10 paragraph essays that boil down to 'please market your game to me, and not to 5-10 year olds'"
Oh yeah, Something Awful! That always had a pretty good community, I should check what's going on - "

:yikes:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I think this thread has been significantly more reasonable and sensible than, say, Twitter or Reddit. Not a high bar to clear, I know. There's been arguments and disagreements but not the full on meltdowns you see everywhere else.

I'll take it. :)

Catalina
May 20, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

Those overemotional people y’all keep poking fun at and making post after post after post about how glad you are that you’re so much more mature, so much smarter and less goony than are probably teenagers FYI, I hope this helps

poo poo, this made me remember that when I was 14, I angrily snapped all the discs for Chrono Cross in half and took a pair of scissors to the strategy guide. I think it was because they killed off Robo from Chrono Trigger. God knows what I would have been like had I access to a Twitter or Reddit echo chamber.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

That was a much more reasonable and understandable thing to be furious about.

Oh man, it's all coming back to me now. They killed Robo and the three main characters from Chrono Trigger, and then explained it as something like "The AI that was created by Dinosaurs from another dimension did it". When I beat the game, I snapped the discs in half because I was angry I had wasted 40 hours, and I would never be tempted to play it again.
If Reddit had existed at the time, there is at least a 100% chance my 14-year-old self would have written a 10-paragraph diatribe about it.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's actually cool and good.

Now listen here sir or madam: your Final Fantasy XIV icon is cool and good, but it’s your username that matches the decision to put THAT in the plot of Chrono Cross.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Dynamax Alcremie is a giant cake that can also be my friend, and I personally feel that is worth putting the work in for. If Dynamax Pokémon are not compatible with how you find the game fun, you have my sympathy, and my hope that there will be features that improve the game for you.
Thank you for listening, that was my 2 Pokedollars on the matter.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Yesssss, I get the preorder bonuses for the Nintendo shop double pack of Sword and Shield, because it passed my much more casual player sister’s test of Does it have Oddish > Yes > Then preorder it. She, me, and my longtime best friend even have different starters that we’re going to pick, so I guess everybody’s gonna get a keychain of their favorite starter, too.

It’s so fun to be still have this in my life as an adult. :)

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Thank God Combee is still hanging in there. :ohdear:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

By the way, is there a good summary somewhere of all the PR disasters that have occurred regarding Sword and Shield? I have a friend who works in PR and she loves a good catastrophe.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

autumnal oddium posted:

yeah here's the complete list:

I laughed.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

RatHat posted:

Bad news: Shinies won’t show on the overworld model. I hope this is a bug.

If there's a cap on what Pokemon Level you can catch based on what badges you have, maybe that's the best for my heart; at least until post-game.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Flopsy posted:

Maybe this is the dog owner in me speaking but I wanna buy them giant doggo beds with blankets because the poor things look like they've had a real rough life and deserve to be comfy.

:yeah:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I’m always happy to see people trying out the new Pokémon when they haven’t played one for years/generations . :3:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Any word yet on how redemptions work on multiple profiles?
Also, thank you for posting about the exFAT bug, I’ve saved at least two friends from a SD card wipe.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Imagined posted:

This is my six year old son (Victor)'s first Pokemon game. He nicknamed his starter Pokemon Victor Jr. :3:

That is absolutely adorable!

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Oh my gosh, the plush keychains from The Pokemon Center are so much bigger than I thought they'd be!

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Super No Vacancy posted:

leon has the dumbest outfit in the history of anime

The entire cast of Final Fantasy X-2 would like to have a word with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Yamper fucken sucks. I hope I find that electric poison guy soon

When I threw a Pokemon Ball at a Vulpix and it missed, my Yamper fetched the ball back.
I'd have to give him at least a 10/10 Good Boy.