Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Gonna pick Scorbunny and name him Hot Cross Bun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I also prefer the story of S/M over USUM. Lillie and Gladion having to deal with their ill mother in the aftermath and trying to repair their incredibly broken relationship with her is something that I’m sure hits home for many people. I also wonder how many kids played the game and identified with Lillie because they have a parent who behaves in the same way, telling them how to dress, bossing them around and threatening their pets.

It was a few pages ago, but these are my favourite bugs:

Vivillon
Ribombee
Joltik
Leavanny
Volcarona
Araquanid
Scolipede
Yanmega

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Flopsy posted:

Lusamine is also her mother though. And as abusive as she is it's not unrealistic for a child to still love them and try to save them even if that's not the best course of action. Lillie didn't go into Ultra space to tell her off more she wanted her come back to her senses. It's only when Lusamine starts actively dehumanizing her again Lillie lost her temper and cut her off.

I think that part of the story was very realistic. The children of abusive parents often don’t sever, even if they should. They still care about their parent because it’s their parent and it’s difficult to mend that relationship. Nothing was wrapped up in a tidy little bow. Lusamine was recovering and Lillie and Gladion have a long road ahead of them to repair their relationship with their mom.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Silver Falcon posted:

Iirc the best counter to Elesa's Emolga is Blitzle. It gets Lightning Rod and Motor Drive- both of which make it immune to Volt Switch, and Shockwave- so it gets around Double Team Spam.

Definitely agree on the rest of your points. Black and White own.

True. My Blitzle was the MVP in the fight against Elesa.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing is Sun/Moon actually has a secondary character who's the descendant of the Alolan royal family who is not only considered irrelevant but seems to be pretty poor.

That would be a reference to the history of Hawaii. It was once a sovereign nation before the U.S took it over in an illegal invasion. The queen of Hawaii wrote Aloha Oi while in a prison cell.

Native Hawaiians have been treated like garbage and “exotic tourist attractions” ever since.

Nessa fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 25, 2019

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I think Tyrantrum and Hydreigon are cool looking dragons. Noivern is great too. Gen 6 had some great dragons.

Flygon is also a cool looking dragon.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

oddium posted:

i don't like how the head necks come down and then forward like arms. i would rather they go up and then forward like necks. also i don't like its giratina wings

But they are arms? I assumed the previous 2 heads “died” and became new hands, with a new real head growing in between them. He’s got heads for hands.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

A Sometimes Food posted:

Hydreigon and so many other gen 5 Pokemon went from weird and busy to cute and brilliant when put in 3D and animated it really feels like Gamefreak designed them with 3D prioritised to their detriment in the games they debuted in.

Except for Eelektross. His 3D animation just has him floating in the air, while his old animated sprite had him waddling on his little flippers and he looked so cute.

https://pokemondb.net/sprites/eelektross

Flappy flappy, flippy flappy, hop, hop!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Zuzie posted:

I'd like Dedenne more if it actually learned fairy attacks outside of Play Rough (which doesn't work since Dedenne is a physically strong as you would expect from a field mouse). Why the hell does it not get Dazzling Gleam?

I personally have no problem with Pikachu-relatives as they're mostly there for marketing purposes (which isn't a bad thing in of itself) and they're getting more unique over time rather then just being vanilla Electric types. Not to mention that rodents are the largest order of mammals in terms of species, so it stands to reason that the Pokémon world should be overrun with electric rodents.

Also even if you don't like them, there are hundreds of other species to focus your attention on.

I bred and trained a Dedenne, expecting that it would be able to learn Dazzling Gleam, as it’s a fairy type and an electric type. I was so disappointed that it couldn’t. Starmie and Gengar can learn Dazzling Gleam, but an electric/fairy type cannot? What gives!

Anyway, little Hamlet was still useful in helping me catch Pokémon (Nuzzle!) and giving me gifts with Pickup.

Emolga is super cute too.

It’s not an electric type, but I’m super in love with Minccino and Cinccino. Chinchillas are adorable and I loved taking down Hydreigons with my little Sherribelle.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

less laughter posted:

Persian, Ditto, Kabuto, Mew, Klink, Klang

There are more like that: Onix, Krabby, Bayleef, Seel, Jynx, Tauros, Unown, Qwilfish, Ducklett, Throh, Sawk, etc. (and then there's edge cases like word but just in reverse: Rotom, Ekans, Arbok)

And even more:

Gastly
Electrode,
Gloom
Dewgong
Cloyster
Slowpoke

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I really appreciated the use of “Angels with Filthy Souls” in the movie.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

galagazombie posted:

X&Y had an amazing set of new Pokemon despite the small number of them. But the game seems determined to have you use old ones. The route 1 bird and varmint are buried beneath the route 1 birds and varmints of every previous gen. As said above the game gives you all these previous gen freebies like Lucario and a gen 1 starter. I always use exclusively new dudes unless it's a replay, and I had to practically make a spreadsheet to find where they were buried in the enormous encounter pools.

I could not find a loving Dedenne in the wild. My friend had to trade me one.

I also like to only use new mons, but there were a bunch I didn’t even see until I beat the game, like Pumpkaboo or Phantump.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Ooh, bird chat!

When I first played Gen 4, Staraptor became my favourite bird Pokemon because of Close Combat and Brave Bird. Claire was a vital member of my team in Platinum. It looks really cool too.

Then in gen 6, I fell in love with Talonflame because.... Talonflame. Roger was a member of my team and then I trained up Shayera for the Battle Maison. Cool bird with cool (hot) moves.

Now my favourite might be Toucannon because toucans are just great and I love my angry toucan Judy. It’s got a surprisingly wide move pool too and Beak Blast has saved my butt on more than one occasion. Did you know it still has the power to burn opponents if Toucannon is asleep? I took part in a Pokemon League at an anime convention this weekend and the gym leaders were surprised by Toucannon’s movepool.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Impidimp reminds me of a kid-friendly version of SMT Incubus.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

So I went through the teaser and trailer for the games to see which old Pokémon appear. Presuming that entire families will be included (and they won’t skimp out on evolution items), here’s what the Galar Pokédex will have so far:

Caterpie, Metapod, Butterfree
Pichu, Pikachu, Raichu
Magikarp, Gyarados
Goldeen, Seaking
Machop, Machoke, Machamp
Ryhorn, Rhydon, Rhyperior
Munchlax, Snorlax
Hoothoot, Noctowl
Togepi, Togetic, Togekiss
Wooper, Quagsire
Mantyke, Mantine
Wynaut, Wobbuffet
Larvitar, Pupitar, Tyranitar
Wingull, Pelliper
Lotad, Lombre, Ludicolo
Duskull, Dusclops, Dusknoir
Trapinch, Vibrava, Flygon
Feebas, Milotic
Wailmer, Wailord
Riolu, Lucario
Hippopotas , Hippowdon
Snover, Abomasnow
Tympole, Palpitoad, Seismitoad
Sawk
Minccino, Cinccino
Joltik, Galvantula
Golet, Golurk
Frillsh, Jellicent
Rufflet, Braviary
Deino, Zweilous, Hydreigon
Bunnelby, Diggersby
Bergmite, Avalugg
Espurr, Meowstic
Grubbin, Charjabug, Vikavolt
Bounsweet, Steenee, Tsarina
Stufful, Bewear
Mudbray, Mudsdale

Nessa fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 12, 2019

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Farecoal posted:

Finished X, including the Looker side quest in the post-game, which turned out to be my favorite part. Overall not bad, but Black 2 is still my favorite of the games so far.

I also loved playing Detective with Looker. I would play a whole game of just that.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

galagazombie posted:

So what Pokemon are you pretty sure won't be in?

Deerling/Sawsbuck because of the seasons gimmick.

I’m betting they’ll be in with their gimmick repurposed for the changing weather in the wild area.

Also, I think it’s a good Pokémon to have in Poke Britain.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Shwoo posted:

Fun facts about the Phanpy line in its debut games: Despite being a Ground type, Phanpy learns exactly zero Ground moves. All the damaging moves it learns are Normal until level 33, when it can learn Rollout, assuming you didn't evolve it into a Donphan eight levels ago. Dophan also learns Rollout at level 33. Because of G/S/C's terrible level curve, you'll most likely have at least seven badges by that point.

Unlike Phanpy, Donphan does learn a Ground move at level 49, Earthquake. The Champion's strongest Pokemon is at level 50. You can get a Phanpy before the first gym.

I know this because I decided to use Phanpy instead of Geodude in one of my early playthroughs of Crystal, on the grounds of "I happened to encounter one and I want a cool Donphan like that guy from the beginning of the first movie." I stuck with it for a long time, hoping it would get good, and eventually replaced it with a Graveler that managed to be a huge improvement even stuck ten levels below the rest of the party.

It's like the tradeoff for not being stuck behind the postgame was to take that long to be remotely usable.

Back in 3rd Gen, I trained up a Phanpy just to keep it in my party and pick up good items for me. I had a really hard time K.O.ing the little guys in Firered because they sounded so sad when knocked out. Phanpy is such a cute Pokémon. I wanted Donna to get me the best items, so she’s level 100.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Spatula City posted:

Out:
Sunkern/Sunflora
Teddiursa
Ursaring
Stantler
Shinx/Luxio/Luxray
Glameow/Purugly lmao might as well pretend they don't exist at all
Pidove/Tranquill/Unfezant
Gothita/Gothorita/Gothitelle
Ducklett/Swanna
Karrablast/Escavalier
Klink/Klang/Klinklang
Shelmet/Accelgor
Druddigon
Scatterbug/Spewpa/Vivillon
Litleo/Pyroar
Furfrou
Pumpkaboo/Gourgeist (for obvious reasons)

I think these ones will all be in the games because I think they fit the region thematically. Lions, bear, deer, swan... I think it makes sense for Poke Britain to have those types of creatures.

What “obvious reasons” do you think mean Pumpkaboo/Gourgeist won’t be included? Do you think they’ll make a turnip jack-o-lantern Pokemon instead?

quote:

Bronzor/Bronzong
Rufflet/Braviary

These Pokémon have already been confirmed. They were shown in the trailer.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

The Pokemon native to a region have never been that closely tied to the wildlife or culture of the real-life area the region is based on. Kanto had kangaroos wearing Mongolian armor living just southwest of Tokyo. (To be far, it would make sense for the Safari Zone Pokemon to be imported from abroad, but the need to refer to the Gen I Pokemon as an in-universe category means that they've been retconned as "originally discovered in Kanto.") Johto, the most traditionally Japanese region, introduced Pokemon based on the Roman alphabet and a giraffe. Unova had Daruma dolls and zebras in New Jersey. Kalos had pandas and luchadors in France. There have also been Pokemon inspired by the real-world regions as well (especially in Alola), but they've never tried to match Pokemon with regions very strictly.

At the same time, they have introduced Pokémon that are particularly fitting to their region though. Unova introduced an Afro bison, a red, white and blue eagle, a pidgeon and aliens.

Galar gave us a corgi, which is also particularly fitting for Poke Britain.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Eiba posted:

But even allowing for that as a legitimate source for anxiety, I'm getting the impression that the very idea that not every Pokemon will be available is anathema. Really? You can't think of a single Pokemon you'd be indifferent to if it wasn't in the game? Are you really going to miss Cryogonal? Or is it just the idea that someone might miss Cryogonal that's upsetting?

I have a battle trained Crygonal named Vincent Ice, so yes, I would miss Cryogonal.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

qnqnx posted:

Although all of those were designed with the level curve of 5, only Deino and Pawniard had issues if not fully evolved with said evolution coming really late. Everything else was fine, if a bit of a challenge at times like Mienfoo, Tynamo and in particular Larvesta due to switching from Physical favoring to Special favoring on evolution.
Noibat and Noivern are gen 6, by the way.

I actually played through White 2 with a bred Pawniard and Deino. Pawniard was an MVP due to her egg moves though.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Eiba posted:

I'm playing through Black 2 right now, as it's the only Pokemon game I never got around to, and believe me they tell you the plot of the first game. A lot.

There's also a ton of "two years ago things were like this, now they're different" and I'm just taking peoples word for it.

I've been finishing up all the Pokemon games I missed recently (not counting version pairs)- Ultra Moon, Alpha Sapphire, actually beating X which I quit halfway through, and now Black 2. And I just have to say, Gen 5 was really something great. I've always dismissed grumbling about the 3d models, but good heavens these sprites are beautiful. Gen 6 in particular looks like absolute rear end. Especially the character models. Gen 7 somehow managed to pull it back to looking decent, but the switch to 3D was pretty darn rocky.

The only issue keeping Black 2 from being one of my favorites is how absolutely dumb Team Plasma has become. There was even a grunt who said something like, "Pokemon are pawns! It's easier not to think about it!"

These guys have gone from being one of the more compelling and interesting villain teams to being Team Flare/Team Galactic level boring.

I agree that the sprites are really great. Audino has a cute little “oh dear” motion and I love Eelectross’s flappy flappy waddling with his flippers. “Flap flap flap flap hop hop!” It’s so charming.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

My natural caught shines:

Platinum: Roselia and Starly only 24 hours apart, both while training up some Pokémon.
HeartGold: Golbat in an ice cave.
Ultra Moon: Pelipper on Poni Island

Other shinies:

Red Gyarados
Chained for shiny Shinxes, have the whole line as shinies
Chained for shiny Ponyta
Friend chained for shiny Corsola (I gave her one of my Ponyta)

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Spatula City posted:

Toucannon is never not at least a little irritated. and I really think its signature move is the best aspect of its personality. It SUPERHEATS ITS BEAK.

when SuMo first came out, some people were down on Toucannon. "It's...just a toucan". They were very wrong, because Toucannon is an Angry toucan. very different, very compelling concept. What If Toucan, But Mad?

Trashbird final form ranking
1. Toucannon
2. Staraptor
3. Swellow
4. Talonflame
5. Pidgeot
6. Noctowl
7. Unfezant

1-4 you can easily take to the end of the main storyline, the others can be frustrating (though Noctowl's a lot more viable in HGSS).

Bump Talonflame to ahead of Staraptor and Noctowl to ahead of Pidgeot and that’s my list.

I also love my angry toucan. Beak Blast is a great move that came in super handy when I played the main game. Even if she’s asleep, she will still heat up her beak, which can still burn opponents if they make contact.

Toucans are really cool birds in general and don’t even need anything added to them to make a great Pokémon. I actually prefer Pokémon that are just animals with minimal doodads stuck to them.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also aren't there supposed to be new monsters in this one? Literally all I've got that's new is wizard fox and bandit croc, then it's lapras, shelgon, venusaur, and swalot. And I was just naturally catching/receiving not looking for any specific stuff.

There are new monsters, but they have very low encounter rates. Some of them, I never even encountered in the wild until the post game or had to get a friend to trade me.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

We don’t have a Pegasus Pokémon yet, so I would love it if Galarian Ponyta/Rapidash was one. Just add wings!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Flopsy posted:

As long as they fix rapidash's anime eyes. It's a perfectly good horse but the eyes always put me off somehow.

I hope it has eyes like Sylveon.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Galarian Ponyta locked down Shield for me. I need that Pokémon and don’t want to have to trade for it.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I can’t pick just 5, cause I want so many of these to come back.

National Dex
Following Pokémon
Riding Pokémon
Battle Frontier
Contests
World Tournament
Join Avenue
Secret Bases
Triple Battles
Seasons

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I would much rather ride a Pokémon than a bike. I think if there were a selection of rideable Pokémon, it would be cool to be able to set one you own as a mount, and if you don’t have any set, then you get the bike as a default.

Ride Pokémon are great, but it would be neat to customize them and have them be your own Pokémon, rather than the generic summon Pokémon. Have like 50-60 Pokémon be rideable, so they’re a little bit exclusive, but not terribly difficult to obtain.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Zuzie posted:

Now how do we go about improving Delcatty?

Fairy typing and a better ability.

Skitty and Delcatty look like Fairy types to the same degree with Snubull and Granbull do.

I love Delcatty and would love for her to be better. I have a cute contest star Delcatty from Emerald. The only thing I could really do with it was contests.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I’m pleasantly surprised by that Grookey evo. Might choose him and name him Gorillaz.

Sobble evo though, I really don’t like his giant human hands.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Each starters best stage:

Ivysaur
Wartortle
Charizard

Bayleef
Feraligatr
Quilava

Grovyle
Swampert
Torchic

Torterra
Piplup
Monferno

Tepig
Oshawott
Serperior

Chespin
Frogadier
Fennekin

Rowlet
Torracat
Primarina

Nessa fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 3, 2019

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Super No Vacancy posted:

for the third version they should make a game starring nessa

My game already stars Nessa. :p

I made my trainer number 666 when my husband pointed out I could do that. Number of the beast, baby!

I also got a shiny female Wobuffet fairly early on. I nearly didn’t catch her. Named her Lady Wa.

Trainer cards are great, but I wish we could put Pokémon in them too, like the photobooth from USUM. I had so much fun taking photos every time I won a trial or a friend evolved.

At the beginning of the game I was like, “Why did my mom give me so much money?!” Then I got to the boutique and I realized, “Ahhhh.... because of fashion!”

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I think Pokejobs are neat and all, but I really would have liked to see actual quests, which I guess they had in Let’s Go?

Examples:

A kid got their balloon stuck in a tree, so you go use a Pokémon with wings to get it for them.

A girl in town lost her necklace somewhere in an icy cave. You find it and use a Pokémon with a fire move to melt the ice it’s stuck in and give it back.

An elderly person is moving house and you can use a Pokémon that can carry things to help move boxes.

Stuff like that. Just have Pokémon be able to use various field moves. And also, Pokémon following you would be great, And ride Pokémon too. I’d rather gallop through the Wild Area on a Mudsdale or Rapidash than on a bike where I have to wear a stupid cycling outfit.

The Wild Area also needs a mini map, I think, but it could also do with some side areas like hidden cave dungeons or areas to climb. Let me explore a crumbling old castle or some catacombs.

The game is still fun, but these are some things that I really think could help make it shine.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I know it’s a small thing, but I was immediately disappointed when I went into the box the first time and saw there were no wallpapers. 7th Gen was garbage for wallpapers after gens 5 and 6 were so good. Wallpapers are crucial to my box organization!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Fancy Hat! posted:

There are, you just have to select the Box Name to do so.

Wait, what? It’s under Box name now? Well... good to know they aren’t gone I guess!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Bit of a left field question for the thread but I'm tired as all hell and kinda curious, what's everyones favorite underdog pokemon?

Like one that rarely gets any merch or attention. It's just something that gets overlooked a lot?
I'd say Chansey for me but I know that thing gets used a lot in comp scenes when it's a option, so I'd go with Corsola as my runner up. I also like Dragonite even though a lot of people really don't like it.

Oh, there’s so many.

Magcargo: I love his goofy face.
Politoed: Cute frog friend.
Delcatty: I think it’s really cute.
Tropius: only really got attention as an HM slave, but I love it.
Swoobat: Just a cute, fuzzy bat friend.
Cinccino: Does this one count? I absolutely adore my chinchilla.
Dedenne: poor little dear can’t learn any good Fairy moves, but was my adorable Pick-Up friend for the post game of X.
Toucannon: I love my angry bird.

There are so many great Pokémon that don’t get a whole lot of Spotlight.

Blaziken386 posted:

does anyone have any idea why the game forces you to wear the gym challenger uniform even during championship rematches? :psyduck:

I'm honestly baffled, and I'd hate to think it was a specific design choice to fill the game with cool, expensive boutiques and then go "okay, here you go, you can wear these stupid looking pajamas during the important fights"

there's no part of the championship that's pre-rendered, the game lets you do dynamax animations with your regular clothes during raids, your hair is still allowed to be custom... I don't get it! They look bad! I'm not a challenger anymore!! Let me take them off!! Leon was allowed to wear different clothes as champion, every other region's champion has stylish outfits, why must I wear the same uniform from the beginning of the game?

Yeah, I’m not a fan of it either. :/ I’m not really a “sports” person, so the whole sports theme doesn’t really do anything for me.

I spent all this money to look super punk rock for the Dark gym, only to change into my sports uniform, despite the gym battle taking place in a mosh pit. I felt really out of place.

Nessa fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Yaaay my duck :h:
Weird that sold out items just vanish from the search entirely, giving no hint they ever existed. And yeah, why no Canadian shipping?? :(

Pokémon centre not shipping to Canada is a drat shame, but it’s probably saved me a bunch of money.

Though I did buy a special Chandelure line teacup and saucer for $50 back in Gen 5 because it was limited edition Halloween merch that I got shipped from Japan. The best part is the tiny Joltik hanging from a thread on the saucer.