Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
If Nintendo had any sense they’d be giving out Alolan Meowths via Mystery Gift on December 25th, because Mele Kalikimaka is the island greeting that we send to you from the land where Meowth is gray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I named my Dracovish 'Abomanathan,' a portmanteau I was proud of.

Then I couldn't think of a similar one that would fit for Dracozolt so I just named him 'Mean Sean.' v:v:v

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
If they add anyone from Gen 8 to Smash it had better be Dracovish. :colbert:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Hammerite posted:

It is a hack. I'm not going to go around telling people how they should and shouldn't play the game, but exploits and hacks are all the same thing.

They're really not. When people are concerned about "hacked Pokemon" they're generally concerned about ones that weren't generated by the game and thus could potentially fail legality checks. Semantics of the word "hack" aside, a Pokemon obtained by cycling through raid dens via an exploit is still generated by the game legitimately.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

Hyper Voice is also a spread move, so hitting both opponents is definitely relevant. Downside is Hyper Voice doesn't change types when Dynamaxed, so sometimes gotta run 2 "water" moves if you plan on Maxing the Primarina.

I think it does, at least it does with Sylveon's Pixilate. For Sylveon, IIRC the move selection says it's Normal type but it will also say it'll be super effective against the types Fairy would be super effective against. It's also called "Max Strike" in the move select but then plays the animation for Max Starfall. I would be really surprised if it worked differently for HA Primarina.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I think what would really help Dynamax Adventures to go more smoothly is to have the matchmaking prioritize matching up people looking for the same legendary. Shared link codes would still be highest priority, then shared legendary, then "anything is fine" as the lowest priority.

I'm sick of randos ruining my Giratina raids. :argh:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Leraika posted:

What I'd like is some sort of sticker system so people can communicate things like 'save this dynamax for me' and 'use screens'.

Yeah, some kind of basic communication system would be great, both in and out of battle. Continuing with the Giratina example, when the board reveals only Dragon, if I could just pop up a thing that strings two types together so I can convey it's Dragon/Ghost we would avoid so much hassle. It's not like it makes the playing field any less level; if I'm playing with friends on voice chat, I can tell them who the boss is. Hell, even seeing other people's votes before the path is decided would be potentially helpful.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Having legendaries or mythicals be possible to get early on at a low level has already been proven to be fun as hell with the Arceus event in HGSS. Hatching a level 1 Giratina to play through HeartGold was some of the most ridiculous fun I’ve had in a Pokémon game, if only for the novelty of it. Even unintentionally it’s great; it was always super fun to glitch out Gen 1’s encounter tables and make Mew show up at level 7 to use through the rest of the game.

The way mythicals are distributed now feels like a vestige of “Gotta catch ‘em all!” when just the idea of getting a new Pokémon was exciting, but I think both the franchise (in the sense that that hasn’t been the slogan for years) and audience are pretty over that now.

.... Except in our lizard brains that drive us to sign up for the Pokémon trainers club newsletter to get Zarude even though we’re fully aware we won’t use him.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I just named mine Kicky Boy, because he kicks stuff. In my first/main playthrough I named my Sobble Sid, because she looked like a Sid to me.

Sometimes it’s clever puns like Gassius the Weezing or Bill Ding* the Duraludon and then sometimes it’s “I dunno he kicks stuff I guess I’ll do something with that :shrug:” There’s basically no in between for me with nicknames.

* Full name is Bill Ding the Structure Thing

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Bobulus posted:

Just checking: the code with the new monk-mythical hasn't gone out for English audiences in that newsletter, right? I never got it.

I remember reading somewhere that the code will go out this Friday. I think I saw someone else say that on discord though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
It’s weird, I’m not super happy with what’s been shown of BDSP so far and the apparent lack of Platinum changes is a real bummer, but I’m still looking forward to playing Brilliant Diamond because I played the originals with my abusive ex back in 2007 and I’m looking forward to creating much fonder memories of Sinnoh with my wife. That alone will make it worthwhile. :unsmith:

… Unless the games totally suck I guess, like below baseline “well, it’s Pokémon.” That seems unlikely.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Name her Freckles, but if you do, you have to promise to never put her on a team with a Durant.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Carlosologist posted:

does anyone ever think about Galar and Unova featuring lots of the same Pokémon as an analogy for Great Britain and the United States being counterparts in real life

Absolutely. My headcanon is that at least some of the dex overlap is due to settlers bringing Pokemon over during the Unovan colonial period.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
If they want SwSh to be the game from which all competitive battling occurs (which I think they've mentioned previously), it would only make sense for them to patch in all the BDSP Pokemon.

For 99% of developers this would mean there's an almost 100% chance of it happening. Since this is GameFreak, it's like 50%.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I’ve run into a wild shiny twice. The first time was in Platinum, when I was surfing and encountered a shiny Pelipper. I named him Vlasic (I know the Vlasic mascot is a stork, but it felt appropriate enough at the time). My then-girlfriend (now ex) convinced me to trade it to her, and later she collected all her shinies, Vlasic included, in My Pokemon Ranch on my Wii.

… Then my Wii died, I had to ship it back to Nintendo, and it came back with the system memory totally erased. RIP Vlasic, we hardly knew ye.

The other one was early last year when I was trying to hatch a shiny in Sword. I was idling by the Wild Area daycare and a Cutiefly flew up to me, initiating a battle, and it turned out to be a shiny. That one I got to keep, and I think it’s sitting in my “to train” box. Someday I will get around to it… maybe.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 31, 2021

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

BTW this is the gang tag.

Mods please do the needful

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Yeah when I got through sword I felt like a third version would have been the perfect treatment for it. It's kind of a shame that the era of third versions is apparently over.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
It would be nice if they stopped focusing on box legendaries so much, but it's been happening since gen 2... although I guess Gold and Silver aren't really "about" Lugia and Ho-Oh, so maybe that's a nice balance. It's weird to imagine the Kanto games as modern Pokemon games (as in not remakes, but entirely new games). The plot would revolve around the three birds, with Red centering on Moltres and Blue on Articuno, with Zapdos at the power plant with no fanfare whatsoever until Yellow, which somehow ties them all together and puts Zapdos in the spotlight.

Focusing on the tournaments would be great, but it would also be fine if the evil team was just a bunch of criminals again. I feel like they really started losing the thread with Gen 3, because the stakes were too high there, and then they just had to keep topping that.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Team Skull - Breakdance battles with your bros
Team Yell - Getting too excited about a minor

Really SuMo and SwSh did the same subversion of expectations, where the initial "villain team" is introduced, revealed to be mostly harmless, and then the true villain team is introduced. In SuMo it was the Aether Foundation, and then in SwSh it was... well, probably supposed to be Macro Cosmos, but they didn't really stick the landing there.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I am loving PLA but there should have been a Hisuian Honedge/Doublade/Aegislash with a katana/samurai theme and a Hisuian Porygon called Porigami.
Also a Hisuian Yanmega that's Bug/Dragon, because that should've been its typing in the first place. :colbert:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
If you liked Diamond and Pearl BDSP is fine. The graphics look kind of weird but if you're comparing it to Diamond and Pearl on the DS, it's about the same with a lot of QoL improvements. I don't really understand how they could be considered worse than the originals, but I'm sure someone is going to tell me while implying that I'm a loving idiot.

The problem with BDSP is that it's faithful to Diamond and Pearl when it should have been two remakes of Platinum.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I'd be down with a regional variant for Chinchou because then maybe it would evolve into something that actually looks cool.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Awwww, I like Lanturn......

Lanturn is fine but I just feel like 'conventionally cute' and 'anglerfish' don't really go together. It just feels like a missed opportunity to not have some snaggletoothed underbite monstrosity (as much as a Pokemon can actually be a monstrosity) as the ultimate evolution of one. Lanturn's design reminds me more of a dolphin (which we also haven't had a proper Pokemon based on yet).

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

You're not wrong, Lanturn is great but we're still missing a really nasty anglerfish Pokemon. The kind that looks like something out of the nightmare of a drowning child.

:haibrow:

For real though, like, something with a general -vish vibe but with an underbite that has Strong Jaw and can use Thunder Fang and Fishious Rend, that like the -vish headed mons, look like they would eat your face but would actually prefer to chow down on a box of crayons instead.

Also, really neither here nor there, I want a regional Tyranitar variant because Tyranitar is cool as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

The Gillman posted:

I have a spare Genesect and Volcanion code pair for the fastest one.

Looks like I'm the fastest one. Thanks!