Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
Lickitung

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

indigi posted:

yeah I really don't think this decision had anything to do with resources, balance, or a long term creative decision. Game Freak is just run by a bunch of dorks with ADHD and very questionable design instincts who do poo poo on a whim

Yeah, I think this is nintendo's M.O. as whole, for better and worse

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

The problem with Qwilfish and Stantler specifically is that their designs are so meh, the names are fine I guess, and their availability is awful. Like, I have no idea if they’re even in any regional dex beyond Johto’s and they’re rare even there.

They’re generic as hell so there’s nothing good or bad about them to remember, they aren’t great in battle so no memory there, and they rarely appear to remind you they exist.

I'd say cherubi/cherrim wins because they have the same problem, but stantler/qwilfish can be found through normal means but cherubi's tied to a tedious gimmick which most people are only interacting with for much better rewards (combee/heracross/munchlax)

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
Anyone who's tried gyms without dynamaxing here? From what I've seen in streams, using it just seems to trivialize them worse than mega-evos did and I'm wondering if going without is a more reasonable challenge or if you just get one-shot for it

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

Man Ultra Sun feels like it has some odd balancing, I turned off exp share halfway through the first island cause it seemed like it'd make it too easy and it didn't have any negative impact until now, I'm at this fire trial and it seems like they expect your pokemon to be way higher than the Marowak and it's accompanying Salazzle cause they are loving my team up. Like, they outspeed everything, deal shitloads of damage and tank stuff that is supposedly super effective against them, feels like a proper brick wall the likes of which I have never encountered in a Pokemon game.

they decided to make up for how easy it was to destroy totem salazzle in SuMo

you kind of need intimidate to deal with that fight if you aren't overlevelled since they thought giving that thing a thick club wasn't overkill

e: lol they moved the bulldoze TM to konikoni

Wellwinds fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 30, 2019

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

I don't think there are any lazy game developers, at least not among those who actually ship products.

The root cause of the uneven quality of Game Freak's output seems to be structural, and I would guess that it's not a problem that can be satisfactorily solved by throwing more money at it.

They don't want to kill the golden goose, so they're being cautious and conservative about any changes, rather than panic and make huge sweeping mandates. This is actually a good thing, because studios and franchises die when publishers panic.

There will continue to be disappointments, because everything they're doing to improve things (hiring more people, reusing the HD models, contracting out remakes) is a slow process. Just, for god's sake, that's no reason to be a baby about it.

IIRC there was some comment from GF about not wanting to be stuck doing fifa making basically the same game every year so i think the problem is the opposite. They want to try big new changes like the wild area but don't have time to shore them up, meanwhile they're perfectly comfortable announcing a cut to a roster that hasn't been touched in decades

I sort of wonder if legends is partly an attempt to deal with this and give the people feeling creatively stifled something fresh to mess with

Wellwinds fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 14, 2021

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Muscle Tracer posted:

The one that really works is Girafarig because it's just the butt that's psychic. But yeah why is say Litleo half-normal but Growlithe or Ponyta isn't?

liondogs and unicorns aren't real

artdogs and tsuchinokos however, are

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Zore posted:

B/W1 were some of the worst games in the series because they had the least variety with almost a third of the Pokedex being locked behind the 7th gym into the postgame.

Like its absolutely insanely bad for any sort of replay because you really don't have a lot of choices! Red/Blue have literally double the Pokemon availability before the first gym and open you up to nearly the entire dex minus Mew, Moltres and Mewtwo around the fourth or fifth gym when you get surf and strength.

Conversely B/W has like 17 legendaries, event mons, mons that don't evolve until Postgame and new poo poo on every route up to and including Victory Road. While only having 156 monsters. You get a real fraction of the choice and its pretty unforgiveable.

Yeah this is why gen 5 is my least favorite along with some of its best designs like bouffalant and braviary coming in super late and also neat stuff like tynamo and cryogonal being locked behind really terrible encounter rates

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Flopsy posted:

Funny thing is both gens 6 & 7 had more bang for their buck. I liked practically every single thing in their pokedexes and that's usually rare for me.

Yeah, personal taste and all but a lot of gen V felt like they aped a gen 1 thing because they needed to fill space for the "region with only new pokemon" design they had going

I've got a theory that gen three's less than great reception caused them to overcorrect towards gen 1 aesthetics (mostly darker heavily saturated designs) and gen 6 was when they were able to marry their own vision of what pokemon should be with that of the longtime fanbases

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Flopsy posted:

That original design has horrifying implications about Girafarig's digestive cycle.

Well, i mean dark types are assholes

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

I still think S/M had one of the most egregious ones, where someone's Stouland just really wanted to sniff around the area so you were not allowed to pass.

Sw/Sh had some pretty silly ones too.

~Today we're dancing for no reason. Someday we'll disappear for no reason.~

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
Crystal's great because there's two dudes whose goals in life are to be chosen ones and you bumble into town and steal both their spots

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Who’s the second dude?

Morty's whole thing is training because he wants to be worthy enough to meet Ho-Oh

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
Played gens 1-7 and 5 ended up my least favorite. I don't hate the idea of a region with nothing but new stuff in the campaign but BW's roster definitely felt bloated with direct translations of gen 1 monsters that just... weren't done well enough while all the actually interesting stuff doesn't start showing up until past the fifth gym. That and a load of legendaries that just do not hit for me at all

Gen 6 otoh has basically zero misses for me, and for all that kalos ended up lacking its still my most replayed pokemon game just for variety and megas

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
fat bear week ursaring is good

Chloe Jessica posted:

Sneasler? loving really? they stuck one letter on the end and called it a day? :nallears:

its a dr seuss character

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Vandar posted:

Also give Falkner a Hoothoot, Natu, or a Murkrow, and give Bugsy a Spinrank, Ledyba, or a Yamna, thanks.

Half of johto's gym leaders use no new pokemon and the other half use a single one

Kind of neat thing I just noticed: gen one represented every original type between the leaders/E4 except...flying, bug and normal. Johto covered those three and the types of the original E4 plus steel, giving a gym rep for every type.

...Except dark.

I think the designers in gen 1/2 were still building the games way more as traditional rpg with types being related to the status of the 'bosses' and later games more successfully started evening out an ecosystem. Feels like dark types were meant to come across as powerful and rare because they were Karen's signature in the same way as Lance and dragons in gen 1 and that's why you only got to use umbreon before kanto and dratini was essentially locked behind minigame sidequests

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

I feel like this is probably partially due to Dark type actually being called Evil type in Japan. They probably didn't really want an Evil gym leader because gym leaders are supposed to be good dudes who are challenging trainers.

Except in Pokemon Special where like half of the gym leaders were in Team Rocket.

Weird how they were fine having multiple elite four members be dark reps over the years

Maybe less worried about evil gym leaders and more that it ended up in the designated type for the evil teams to use and they wanted the leaders distinct in a way the E4 haven't ever gotten. Makes sense with yell being directly connected to the leader and nanu gets to be a good guy because Guzma's running bugs

Also just realized the only time a poison gym shows up outside of Fuschia city is in BW2

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

in ruby and sapphire you could show i think barboach to a guy in sootopolis city to compete over size. its always been there in the lore this is just the first time its been meaningfully implemented in the gameplay/graphics

IIRC there were prizes for fishing up a large enough magikarp in the lake of rage in GSC

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

I think the big problem with Pokemon and trying to do epic battle is that they're really hamstrung by forcing the single player stuff to play by the same rules as PvP. This means there's a hard cap on what an enemy's stats can be, so they can't do stuff like Final Fantasy where a boss has 10x the HP of the player characters as well as higher stats. Same thing for moves, enemies can't have unexpected moves (in the sense that every move a Pokemon can potentially learn is known to the player) or very powerful ones that force a player to change up their strategy. If the enemy is Pokemon A, I know that I can always outspeed it if I have Pokemon B with this nature and this held item, or that I can always OHKO it if I have Pokemon C with this move and this ability.

The closest they've come to having Pokemon that are a greater threat to the player than usual (while within a standard turn based system, so stuff like Conquest doesn't count) are Pokemon XD where Shadow moves were super effective on non-Shadow Pokemon, and Legends Arceus where they completely redid the EV system. Colosseum/XD also manage to be a little better than the mainline games at having battles be slightly more challenging by being completely based around double battling, which sometimes require different setups and different tactics than 1v1.

But yeah ultimately I don't think Pokemon can do your standard big JRPG battles just purely because of how the games are designed. Whether that's good or bad is up to your opinion.

Totem mons did a good job as proper boss encounters, at least when you couldn't wipe them by hitting quadruple weaknesses. That constant rain aqua ring wishiwashi was probably the toughest ingame battle pokemon's ever had

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Yeah, he was, I was just including him since he's admitedly a high point of the game.

Funny enough if we go by playtimes then X/Y would probably be my top game with Platinum since I actually spent time building competitive stuff, even if X/Y are kinda middling otherwise. I guess it's on them having the best online IMO, PSS was quick and amazing.

X and Y get poo poo on a lot but they had probably the best combination of like, system updates to the game out of them all. Wonder trade, online stuff in general, improvements to breeding, debatably the exp share update, and clothing options. You could also argue that it was a soft intro to stuff like ride pokemon and megas as a concept were definitely an influence on future regional form(e)s

It introduced a lot of stuff that's been carried forward with mixed success but it's the only one I think where everything worked solidly without much in serious steps back. It just has an unimpressive story and a region that was pretty mediocre and the opportunity to improve on those was rolled into SuMo

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

There's no story, progression, side gmes, or any of the charm that was in the stadium. Or at least the first one, I never played stadium 2.
I won a copy of battle rev during gamestop's tournament promotion shing. It was basically Smogon for gen 4 but without the ability to make your own pokemon.

2 had everything the first one did but with more pokemon to use, and some pretty fun/hard stuff like the round 2 fight with Lt Surge's surfing raichu and the "Oops All Explosion" team

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
It's kind of strange seeing how the designs have evolved to the point that they either loop back almost to gen one style or feel almost like fangame creations

Its the first switch era game that's really tempting me though

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
So what's the current state of compatibility on the switch games? I'd guess that SwSh didn't get the missing stuff patched in with the remakes but are BDSP walled gardens of their own?

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Each game (or pair of games) only contains Pokemon available in it, plus SwSh have the Alolan and non-Galarian forms for Pokemon included in them. BDSP includes every Pokemon from generations 1-4 (no regional forms), Legends has only things in its own dex which is mostly generation 4 Pokemon, some but not all of the other stuff that's in Sinnoh, the new forms, Alolan Vulpix/Ninetales, and non-Hisuian Sneasel (but not other regional forms of any other Pokemon).

You can transfer eligible Pokemon in or out of any Switch game through HOME, and Pokemon have different saved movesets between SwSh, BDSP, and Legends. Let's Go is still restricted to Pokemon that have only been in those game, though.

Too bad, guess I'll see if ScarVi changes from this then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Zuzie posted:

The main reason for the change is because it becomes more difficult to keep supporting the entire Pokemon roster (which is now pushing to a thousand named creatures plus all the variations) for each entry while also developing the rest of the game on increasingly advanced hardware on top also keeping with a development cycle of 3 years.

They probably couldn't go back even if they really wanted to because that would mean a compromise to the games themselves or shackling their employees to this behemoth.

ScarVi will probably clarify what their plans in general, I could see them letting the gen defining games on a system have the national dex

Even if not, there will 100% be a game in the future where they go "EVERYONE IS HERE"; it's too tempting a marketing play to never pull. I think the 30th anniversary might coincide enough with gen 10 for them to make a pokemon generations ultimate (if the switch isn't dead yet)