Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

'Allo Guv'nah!
Can I walk your Grookey for tuppence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Like Clockwork posted:

The secret is that all Pokemon are S-tier

Except the monkey trio

:hai:

Amppelix posted:

I can accept people having favourite pokemon, that's normal and understandable.

What is not acceptable is throwing other people's favourites in the trash!

But some Pokemon are literally bags of trash!

I have a soft spot for Illumise because it was my sweet scenter in X which finally allowed me to trigger a Taillow horde after looking for one for quite literally months

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

chaosapiant posted:

How hard is Mimikyu to catch? Since false swipe doesn’t even effect him, I’m spinning my wheels murdering him everyone.

It's not that bad. I premier balled my Pika-Boo

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Johnny Joestar posted:

we might have to live with the horror of one of the starters staying monotype

I really want to see a full starter trio that gains the fire-grass-water effectiveness relationship in reverse as final Evo secondary type. I haven't recently scanned the type chart to see if it's possible but I've always thought it would be cool to have the tables turned like that.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Gruckles posted:

fire/grass soccer rabbit
grass/water sea monkey
water/fire uh... steamy chameleon

I was thinking of types not already represented in the starters prevos but you got me.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Winklebottom posted:

Something like Grass/Fight, Fire/Rock, Water/Flying?

I can't think of any clever names for these

Yeah more like this.

Winklebottom posted:

Same body as Scorbunny, but now with a huge pair of steel cleats

A bigger beefier body, Rugbunny.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

NewFatMike posted:

Nerds would complain about it being a recycled Lake of Rage Red Gyarados. Which sucks because catching a Red Gyarados owned.

E: is Gen 2 the only generation that had standing single-encounter non-legendary mons? Lapras in Union Cave being the other standout.

Snorlax in Gen I? Or are they dq because there were two?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

chaosapiant posted:

I just moved into my new house. It’s big and empty and I have no internet. Thankfully I can stay up with the dog and play Pokémon all night because I have the week off of work. Thank you for reading. That is my story!

Also fun fact: I’m a grown rear end man with a giant squirtel plushy on my desk at work.

Eh, you good buddy.

I don't think I have anything overtly Pokemon related in my office at work aside from my old DS Lite and 3DS that I keep on my desk while I'm there.

The LEGO covering every other horizontal surface of my office on the other hand...

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

So this story about the interplay of Trevenant, Litwick, and Phantump gets me feeling some strong feels every time.

Trevenant: It can control trees at will. It will trap people who harm the forest, so they can never leave.

Litwick: While shining a light and pretending to be a guide, it leeches off the life force of any who follow it.

Source 1
Source 2

Here's a more recent story the same author did about Yamask and Cofagrigius

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

remove all the pikachu clones

Limit Spessmans. :colbert:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

iospace posted:

Somehow ended up with a wild Pokerus mon THAT I DIDN'T NOTICE.

Thankfully it didn't expire on me :getin:

My kid and I both caught pokerus in Alola route one. I had to sneakily steal her 3ds to make sure she didn't lose contagiousness. Her strain lasts longer than mine :eng99:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Flopsy posted:

edit: And his invention the Holocaster. Real subtle.

:aaaaa: how in the hell did I only JUST get this?!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Ometeotl posted:

Is there supposed to be a punchline here?

Yes, it's water starters are bad

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Flopsy posted:

Eastern standard time. Just give me heads up on here when you're available.

Surely it's Eastern Daylight Time as of today? :science:
I'm assuming you're in the US.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Avalerion posted:

This one would make sense, honestly.

Nice av. Is it new?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Avalerion posted:

Is Guzma being abused because of the bent golf clubs in his house? I figured that's because he bent them each time he lost rather than cause he got beat with them, though I could see how the other read would fit with everything else around him, huh.
Also what his dad says about beating and then being beat in the end.

Avalerion posted:

Thanks, yea. Keeping the forum alive and stuff.
:hfive: I need to make my donation.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Random side observation: I started playing Let's Go Eevee in earnest this last week and I think this game is going to break me. I still avoid tall grass if I'm not trying to catch anything, but that instinct is being whittled away slowly. I think when Sword/Shield come out I'm going to be sprinting through tall grass like a careless idiot and utterly shocked when I battle every british-ratatta between here and jolly London-town.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

I kinda wish my kids weren't old enough to have aged out of the monpoke market. :shobon:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Sesq posted:

I have a question about Let's Go. I'm playing it with a kid I'm babysitting, and we made it to Fuchsia City. I moved a bunch of Pokémon she liked in my Go game over, and I encouraged her to rebuild her team. What's the best way to go about catching up their XP for the next time she's over? I've never really tried power-leveling in Let's Go. They're mostly about level 25, and I'd like them around 35 or so. We've only made it to Fuchsia and don't have the Surf HM equivalent yet. Also, if I need to restock on Pokeballs, do I have to use up all my Great and Ultra Balls before I can get more from the guy who gives them out for free? Any other way to grind money for balls?

You get surf right outside the Pokemon Go building in Fuchsia City. Talk to the Lapras dude.

If you've run out of trainers to battle, catching Pokemon gives your team XP and I think nuggets and stuff respawn in the underground paths from from Cerulean to Vermilion City, and Lavender Town to Celadon City. Sell the nuggets and make bank.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The anime just always neglects Ash's birds, in Johto he had a goddamn shiny Noctowl that was barely used.

To be fair, Hoothoot was my first every shiny and once it evolved to Noctowl it stopped pulling it's weight on the team and got boxed.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Flopsy posted:

Can somebody pop in a link to the trade thread please? I have couple requests I'd like to make and I'm having trouble finding it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837723

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

I didn't see anybody post about this, but if you did the February online competition, you can get your Shiny Tapu Bulu:
Here's the announcement

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Guzma episode was good.

My boy.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

HopperUK posted:

I did it, I got a Switch to play Let's Go and the new game when it comes out. I pretend I'll use it for other games but this will be the third or fourth console I've owned just for pokemon.

don't care

:hfive:
This is literally me. I've owned a DS Lite, 3DS, and Switch pretty much only for Pokemon. I got to Fuchsia City in Let's Go Eevee and then basically plateau'd so that I could work on getting Meltan/Melmetal in Pokemon Go and eventually Let's Go as well.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Zuzie posted:

Nope! In order to move those special Pikachu to a future game, you need to remove the thing that makes them special in the first place because game design.

However, you can get a Surfing Pikachu is USUM without any fancy events and that can be kept since Surf isn't an HM any longer.

It broke my heart to remove Fly from my special yellow forest Pikachu to move it up to my hall of champions in Bank. :smith:
I have plans to clone it and put it back down in Heart Gold with Fly intact as Arceus intended.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

mandatory lesbian posted:

I can't believe you murder Pokemon Boris Johnson in the new game

The big bad is Nigel Farage

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

absolutely anything posted:

"all the pokemon i don't like look like digimon" -- every idiot who makes bad posts

Idk about you but all the Pokemon I don't like look like Kanto Golem.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Nasgate posted:

Actually in retrospect, Ultra Recon Squad kinda is bad because literally every other character seems unimportant when their theme isn't th-ese
You grabbed the wrong song, homie. Don't worry, I gotchu fam.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

gently caress, I just nuked my post accidentally but here's the gist:
Wrasslepig and the Iron Giant are good, Kanto Golem is trash from the garbage, and check out Deino, Zweilous, and Hydreigon.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Silver2195 posted:

Persian is one of the laziest Pokemon names. They didn't even go for the obvious pun and spell it Purrsian.

Seel.

SEEL!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Moriatti posted:

Target audience demographic is deffo 23-35 with parents and children as a bonus.

My 8yo pokemon playing kid is pretty hyped to see it. As am I, despite still wanting Danny DeVito to be Pikachu's voice.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

SuperKlaus posted:

Is there any trick to catching the Gen 1 legendary birb in X or am I really stuck roaming Kalos forever praying the annoying thing doesn't decide to change routes across the country before I can reach its location?

I think I kept camping the border of two routes in which it could show up and checking every time I crossed. If I was on the same route as it, I would go hunting.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

RatHat posted:

Search Level's effect on everything except Shiny chance caps at 100 right?

Also, are Horde encounters just crazy rare or what? I'm at 5 gym badges and I've caught all the Pokemon in nearly every area I've encountered and still never saw a Horde battle. I know you can force it with Sweet Scent or Honey but I thought they happened randomly too.

They do happen on occasion, but sweet scent is the fuckin' way to go. I spent so many weeks trying to catch a goddamned Taillow in X before learning about sweet scent.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

d3lness posted:

Just picked up a copy of Platinum. Any random game bullshit I should be aware of for the story out just the usual "don't build a totally poo poo party and you'll be fine"?

Platinum is the best of Gen IV, which is a low bar to clear. If you like fire types, you're gonna be disappointed.
And gently caress roaming pokemon forever.

Aside from that:
:havlat: :havlat: :havlat: SHINY TAPU FINI HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED :havlat: :havlat: :havlat:

https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/986a6896-e2ad-4c7c-b050-a6984d597e93

The May International Challenge's participation award is the last of the shiny Tapus to get released. Team registration begins on May 16th. Details in the link above.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

RatHat posted:

So even if you don't intend to seriously compete you can just sign up, play(and lose) a battle, and get your shiny right? Actually the rules don't even say you need to play a single battle.

You need to do three battles during the official event window (I think it's the 24th-26th) to get the participation award. I forgot for one of these and didn't get the Pokemon code.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Electric Phantasm posted:

I can't believe someone would do this...

Film of the loving year

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Does anyone have a good way to convert .pk7 pokemon to .pk4?
PKHeX won't do it for me, and all of the pk4's I generated using pk2pk are rejected by PKHeX as being pk5's despite the pk4 vs. pk5 files for the same pokemon having different md5 checksums.
I just want to backport my living dex into all of my old games, too.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

oddium posted:

bring 👏 back 👏 poketch 👏

and dexnav

I never got into poketch. So many of the apps seemed useless to me.

Dexnav is a gift from Arceus itself.

Also:

Nth Doctor posted:

Does anyone have a good way to convert .pk7 pokemon to .pk4?
PKHeX won't do it for me, and all of the pk4's I generated using pk2pk are rejected by PKHeX as being pk5's despite the pk4 vs. pk5 files for the same pokemon having different md5 checksums.
I just want to backport my living dex into all of my old games, too.

I figured this out. The Homebrew app PKSM has an on-card Pokemon Bank-alike with up to 2000 boxes worth of space. And it lets you time capsule Pokemon down to any Gen IV-VII game. Probably works with the VC gen I and II games too.

The prompts are just a little weird so I didn't understand that not saving changes to storage when exiting means that anything you took out of storage and put on your game gets cloned if you save your game when exiting.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Nth Doctor posted:

Platinum is the best of Gen IV, which is a low bar to clear. If you like fire types, you're gonna be disappointed.
And gently caress roaming pokemon forever.

Aside from that:
:havlat: :havlat: :havlat: SHINY TAPU FINI HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED :havlat: :havlat: :havlat:

https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/986a6896-e2ad-4c7c-b050-a6984d597e93

The May International Challenge's participation award is the last of the shiny Tapus to get released. Team registration begins on May 16th. Details in the link above.

Don't forget that tomorrow is the opening of team registrations. See details in the link above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

YaketySass posted:

He keeps asking for rematches and every time his challenge line is lamer and more fatalistic. OTOH he's less obnoxious than Tierno, who has one character trait he never shut up about.

Tierno inspired my awesome-as-gently caress Ultra Sun team of singer Primarina and her backup dancers, and I will brook no words against him.

Zedd posted:

Hau on the other hand is so drat chill and just a nice dude. He gets he isn't the hero but he is enjoying the ride anyway.

Hau is the protagonist and you spend your first few weeks in Alola Gary Oak-ing the gently caress out of his culture's rite of passage. Then you capture his gods and put them into a box forever like the colonizer trash you are-

at least that's what I did.