Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

The only good part of the 4kids dub was Team Rocket. :colbert:

True, but they're pretty fun in the orginal as well (also Japanese Jessie is voiced by Lina Inverse).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

My only real gripe with the new cast is that Ash sounds a bit too old, otherwise most of them are fine.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Team Rocket song gets in my head from time to time, despite not hearing it in like 15 years. "We'll start a riot in Sunday school" is a great lyric.

Huh, I thought that lyric was supposed to be "We can start a riot and someday we'll school them". Still a good song though (as is the original theme for the 4Kids version of the first season).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SuperKlaus posted:

Why's Team Rocket want Pikachu? Do they know he's a Let's Go special Pikachu with abnormal stats?

Near as I can tell, it kicked their asses once during Jessie and James' first appearance (albeit with the help of several other Pikachu) so they came to the conclusion that it's abnormally strong and therefore worth stealing (and to be fair that's kind of true).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 5, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

It's obvious what the solution is: have Game Freak remake those 2 games and then they can be bumped up to mainline status!

Or at the very least port them to the Switch at some point.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, whatever happened to Ekans/Arbok and Koffing/Weezing in the anime anyway?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

indigi posted:

do Jesse or James have even a single badge

Jessie's taken part in a few contests and the two once filled in for Giovanni at the Viridian City gym but I don't think either of them have ever actually tried challenging a gym themselves.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of the anime, Guzma finally makes his debut next week.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I looked it up and apparently Guzma is FINALLY going to be in the anime this season, when that happens someone please let me know.

He shows up in next week's episode. Not entirely sure why it took so long since Team Skull has been around since the start (though they don't show up all that much) and we've already been through the whole Lusamine arc but the anime has typically always played fast and loose with the story of the games.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Didn't the Cardcaptor Sakura dub actually erase the straight romance as well, as part of their attempt to turn it into a shonen series?

Basically, I haven’t seen it personally but from what I understand they hacked the show up so much that a lot of fans generally consider the Cardcaptor dub to be a separate series entirely.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Violet_Sky posted:

I liked the dub when I was a kid, but I like the original much more as an adult. I think you can show the original to American kids nowadays (excluding the weird teacher student romance between a fourth grader and her teacher.)

Didn’t the show eventually get a second dub later on that was a bit more accurate to the source?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BattleCattle posted:

Who's Zephrite?

Nobody, they meant Nephrite (though unlike Uranus/Neptune, that particular relationship only existed in the 90's Sailor Moon anime).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 5, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Ash is going to win the Alolan League

He's certainty due for one at any rate (if I recall correctly the only tournaments he's ever won so far were the Orange Islands and Battle Frontier).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So is this upcoming Mewtwo movie just going to be a straight remake of the original only now with terrible CGI?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

d3lness posted:

I hope we don't get stuck with mandatory motion controls. I really couldn't get into the Let's Go games because of that.

The motion controls in Let's Go are only mandatory if you're not playing in handheld mode. Otherwise you're free to use the control stick and buttons.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RatHat posted:

I've played every generation and I've never seen a shiny.

Technically that's impossible as Gen 2 features an encounter with a shiny Gyarados as part of the plot (which is also the only one I've ever encountered when playing these games, though then again I don't really care about going out of my way to look for them).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, is the Detective Pikachu game any good (also is there any actual combat in it or is it mostly just an adventure game where you're going around investigating things)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So not worth the time then, too bad.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Porygon and its evolutions have still not appeared in the anime since the infamous seizure-inducing episode way back in Season 1 (though the scene in question was technically Pikachu’s fault) have they?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dehry posted:

Oak's Japanese VA died too so they're probably going to find a way to write around him now.

Typically if a character is important enough they’ll generally replace them (and there have been some rare instances of Japanese VAs being replaced while the original actor was still alive).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, at this point we have no idea how many old Pokemon will even be in the Galar Dex (also Home won't even be out until next year so there's plenty of time for them to change their minds). It just kind of feels like people are jumping to conclusions a bit prematurely here.

Personally I don't care, I've never transferred Pokemon from version to version and don't really go out of my way to bother with the whole collectathon aspect of these games (instead just choosing to get a decent team assembled and then treat the rest of the game like a standard RPG). I can understand why some people might be upset but I'm fine with what we've seen of Sword & Shield so far and will probably enjoy the game on its own merits.

Also I kind of want the anime to use Dynamaxing as an excuse to give us some Pokemon Kaiju fights.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 17, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

They completely drop Lillie's fear of pokemon and start gearing her up to be a trainer (then don't give her anything for the next third of the series)

After Necrozma, it's all about giving the classmates character development so they're "ready" for the League, despite only having one or two pokemon at most and zero meaningful battle experience

I forget, was Lillie's fear actually resolved in a previous episode (I know she at least started to warm up to them a little bit more after getting Snowball) or did they just drop it entirely with no explanation?

It's been said before but Team Rocket are ironically more successful when they're just being regular people doing odd jobs as opposed to when they're actually trying to be evil.

On another note, does a new Pokemon season usually start before or after the game it's based on is released (we seem to be entering Sun & Moon's final arc now after all).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Considering gyms are back I’m assuming the Sword & Shield adaption is going to be a slightly more traditional season as opposed to switching things up again like they did here. As long as they can keep it interesting I’m fine with that personally.

That said, other than the fact that they severely toned down Lusamine I’ve been enjoying the SuMoon anime so far, it was a nice change of pace all things considered.

Seeing as the next game isn’t out until November (unless Japan’s getting it earlier) I’m curious how they’re going to drag things out for 4 more months as well as how badly Ash is going to lose this time around. I’m hoping he makes it to the fight with Kakui/Masked Royal at least.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 23, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Have they even said anything about GO being compatible with Sword & Shield?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

USUM didn't have as good writing, especially where Lillie and Lusamine were concerned, IMO. (I'm still bitter they removed the scene on exeggutor island)
I'm also pretty sure XY had intended on having a third version, but it got cut to focus on gen 7 instead - mainly because of the weird inclusion of the zygarde stuff, which screams "we wanted to make this important in Z version but whoops"

Considering Zygarde debuted in the anime long before it actually showed up in the games I wouldn't doubt that (though then again technically so did Ho-oh).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, personally the only time I ever tried to go for full Dex completion was in Gen 1 and have never bothered transferring Pokemon from gen to gen, instead just focusing more on getting a decent team together and then treating the rest of the game like a standard RPG.

In other words, I honestly don’t care about half the poo poo people are complaining about and instead just plan to judge SwSh on its own merits. I understand why these changes might upset some people but I also don’t really think it deserves quite this level of fan outcry either.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Why does Masked guy get an automatic bid to the finals? Is this Karate Kid 3 rules?

Because Masked Royal is Professor Kakui and he’s the one who set this tournament up to begin with.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Lillie could easily kick Gladion's rear end.

Also is this the first time Jessie and James have a real pokemon battle against each other?

As far as I remember yes, I'm definitely looking forward to that one. Mallow Vs Lana could be fun as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 9, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

indigi posted:

Mina should wipe the floor with Sophocles and Lana should embarrass Mallow imo

e: not literally embarrass, just thoroughly whip her mons' asses

Unless future episode titles say otherwise I'm pretty sure Mallow has no chance (anime Lana is terrifying when she gets serious).

Silver2195 posted:

Didn’t James blast Jessie and Meowth off that one time when they were trying to kidnap Pokémon his grandparents were taking care of?

What season was this?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zuzie posted:

Ehhh... It's more likely that Mimikyu and Mareanie will be dumped at Team Rocket's Headquarters and Bewear remains in Alola. Mostly to make room for 2 Gen 8 monsters that'll become the designated "bad guy" Pokemon.

I wouldn't be surprised if Team Rocket winds up getting an Impadimp next season. I do question how they're actually going to leave Alola though with Bewear constantly watching over them.

Another thing I like is that since at least XY the writers have finally realized that you don't need to cram Team Rocket into every episode (and the current season once again proves that Jessie and James are basically good at everything except their chosen profession).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

I wonder if the de facto ban on the Porygon line in the anime will be lifted eventually. It’s been 20 years, and every part of the franchise except the anime uses Porygon freely.

The incident in question wasn’t even Porygon’s fault (the seizure inducing scene in that episode was technically caused by Pikachu).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, Wobbuffet has been Team Rocket’s longest running Pokemon for some reason (unless you want to count Meowth that is).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zuzie posted:

Wobbuffet's still there because of its running gag... Which only works in Japanese and possibly French due to how it's name was localized.

What does its Japanese name mean?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I think the reference to the comedian is just a bonus for the oldies, the name joke is timeless.

I also never understood what they were going for with Wobuffet's name but I looked it up and it turns out they were going for "wobble" plus "buffet?" And they did not hit that mark.

To be fair, is there another way to localize the Japanese name you can think of that would keep the pun intact?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zuzie posted:

Unfortunately, she's going to go up against Guzma.

She’s probably going down hard but I hope Lana at least puts up a decent fight against him.

I’d prefer her to win honestly (especially since every male vs female match in this most recent episode ended in a victory for the former) but I have a feeling Guzma will wind up making it to Ash if only for thematic reasons.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I also didn't really like that they removed Iris' gym leader status completely (I know she was just a version exclusive one in the games but they could have always just made it that both of them were the leaders of that particular gym or something).

In regards to Sun & Moon, they also toned down Lusamine quite a bit (though even by Japanese standards I'm not sure you could get away with using her game persona in a children's anime).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

whether they could use her or not, I think that kind of storyline is all wrong for Sun & Moon's tone.

Fair, if this had been a more traditional season with Lillie serving as Ash's obligatory female traveling companion maybe they could have gotten away with sticking a little closer to the game but I admit it doesn't really work as well here.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 22, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, does super serious Team Rocket stick around for the entirety of Best Wishes or do they go back to normal eventually?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Her Shaymin specifically can't assume its sky form yet. She's only training it until it's mature enough to do so.

Which means that unless the show is doing anything past the current tournament arc it’s probably not going to happen. Then again, SwSh doesn’t drop until November so it’s possible that they could drag the Sun & Moon anime out a little while longer.

I forget, does a new Pokemon anime typically start before, after, or around the same time that the next mainline game comes out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, does the concept of an Elite Four even exist in the anime? I know that at least a few members from various regions pop up from time to time but I don’t know if the official group has ever been mentioned.